Moore at the 2010 Time 100 Gala
Born Demi Gene Guynes
November 11, 1962
Roswell, New Mexico, U.S.
Occupation Actress Years active 1981–present Spouse Freddy Moore (1980–1985)
Bruce Willis (1987–2000)
Ashton Kutcher (2005–present)(separated)
Children Rumer Willis, Scout Willis, Tallulah Willis
Demi Guynes Kutcher ( // də-mee; born November 11, 1962 as Demi Gene Guynes), known professionally as Demi Moore, is an American actress. After minor roles in film and a role in the soap opera General Hospital, Moore established her career in films such as St. Elmo's Fire (1985), and in the early 1990s, became one of the highest paid actresses in Hollywood with her successes in Ghost (1990), A Few Good Men (1992), Indecent Proposal (1993), and Disclosure (1994).
Moore took her professional name from her first husband, musician Freddy Moore, and is the mother of three daughters from her second marriage to actor Bruce Willis. She married her third husband, actor Ashton Kutcher, in 2005, and separated from him in 2011.
Moore was born Demi Gene Guynes in Roswell, New Mexico. As a child, she had a difficult and unstable home life. Her biological father, Charles Harmon, left her mother, Virginia King (November 27, 1943 – July 2, 1998), after a two-month marriage, before Moore was born. As a result, Moore had the surname of her stepfather, Danny Guynes (March 9, 1943 – October 1980 by suicide), on her birth certificate. Danny Guynes frequently changed jobs; as a result, the family moved a total of forty times. Moore has two younger half-brothers: James Craig Harmon (paternal) and Morgan Guynes (maternal, born 1967). Her parents were alcoholics who often fought and beat each other. Moore was cross-eyed as a child and wore an eye patch in an attempt to correct the problem until it was ultimately corrected by two surgeries. She also suffered from kidney dysfunction.
Moore's family settled in Los Angeles in 1976. She attended Fairfax High School in Hollywood, where her schoolmates included Red Hot Chili Peppers frontman Anthony Kiedis, bassist Michael Balzary (aka Flea) and actor Timothy Hutton. When Moore was 16, her friend Nastassja Kinski persuaded her to drop out of school to become an actress.
After training with John Casablancas, the founder of Elite Model Management, Moore made her film debut in the 1982 3-D science fiction/horror film, Parasite, which was a hit on the drive-in circuit, ultimately grossing $7 million. However, Moore was not widely known until she played the part of Jackie Templeton on the ABC soap opera, General Hospital, from 1982 to 1983. Moore also had an uncredited cameo at the end of the 1982 spoof Young Doctors in Love.
In the mid-1980s, Moore appeared in the youth-oriented films St. Elmo's Fire, Blame It on Rio and About Last Night..., and she was often listed as one of the Brat Pack, a name the media dubbed a certain group of top young actors at the time. In 1988, she starred in The Seventh Sign directed by Carl Schultz. After the commercial success of Ghost, Moore was given more prominent roles in A Few Good Men, Indecent Proposal, Disclosure, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame for which she was the first actress to reach the $10 million salary mark.
During the early 1990s, she was the highest paid actress in Hollywood. She never surpassed the success of Ghost, and had a string of less successful films like Nothing but Trouble, The Scarlet Letter, The Juror, Striptease, and G.I. Jane. Moore's Passion of Mind co-star Joss Ackland lambasted her by describing her as being "not very bright or talented", although he worked with her again on Flawless in 2008. At the same time, she produced and starred in a TV mini-series called If These Walls Could Talk, written by Nancy Savoca. A three-part series on abortion, Savoca directed two segments, including the one in which Moore played a single woman in the 1950s seeking a back-alley abortion. She was nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Actress for that role.
Moore was a founding "celebrity investor" in the Planet Hollywood chain of international theme restaurants (modeled after the Hard Rock Cafe and launched in New York on October 22, 1991) along with Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and then-husband Bruce Willis.
After a break from her acting career, Moore returned to the screen as the villain of the 2003 film Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle. In 2006, she appeared in Bobby which featured an all-star cast, including her husband Ashton Kutcher, although they did not appear in any scenes together. She later starred in the thriller film Mr. Brooks, which was released on June 1, 2007. She appeared in Jon Bon Jovi's longform video "Destination Anywhere" as Janie.
