Not Like the Movies
"Not Like the Movies" Promotional single by Katy Perry from the album Teenage Dream Released August 3, 2010 Format Digital download Recorded 2010; Rocket Carousel Studio
(Los Angeles, California)
Genre Teen pop, pop Length 4:01 Label Capitol Writer Katy Perry, Greg Wells Producer Greg Wells Teenage Dream track listing "Hummingbird Heartbeat"
"Not Like the Movies"
"Not Like the Movies" is a song by American singer-songwriter Katy Perry. The song was written by Perry for her second mainstream studio album, Teenage Dream (2010), while production and additional writing was done by Greg Wells. It was released on August 3, 2010, by Capitol Records as the album's first promotional single. The song is a teen pop and pop ballad from the point of view of a teenage girl. Lyrically, the girl contemplates her first time and how "it wasn't right". She realizes through that experience that her "prince" is still "out there" waiting for her. It was written when Perry first started dating her now-husband, Russell Brand.
"Not Like the Movies" received positive reviews from music critics, some of whom called it a powerful and lovely song, as well a contemplative ballad, but noticed that the song's lyrics make only minimal reference to Perry's husband, Russell Brand. "Not Like the Movies" achieved moderate success, peaking at number 53 on US Billboard Hot 100 chart and at number 41 on the Canadian Hot 100 chart. Perry performed the song on her California Dreams Tour (2011). She also did a performance of the song at the 53rd Grammy Awards on February 13, 2011.
In an interview with YouTube about Teenage Dream in August 2010, Perry revealed that "Not Like the Movies" was the first song she wrote for the album after she finished her Hello Katy Tour (2009). Production and additional writing to song were done by Greg Wells, who previously worked with the singer on her second studio album, One of the Boys (2008). Perry considers it to be like that of a two-part song because she had started working on "Not Like the Movies" before she met Russell Brand, and completed it after they began dating. She stated it is a "really special" song to her because, at the first part of the track, it is a story that she needed to let out, which was claiming to know something that you do not actually know. Perry later expressed relief at being able to put all of her feelings into "Not Like the Movies".
"Not Like the Movies" is a teen pop and pop ballad song that lasts for four minutes and one second. The song is composed in the key of A♭ major and is set in time signature of common time, with a moderate tempo of 100 beats per minute. Perry's vocal range spans over an octave, from F♯3 to E♭5. The song has a basic sequence of A♭5–Fm7–Cm–E♭ as its chord progression. Lyrically, "Not Like the Movies" is a song about a love relationship where a woman does not feel in love and still waits for the man of her dreams, or "charming prince", as a Terra reviewer put it. Chris Ryan from MTV News interpreted the song as largely being about how being in love does not meet your expectations and never really captures "the cinematic magic of big-screen love stories." PopMatters staff writer Steve Leftridge considered the track to have a "ho-hum" melody. Its melody was compared to Britney Spears' "Everytime" (2003) and Evanescence's "My Immortal" (2003). During the chorus, Perry sings about holding out for a love that it "cinematic and dramatic/With the perfect ending" and later asks if she is a "stupid girl", according to USA Today's Elysa Gardner and an anonymous reviewer for Portrait Magazine. A reviewer for Portrait Magazine, considering it to be the slowest-paced song on Teenage Dream, said it juxtaposed well with the other tracks. "It takes all the energy from the rest of the album, all the fast beating hearts and overwhelming feelings of love, and slows it all down to a song about looking for love instead," they wrote.
Critical reviews for "Not Like the Movies" have been mostly favorable. Bill Lamb of About.com commented that "Not Like the Movies" is "another powerful song and this time slows things down for a contemplative ballad". Chris Ryan of MTV said the song is"rather lovely", but noted that its lyrics refers "very little" to Perry's husband, Russell Brand. Elysa Gardner of USA Today called "Not Like the Movies" an "irresistible power ballad" and recommended readers to purchase the song. A staff writer for Portrait Magazine stated that "Not Like the Movies" was a great way to end Teenage Dream and that it showcases the singer's voice quite well, as she has "lyrics to work for instead of ones to just play around with." The reviewer concluded that it was a "really good song."
Although "Not Like the Movies" was distributed as a promotional single, it still managed to enter music charts based on legally paid digital download sales. For the week ending August 11, 2010, "Not Like the Movies" debuted at number 53 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart, and stayed on the chart for only one week. It also managed to enter another Billboard component chart, the Hot Digital Songs, where the song found its peak at number twenty-two selling 57,000 digital downloads. On the Canadian Hot 100, the song's highest position was at number forty-one.
Perry included the song on her setlist for her 2011 world concert tour entitled California Dreams Tour. For performances of the song, she would sit on a flower-entwined bower swing that rises up to reveal a large white bridal train that flows out to complete the entire backdrop. At the same time, a bubble machine started-up and the bed-sheet hanging behind her showed footage of cartoon animals falling in love. In The Arizona Republic's Ed Masley's review of one of her concerts, he said her performance of "Not Like the Movies" was "sweet".
