Crown Prince Soulivong Savang (born
May 8, 1963), grandson of the last King of Laos Savang Vatthana, is the pretenderto the Lao throne. Laoswas a constitutional monarchy until 1975, when the communist Pathet Laoseized control of the nation and began genocide and human rights violations of the Royal Lao family as a monarchy, and the indigenous Hmong peopleof Laos. Soulivong Savang lives in exile in Paris, France.Infobox_pretender
English name = Soulivong Savang
birth_date = Birth date and age|1963|5|8|mf=y
title = Crown Prince
pretend from = 1980
year = 1975
relationship = Grandson
house = Khun Lo Dynasty
mother = Princess Mahneelai
Soulivong Savang was born at the Royal Palace in
Luang Prabangto Crown Prince Vong Savangand Princess Mahneelaiof the Kingdom of Laos. After the communist revolution, some members of the Royal Family died while in communist're-education' camps. Prince Savang escaped from captivity in Laoswith his younger brother Prince Thayavong Savangin 1981, arriving in Franceas refugees. Those members of the Royal Family who did not escape were genocidally murdered or died of ill-treatment [Christopher Kremmer, Stalking the Elephant Kings, In Search of Laos (1997)] [Christopher Kremmer, Bamboo Palace, Discovering the Lost Dynasty of Laos (2003)] .
Soulivong Savang attended the University of
Clermont-Ferrandin Franceand also obtained a law degree. He has been working to bring "social and charitable reforms" for the people of Laos and the return of a constitutional monarchy to Laos to benefit the people. His Uncle Prince Sauryavong Savangis currently head of the Laotian royal family and acts as regentto his nephew.
In September 19,
1997, Soulivong Savang and his Uncle Prince Sauryavong Savang initiated a Royal Lao Conference in Seattle, United States. Over five hundred Lao exiles and representatives of the Hmong, Kmu, Mien, Thaidam and all ethnic minority community attended. This conference was to establish the Lao Representative Abroad Council.
In September 19, 1999, second conference was held in Montreal, Canada to followup the progress of LRAC work and help each others which is focus on non-profit organizationto support the local community and worldwide such as community development, social service provider, education and job development to bridge the community self-sufficiencyto promote cultural activity and charity support to become good citizens in country they livein. some of the goal and mission are the vision of the majority objective how the Lao_oversea can help and support the education and economic development in their motherland in the eyes of the 21st century.
The world conference of the Lao Abroad council was successfully acknowledge and complete dialogue among the Lao refugee concern. This organization is not and was not focuson the political activity like some media has been said. Our goal is to have re-united All Laotian Abroad and inside Laos to work for better understanding toward development of the country and to show the new generation to come most effectively educated and there will be their responsible leadership tomorrow.
On November 10th, 2007, the Prince married Princess Chansouk Soukthala. The ceremony, which took place in Canada, was overlooked by 800 guests.
Soulivong Savang works along with other members of the Lao Royal Family such as Prince
Sauryavong Savang, Prince Mangkra Souvannaphoumaand Prince Thayavong Savangto establish a constitutional monarchyin Laos.
Laotian Royal Family
* "If they need me to be Lao King I will be at their disposal."
* [http://www.abc.net.au/ra/asiapac/archive/2000/oct/raap-6oct2000-1.htm Crown Prince Soulivong Savang met with French Foreign Ministry officials and unveiled a plan to bring democracy to Laos]
* [http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/aponline/20000224/aponline180821_000.htm Exiled Laos Prince Appeals to US] by "
* [http://www.geocities.com/vangrhino/laos.html Former Royal Laos Flag & Laos National Anthem]
* [http://www.hmongtimes.com/displaynews.asp?ID=1192 The Prince of Laos visits with the Hmong community in Minnesota]
* [http://lao.football.free.fr/Democratie_Thou_Soulivong.htm Speech of His Royal Highness Prince Soulivong Savang] at
* [http://www.irrawaddy.org/database/2000/vol8.6/cover-2.html Political turmoil comes to one of the most isolated communist ruled countries in Southeast Asia]
* [http://servizi.radicalparty.org/documents/images/laos/laos_31122002_en.jpgPress release of the Lao Royal Family]
* [http://www.asiapacificms.com/articles/lao_royalty/ LAOS: ROYALTY Kingdom Come?]
* [http://www.abc.net.au/ra/newsdaily/s148390.htm Laos Royals offers to return to restore order]
* [http://hmongunivers.angelcities.com/news33.html Deposed Lao family adds royal touch to Farmington temple; Families gather for day of worship and remembrance]
* [http://lao.football.free.fr/010916/index.htm Laos Royals pay respects to September 11, 2001 Victims] (Photos)
* [http://servizi.radicalparty.org/documents/conference_southeast_asia/index.php?func=detail&par=183 Welcoming speech of Crown Prince Soulivong Savang] (French)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Soulivong Savang — Le prince Soulivong Savang, né en 1963, est l héritier du trône du Laos. Sauryavong Savang, le plus jeune fils de Savang Vatthana dernier roi du Laos, devient régent du royaume et président de la famille royale en exil en son nom. Portail de la… … Wikipédia en Français
Savang — ist der Name folgender Personen: Savang Vadhana, thailändische Königin Savang Vatthana (1907–1978), letzter König von Laos Sauryavong Savang (* 1937), Prinz von Laos Savivanh Savang (1933–2007), Prinzessin von Laos Soulivong Savang (* 1963),… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Savang Vatthana — Infobox Monarch name =King Savang Vatthana title =King of the Kingdom of Laos caption = reign =29 October, 1959–2 December, 1975 coronation = predecessor =Sisavang Vong successor =Pathet Lao took over in 1975 heir = consort =Queen Khamphoui issue … Wikipedia
Sauryavong Savang — Prince Sauryavong Savang (born 22 January 1937) is the youngest son of King Savang Vatthana of Laos, who was murdered by Communists. In 1965, he married Princess Dalavan and they have four children, Sthira Sauryavong, Dayavant Sauryavong,… … Wikipedia
Thayavong Savang — Prince Thayavong Savang (born April 17 1964) is a surviving member of the now deposed royal family of the Kingdom of Laos. He was born at the Royal Palace, Luang Prabang, Laos. His father is Prince Vong Savang and mother is Princess… … Wikipedia
Vong Savang — Infobox Monarch|royal name =Vong Savang title =Crown Prince of Laos caption = othertitles = The Crown Prince of Laos full name =Vong Savang spouse =Princess Mahneelai issue =Prince Soulivong Savang Prince Thayavong Savang Princess Manisophana… … Wikipedia
Laotian Royal Family — The Laotion Royal Family was the ruling family of the Kingdom of Laos from 1904 to 1975 and the group of close relatives of the monarch of the the Kingdom of Laos. King Sisavang Vong was the founder of the modern family, consisting a number of… … Wikipedia
List of Laos-related topics — This is a list of topics related to Laos. This is so that those interested in the subject can monitor changes to the pages by clicking on Recent changes in the sidebar.The list is not necessarily complete or up to date if you see an article that… … Wikipedia
Laos — /lah ohs, lows, lay os/; Fr. /lann aws /, n. a country in SE Asia: formerly part of French Indochina. 5,116,959; 91,500 sq. mi. (236,985 sq. km). Cap.: Vientiane. * * * Laos Introduction Laos Background: In 1975, the Communist Pathet Lao took… … Universalium
République démocratique populaire lao — Laos ສາທາລະນະລັດປະຊາທິປະໄຕ (lo) ປະຊາຊົນລາວ (lo) Sathalanalat Passathipatai … Wikipédia en Français