Standard test image
A standard test image is a digital image file used across different institutions to test
image processingand image compressionalgorithms. By using the same standard test images, different labs are able to compare results, both visually and quantitatively. The images are in many cases chosen to represent natural or typical images that a class of processing techniques would need to deal with. Other test images are chosen because they present a range of challenges to image reconstruction algorithms, such as the reproduction of fine detail and textures, sharp transitions and edges, and uniform regions.
The most widely published standard test image is the
Lennaimage, from a 1972 centerfold photograph of "Playboy" model Lena Soderberg.
Kodak test set for compression comparisons
Kodakhas released a set of 24 losslessly compressed 768×512 images, available as PNGs, that are widely used for comparing image compression techniques. [cite web | url = http://r0k.us/graphics/kodak/ | title = Kodak Lossless True Color Image Suite | author = Rich Franzen | accessdate = 2007-08-13]
Common test images
The standard size of the images are usually 512x512 or 720x576. Most of these images are freely available as TIFF files from the
University of Southern California's Signal and Image Processing Institute. [ [http://sipi.usc.edu/database/index.html USC-SIPI Image Database ] ]
FERET database(DARPA/NIST face recognition database)
* [http://r0k.us/graphics/kodak/ True-color Kodak test images]
* [http://sipi.usc.edu/database/index.html The USC-SIPI Image Database] — A large collection of free standard test images
* [http://www.imagecompression.info/test_images/ The New Test Images] — High-resolution high-precision images for image compression research and algorithm evaluation.
* [http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/project/cil/ftp/html/v-images.html Computer Vision website] — A large collection of links to various test images
* [http://www.hlevkin.com/ All Test Images] — Collection of various test images
* [http://www.cvg.rdg.ac.uk/datasets/index.html Vision @ Reading] — University of Reading's set of popular test images
* [http://www.cs.tut.fi/~foi/GCF-BM3D Color and grayscale image denoising] — Includes MATLAB denoising codes and many of the standard grayscale and color test images
* [http://decsai.ugr.es/~javier/denoise/test_images/ Denoising of natural images]
* [http://www.inf.uni-konstanz.de/cgip/bib/files/KoSz99b.pdf Image structure preserving of lossy compression]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Standard Test Data Format — (STDF) is a proprietary file format for semiconductor test information originally developed by Teradyne, but now widely used de facto throughout the semiconductor industry. It is a commonly used format produced by Automatic Test Equipment (ATE)… … Wikipedia
Image compression — is the application of Data compression on digital images. In effect, the objective is to reduce redundancy of the image data in order to be able to store or transmit data in an efficient form.Image compression can be lossy or lossless. Lossless… … Wikipedia
Test Card F — is a test card that was created by the BBC and used on television in the United Kingdom and in countries elsewhere in the world for more than four decades. Like other test cards, it was usually shown while no programmes were being broadcast, but… … Wikipedia
Image file formats — are standardized means of organising and storing images. This entry is about digital image formats used to store photographic and other images; (for disk image file formats see Disk image). Image files are composed of either pixel or vector… … Wikipedia
Standard illuminant — A standard illuminant is a profile or spectrum of visible light which is published in order to allow images or colors recorded under different lighting to be compared.CIE illuminantsThe International Commission on Illumination (usually… … Wikipedia
Image scanner — Desktop scanner, with the lid raised. An object has been laid on the glass, ready for scanning … Wikipedia
Standard form contract — Contract law Part o … Wikipedia
Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation — The Standard Performance Evaluation Corporation (SPEC) is a non profit organization that aims to produce fair, impartial and meaningful benchmarks for computers. SPEC was founded in 1988 and their goal is to ensure that the marketplace has a fair … Wikipedia
Digital image processing — This article is about mathematical processing of digital images. For artistic processing of images, see Image editing. Paranal Observatory landscape after application of the city globe image technique. The Digital image processing is the use of… … Wikipedia
Joint Test Action Group — (JTAG) is the usual name used for the IEEE 1149.1 standard entitled Standard Test Access Port and Boundary Scan Architecture for test access ports used for testing printed circuit boards using boundary scan.JTAG was an industry group formed in… … Wikipedia