North Hoyle Offshore Wind Farm
North Hoyle Offshore Wind Farm
North Hoyle wind farm viewed from Rhyl's East Parade
Country Wales Location Liverpool Bay, north east Wales Coordinates Coordinates: Status Operational Commission date 2003 Operator(s) RWE Npower Turbine information Turbines 30 x 2 MW Manufacturer(s) Vestas Model(s) Vestas V80 Offshore Wind Turbine Wind farm information Type Offshore Surface area 10 km2 (3.9 sq mi) Distance from shore 7.5 km (4.7 mi) Power generation information Installed capacity 60 MW Capacity factor 33-36%
The first of the UK's Round 1 offshore wind farms, North Hoyle covers an area of 10 square kilometres (3.9 sq mi), and is located approximately 7.5 kilometres (4.7 mi) off the coast of North Wales, between the towns of Rhyl and Prestatyn. The Round 1 projects were intended to act as testbeds; building the UK's understanding of offshore wind, whilst in total also providing well over 1,000 MW of green generating capacity for the UK. All of the Round 1 offshore wind farms were limited to a maximum area of 10 square kilometres (3.9 sq mi), and no more than 30 wind turbines.
The wind farm's 30 Vestas V80 Offshore wind turbines are each rated at 2 MW capacity, giving a maximum project output of 60 MW. At the time of installation this was the most powerful wind farm in the UK, producing sufficient electricity annually to power 50,000 homes. Between 2004 and 2010, the capacity factor was between 33 to 36%.
Independent surveys carried out for the operators of North Hoyle have shown that the wind farm is very popular among local residents. An opinion poll carried out in 2003, after one year of operation, showed that 73% of people expressed support for the project and only 5% opposed it.
- Wind Power
- List of offshore wind farms
- List of offshore wind farms in the United Kingdom
- List of offshore wind farms in the Irish Sea
- Wind power in the United Kingdom
- ^ "LORC Knowledge - Datasheet for North Hoyle Offshore Wind Farm". LORC Knowledge. 2011-03-14. http://www.lorc.dk/Knowledge/Offshore-renewables-map/Offshore-site-datasheet/North-Hoyle-Offshore-Wind-Farm/000016. Retrieved 2011-06-20.
- ^ Dunford et al. UK Renewable Energy Data, Issue 10 p43 Renewable Energy Foundation, 29 July 2010. Accessed: 30 September 2011.
- "npower renewables - North Hoyle web page". http://www.npower-renewables.com/northhoyle/index.asp. Retrieved 12 July 2007.
- "npower renewables - North Hoyle press release". http://www.npower-renewables.com/pressreleases/offshorewind/041123_northhoyle.asp. Retrieved 21 June 2007.
- "The Crown Estate - offshore wind pages". http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/our_portfolio/marine/33_energy_and_telecoms-2/offshore_wind_energy.htm. Retrieved 12 July 2007.
- "British Wind Energy Association - operational wind farm database". http://www.bwea.com/ukwed/operational.asp. Retrieved 8 August 2007.
Wind power in the United Kingdom Energy in the United Kingdom · Renewable energy in the United Kingdom Companies Onshore wind farms Offshore wind farms Turbine installation vessels Other Category · Commons Energy in Wales Companies and organisations Power stationsFutureCoal-firedActiveAberthaw · UskmouthClosedLlynfi (demolished)Gas-firedActiveFutureActiveActiveClosedTrawsfynydd (decommissioned)ClosedPembroke (demolished)ActiveFutureBrechfa Forest · Gwynt y Môr Category
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Dudgeon Offshore Wind Farm — Dudgeon Wind Farm … Wikipedia
North Hoyle — Wales first offshore wind farm, and the UK s first major offshore renewable power project, the North Hoyle Offshore Wind Farm in Liverpool Bay, commenced operation in 2003. The first of the UK s Round 1 offshore wind farms, North Hoyle covers an… … Wikipedia
Windpark North Hoyle — f2 Windpark North Hoyle Bild gesucht BW Lage … Deutsch Wikipedia
List of offshore wind farms — Map of all coordinates from Google Map of all coordinates from Bing Export all coordinates as KML … Wikipedia
Crystal Rig Wind Farm — in the Lammermuir Hills … Wikipedia
Wind power in the United Kingdom — passed the milestone of 2 GW installed capacity on 9 February 2007 with the opening of the Braes O Doune wind farm, near Stirling. [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6344215.stm BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | UK wind power reaches milestone ] ]… … Wikipedia
Liste der Offshore-Windparks — Anlagen des Windparkes Middelgrunden am Øresund Die Liste der Offshore Windparks führt alle Windparks auf (ab zwei Windkraftanlagen, einzelne Anlagen werden separat aufgeführt), die im Wasser stehen, sowohl an der Küste (nearshore) als auch auf… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Vestas Wind Systems — A/S Rechtsform Aktiengesellschaft ISIN DK0010268606 Gründung 1986 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Rhyl Flats — Offshore Wind Farm will be Wales second offshore wind farm and the third offshore wind farm to be built within Liverpool Bay. The Rhyl Flats site is located off the coast of North Wales, approximately 8 km north east of Llandudno. Construction is … Wikipedia
Gwynt y Môr — is a proposed 750 MW offshore wind farm located off the coast of North Wales. Planning applications for the project were submitted in 2005 and construction is expected to start in 2010. Gwynt y Môr would be Wales largest wind farm; capable of… … Wikipedia