The song was also performed live during the 53rd Grammy Awards. Dressed in a sparkly pale-pink, "princess-like" dress and wearing glittery make-up, Perry sat on a swing that continued to rise high above the stage as she sung the lyrics to "Not Like the Movies". During the same performance, as she sang "when he’s the one/I’ll come undone," home-movie footage of her recent wedding to Russell Brand was projected on the curtain draps placed behind the singer. This was the first time that footage was shown. MTV News reporter Mawuse Ziegbe called it a "heartfelt tribute". Claire Suddath of Time magazine said the "Valentine's Day–themed performance coupled with Perry's wedding footage made-up for the swing that looked like a high school–yearbook photo backdrop". She gave it a Suddath "B+" rating. The Star Tribune's Jon Bream gave it a B grade.
- Digital download
- "Not Like the Movies" – 4:01
Credits and personnel
Credits adapted from the Teenage Dream liner notes.
- Katy Perry – songwriting, vocals
- Greg Wells – songwriting, producing, drums, piano, programming
- Lewis Tozour – recording
- Serban Ghenea – mixing
- John Hanes – mix engineer
- Tim Roberts – assistant
Chart (2010) Peak
Canada (Canadian Hot 100) 41 US Billboard Hot 100 53
- 2010 in music
- ^ a b c "Katy Perry talks "Not Like the Movies"". Katy Perry Music. YouTube. August 3, 2010. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKW2WvSUHQI. Retrieved September 5, 2011.
- ^ a b c "Katy Perry Not Like the Movies – Digital Sheet Music". MusicNotes.com. Alfred Music Publishing. http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtdVPE.asp?ppn=MN0088658. Retrieved September 4, 2011.
- ^ a b c d Gardner, Elysa (August 18, 2010). "Review: Katy Perry is 'Dream'-ing of Madonna". USA Today. Gannett Company. http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/reviews/2010-08-19-katyperry19_VA_N.htm. Retrieved September 4, 2011.
- ^ a b "Not Like The Movies – Single by Katy Perry". Capitol Records. iTunes Store. August 8, 2010. http://itunes.apple.com/be/album/not-like-the-movies-single/id384661761. Retrieved September 4, 2011.
- ^ "Katy Perry New Song 'Not Like the Movies' Out Now". Terra. Terra Networks. http://en.terra.com/music/news/katy_perry_new_song_not_like_the_movies_out_now/oci36714. Retrieved September 4, 2011.
- ^ a b c Ryan, Chris (September 4, 2011). "Song You Need To Know: Katy Perry, 'Not Like The Movies'". MTV. Viacom. http://buzzworthy.mtv.com/2010/08/03/song-you-need-to-know-katy-perry-not-like-the-movies/. Retrieved August 5, 2010.
- ^ a b Leftridge, Steve (October 4, 2010). "Katy Perry: Teenage Dream". PopMatters. PopMatters, Media Inc. http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/130887-katy-perry-teenage-dream. Retrieved September 4, 2011.
- ^ a b "Katy Perry: Teenage Dream". Portrait Magazine. http://www.portraitmagazine.net/reviews/albums/teenagedream.html. Retrieved September 4, 2011.
- ^ Lamb, Bill (September 6, 2011). "Katy Perry Releases "Not Like the Movies" In Series of Singles Leading Up to Teenage Dream Album". About.com. The New York Times Company. http://top40.about.com/b/2010/08/03/katy-perry-releases-not-like-the-movies-in-series-of-singles-leading-up-to-teenage-dream-album.htm. Retrieved August 5, 2010.
- ^ Sheffield, Rob (August 23, 2010). "Teenage Dream by Katy Perry – Music Review". Rolling Stone. Wenner Media LLC. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/teenage-dream-20100823. Retrieved September 4, 2011.
- ^ Pietroluongo, Silvio (August 11, 2010). "Taylor Swift Makes Sparkling Hot 100 Entrance". Billboard (New York: Prometheus Global Media). http://www.billboard.com/news/taylor-swift-makes-sparkling-hot-100-entrance-1004108563.story. Retrieved September 4, 2011.
- ^ a b c d "Katy Perry Charts & Awards: Billboard Singles". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. http://allmusic.com/artist/katy-perry-p1010533/charts-awards/billboard-singles. Retrieved September 4, 2011.
- ^ MacKay, Emily (April 4, 2011). "Live Review: Katy Perry". NME. IPC Media. http://www.nme.com/reviews/katy-perry/11946. Retrieved August 24, 2011.
- ^ a b Masley, Ed (August 4, 2011). "Katy Perry brings candy-coated California Dreams to Phoenix". The Arizona Republic. Gannett Company. http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/music/articles/2011/08/04/20110804katy-perry-brings-her-candy-coated-california-dreams-phoenix.html. Retrieved August 24, 2011.
