- Olaf Isaachsen
Olaf Wilhelm Isaachsen (May 16, 1835 – September 22, 1893) was a Norwegian painter. Olaf Isaachsen is regarded as one of Norway’s more prominent artists and great colourist with motives from Setesdalen and the coast landscape of Southern Norway.
He was born in Mandal in Vest-Agder county Norway. Isaachsen belonged to a branch of an affluent and educated merchant family from Kjos in Kristiansand. He was the son of jurist Daniel Isaachsen, son of politician Isaach Isaachsen and grandson of Daniel Isaachsen (1744-1813), a Norwegian shipbuilder . He was the uncle of physicist Daniel Isaachsen, scientist Haakon Isaachsen (1867–1936), painter Herman Willoch and naval officer Odd Isaachsen Willoch.
Olaf Isaachsen studied under Joachim Frich and Johannes Flintoe at the Royal School of Drawing from 1850, in Düsseldorf from 1854 to 1859, and in Paris under Thomas Couture (1859-1860) and Gustave Courbet (1861-1862). He ultimately settled in Kristiansand, although with frequent periods spent abroad.
Isaachsen was a knowledgeable and courteous man, a mixture of observation and locals, who spoke fluent German, Dutch, English, French and Italian. He was married in 1864 to Antonie (Toni) John Prehr (1838-1870). The couple had four children – William (1865-1942), Eivind (1866-1926); Johanna Marie (1867-1872) and Harald (1869-1942). His wife died of tuberculosis when only 32 years old. Two years later his four year old daughter Johanna Marie died of diphtheria, and he was left with three small boys. He was the paternal grandfather of Sigurd Daniel Isaachsen Willoch, an art historian and director of the National Gallery of Norway.
- En sjørøver, 1858
- Seks akter fra Paris, 1859
- Landskap fra Apeninnene, 1863
- Setesdalsstue, Kveste i Valle, 1866
- Slagsmål i en bondestue, 1866
- Studie av en såret mann, 1866
- Liggende setesdøl, 1866
- Ung setesdøl, 1866
- Slagsbror, 1867
- Et litterært funn, 1870–71
- Bruden pyntes, 1878
- Setesdalsloft, 1878
- Stabbursinteriør fra Ose i Setesdal, 1878
- Stuen i Holskogen, ca. 1880
- Syrinbusk i morgensol, 1881
- Tore Hund ved Olav den helliges lik, 1881
- Venemyr i Søgne Sogn Høststemning, 1885
- Efter badet, 1889
- Kristiansand etter brannen, 1892
- tre brannbilder fra Kristiansand, 1892
- ^ Isaachsen, Olaf (artnet.com)
- ^ a b "Isaachsen, Olaf (Wilhelm)". Aschehoug og Gyldendals Store norske leksikon. Kunnskapsforlaget. 2007. http://www.snl.no/article.html?id=609548. (Norwegian)
- ^ a b "Willoch/Isaachsen". Aschehoug og Gyldendals Store norske leksikon. Kunnskapsforlaget. 2007. http://www.snl.no/article.html?id=805796. (Norwegian)
- ^ Willoch/Isaachsen (Store norske leksikon)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Olaf Devik — Olaf Martin Devik (20 December 1886 – 14 April 1987) was a Norwegian physicist and civil servant. He worked in academia until 1938, when he became an official in the Norwegian Ministry of Church and Education. After the German occupation of… … Wikipedia
Odd Isaachsen Willoch — Born 26 February 1885(1885 02 26) Larvik Died 9 April 1940(1940 04 09) (aged 55) Just off the port of Narvik … Wikipedia
Daniel Isaachsen (physicist) — Daniel Isaachsen (23 June 1859 – 1940) was a Norwegian physicist. He was born in London as the son of military officer Isak Tobias Isaachsen and Fredrikke Andrea Rude. He was a great grandson of Isaach Isaachsen, brother of scientist Haakon … Wikipedia
Amaldus Nielsen — beim Malen, 1894 Amaldus Clarin Nielsen (* 23. Mai 1838 in Mandal; † 10. Dezember 1932 in Oslo) war ein norwegischer Maler. Er ist vor allem für seine … Deutsch Wikipedia
Gustave Courbet — For other uses, see Courbet (disambiguation). Gustave Courbet Gustave Courbet (portrait by Nadar). Birth name Jean Désiré Gustave Courbet … Wikipedia
Mandal, Norway — Mandal kommune Municipality … Wikipedia