Philippi (in Greek polytonic|Φίλιπποι/ "Philippoi") was a city in eastern Macedonia, in northern
ancient Greece, founded by Philip II in 356 BCand abandoned in the 14th century after the Ottoman conquest. The present municipality Filippoiis located near the ruins of the ancient city and it is part of the periphery of East Macedonia, Greece.
Philippi was founded by the
king of Macedon, Philip II, on the site of the Thasian colony of Krinides or Crenides(polytonic|Κρηνἱδες, "Fountains"), near the head of the Aegean Seaat the foot of Mt. Orbelos (the modern Mt. Lekani), about 8 miles north-west of Kavalla, on the northern border of the marsh that in Antiquity covered the entire plain separating it from the Pangaion hillsto the south.
The objective of founding the town was to take control of the neighbouring
goldmines and to establish a garrison at a strategic passage: the site controlled the route between Amphipolisand Neapolis, part of the great royal route which crosses Macedonia from the east to the west and which was reconstructed later by the Roman Empireas the " Via Egnatia". Philip II endowed the new city with important fortifications, which partially blocked the passage between the swamp and Mt. Orbelos, and sent colonists to occupy it. Philip also had the marsh partially drained, as is attested by the writer Theophrastus. Philippi preserved its autonomy within the kingdom of Macedon, and had its own political institutions (the "Assembly" of the " demos"). The discovery of new gold mines near the city, at Asyla, contributed to the wealth of the kingdom, and Philip established a mint there. The city was finally fully integrated into the kingdom under Philip V.
The city remained despite its modest size of perhaps 2000 people. When the Romans destroyed the
Antigonid dynastyof Macedon in 167 BCand divided it into four separate states ("merides"), it was Amphipolis and not Philippi that became the capital of the eastern Macedonian state.
Almost nothing is known about the city in this period, aside from the walls, the
Greek theatre, the foundations of a house under the Roman forum, and a little temple dedicated to a hero cult. This monument covers the tomb of a certain Exekestos, is possibly situated on the agora, and is dedicated to the κτίστης ("ktistès"), the foundation hero of the city.
The Roman era
The city reappears in the sources during the Roman civil war that followed the assassination of
Julius Caesar. His heirs Mark Antonyand Octavian confronted the assassins of Caesar, Marcus Junius Brutusand Cassius, at the Battle of Philippiin the plain to the west of the city in October, 42 BC. Antony and Octavian were victorious in this final battle against the partisans of the Republic. They released some of their veteran soldiers, probably from legion XXVIII, and colonized them in the city, which was refounded as "Colonia Victrix Philippensium". In 30 BC, Octavian became Roman emperor, reorganized the colony, and established more settlers there, veterans possibly from the Praetorian Guardand other Italians. The city was renamed "Colonia Iulia Philippensis", and then "Colonia Augusta Iulia Philippensis" after January, 27 BC, when Octavian received the title Augustusfrom the Roman Senate.
Following this second renaming, and perhaps after the first, the territory of Philippi was centuriated (divided into squares of land) and distributed to the colonists. The city kept its Macedonian walls, and its general plan was modified only partially by the construction of a forum, a little to the east of the site of Greek agora. It was a "miniature Rome," under the municipal law of Rome and governed by two military officers, the "duumviri", who were appointed directly from Rome.
The colony recognized its dependence on the mines that brought it its privileged position on the "Via Egnatia". This wealth was shown by the many monuments that were particularly imposing considering the relatively small size of the urban area: the forum, laid out in two terraces on both sides of the main road, was constructed in several phases between the reigns of
Claudiusand Antoninus Pius, and the theatre was enlarged and expanded in order to hold Roman games. There is an abundance of Latininscriptions testifying the prosperity of the city.
In AD 49 or 50, the city was visited by the apostle Paul who was guided there by a vision (Acts 16:9-10). Accompanied by
Silas, Timothyand possibly Luke, the author of the Acts of the Apostles, he preached for the first time on European soil in Philippi (Acts 16:12-40) and baptized Lydia, a purpledye merchant, in a river to the west of the city. While in Philippi, his exorcism of a demon from a slave girl caused a great uproar in the city, which led to their (Paul and Silas) arrest and public beating (Acts 16:16-24). An earthquake caused their prison to be opened. When the jailer awoke, he prepared to kill himself, thinking all the prisoners had escaped and knowing that he would be severely punished. Paul stopped him, indicating that all the prisoners were in fact still there. The jailer then became one of the first Christians in Europe (Acts 16:25-40). At this time, there was barely a Jewish community and no synagogue(Acts 16:13). Those Jews present did not seem to include any men and met by the river, a common meeting place in the absence of a synagogue.