Vanity Fair controversy
In August 1991, Moore appeared nude on the cover of Vanity Fair under the title More Demi Moore. Annie Leibovitz shot the picture while Moore was seven months pregnant with her daughter Scout LaRue, intending to portray "anti-Hollywood, anti-glitz" attitude. The cover sparked an intense controversy for Vanity Fair and Moore. It was widely discussed on television, radio, and in newspaper articles. The frankness of Leibovitz's portrayal of a pregnant sex symbol led to divided opinions, ranging from complaints of sexual objectification to celebrations of the photograph as a symbol of empowerment.
The photograph was subject to numerous parodies, including the Spy magazine version, which placed Moore's then husband Bruce Willis' head on her body. In Leibovitz v. Paramount Pictures Corp., Leibovitz sued over one parody featuring Leslie Nielsen, made to promote the 1994 film Naked Gun 33⅓: The Final Insult. In the parody, the model's body was attached to what is described as "the guilty and smirking face" of Nielsen. The teaser said "Due this March". The case was dismissed in 1996 because the parody relied "for its comic effect on the contrast between the original". In November 2009, the Moroccan magazine Femmes du Maroc emulated the infamous pose with Moroccan news reporter Nadia Larguet, causing controversy in the majority Muslim nation. In August 1992, Moore would again appear nude on the cover of Vanity Fair, modeling for the world's leading body painting artist, Joanne Gair in Demi's Birthday Suit. The painting is widely considered to be the best-known example of modern body painting artwork.
Marriages and children
In 1987, Moore met and married her second husband, actor Bruce Willis. They had three daughters together: Rumer Glenn Willis (born August 16, 1988), Scout LaRue Willis (born July 20, 1991), and Tallulah Belle Willis (born February 3, 1994). Moore and Willis divorced in 2000.
After two years of dating, Moore wed actor Ashton Kutcher, 16 years her junior, on September 24, 2005. On November 17, 2011, Moore released a statement announcing her intention to divorce Kutcher. The announcement followed weeks of media speculation about the state of the couple's marriage.
Moore's primary residence is in Hailey, Idaho, near the famous Sun Valley resort, although she spent much time in the Los Angeles area during her marriage to Kutcher. She also owns a waterfront mansion on Sebago Lake, Maine. She is a practicing follower of the Philip Berg's Kabbalah Centre religion, and initiated Kutcher into the faith, having said that she "didn’t grow up Jewish, but ... would say that [she has] been more exposed to the deeper meanings of particular rituals than any of [her] friends that did." Contrary to popular belief, Moore claims she has never been a raw foodist and dispelled the vegan rumors by eating a hamburger in a recent Mario Testino photo shoot.
Year Film Role Notes 1981 Choices Corri 1982 Parasite Patricia Welles 1983 Young Doctors in Love New Intern Uncredited 1984 No Small Affair Laura Victor Blame It on Rio Nicole 'Nikki' Hollis 1985 St. Elmo's Fire Jules 1986 Wisdom Karen Simmons One Crazy Summer Cassandra Eldridge About Last Night... Debbie 1988 The Seventh Sign Abby Quinn The New Homeowner's Guide to Happiness Short film 1989 We're No Angels Molly 1990 Ghost Molly Jensen Saturn Award for Best Actress
Nominated – Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy
1991 The Butcher's Wife Marina Lemke Mortal Thoughts Cynthia Kellogg Nothing But Trouble Diane Lightson 1992 A Few Good Men LCDR JoAnne Galloway Nominated – MTV Movie Award for Best Female Performance. 1993 Indecent Proposal Diana Murphy MTV Movie Award for Best Kiss with Woody Harrelson
Nomination – MTV Movie Award for Best Female Performance
Nominated – MTV Movie Award for Most Desirable Female.