- ^ a b Ziegbe, Mawuse (February 13, 2011). "Katy Perry Shares Russell Brand Wedding Footage At Grammys". MTV News. Viacom. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1657862/katy-perry-grammy-performance.jhtml. Retrieved September 5, 2011.
- ^ Talarico, Brittany (February 14, 2011). "Katy Perry’s “Heavenly” Grammy Performance Pays Tribute to Her Wedding with Russell Brand". OK!. Northern & Shell. http://www.okmagazine.com/2011/02/katy-perrys-heavenly-grammy-performance-pays-tribute-to-her-wedding-with-russell-brand/. Retrieved September 5, 2011.
- ^ Willis, Jackie (February 13, 2011). "Katy Perry Plays Home Wedding Video at Grammys". Entertainment Tonight. http://www.etonline.com/music/107672_Katy_Perry_Plays_Home_Wedding_Video_at_Grammys/index.html. Retrieved September 5, 2011.
- ^ Suddath, Claire (February 14, 2011). "Katy Perry; 'Not Like the Movies,' 'Teenage Dream' (Medley)". Time. Time Warner Inc. http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2048962_2048961_2048945,00.html. Retrieved September 5, 2011.
- ^ Bream, Jon (February 14, 2011). "Grading the Grammy performances". Star Tribune. Michael J. Klingensmith. http://www.startribune.com/entertainment/blogs/116143149.html. Retrieved September 5, 2011.
- ^ Perry, Katy (2010). Album notes for Teenage Dream (Liner Notes) by Katy Perry [Compact Disc]. Los Angeles, California: Capitol Records.
Katy Perry Studio albums and singles"Trust In Me""California Gurls" · "Teenage Dream" · "Firework" · "E.T." · "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)" · "The One That Got Away" Promotional singles Other songs"I Do Not Hook Up" ToursHeadliningHello Katy Tour · California Dreams TourJoint/Opening act Related articlesAwards and nominations · The Matrix · Russell Brand · Travie McCoy · Purr
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Not Like the Movies — Single promotionnel par Katy Perry extrait de l’album Teenage Dream Sortie 3 août 2010 Enregistrement 2010 Durée 4:01 Genre Pop, ballade … Wikipédia en Français
Not Like The Movies — «Not Like the Movies» песня американской певицы и автора песен Кэти Перри. Песня была написана Кэти Перри, для ее второго студийного альбома: «Teenage Dream», в то время, как ее продюсером и со автором был Greg Wells. Релиз состоялся 3… … Википедия
Not Like the Movies — «Not Like the Movies» Sencillo promocional de Katy Perry del álbum Teenage Dream Publicación 3 de agosto de 2010 Formato Descarga Digital Grabación 2009, 2010 Género(s) Rock po … Wikipedia Español
The Movies — Infobox VG| title = The Movies developer = Lionhead Studios(For Windows) Robosoft Technologies (For Mac) publisher = Activision(For Windows) Feral Interactive (For Mac) designers = Adrian Moore, Mark Webley, Oliver Purkiss, James Brown, Peter… … Wikipedia
NBC Saturday Night at the Movies — NBC Saturday Night at the Movies, was the first continuing weekly prime time network television series to show relatively recent feature films from major studios in color. The series premiered in September 1961. Contents 1 History 1.1… … Wikipedia
I Lost It at the Movies — (1965) is Pauline Kael s first collection of reviews, covering the years 1954 1965, which was published prior to her long stint at The New Yorker . As a result, the pieces in the book are culled from radio broadcasts that she did while she was at … Wikipedia
Bowling for Soup Goes to the Movies — Infobox Album Name = Bowling for Soup Goes to the Movies Type = Compilation Artist = Bowling for Soup Released = November 15 2005 Recorded = Genre = Pop punk Length = 45:21 Label = FFroe/Jive/Zomba Producer = Jaret Reddick, Casey Diiorio, Eric… … Wikipedia
Hungry Like the Wolf — Infobox Single | Name = Hungry Like the Wolf Caption = Artist = Duran Duran from Album = Rio B side = Careless Memories (live) Released = 4 May, 1982 Format = 7 , 12 Recorded = Air Studios, London 1982 Genre = Rock, New Wave Length = 4:11 or 5:14 … Wikipedia
Jesus Hits Like the Atom Bomb — Infobox Album Name = Jesus Hits Like the Atom Bomb Type = studio Artist = Tripping Daisy Released = July 7, 1998 Recorded = 1997 Genre = Rock Length = 56:50 Label = Island Producer = Eric Drew Feldman Reviews = Last album = I Am an Elastic… … Wikipedia
The Matrix (album) — The Matrix Album par The Matrix Sortie 27 Janvier 2009 (iTunes) Enregistrement 2004 Genre Pop rock, Rock, Alternative rock, Dance pop Producteur The Matrix … Wikipédia en Français