official_name = City of Elliot Lake
imagesize = 300px
image_caption = The city of Elliot Lake; the lake on the right
dot_x = |dot_y =
subdivision_type = Country
subdivision_type1 = Province
subdivision_name2 = Algoma District
leader_title = Mayor
leader_title1 = Governing Body
leader_name1 = Elliot Lake City Council
leader_title2 = Federal electoral district
leader_title3 = Provincial electoral district
leader_name3 = Algoma—Manitoulin
established_title = Established
established_date = 1955
area_total_km2 = 698.12
population_as_of = 2006
population_total = 11549
population_density_km2 = 16.5
timezone = Eastern Standard Time (EST)
utc_offset = -5
timezone_DST = Eastern Daylight Time (EDT)
utc_offset_DST = -4
latd=46 |latm=23 |lats=00 |latNS=N
longd=82 |longm=39 |longs=00 |longEW=W
postal_code_type = Postal Code FSA
postal_code = P5A
area_code = 705
website = http://www.cityofelliotlake.com/
footnotes = Municipal rank: 325th in Canada
Until the 1870s an
Ojibwavillage existed near the present hospital site on the lake's shoreline.
The city was established as a
planned communityfor the mining industry in 1955 after the discovery of uraniumin the area, and named after the small lake on its northern edge. Geologist Franc Joubinand American financier Joseph Hirshhornwere instrumental in its founding. The principal mining companies were Denison Minesand Rio Algom. The population has varied with several boom-and-bust cycles from the 1950s to the 1990s, from a high of over 26,000 to a low of about 6,600.
In 1959, the United States declared that it would buy no more uranium from Canada after 1962. During the 1970s, federal plans for
CANDU Reactors and Ontario Hydro's interest in atomic energy led the town, anticipating a population of 30,000, to expand again.
However, by the early 1990s depleted reserves and low prices caused the last mines in the area to close. In the years since, the city looked elsewhere for its survival, finding some success promoting itself as a retirement community and tourist destination.
* Stanleigh Mine (1956-1960 and 1982-1996), operated by Rio Algom Ltd., produced 14 million tonsvague|long tons, short tons, or metric tons?|date=March 2008 of ore.
* Spanish American Mine (1957-1959), operated by Rio Algom Ltd., produced 430,000 tonsvague|long tons, short tons, or metric tons?|date=March 2008 of ore.
* Can-Met Mine (1957-1960), operated by Denison Mines Ltd., produced 2.6 million tonsvague|long tons, short tons, or metric tons?|date=March 2008 of ore.
* Milliken Mine (1957-1964), operated by Rio Algom Ltd., produced 6.3 million tons of ore.
* Panel Mine (1957-1961 and 1978-1990), operated by Rio Algom Ltd., produced 15 million tons of ore.
* Denison Mine (1957-1992), operated by Denison Mines Ltd., produced 69 million tons of ore.
* Stanrock Mine (1958-1960 and 1964-1985), operated by Rio Algom Ltd., produced 6.4 million tons of ore.
* Quirke Mine(s) (1955-1961 and 1965-1990), operated by Rio Algom Ltd., produced 44 million tons of ore.
* Pronto Mine (1955-1970), operated by Rio Algom Ltd., produced 2.3 million tons of ore.
* Buckles Mine (1956-1960), operated by Rio Algom Ltd., produced 276,000 tons of ore.
* Lacnor Mine "Lake Nordic" (1956-1960), operated by Rio Algom Ltd., produced 3.4 million tons of ore.
* Nordic Mine (1956-1970), operated by Denison Mines Ltd., produced 13 million tons of ore.
Geography and environment
Situated on the
Canadian Shield, the city is surrounded by dense forest, muskeg swamps, numerous lakes, winding rivers, and hills of Precambrian bedrock. The local forests are mixed deciduous and coniferous, with colourful displays in the autumn.
Local wildlife include
moose, white-tailed Deer, American Black Bear, beaver, loon, muskrat, otter, Canada Goose, and lynx, to name but a few. Fish species include lake trout, speckled trout, rainbow trout, smallmouth bass, pickerel (walleye), and sturgeon.
Since December 1990 the town has been home to the Elliot Lake Research Field Station, established by
Laurentian Universityto investigate environmental radioactivity.
Acclaimed Canadian photographer
Edward Burtynskyhas taken landscape pictures of uranium and nickel tailings during the mid-1990s, providing evidence of the after-effects to the ecosystem.
* Average precipitation: 104.2 mm
Relatively isolated, Elliot Lake is only connected to the south by Highway 108, a 30 km distance to Highway 17, also known as the
Trans-Canada Highway. Elliot Lake Municipal Airporthas no regularly scheduled flights. Elliot Lake Transitprovides daily bus service on an hourly basis, with the exception of Sundays and statutory holidays.
Arts and culture
Local festivals include the Jewel in the Wilderness Festival, Heritage Weekend and the Deer Trail Studio Tour Arts Festival.
The city is home to Denison House, a hotel and convention facility located in the former corporate lodge of Denison Mines, and the Elliot Lake Mining and Nuclear Museum. Two community monuments, the Uranium Atom Monument downtown and the Miners Memorial Monument on Horne Lake, are also found in the city, as well as a scenic lookout at the former fire tower.
In 1975, Canadian musician
Stompin' Tom Connorsrecorded "Damn Good Song for a Miner," about the city of Elliot Lake and its mining culture in the 1960s. Elliot Lake is also a prominent setting in Alistair MacLeod's award-winning novel " No Great Mischief".