Paul visited the city on two other occasions, in 56 and 57. The
Epistle to the Philippiansdates from around 61-62 and shows the immediate impact of Paul's instruction. The subsequent development of Christianityin Philippi is well-attested, notably by a letter from Polycarp of Smyrna addressed to the community in Philippi around 160 and by funerary inscriptions.
The early Christian era
The first church attested in the city is a small building that was probably originally a small prayer house. This "Basilica of Paul", identified by an
mosaicinscription on the pavement, is dated around 343 from a mention by the bishop Porphyrios, who was present at the Council of Serdica that year.
From the Acts of the Apostles(bibleref|Acts|16:12) and the letter to the Philippians (bibleref|Philippians|1:1), early Christians concluded that Paul had founded their community. The prosperity of the city in the 5th and 6th centuries was attributed to him and to his ministry. As in other cities, many new ecclesiastical buildings were constructed at this time. Seven different churches were constructed in Philippi between the mid-4th century and the end of the 6th, some of which competed in size and decoration with the most beautiful buildings in
Thessalonica, or even those of Constantinople. The relationship of the plan and of the architectural decoration of Basilica B with Hagia Sophiaand Saint Irene in Constantinople accorded a privileged place to this church in the history of early Christian art. The complex cathedral which took the place of the Basilica of Paul at the end of the 5th century, constructed around an octagonal church, also rivaled the churches of Constantinople.
In the same age, the fortifications of the city were rebuilt in order to better defend against the growing instability in the
Balkans. In 473, the city was besieged by the Ostrogoths, who were unable to take it but burned down the surrounding villages.
The Byzantine and Ottoman era
Already weakened by the Slavic invasions at the end of the 6th century, which ruined the agrarian economy of Macedonia, and probably also by the
Plague of Justinianin 547, the city was almost totally destroyed by an earthquakearound 619, from which it never recovered. There was a small amount of activity there in the 7th century, but the city was now hardly more than a village.
Byzantine Empirepossibly maintained a garrison there, but in 838 the city was taken by the Bulgarsunder khan Isbul, who celebrated their victory with a monumental inscription on the stylobatein Basilica B, now partially in ruins. The site of Philippi was so strategically sound that the Byzantines attempted very soon to recapture it ca. 850. Several seals of civil servants and other Byzantine officials, dated to the first half of the 9th century, prove the presence of Byzantine armies in the city.
Around 969, Emperor
Nicephorus IIPhocas rebuilt the fortifications on the acropolis and in part of the city. These gradually helped weaken Bulgar power and strengthen the Byzantine presence in the area. In 1077, Bishop Basil Kartzimopoulos rebuilt part of the defenses inside the city. The city began to prosper once more, as witnessed by the Arab geographer Al Idrisi, who mentions it as a centre of business and wineproduction around 1150.
After a brief occupation by the
Franksafter the Fourth Crusadeand the capture of Constantinople in 1204, the city fell into the hands of the Serbs. Still, it remained a notable fortification on the route of the ancient " Via Egnatia"; in 1354, the pretender to the Byzantine throne, Matthew Cantacuzenus, was captured there by the Serbs.
The city was abandoned at an unknown date, but when the French traveller Pierre Belon visited it in the 16th century, there were nothing but ruins, used by the Turks as a quarry. The name of the city was preserved at first by a Turkish village on the nearby plain, Philibedjik, which has since disappeared, and then by a Greek village in the mountains.
Archaeological excavation of the site
Noted or briefly described by 16th century travellers, the first archaeological description of the city was made in 1856 by Perrot, then in 1861 by L. Heuzey and H. Daumet in their famous "Mission archéologique de Macédoine". Nevertheless the first excavations did not begin until the summer of 1914, and were soon interrupted by the
First World War. The excavations, carried out by the École française d'Athènes, were renewed in 1920 and continued until 1937. During this time the Greek theatre, the forum, Basilicas A and B, the baths, and the walls were excavated. After the Second World War, Greek archaeologists returned to the site. From 1958 to 1978 the Société Archéologique, then the Service archéologique and the University of Thessalonica uncovered the bishop's quarter and the octagonal church, large private residences, a new basilica near the Museum and two others in the necropolisto the east of the city.
