- Begumgonj Textile Engineering College, Noakhali
Begumgonj Textile Engineering College (BTEC) Motto "Textile Means Developing & Prosperity" Established 2006 Type public Endowment Government, Chittagong University Principal Abdul Mannan Admin. staff Around 40 Students 240 Undergraduates 240 Location Begumgonj, Noakhali, Bangladesh Nickname BTEC Website www.btec.jimdo.com
Begumgonj Textile Engineering College, Noakhali (Bengali: বেগমগন্জ টেক্সটাইল ইন্জিনিয়ারিং কলেজ, নোয়াখালী ) is an engineering educational institute in Bangladesh and operates under the University of Chittagong. It plays an important role in textile education in Bangladesh. Its Educational Constitution is under the University of Chittagong, Science Faculty.
- 1 History
- 2 Specialization
- 3 Courses by year
- 4 Student population
- 5 General admission procedure and entry requirements
- 6 Career prospects
- 7 Workshops and laboratories
- 8 References
- 9 See also
During the British colonial rule from 1911 to 1929, 33 peripatetic weaving schools were established in East Bengal to meet the requirements for a textile technician by offering an artisan-level six-month course. Begumgonj Textile Engineering College, Noakhali is one of them; it was established in 1918. In 1968 it was upgraded to District Weaving School offering a one-year course and in 1981 District Textile Institute offering a two-year certificate course in textile technology. But the certificate course was not acceptable to the industry.
In 1993 a three-year diploma course was introduced under Bangladesh Technical Education Board (BTEB) which was treated as a milestone for the textile education. The duration of this course was extended to four years in 2001.
To meet the challenge of increasing demand of new sophisticated and latest technology, the government decided to upgrade the institute to B.Sc. In textile engineering, the college was upgraded in 2007 to offer B.Sc. in textile engineering course affiliated by the University of Chittagong.
The college offers four-year B.Sc. in Textile Engineering program with specialization in
- Yarn Manufacturing Technology
- Fabric Manufacturing Technology
- Wet Processing Technology
- Apparel Manufacturing Technology
- Fashion & Design Technology
Courses by year
The first-year syllabus consists of pure science in addition to some basic concepts of textile engineering.
- Textile Raw Material-1
- Polymer Science
- Language English
- Business English
- Engineering Drawing
- Engineering Material and Practices
From second year and onward, students acquire wide range of theoretical and practical knowledge in the area of textile engineering which equip them for future employment. Subject offered in the second year are:
- Yarn Manufacturing-1
- Fabric Manufacturing-1
- Wet Processing-1
- Garments Manufacturing-1
- Fabric Structure and Design
- Textile Raw Material-2
- Textile Physics-1
- Textile Testing and Quality Control-1
- Elements of Electrical Engineering and Electronics
- Elements of Mechanical Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
Subjects offered in third year:
- Yarn Manufacturing-2 (Short staple)
- Yarn Manufacturing-3 (Long staple)
- Fabric Manufacturing-2 (Weaving)
- Fabric Manufacturing-3 (Knitting & non-woven)
- Wet Processing-2 (Dyeing)
- Wet Processing-3 (Printing & Finishing)
- Garments Manufacturing-2 (Assembling & Finishing)
- Garments Manufacturing-3 (Fashion & Design)
- Textile Physics-2
- Textile Testing and Quality Control-2
- Industrial Management
In the fourth or final year, students have to choose subjects for specialization. Subjects offered in fourth year:
- Advanced Yarn / Fabric / Wet Processing / Garments Manufacturing/ Physiological Aspect of Clothing
- Special Yarn / Fabric / Wet Processing / Garments Manufacturing/ Fashion Marketing
- Utility Services and Maintenance of Textile Machinery/ Fashion Illustration & Collection
- Application of Computer in Textile
- Textile Testing and Quality Control-3
- Production Planning and Control
- Project Work
- Industrial Attachment
- Comprehensive Viva
At present approximately 240 students are enrolled in this college.
General admission procedure and entry requirements
Admission to the Begumgonj Textile Engineering College is competitive and needs a high academic attainment in S.S.C. and H.S.C. level. Selection of the student for admission is made through admission test of 200 marks. Students get a chance to take admission according to merit.