1994 Disclosure Meredith Johnson Nominated – MTV Movie Award for Most Desirable Female
Nominated – MTV Movie Award for Best Villain
1995 Now and Then older Samantha The Scarlet Letter Hester Prynne Nominated – MTV Movie Award for Most Desirable Female 1996 Beavis and Butt-head Do America Dallas Grimes (voice) Striptease Erin Grant The Hunchback of Notre Dame Esmeralda (voice) The Juror Annie Laird 1997 Deconstructing Harry Helen/Harry's Character G.I. Jane LT Jordan O'Neil Nominated – MTV Movie Award for Best Fight with Viggo Mortensen Destination Anywhere: The Film Jenny Short film 2000 Passion of Mind Martha Marie/'Marty' Talridge 2002 The Hunchback of Notre Dame II Esmeralda (voice) Straight-to-DVD
Nomination – "Best Animated Character Performance" at the DVD Exclusive Awards
2003 Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle Madison Lee Nomination – MTV Movie Award for Best Villain
Nomination – "Sexiest She-Villain" (Villana más Sexy) at the MTV Movie Awards México
2006 Half Light Rachel Carlson Limited release. Bobby Virginia Fallon Hollywood Film Award for "Ensemble of the year" at the Hollywood Film Festival
Nominated – "Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture" at the 13th Screen Actors Guild Awards
2007 Flawless Laura Quinn Limited release Mr. Brooks Detective Tracy Atwood 2008 Streak Director Directorial debut 2010 Happy Tears Laura The Joneses Kate Jones Bunraku Alexandra 2011 Margin Call Sarah Robertson Nominated - Gotham Award for Best Ensemble Performance LOL: Laughing Out Loud Annie Post-Production
Year Title Role Notes 1982–83 General Hospital Jackie Templeton 1984 The Master Holly Trumbull 1 episode Bedroom Nancy Comedy series 1989 Moonlighting Woman in Elevator Uncredited 1990 Tales from the Crypt Cathy Marno 1 episode, "Dead Right" 1991 Master Ninja Holly Trumbull TV movie 1996 If These Walls Could Talk Claire Donnelly TV movie.
Nominated – Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Miniseries or Television Movie
1997 Ellen The Sample Lady 1 episode "The Puppy Episode: Part 2" 2003 Will and Grace Sissy (The Babysitter) Sitcom
- ^ Moore, Demi (June 19, 2009), "Demetria is a beautiful name. my full name though is actually just Demi!", @mrskutcher Twitter
- ^ a b "Demi Moore". Biography Channel. http://www.thebiographychannel.co.uk/biographies/demi-moore.html. Retrieved February 4, 2010.
- ^ "http://www.imdb.com/". Business Data for Parasite. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084472/business. Retrieved September 17, 2007.
- ^ "SHOWBIZ , Joss Ackland admits 'awful' films". BBC News. August 6, 2001. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/1476550.stm. Retrieved February 4, 2010.
- ^ "Demi Moore Entry"[dead link]
- ^ "Helena Rubinstein has signed Demi Moore to front all its products". AccessMyLibrary. October 20, 2006. http://www.accessmylibrary.com/article-1G1-154391764/helena-rubinstein-has-signed.html. Retrieved February 4, 2010.
- ^ Anderson, Susan Heller. "Chronicle". The New York Times. July 11, 1991. Retrieved March 28, 2008.
- ^ Stabile, C. (1992). "Shooting the mother: Fetal photography and the politics of disappearance" (PDF). Camera Obscura. http://www.cas.buffalo.edu/classes/dms/berna/dms434/readings/stabile.pdf. Retrieved August 23, 2007.
- ^ Murphy, Candace (August 12, 2007). "Big bold bellies: Flaunting one's pregnancy becomes a fashion trend". Inside Bay Area. ANG Newspapers. http://www.insidebayarea.com/localnews/ci_6606324. Retrieved August 23, 2007.
- ^ a b Richardson, Lynda (December 20, 1996). "A Parody of a Pregnant Actress Stands Up in Court". New York Times. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9503E7DE1531F933A15751C1A960958260&scp=3&sq=%22Demi+Moore%22+%22Vanity+Fair%22&st=nyt. Retrieved February 19, 2008.
- ^ T.B., Ahmed. "I Am Pregnant And I Exist". http://cabalamuse.wordpress.com/2009/10/30/i-am-pregnant-and-i-exist/. Retrieved November 6, 2009.
- ^ Penner, Degan (November 21, 1993). "A Egos & Ids; It's Demi Vu All Over Again". The New York Times. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0CE0D81730F932A15752C1A965958260&scp=4&sq=%22Demi+Moore%22+%22Vanity+Fair%22&st=nyt. Retrieved February 19, 2008.
- ^ "Make-Up ILLUSION by Joanne Gair". http://www.photoimpactonline.com/gair.htm. Retrieved February 18, 2008.
