Critters Buggin New Years Eve 2008 at the Capitol Theatre in Olympia, Washington.
Background information Origin Seattle, Washington, USA Genres rock, jazz, funk, punk, ambient, electronic Years active 1993–present Labels Ropeadope Records Website Crittersbuggin.com Members Matt Chamberlain
Past members John Bush
Critters Buggin is a Seattle, Washington-based instrumental group which performs in a jazz, rock and African-influenced, eclectic style. The band is composed of Matt Chamberlain (drums, percussion, piano, programming, synths, loops, samples and digital editing), Skerik (saxophones, keyboards, loops, samples, effects and guitar), Brad Houser (bass, baritone saxophone, bass clarinet and electronics) and Mike Dillon (vibraphone and percussion).
Critters Buggin defies categorization because of their diverse musical styles. Reviews tend to describe their music as a combination of jazz, rock, funk and electronica. When asked to describe their music in 1994 Chamberlain stated that it is "jazzy, funky, rocky.... it has African rhythms, too." Houser stated it is "African, industrial, tribal music."
While also reviewed in terms such as unique and adventurous, a recent 2008 review in The Seattle Times described them with such diverse terms as unorthodox, unhinged, tribal, unpredictable, mesmerizing, loud, abrasive, dissonant and ultimately satisfying.
The group began with Matt Chamberlain and Skerik who were later joined by Brad Houser, thus forming a trio in early 1993. John Bush joined soon afterward, and the group gave their first live performance using the "Critters Buggin" name in May 1993 at the Seattle club The Colourbox. Chamberlain, Houser and Bush were all from the then-disbanded Edie Brickell & New Bohemians. Skerik came from another Seattle group, Sadhappy. Their live success was followed by the release of their first album which was produced by Stone Gossard of Pearl Jam on his then new label Loosegroove. The original Critters Buggin trio continued with several guest musicians, including Mike Dillon. Chamberlain and Dillon had both played in the locally popular Dallas, Texas band Ten Hands in the 1980s. All except Skerik were part of the Deep Ellum, Dallas, Texas scene through the early 1990s. By 1998 Dillon had joined Critters Buggin as a fourth member, thus forming the current line-up as of a July 2008 tour.
In 2007 Critters Buggin released the DVD, Get the Clackervalve and the Old Clobberd Biscuits Out and Smack the Grand Ham Clapper's Mother. It is a live set filmed and recorded during the Warsaw Summer Jazz Days 1999 performed in The Palace of Culture and Science of Warsaw, Poland.
Critters Buggin Trio (2006)
In 2006 Skerik, Dillon and Houser toured as Critters Buggin Trio. In the 2007 the trio toured as The Dead Kenny G's and were reviewed as uniquely "combining jazz, rock, punk, funk and world music."  In October 2009 they released a debut CD Bewildered Herd. The trio toured with Primus in 2010 and released the CD Operation Long Leash in 2011.
Studio and live albums
- 1994 - Guest (Loosegroove)
- 1996 - Host (Loosegroove)
- 1997 - Monkeypot Merganzer (independent)
- 1998 - Bumpa (Loosegroove)
- 1998 - Amoeba (Loosegroove)
- 2004 - Stampede (Ropeadope Records)
- 2009 - Live in 95 at the OK Hotel - Seattle 1995 (independent)
Guest, Host, Monkeypot Merganzer and Bumpa were reissued by Kufala Recordings in 2004.
