- Research and development in Ohio
In 2008, institutions and companies in the state won 10 R&D 100 Awards, given annually to the top 100 innovations recognized by R&D Magazine, finishing second behind California. The Ohio State University is among the country's top public research institutions at #7. Ohio is ranked in the top eight for states conducting clinical trials, including conducting the most clinical trials per capita.
In 2006, the state had a high-tech payroll of $9.8 billion, with 155,174 high-tech employees at 10,756 high tech locations. In 2005, industry in Ohio spent $5.9 billion on research and development, with colleges spending $1.5 billion, but by 2009, $8.2 billion in R&D contracts were identified, ranking 13th nationally. Ohio receives around $2.7 billion annually in federal R&D funds, ranking #9.
In 2005, it was ranked #4 in the country in industrial R&D activities, while the University of Dayton and The Ohio State University ranked #2 and #3 nationally in total materials research. Ohio leads the nation in plastics and rubber research.
The state recently[when?] approved a $3.5 million grant to convert the old NCR headquarters in Dayton into a collaborative innovation center. The Miami Valley Research Park in southwestern Ohio is a 1,250 acre complex home to the headquarters of Woolpert, Inc. as well as ATX, WilmerHale, and Center for Tissue, Innovation and Research facilities. A fun note, in 2010 automotive racing star Jeff Gordon and his company, in partnership with Arshot Investment Corp., named their new research and development project in Columbus the "Center for Automotive Research & Technology at Cooper Park."
Government and non-profit
Government-operated and non-profit research and development institutions include:
- University of Dayton Research Institute
- Battelle Memorial Institute
- Cleveland Clinic
- Air Force Research Laboratory
- National Center for Regenerative Medicine
- Neurological Institute at Miami Valley Hospital
- Center for Stem Cell and Regenerative Medicine
- Center for Tissue Regeneration and Engineering at Dayton
- Clinical Tissue Engineering Center
- NASA Glenn Research Center
- FDA Forensic Chemistry Center
- a unit of the Army Research Laboratory
- UES, Inc.
- Naval Health Research Center Detachment Environmental Health Effects Laboratory
- Environmental Protection Agency centers include a division of the National Exposure Research Laboratory, National Risk Management Research Laboratory, Breidenbach Environmental Research Center, Test and Evaluation Facility, Center Hill Facility, Experimental Stream Facility, Kerr Environmental Research Center, a unit of the National Center for Environmental Assessment
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services centers include divisions for Biomedical and Behavioral Sciences, Physical Sciences and Engineering, Education and Information,Surveillance, Hazards Evaluations, and Field Studies
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs centers include Stokes Cleveland Medical Center, Cincinnati Medical Center, and the Dayton VA Medical Center.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture centers include Soil Drainage Research Unit, North Appalachian Experimental Watershed Research Unit, Delaware Forestry Sciences Laboratory, and ARS Research Facility
- U.S. Department of Transportation's Vehicle Research and Test Center
- U.S. Department of Interior's Columbus Field Research Station
- Ohio Coal Research Consortium
- Ohio Aerospace Institute
- Genome Research Institute
- Center for Computational Medicine
- Wright Center of Innovation
- Fuel Cell Prototyping Center
- Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center
- Ohio Center for Advanced Propulsion and Power
Private institutions in Ohio conducting research and development include:
- The Research Institute at Nationwide Children's Hospital
- Procter & Gamble
- B&C Research, Inc., a division of Alcoa
- Honda of America
- House Care Research Center
- GE Aviation
- Rolls Royce
- General Dynamics
- Arctic Slope Regional Corporation
- Ross Laboratories
- Cardinal Health
- Babcock & Wilcox Company Research Center
- Keithley Instruments, Inc.
- Swagelok Co.
- Amylin Pharmaceuticals
- Bridgestone Technical Center
- Wil Research Labs
- Chemical Abstracts Service
- Diagnostic Hybrids, Inc.
- Parker Hannifin
- Dana Corp.
- Delphi Technologies
- PPG Industries
- Ashland Chemical
- Lincoln Electric
- Rockwell Automation Technologies
- Ethicon Endo-Surgery
- Scotts Miracle-Gro
- Global Cardiovascular Innovation Center
- Pilkington North America
- AK Steel
- First Solar
- Global Titanium Research and Development Center
Collegiate institutions in Ohio conducting major research and development include:
- Ohio State University
- Case Western Reserve University
- Miami University
- University of Cincinnati
- Wright State University
- Medical College of Ohio
- Kent State University
- University of Toledo
- University of Dayton
- Ohio University
- University of Akron
- ^ "For the best R&D ideas, look no further than Ohio", Cleveland Plain-Dealer, Retrieved 22 sept 2009.
- ^ "Ohio State at a glance", Ohio State, Retrieved 22 sept 2009.
- ^ "Ohio tops national hospital rankings", All Business, Retrieved September 22, 2009.
- ^ "Ohio R&D 2009", The Alliance for Science & Technology Research in America, Retrieved 22 sept 2009.
- ^ "Ohio's Innovation Economy", State of Ohio, Retrieved 22 sept 2009.
- ^ "Aerospace Hub: Creating Synergy", University of Dayton News. 23 aug 2010. Retrieved 5 sept 2010.
- ^ Research Park marks 25 years of growth
- ^ "Cooper Park takes next step", Mark Ferenchik. Columbus Dispatch. 31 aug 2010. Retrieved 5 sept 2010.
- ^ "Goodyear Celebrates 111 Years of Innovation", Pitch Engine, Retrieved 28 nov 2009.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center — OSU OARDC Logo Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center (OARDC) is the research institution of the Ohio State University College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences. The center is home to research projects ranging from… … Wikipedia
research and development — Introduction abbreviation R and D, or R & D, in industry, two intimately related processes by which new products and new forms of old products are brought into being through technological innovation. Introduction and definitions … Universalium
Space Solar Power Exploratory Research and Technology program — The Space Solar Power Exploratory Research and Technology program (SERT) program conducted by NASA, was initiated by John Mankins and lead by Joe Howell in March 1999 for the following purpose:* Perform design studies of selected flight… … Wikipedia
Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development — The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (DOTD) is a state government organization in charge of maintaining public transportation, roadways, bridges, canals, select levees, floodplain management, port facilities, commercial… … Wikipedia
Ohio University — Latin: Universitas Ohiensis Motto Religio Doctrina Civilitas, Prae Omnibus Virtus Motto in English Religion, Learning … Wikipedia
Ohio State–Penn State rivalry — Ohio State Buckeyes–Penn State Nittany Lions First meeting Penn State, 37–0 (1912) Last meeting Penn State, 20 14 (2011) Next meeting October 27, 2012 Number of meetings 27 All time series … Wikipedia
Ohio Resource Center — Location The Ohio Resource Center 1929 Kenny Road Columbus, OH 43210 Key people Margaret Kasten, Executive Director David Majesky, Associate Director Nicole Luthy, Assistant Director Area served Ohio Focus Mathematics, Science, Reading … Wikipedia
Ohio State Buckeyes football — Current season … Wikipedia
Ohio Stadium — The Shoe The Horseshoe The House that Harley built Location 411 Woody Hayes Drive Columbus, OH 43210 … Wikipedia
Ohio State University College of Engineering — Established 1882 Type State University College of Engineering Dean Gregory N. Washington, Interim Dean Academic staff 282 full time engineering and architecture faculty members 11 National … Wikipedia