Translated from the French Wikipedia article, retrieved
February 11, 2005. That article, in turn, gives the following references:
*P. Collart, "Philippes ville de Macédoine de ses origines jusqu'à la fin de l'époque romaine", Paris, 1937. (In French.)
*P. Lemerle, "Philippes et la Macédoine orientale", Paris, 1945. (In French.)
*M. Sève, "De la naissance à la mort d'une ville : Philippes en Macédoine (IVe siècle av. J.-C.–VIIe siècle apr. J.-C.)", "Histoire urbaine" n° 1, juin 2000, 187–204. (In French.)
*Ch. Bakirtzis, H. Koester (ed.), "Philippi at the Time of Paul and after His Death", Harrisburg, 1998. (In English.)
*Ch. Koukouli-Chrysanthaki, Ch. Bakirtzis, "Philippi" Athens, second edition, 1997. (In English.)
*G. Gounaris, E. Gounaris, "Philippi: Archaeological Guide", Thessaloniki, 2004. (In Greek.)
* [http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12007b.htm Philippi] - Catholic Encyclopedia
* [http://www.livius.org Livius] , [http://www.livius.org/phi-php/philippi/philippi.html Philippi] by Jona Lendering (ancient history)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Philippi — • Macedonian town on the borders of Thracia • Titular metropolitan see in Macedonia. Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006. Philippi ♦ … Catholic encyclopedia
Philippi — Philippi, WV U.S. city in West Virginia Population (2000): 2870 Housing Units (2000): 1260 Land area (2000): 2.839888 sq. miles (7.355276 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.095972 sq. miles (0.248567 sq. km) Total area (2000): 2.935860 sq. miles… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Philippi, WV — U.S. city in West Virginia Population (2000): 2870 Housing Units (2000): 1260 Land area (2000): 2.839888 sq. miles (7.355276 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.095972 sq. miles (0.248567 sq. km) Total area (2000): 2.935860 sq. miles (7.603843 sq. km)… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Philippi  — Philippi, 1) (a. Geogr.), Stadt in dem mit Macedonien verbundenen Thracien, am Berg Pangäos u. am Fluß Gangas, mit Goldbergwerken in der Nähe. P., früher Krenides, wurde benannt nach Philipp I. von Macedonien, als er diesen Theil Macedoniens… … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Philippi  — Philippi, Karl Ferdinand, geb. 1792 in Leipzig von jüdischen Eltern, hieß eigentlich Lippert, ließ sich taufen u. nahm dabei den Namen P. an; studirte in Leipzig, hielt sich dann bis 1816 in der Oberlausitz auf u. wurde Director der… … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Philippi  — Philippi, im Altertum Stadt in Mazedonien, nahe der thrakischen Grenze in der Ebene des Angites, anfänglich als athenische Kolonie (seit 360) von den dortigen Quellen Krenides. später nach Philipp von Mazedonien, der die Stadt 358 eroberte und… … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Philippi  — Philippi, 1) Rudolf Amandus, Botaniker, geb. 14. Sept. 1808 in Charlottenburg, gest. 23. Juli 1904 in Santiago de Chile, studierte seit 1826 in Berlin Medizin und Naturwissenschaft, wurde 1835 Lehrer an der höhern Gewerbeschule in Kassel und 1849 … Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon
Philippi — Philippi, alte Stadt in Mazedonien, berühmt durch den Sieg, den Antonius und Octavianus 42 v. Chr. über Cassius und Brutus erfochten. Paulus stiftete zu P. eine christl. Gemeinde (s. Philipperbrief) … Kleines Konversations-Lexikon
Philippi  — Philippi, Felix, Schriftsteller, geb. 5. Aug. 1851 zu Berlin, lebt das.; schrieb zahlreiche Dramen: »Die kleine Frau« (1891), »Wohltäter der Menschheit« (1895), »Der Dornenweg« (1895), »Wer war s?« (1896), »Das Erbe« (1898), »Der goldene Käfig«… … Kleines Konversations-Lexikon
Philippi  — Philippi, Friedr. Adolf, luth. Theolog, geb. 15. Okt. 1809 zu Berlin, von jüd. Eltern, 1829 Christ, 1841 Prof. in Dorpat, 1852 in Rostock, gest. 29. Aug. 1882; seine »Kirchliche Glaubenslehre« (6 Bde., 1854 fg.) gilt als das Hauptwerk der luth.… … Kleines Konversations-Lexikon