EPs and compilations
- 1996 - Endless Records complication one - various artists (Endless Records) "Sweat Box"
- 2000 - Taxi (independent - EP vinyl)
- 2007 - Get the Clackervalve and the Old Clobberd Biscuits Out and Smack the Grand Ham Clapper's Mother
- ^ Steve Huey Ameoba allmusic.com
- ^ Hal Horowitz Stampede : Review allmusic.com
- ^ Tom Schulte Bumpa : Review allmusic.com
- ^ Dean Carlson Guest : Review allmusic.com
- ^ a b Critters Buggin' Ignites Sweat-And-Groove Sound Vanessa Ho, The Seattle Times, January 28, 1994, Retrieved November 29, 2007
- ^ John Kelman Stampede All About Jazz, September 12, 2004, Retrieved November 29, 2007
- ^ a b Critters Buggin: Keeping it unorthodox with a monster jam session Jonathan Zwickel The Seattle Times, July 3, 2008, retrieved August 5, 2008
- ^ Bumpa, CD liner notes
- ^ Adam Brown 6th Annual Flowmotion Summer Meltdown August 11-12 Darrington whatsup-magazine.com, September 2006 Issue
- ^ Alex Anderssen No Degrees of Separation relix.com 19 October 2006
- ^ The Dead Kenny Gs | 10.05 | LA jambase.com, 11/28/07
- ^ Tom D'Antoni Dead Kenny G’s at the Goodfoot with David Ornette Cherry oregonmusicnews.com, October 20, 2009
- ^ Damian Erskine Dead Kenny G's (Brad Houser - bs) | "Bewildered Herd" Bass Musician Magazine, 12/01/2009
- ^ Trent Moorman Up & Coming This Week's Noteworthy Shows and Parties The Stranger, December 14, 2010
- ^ Richard Haick Les Claypool and Primus New Year's Eve Bash SF Weekly
- ^ The Dead Kenny Gs Return With Operation Long Leash glidemagazine.com, February 21, 2011
- ^ Steve Greenlee Operation Long Leash JazzTimes, 08/11/11
Albums Related articles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Stampede (Critters Buggin album) — Infobox Album | Name = Stampede Type = studio Artist = Critters Buggin Released = 2004 Recorded = by Mel Dettmer at The Craft, Litho and Aleph and by S. Husky Höskulds at Litho; all tracks mixed by Mel Dettmer at Aleph Genre = Length = 53:03… … Wikipedia
Host (Critters Buggin album) — Infobox Album | Name = Host Type = studio Artist = Critters Buggin Released = 1996 Recorded = engineered by Bret Eliason and Sam Hofstedt, mxed by Eric Rosse Genre = Length = 57:31 Label = Loosegroove, Kufala Producer = Eric Rosse Reviews =… … Wikipedia
Skerik — Infobox musical artist Name = Skerik Img capt = Skerik with The Headhunters at Schuba s June 21, 2005 Photo by Matt Kanable firstname.lastname@example.org Img size = Landscape = Background = solo singer Birth name = Alias = Nalgas Sin Carne Born = Died =… … Wikipedia
Matt Chamberlain — Saltar a navegación, búsqueda Matt Chamberlain Información personal Nacimiento 17 de abril de 1967, 42 años Origen … Wikipedia Español
Mike Dillon (musician) — Mike Dillon Mike Tree Frog Dillon Background information Origin Texas, Kansas City, New Orleans Instruments Percussion … Wikipedia
Matt Chamberlain — Birth name Matthew Chamberlain Born April 17, 1967 (1967 04 17) (age 44) San Pedro, California, U.S. Genres Rock … Wikipedia
Monkeypot Merganzer — Studio album by Critters Buggin Released 1997 … Wikipedia
Lakeshore Records — Infobox record label name = Lakeshore Records distributor = Red Distribution parent = Lakeshore Entertainment genre = Soundtrack film score Alternative rock Indie rock country = United States location = Los Angeles, California url =… … Wikipedia
Guest (album) — Infobox Album | Name = Guest Type = studio Artist = Critters Buggin Released = 1994 Recorded = Engineered by Chris Furman Genre = Length = 52:38 Label = Loosegroove, Kufala Producer = Dennis Herring, Stone Gossard, Critters Buggin Reviews =… … Wikipedia
Brad Houser — Infobox Musical artist Name = Brad Houser Img capt = Img size = Landscape = Background = non vocal instrumentalist Birth name = Alias = Born = birth date and age|1960|9|7 Died = Origin = Dallas, Texas, United States Instrument = Bass guitar,… … Wikipedia