- Ostwestfalen-Lippe University of Applied Sciences
Ostwestfalen-Lippe University of Applied Sciences Hochschule Ostwestfalen-Lippe Established 1971 Type Public President Dr. Oliver Herrmann Admin. staff 607 Students 6,000 Location Lemgo, NRW,Ostwestfalen-Lippe, Germany Campus Lemgo, Detmold, Höxter, Warburg Website http://www.hs-owl.de/en
The Ostwestfalen-Lippe University of Applied Sciences (German: Hochschule Ostwestfalen-Lippe or Hochschule OWL) is an state institution in Germany, which carries out research and higher education at four locations. OWL University enrolled 6.000 students in 9 faculties, which offers Bachelor and Master study programmes. Ph.D.-Studies are carried out in cooperation with different partner universities (e.g.). The headquarter is located in Lemgo, between Hannover and Bielefeld, in the north-east of the state North Rhine-Westphalia. The university is named just as the region Ostwestfalen-Lippe, which is one of the most important clusters of machine engineering and industrial electronics in Germany. Because of its research strength the university became a full member of the European University Association in October 2010.
Facts and figures
As of September 1, 2011
- Students: 6,000
- Professors: 163
- Teaching, scientific and administrative staff: 607
- Trainees: 56
- Laboratories: 75
- Budget in 2010: €43.6 m
- Lemgo is home to the engineering disciplines (Production Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science), supplemented by courses such as Media Production, Wood Technology and Economics. Food Technology is unique to the Hochschule Ostwestfalen-Lippe – University of Applied Sciences in NRW.
- Detmold, which focuses on disciplines involving construction, attracts attention nationwide. Interior Design and the international degree programme Industrial Engineering – Construction are unique to the Hochschule Ostwestfalen-Lippe – University of Applied Sciences in NRW.
- Höxter has made a name for itself as a campus dedicated to ecological aspects in the teaching of its technical degree programmes and in applied research. This aspect applies not only to landscape architecture, but also to environmental engineering.
At the Ostwestfalen-Lippe University of Applied Sciences, research is carried out, well-reputated in the fields of food safety and industrial informatics. The Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science belongs to the most successful research-oriented faculties at Fachhochschulen in Germany.
The CIIT (Centrum Industrial IT) is a Science-to-Business Center located at the university campus of Lemgo, which is focussed to enable information technologies for intelligent technical systems. Research institutions like the University Institute Industrial IT (inIT) and the Fraunhofer Competence-Center Industrial Automation (IOSB-INA) as well as high-tech companies are working under one umbrella to create solutions for smart automation with a strong focus on networked embedded real-time systems.
January 2011 the Research Institute of Food Technology (ILT-NRW) was founded at the Lemgo Campus. It is the first institute of its sort in the german state of North Rhine-Westphalia.
Already in the 1920s and 1930s there was an technical college in Lemgo, but it was closed in 1938 since most students and professors were drafted into military service. In October 1964, the school of engineering was founded, starting with 36 students of mechanical engineering. In 1966 students of Electrical Engineering were enrolled.
The Hochschule Ostwestfalen-Lippe – University of Applied Sciences was founded as Fachhochschule Lippe in 1971. In 2007 the University Council decided to rename the university to Hochschule Ostwestfalen-Lippe (international: Ostwestfalen-Lippe University of Applied Sciences) as an acknowledgement to the emergent same-named region and the wider offer of study programmes.
- Architecture und interior design
- Media Production
- Civil Engineering
- Life Science Technologies
- Electrical Engineering und Computer Science
- Mechanical Engineering und Mechatronics
- Production und Economics
- Environmental Engineering und Applied Computer Science
- Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning
International Study Programmes
The university offers together with three other european universities (Wrocław University of Technology, Polen, Aalborg University, Denmark and Halmstad University, Sweden) a joint international graduate programme to achieve a Master of Science (M.Sc.) degree in Information Technology
- ^ Cooperation Institut Industrial IT (inIT) and University of Paderborn
- ^ EUA Webseite (Access: 3. November 2010)
- ^ Annual report 2009/2010
- ^ CHE Hochschulranking 2010/2011(last Access: 3. Mai 2010)
- ^ Homepage Master IT Programme(last Access: 3. November 2010)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
University of Applied Sciences Aachen — Fachhochschule Aachen Gründung 1971 Trägerschaft staatlich Ort Aachen … Deutsch Wikipedia
University of Applied Sciences Köln — Fachhochschule Köln Gründung 1971 Trägerschaft staatlich Ort Köln … Deutsch Wikipedia
University of Applied Sciences Münster — Fachhochschule Münster Gründung 1971 Trägerschaft staatlich Ort Münster … Deutsch Wikipedia
Cologne University of Applied Sciences — Fachhochschule Köln Gründung 1971 Trägerschaft staatlich Ort Köln … Deutsch Wikipedia
Cologne University of Applied Sciences Köln — Fachhochschule Köln Gründung 1971 Trägerschaft staatlich Ort Köln … Deutsch Wikipedia
Hochschule Ostwestfalen-Lippe — Gründung 1. August 1971 Trägerschaft staatlich … Deutsch Wikipedia
HS Ostwestfalen-Lippe — Hochschule Ostwestfalen Lippe Gründung 1. August 1971 Trägerschaft staatlich Ort Detmold … Deutsch Wikipedia
Fachhochschule Lippe — Hochschule Ostwestfalen Lippe Gründung 1. August 1971 Trägerschaft staatlich Ort Detmold … Deutsch Wikipedia
Fachhochschule Lippe und Höxter — Hochschule Ostwestfalen Lippe Gründung 1. August 1971 Trägerschaft staatlich Ort Detmold … Deutsch Wikipedia
Warburg — Wappen Deutschlandkarte … Deutsch Wikipedia