The entry requirements for admission test are:
- Applicant must be permanent citizen of Bangladesh.
- Applicant must be from science background having minimum GPA 4.0 (without fourth subject) in SSC or equivalent and minimum GPA 4.0 (without fourth subject) in HSC or equivalent exam. Applicant must have average GP 4.5 and individually GP 3.5 in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics at HSC or equivalent level.
- GEC holder applicant must have average B grade in five subjects in O-Level and secure average B-grade in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics in the A-Level; D grade is not accepted.
- Are not applicable for previous year students.
- Some seats are reserved for the freedom fighter and tribal communities.
The technological knowledge and skills of many textile engineers are valued by textile manufacturing companies. The industry realizes that its future depends upon the quality of its technology and managers, because the quality of product and productivity play the vital role for exporting garments. As a result, export in garments sector nowadays reached about 76% of the total export of the country.
The majority of textile graduates take up posts in the textile manufacturing industry as process or plant managers, development engineers or technologists. Recent graduates have found employment in the areas of production management, design, textile testing and quality assurance, new product development, buying house, commercial banks, customs etc. There is a huge demand for textile engineers in Bangladesh. This college tries to take advantage of those openings by training its students in a way that fits the market.
Workshops and laboratories
The workshop and laboratories of the college are equipped with modern machinery and equipments that is comparable to any international standard.
Yarn Manufacturing Laboratory
This laboratory provides practical knowledge regarding the yarn preparing technology: short staple (cotton) and long staple (jute). The laboratory facilities includes conventional and modern machinery with new technology like open-end spinning, air jet spinning etc.
The laboratory has the facility to weave cotton, synthetic and jute fabric including tappet, dobby and jacquard loom, hand-operated loom, ordinary-power loom, automatic-power loom and modern loom with CAD system. Modern looms include air-jet, rapier with electronic jacquard, projectile.
This laboratory is equipped with warp and weft knitting machinery. Warp knitting machinery includes raschel and tricot machines and weft knitting machine include circular (single jersey, interlock, rib, jacquard) and flat knitting machine.
Wet Processing Laboratory
This laboratory includes machinery of singeing, desizing, mercerizing, dyeing, printing and finishing. Student are able to achieve detailed ideas about total wet processing technology from this laboratory. This laboratory has the facility of dyeing material as fibre, yarn and fabric form and various style of printing. This laboratory has computerized data colour system, gas chromatography and mass spectrophotometer, light fastness and other quality control equipment required to ensure dyeing and finishing quality.
Garments laboratory is equipped with all type of cutting, sewing and finishing machinery used in the garment industry. This laboratory is equipped with avLectra CAD-CAM System for computerized marker making and cutting and garments dyeing, washing and embroidery machine.
Testing laboratory is one of the richest laboratory in the country and has the testing facility to test fibre, yarn and fabric. Almost all sorts to textile test can be performed here. This laboratory has conventional and modern testing machine including Evenness Testing, Classimat, Single Yarn Strength Tester, Multifunctional Superba Tester, HFT and Electronic Microscope.so
To build up the students for the new millennium well equipped computer laboratory provides the facility to get practical of 40 students at a time. We have also facilities to use internet for teachers & Students.
This laboratory gives the idea to the students about electronic and electrical technology. This laboratory is equipped with pneumatic and electro-pneumatic control system.
Physics laboratory is NONwell equipped with machinery and equipment suitable for UNgraduate students.
Chemistry laboratory is suitable for serving 40 students at a time.
Engineering workshop is equipped with lathe machine, universal strength tester, shaping machine, cutting machine, drill machine, welding machine, circular saw and tools for carpenters.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
College of Textile Engineering and Technology — The Bangladesh Textile University is one of reputed engineering educational institutes in Bangladesh Contents 1 History 2 Courses 3 Students 3.1 Admission Procedure and Entry Requirements … Wikipedia
Noakhali District — Noakhali নোয়াখালী জিলা District Location of Noakhali in Bangladesh … Wikipedia
University of Chittagong — চট্টগ্রাম বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় Established 1966 Type Public Endowment … Wikipedia