Boilermaker (beer cocktail)
A boilermaker is a beer cocktail consisting of a glass of beer and a shot of whisky, tequila, or vodka. The beer is either served as a chaser or is mixed with the liquor. When the beer is served as a chaser, the drink is often called simply a shot and a beer.
In various regions of the United States, the drink is known as a beer and a bump.
There are various ways to drink a boilermaker:
“Generally speaking, the Boilermaker is merely a glass of beer with a shot of whiskey served on the side. The shot goes down in one, and the beer follows, being sipped rather than quickly downed.”
- Traditionally, the liquor is imbibed in a single gulp and is chased by the beer.
- The liquor and beer may be mixed by pouring or dropping the shot into the beer. The mixture may be stirred, if desired. If the shot is dropped in, the drink is known as a depth charge.
- The liquor may be poured directly into an open beer bottle or can after removing some of the beer.
- ^ Walkart, C.G. (2002). National Bartending Center Instruction Manual. Oceanside, California: Bartenders America, Inc. p. 123. ASIN: B000F1U6HG. “Serve whiskey in a shot glass with a glass of beer on the side as a chaser.”
- ^ Doeser, Linda. (2009)The Cocktail Bible Parragon Books. United Kingdom. p. 38.
- ^ Regan, Gary (2003). The Joy of Mixology (first ed.). New York: Clarkson Potter. p. 226. ISBN 0609608843.
- ^ a b Hellmich, Mittie (2006). The Ultimate Bar Book: The Comprehensive Guide to Over 1,000 Cocktails. Chronicle Books. pp. 93–94. ISBN 0811843513. http://books.google.com/books?id=ds5uVGQM8OAC&lpg=PA93&dq=boilermaker%20drink&pg=PA93#v=onepage&q=boilermaker%20drink&f=false.
Alcoholic beverages History and production History of alcohol Production Alcoholic beverages Fermented beverage Distilled beverage Fortified wine (category) Distilled beverages by ingredients Grain Fruit
Apple: Applejack · Calvados · Cashew apple: Fenny · Coconut: Arrack · Grape: Arak · Armagnac · Brandy · Cognac · Pisco · Plum: Slivovitz · Ţuică · Pomace: Chacha · Grappa · Marc · Orujo · Tsikoudia · Tsipouro · Zivania · Various/other fruit: Eau de vie · Kirschwasser · Nalewka · Pálinka · Rakia · Schnaps
Other Liqueurs and infused distilled beverages by ingredients
Almond: Amaretto · Crème de Noyaux · Anise: Absinthe · Arak · Ouzo · Pastis · Raki · Sambuca · Chocolate · Cinnamon: Tentura · Coconut: Malibu · Coffee: Kahlua · Tia Maria · Egg: Advocaat · Hazelnut: Frangelico · Herbs: Aquavit · Bénédictine · Brennivín · Crème de menthe · Metaxa · Minttu · Honey: Bärenjäger · Drambuie · Glayva · Krupnik · Juniper: Gin · Jenever · Orange: Campari · Curaçao · Triple sec · Star anise: Sassolino · Sugarcane/molasses: Charanda · Various/other fruit: Crème de banane · Crème de cassis · Limoncello · Schnapps · Sloe gin
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Beer cocktail — A shot glass containing Midori was dropped into a glass of shandy, making a fairly potent beer cocktail. A beer cocktail is a cocktail that is made by mixing beer with a distilled beverage. In this type of cocktail, the primary ingredient is beer … Wikipedia
Carbomb (beer cocktail) — WPMIXInfobox iba = name = Carbomb caption = An example of an Irish car bomb with Guinness and Irish cream. type = beer served = neat garnish = drinkware = pubshot ingredients = one half shot (1 part) of Irish whiskey, 3/4 pint of stout ( 24… … Wikipedia
List of cocktails — Contents 1 Cocktails with absinthe 2 Cocktails with beer 3 Cocktails with brandy or cognac … Wikipedia
Meltdown (drink) — A Meltdown is a beer cocktail. It is similar to a Boilermaker, consisting of a shot of Everclear, and a glass of beer. A shot glass of Everclear is dropped into the beer, the shot glass sinks along with the Everclear, hence the name Meltdown … Wikipedia
Soju — Infobox Korean name width=150px caption=Bottle of Chamisul soju with branded glass hangul=소주 hanja= rr=Soju mr=Soju Soju is a distilled beverage native to Korea. Most brands of modern soju are made in South Korea. Though traditionally made from… … Wikipedia
drink — I (Roget s IV) n. 1. [A liquid for drinking, or a portion of this] Syn. beverage, sip, gulp, potion, potable, libation, drop, bottle, glass, toast, belt, refreshment, thirst quencher, draft, potation, drinkable, liquid, quaff, brew, tonic, tall… … English dictionary for students
Jägerbomb — WPMIXInfobox iba = name = Jägerbomb caption = A shot of Jägermeister being dropped into Red Bull, creating a Jägerbomb. type = Jägermeister flaming = nokjh; beer = no served = neat garnish = drinkware = pubshot ingredients = one can or one half… … Wikipedia