Milken Family Foundation
Milken Family Foundation Formation 1982 Type Private foundation Headquarters Santa Monica, California Region served Global Leader Lowell Milken, Chairman & Co-Founder
Michael Milken, Co-Founder
The foundation is focused primarily on supporting education and medical research.
Among the foundation's initiatives are:
- The Milken Educator Awards, a teacher recognition program awarding $25,000 to individual educators for teaching excellence;
- TAP: The System for Teacher and Student Advancement, a comprehensive school reform incorporating career advancement, collaborative professional development, teacher accountability and performance-based compensation;
- Milken Archive of Jewish Music, a cultural and historic project dedicated to preserving the diverse body of sacred and secular music inspired by 350 years of Jewish life in America;
- The Lowell Milken Center, an institution dedicated to the development of educational projects that feature unsung heroes as role models to 'repair the world.' Howard Cohen, Chancellor of Purdue University/Calumet, said about the LM Center: “History is not history until it is written or told. This is what you are doing so well with your unsung hero projects.”
The Milken Educator Awards has created a network of more than 2,400 teachers who have served as resources to policymakers, researchers, the media and general public on their subject areas.
The TAP system was profiled in Education Week for its comprehensive approach to school reform. The Center for American Progress released "Aligned by Design," a report by education researcher Craig Jerald that elaborated on this concept to specifically show how TAP's elements work together. South Carolina TAP was featured in TIME Magazine's February 2008 cover storyj. In 2006, BusinessWeek ranked TAP on its Top 10 List of Best Practices.
TAP's operating organization, the National Institute for Excellence in Teaching collaborates with other national education groups on teacher effectiveness issues. More than ten organizations co-wrote Creating a Successful Performance Compensation System for Educators, which lays out the essentials for an effective, comprehensive reform system.
- ^ TAP: More Than Performance Pay
- ^ "Aligned by Design,"
- ^ "How to Make Great Teachers"
- ^ Top 10 List of Best Practices
- ^ Creating a Successful Performance Compensation System for Educators
This article about a philanthropic or charitable organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.