Tanjung Langsat Port

Tanjung Langsat Port (TLP) is the third port in Johor, Malaysia, designed to complement the Port of Tanjung Pelepas and Johor Port in Pasir Gudang. Positioning itself as Southeast Asia's premier speciality terminal, it handles bulk cargo such as liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) and dangerous chemicals.

Initiated in 1995 and commencing partial operation in 2003, TLP is situated 12 nautical miles (22 km) from the international shipping lane, 8 km from Johor Port, and 45 kilometres from Johor Bahru. It has 3.09 square kilometres (763 acres) of land within the port area and a 4.5 kilometre shoreline fronting the Straits of Johor.

Facilities and services

When completed in 2012, Tanjung Langsat Port facilities will include:
* L-shaped twin-berth jetty capable of handling medium-range tankers of up to DWT|30,000|metric|first=yes;
* Marine support base;
* Deep sea fishing terminal/multi-purpose wharves;
* Liquid cargo terminal.

The main activities of the port are:
* Petrochemicals and liquid bulk handling;
* Marine support base;
* Deep-sea fishing and multipurpose/barter trade terminal;
* Processing and storage of petroleum based and liquid bulk cargo;
* International cruise center.

Petrochemical industries will account for 60% of the activities at the complex, with gas production, steel-making, and marine and marine-related industries making up the remaining 40%. Several chemical companies operating in the Pasir Gudang industrial area have opened new manufacturing facilities at TLP due to space constraints in Pasir Gudang.

TLP is targeting petroleum-based liquid bulk cargo from the industrial area around Pasir Gudang as well as the adjacent "Tanjung Langsat Industrial Estate" developed for petrochemical facilities. The 18.87 square kilometre industrial estate was developed by Johor Corporation, especially for heavy industries, including petroleum and gas. Johor Corporation, the investment arm of the Johor state government, holds 95% equity interest in the company, while the remaining 5% is held by its wholly owned subsidiary, TPM Technopark Sdn. Bhd.

Competition

TLP is expected to face stiff competition from existing integrated petrochemical complexes in Pahang and Terengganu, as well as overseas, namely the Banyan Logistics Hub on Singapore's Jurong Island, and the Majisan Port, off the coast of the Shanghai Chemical Industry Park (SCIP) at Caojing, China. All are vying to become the Asian chemical logistics hub. Currently, large chemical carriers usually transfer cargo to smaller ships at Singapore or Ulsan, South Korea. However, TLP's deepwater facility will lend itself a comparative advantage.

Because of its proximity, TLP is a competitor of the Port of Singapore where complaints over high cost have been rather persistent. Already, Trafigura Pte. Ltd., a Swiss-based oil trading company, has planned to shift the bulk of its petroleum storage operations from Singapore to TLP, once the construction of the petroleum storage facilities is completed in 2008. According to Ichiro Tokuhashi, its managing director, operating at TLP would be 60% cheaper.

External links

* [http://www.tlp.com.my/Default.php Official Homepage of Tanjung Langsat Port]
* http://www.tlp.com.my/articleview.php?id=20
* http://www.tlp.com.my/articleview.php?id=18

Archives Current Archives

Tanjung Langsat industrial complex in Johor attracts RM8.3b investments11 May, 2005

The Tanjung Langsat Industrial Complex in Pasir Gudang, Johor has so far managed to attract more than RM8.3 billion worth of investments.

Tanjung Langsat Port Sdn Bhd (TLPSB) Chairman Tan Sri Muhamad Ali Hashim said demand for the port facilities and services for handling bulk cargo is expected to rise rapidly including from foreign companies due to its role as an integrated petrochemical complex.

Tanjung Langsat Port (TLP) is designed to handle bulk cargo like liquefied petroleum gas and dangerous chemicals. It has been ready for commercial operations since 2003.

Petrochemical industries will account for 60% of the activities at the complex, with gas production, steel-making and marine and marine-related industries making up the remaining 40%.

"Several chemical companies operating in the Pasir Gudang Industrial area have opened new manufacturing facilities at TLP due to space constraints in Pasir Gudang," said Muhamad Ali, who is also Chief Executive of Johor Corp (JCorp).

TLPSB is a subsidiary of JCorp.

He said the port's strongest selling point is the seafront location of the petrochemical complex, the proximity of Johor Port and Tanjung Pelepas and an abundance of raw materials for the petrochemical industry.

He said four plants which have started operations in the complex produce about 370,000 tonnes of palm-based fatty acids each year and the capacity is expected to increase shortly to 500,000 tonnes.

JCorp had invested more than RM400 million in the port's development and invested another RM80.9 million to develop the necessary port facilities and supporting infrastructure.

TLP now possesses a modern L-shaped twin berth jetty capable of handling medium range tankers of up to 30,000 deadweight tonnes (dwt).

The main strength of TLP is its vast land banks of more than 280ha, including 120ha that are to be reclaimed.

The port also has the unique advantage of having a long stretch of water frontage of 4.5km for future expansion of its wharves and jetties.

Adapted from "Business Times", 11 May, 2005

Back to News Archive


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Tanjung Langsat — is a main industrial area and port in Pasir Gudang, Johor, Malaysia …   Wikipedia

  • Iskandar Malaysia — Iskandar Malaysia, formerly known as Iskandar Development Region (IDR) and South Johor Economic Region (SJER) is the new main southern development corridor in Johor, Malaysia. The Iskandar Malaysia was established on 30 July 2006. It is named… …   Wikipedia

  • List of Malaysia-related topics — This is a list of topics related to Malaysia.Buildings and structures in Malaysia* Angkasapuri * Berjaya Times Square * Chin Swee Temple * Connaught Bridge Power Station * Kellie s Castle * Kelong * Kota Ngah Ibrahim * Malay houses * Malaysian… …   Wikipedia

  • Johor — Subdivisions of Malaysia native name=جوهر دارالتّعظيم Johor Darul Ta zim conventional long name= state motto= Kepada Allah Berserah state anthem= Lagu Bangsa Johor common name=Johor capital=Johor Bahru royal capital=Pasir Pelangi1… …   Wikipedia

  • List of seaports — This is a list of the world s seaports, arranged by their respective seas and oceans:Atlantic Ocean*Abidjan, Ivory Coast *Accra, Ghana *A Coruña, Spain *Avilés, Spain *Bahía Blanca, Argentina *Rosales, Argentina *Belgrano, Argentina *Banana,… …   Wikipedia

  • Pasir Gudang Highway — Federal Route 17 Pasir Gudang Highway Route information Length: 30.4 km (18.9 mi) Existed …   Wikipedia

  • Jalan Masai Lama — Johor State Route J10 Major junctions West end: Tebrau Highway Carrefour Hypermarket Tebrau   …   Wikipedia

  • Masai, Johor — Masai Masai main street …   Wikipedia

  • Nusajaya — 努沙再也 னுஸஜய City Country Malaysia State …   Wikipedia

  • Kulai Municipal Council — The officially used coat of arms of MPKu The seal of Majlis Perbandaran Kulai …   Wikipedia

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.