Elliot Lake Secondary School
Villa Française des Jeunes
* Our Lady of Fatima
* Our Lady of Lourdes
École Georges Vanier
Esten Park Public School
Central Avenue Public School
Elliot Lake Middle School
Dieppe Avenue Public School
Lakeside Avenue Public School
Stanrock Public School
Spruce Avenue Public School
Westhill Senior Public School
Ecole Notre Dame du Bois Joli
Sault College"(Satellite Campus)"
Collège Boréal"(Satellite Campus)"
Roman Avenue Public School
* Elliot Lake ATV Club
* Stone Ridge Golf & Country Club
* Mount Dufour Ski Area
* OK Tire North Shore Challenge Drag Race
* Mountain Bike Ontario Cup Race
* The Jewel in the Wilderness Ontario Cup Road Race
* Tri-it in the Wilderness Triathlon
* Bell Ididarace Sled Dog Race
* Deer Trail Scenic Touring Route
Elliot Lake Bobcats( GMJHL) "2007-Present"
Elliot Lake Vikings( NOJHL) "1962-1998"
* Elliot Lake Ice (NOJHL) "1998-1999"
Elliot Lake Contractors(GNML) "1986-1992"
* Elliot Lake Minor Hockey Association
* Elliot Lake Major Hockey Association
* Elliot Lake Prestige
* Elliot Lake Magnums
* Elliot Lake Minor Fastball Association
* Elliot Lake Girls Slow-pitch (Youth)
* Elliot Lake Mixed Slow-pitch (Adult)
* Elliot Lake Mixed Slow-pitch (Youth)
* Elliot Lake United
* Elliot Lake Aquatic Club (ELAC)
Elliot Lake has one commercial radio station,
CKNR-FM, which operates two transmitters due to signal deficiencies in parts of the city. All of its other radio services are rebroadcasters of stations from Sudbury or Timmins.
* FM 90.3 - CBEC,
CBC Radio One
* FM 92.5 - CHIM-7, Christian
* FM 94.1 - CKNR,
Moose FM adult contemporary
* FM 98.7 - CKNR-1,
Moose FM adult contemporary[ [http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/2007/db2007-330.htm CRTC Decision 2007-330] ]
* FM 101.7 - CBON-5,
* FM 102.5 - CJTK-3, Christian [ [http://www.crtc.gc.ca/archive/ENG/Decisions/2008/db2008-105.htm CRTC Decision 2008-105] ]
Print and web media
* The "
Elliot Lake Standard" is the city's main newspaper, owned by Osprey Media.
* The "
North Shore Daily" is the city's daily advertising flyer, with some current news events.
People from Elliot Lake
Rick Brebant, hockey player
Holly Coulis, artist
Bob Dillabough, hockey player
Catharine Dixon, writer
Alex Henry, hockey player
Doug McEwen, hockey player
Dennis McEwen, hockey player
Jeremy Stevenson, hockey player
Zack Stortini, hockey player
Alan Thicke, actor
* [http://www.cityofelliotlake.com/ City of Elliot Lake]
* [http://www.elliotlake.com/ Unofficial Elliot Lake website]
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Elliot Lake — Administration Pays Canada P … Wikipédia en Français
Elliot Lake — [ eljət leɪk], Stadt in der Provinz Ontario, Kanada, nahe dem Nordufer des Huronsees, (1991) 15 000 Einwohner (1959: 25 000 Einwohner, 1965: 6 600 Einwohner). Uranerzvorkommen führten 1954 zur Gründung von Elliot Lake; der Uranerzbergbau blühte … Universal-Lexikon
Elliot Lake — ▪ Ontario, Canada city, Algoma district, south central Ontario, Canada. It lies along the Elliot and Horne lakes, midway between Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury and about 15 miles (25 km) north of Lake Huron s North Channel. Established in… … Universalium
Elliot Lake — Original name in latin Elliot Lake Name in other language Eliot Lejk, YEL, alywt layk, eriottoreiku, Елиот Лејк State code CA Continent/City America/Toronto longitude 46.38336 latitude 82.63315 altitude 310 Population 12508 Date 2008 04 11 … Cities with a population over 1000 database
Elliot Lake Vikings — Hockey team team = Elliot Lake Vikings logosize = 125px city = Elliot Lake, Ontario league = Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League operated = 1966 1999 arena = Centennial Arena colours = Yellow, Red, Black, and White name1 = Elliot Lake Vikings… … Wikipedia
Elliot Lake Bobcats — GMJHL team team name = Elliot Lake Bobcats bg color = dodgerblue text color = logo division = Northern founded = 2007 history = alternate = arena = Elliot Lake Centennial Arena city = Elliot Lake, Ontario team colors = Blue, Yellow, and White… … Wikipedia
Elliot Lake Municipal Airport — Infobox Airport name = Elliot Lake Municipal Airport IATA = YEL ICAO = CYEL type = Public owner = operator = City of Elliot Lake city served = location = Elliot Lake, Ontario elevation f = 1,087 elevation m = 331 coordinates =… … Wikipedia
Elliot Lake Transit — Infobox Bus transit name = Elliot Lake Transit logo size = image size = image caption = company slogan = parent = founded = 1983 [ [http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/ wyatt/alltime/e2k on.html Transit History of Ontario Communities] ] headquarters =… … Wikipedia
Elliot Lake Secondary School — Infobox Education in Canada name= Elliot Lake Secondary School imagesize= motto= Labor Omnia Vincit motto translation= Work Conquers All streetaddress= 303 Mississauga Avenue, Elliot Lake, ON city= Elliot Lake province= Ontario postalcode= P5A… … Wikipedia
Elliot — (also spelled Elliott, Eliot, or Elyot [ [http://www.elliotclan.com/name.html Elliot Clan Society: The Elliot Name] ] ) is a personal name which can serve as either a surname or a given name. It may be derived from a French form of Elias, which… … Wikipedia