Municipal Borough of Chingford


Municipal Borough of Chingford
Chingford
Motto: All Things for the Glory of God
Chingford essex 1961.png
Chingford within Essex in 1961
Geography
Status Urban district (until 1938)
Municipal borough (after 1938)
1911 area 2,808 acres (11.4 km2)
1931 area 2,810 acres (11.4 km2)
1961 area 2,868 acres (11.6 km2)
HQ The Ridgeway
History
Origin Chingford parish
Created 1894
Abolished 1965
Succeeded by London Borough of Waltham Forest
Demography
1911 population
- 1911 density
8,184
2.9/acre
1931 population
- 1931 density
22,053
7.8/acre
1961 population
- 1961 density
45,787
15.9/acre
Politics
Governance Chingford Urban District Council
Chingford Borough Council
Chingford
Coat of arms of the borough council

Chingford was a local government district in south west Essex, England from 1894 to 1965, around the town of Chingford. It was within the London suburbs, forming part of the London postal district and Metropolitan Police District. Its former area now corresponds to the northern part of the London Borough of Waltham Forest in Greater London.

Contents

Background and formation

The ancient parish of Chingford formed part of the Waltham hundred of Essex.[1] It was included in the Metropolitan Police District in 1840 and from 1875 it formed part of the Epping Rural Sanitary District. In 1894 it became an urban district.

District and borough

Under a county review order in 1934, a small part of Waltham Holy Cross Urban District was transferred to Chingford. It gained the status of municipal borough in 1938.

Abolition

The Royal Commission on Local Government in Greater London considered the borough for inclusion in Greater London in 1965 and subsequently it was abolished by the London Government Act 1963. Its former area was transferred to Greater London from Essex to be combined with the Municipal Borough of Walthamstow and the Municipal Borough of Leyton to form the present-day London Borough of Waltham Forest.

References

  1. ^ Vision of Britain - Chingford parish. Retrieved on 22 July 2009.

Coordinates: 51°37′47″N 0°00′02″E / 51.6298°N 0.0006°E / 51.6298; 0.0006


Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.