Air Nigeria


Air Nigeria
Air Nigeria
IATA
VK
ICAO
VGN
Callsign
VIRGIN NIGERIA
Founded 2004 (as Virgin Nigeria)
Commenced operations 28 June 2005
Operating bases Murtala Muhammed International Airport
Frequent-flyer program Eagleflier
Fleet size 11
Destinations 17
Parent company Nicon Group (50%)
Virgin Atlantic Airways (50%)
Headquarters Ikeja, Lagos State, Nigeria
Key people Jimoh Ibrahim (Chairman)
Kinfe Kahssaye (CEO)
Website www.myairnigeria.com

Air Nigeria (formerly Nigerian Eagle Airlines and Virgin Nigeria Airways), is the national flag carrier of Nigeria. The airline operates scheduled regional and domestic passenger services. Its base is Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos. The airline is a replacement for defunct Nigeria Airways. Its registered office is in Ikoyi, Lagos State, while its head office is on the 9th floor of Etiebets Place in Ikeja, Lagos State.[1]

The carrier's loyalty programme is named 'Eagleflier'.

Contents

History

Virgin Nigeria's logo.

On 28 September 2004, the Nigerian government and Virgin Group signed an agreement to establish a new airline for Nigeria, to be called Virgin Nigeria Airways. Nigerian institutional investors owned 51% of the company and Virgin Atlantic Airways the remaining 49%. The airline's inaugural flight was on 28 June 2005 from Lagos to London Heathrow using an Airbus A340-300 aircraft. Virgin Nigeria quickly became one of Nigeria's largest airlines, carrying its 1,000,000th passenger and 4,000th ton of freight within two years of operation. The airline has also received accolades including THISDAY Awards 2006 Airline of the year[2] and a nomination for 2006 African Airline of the year by ASATA (Association of South African Travel Agents).[3] Virgin Nigeria had plans of making Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja its second base where in addition to its Lagos base Murtala Mohammed International Airport it would serve all countries in West Africa.[4]

The Nigerian government set a deadline of 30 April 2007 for all airlines operating in the country to re-capitalise or be grounded, in an effort to ensure better services and safety. The airline satisfied the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA)’s criteria in terms of re-capitalization and was re-registered for operation.[5]

Sale of Virgin's stake and rebranding

A Virgin Nigeria Airbus A330-200 at London Gatwick Airport, England that was leased from bmi. (2007)

On 19 August 2008, Virgin Atlantic announced that it was "in talks to sell its 49 percent stake in Virgin Nigeria" and reviewing "whether it is appropriate that the Virgin brand should remain linked to Virgin Nigeria”.[6] This followed a dispute which arose after Virgin Nigeria's domestic operations were moved against its will by the Ministry of Transportation to Terminal 2. Virgin Nigeria had twice refused the directive to relocate its domestic operations from the international terminal citing the Memorandum of Mutual Understanding it signed with the previous (Olusegun Obasanjo) administration and pending appeal in a Lagos High court as reasons for not complying.

On 9 January 2009, Virgin Nigeria announced they would suspend all long haul flights to London Gatwick Airport and Johannesburg, effective 27 January 2009.[7].

Logo used for Nigerian Eagle Airlines.

On 17 September 2009, Virgin Nigeria announced on their website they had rebranded as Nigerian Eagle Airlines. Nigerian Eagle Airlines also stated that they planned to focus on domestic and regional flights with further expansion into Europe and eventually the United States of America.[8] Virgin retained its 49% stake in the new Nigerian Eagle Airlines with the remaining 51% held by Nigerian investors.

On 2 June 2010, following the acquisition of a majority share in the airline, Jimoh Ibrahim, the new Chairman, announced that the airline had undergone a further name change to Air Nigeria Development Limited, branded as Air Nigeria.[9]

Destinations

Codeshare agreements

Fleet

Current

The Air Nigeria fleet consists of the following aircraft (at December 2010):[13]

Air Nigeria Fleet
Aircraft In Fleet Orders Passengers
J Y Total
Boeing 737-300 8 0 16 100 116
Boeing 737-400 1 0
Embraer E-190 2 7 12 84 96
Total 11 7

Past fleet

A Virgin Nigeria Airbus A320-211 departs Brussels Airport, Belgium. The aircraft was leased from BH Air. (2005)

Before rebranding, Virgin Nigeria had also operated the following aircraft:[14]

Virgin Nigeria Airways Past Fleet
Aircraft Total Introduced Retired Notes
Airbus A320-211 2 2005 2007 Leased from BH Air
Airbus A330-200 1 2007 2007 Leased from bmi
Airbus A340-300 2 2005 2006 Leased from Virgin Atlantic Airways
ATR 42-500 1 2008 2009 Leased from Interstate Airlines
Boeing 737-300 2 2005 2007 Leased from GECAS
Boeing 767-300ER 2 2007 2009 Leased from SmartLynx Airlines
Fokker 50 2 2007 2008 Leased from Denim Air

References

External links

Portal icon Nigeria portal
Portal icon Companies portal
Portal icon Aviation portal

Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Air Nigeria — Air Nigeria …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • Air Nigeria — У этого термина существуют и другие значения, см. Vk. Air Nigeria …   Википедия

  • Air Nigeria destinations — Air Nigeria (formerly Nigerian Eagle Airlines and Virgin Nigeria Airways), is the national flag carrier of Nigeria. The airline operates scheduled regional and domestic passenger services. Its base is Murtala Mohammed International Airport, Lagos …   Wikipedia

  • Nigeria Airways — Nigeria Airways …   Deutsch Wikipedia

  • Air New Zealand — IATA NZ ICAO ANZ Callsign NEW ZEALAND …   Wikipedia

  • Air Canada — IATA AC ICAO ACA Callsign AIR CANADA …   Wikipedia

  • Air Algérie — Aeriverdan idzayriyen IATA AH ICAO DAH Callsign AIR ALGERIE …   Wikipedia

  • Air India — Air India …   Википедия

  • Air Koryo — IATA JS ICAO KOR Callsign AIR KORYO …   Wikipedia

  • Air Namibia — IATA SW ICAO NMB Callsign NAMIBIA …   Wikipedia


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.