- ^ Singer, Natasha (February 2, 2006). "A Real Body of Work". The New York Times. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/02/fashion/weddings/02skin2.html?scp=1&sq=%22Demi+Moore%22+%22body+painting%22&st=nyt. Retrieved April 5, 2009.
- ^ http://www.people.com/people/demi_moore/biography
- ^ a b "Ashton & Demi Get Married". People. September 25, 2005. http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,1090617,00.html.
- ^ a b c http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20037286,00.html
- ^ "Demi Moore announces plans to end her 6-year marriage to Ashton Kutcher". Associated Press via The Washington Post. November 17, 2011. http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/apnewsbreak-demi-moore-announces-plans-to-end-her-6-year-marriage-to-ashton-kutcher/2011/11/17/gIQANPlOVN_story.html.
- ^ "Ashton Kutcher, Demi Moore to Divorce". People. November 17, 2011. http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20536470,00.html.
- ^ Hammerman, Joshua (May 7, 2004). "Bar Mitzvah Nation". The Jewish Week (New York City). Archived from the original on February 16, 2006. http://web.archive.org/web/20060216205012/http://www.thejewishweek.com/top/editletcontent.php3?artid=3430. Retrieved April 17, 2009.
- ^ Speyer, Adriana (Spring 2008). "Gimme Moore". V Magazine 51. http://www.vmagazine.com/article.php?n=3467&p=4.
- ^ Frank Decaro (February 22, 1998). "A Star is Born, and She's a Doll". the New York Times. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E07EFDA113FF931A15751C0A96E958260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all. Retrieved December 17, 2007.
- ^ http://republicanredefined.com/2011/04/15/punkd-ashton-kutcher-and-demi-moore-say-barack-obama-is-still-awesome/
- Demi Moore on Twitter
- Demi Moore at the Internet Movie Database
- Demi Moore at the Internet Broadway Database
- Demi Moore at the Internet Off-Broadway Database
- Demi Moore at AllRovi
- Demi Moore at People.com
Katharine Ross (1974/75) · Blythe Danner (1976) · Jodie Foster (1977) · Margot Kidder (1978) · Mary Steenburgen (1979) · Angie Dickinson (1980) · Karen Allen (1981) · Sandahl Bergman (1982) · Louise Fletcher (1983) · Daryl Hannah (1984) · Coral Browne (1985) · Sigourney Weaver (1986) · Jessica Tandy (1987) · Catherine Hicks (1988) · Demi Moore (1989/90)
Complete list · (1974–1990) · (1991–2010) Members Films
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Demi Moore — (2010) Demi Guynes Kutcher (* 11. November 1962 in Roswell, New Mexico als Demetria Gene Guynes) ist eine US amerikanische Schauspielerin, die unter ihrem Künstlernamen Demi Moore bekannt ist. Inhaltsverzeichnis … Deutsch Wikipedia
Demi Moore — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Demi Moore Demi Moore en 2008 Nombre real Demetria Gene Guynes Nacimiento 1 … Wikipedia Español
Demi Moore — (nacida como Demetria Guynes el 11 de noviembre de 1962 en Roswell, Nuevo México) es una actriz estadounidense con una característica voz ronca. El padre de Moore Charles Harmon dejó a su madre, Victoria antes de que ella naciera. Por esto, Demi… … Enciclopedia Universal
Demi Moore — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Moore. Demi Moore … Wikipédia en Français
Demi Moore — ➡ Moore (II) * * * … Universalium
Demi Moore — Demi Guymes … Eponyms, nicknames, and geographical games
Demi Moore — n. (born in 1962 as Demi Guines) American film actress … English contemporary dictionary
Demi Moore — … Википедия
More Demi Moore — August 1991 Vanity Fair More Demi Moore cover More Demi Moore or the August 1991 Vanity Fair cover was a controversial handbra nude photograph of the then seven months pregnant Demi Moore taken by Annie Leibovitz for the August 1991 cover of… … Wikipedia
Demi Kutcher — Demi Moore (* 11. November 1962 in Roswell, New Mexico; gebürtig Demetria Gene Guynes) ist eine US amerikanische Schauspielerin. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 Biografie 1.1 Kindheit und Jugend 1.2 Schauspielkarriere … Deutsch Wikipedia