Next Generation Touring Car
Next Generation Touring Car Motor racing formula Category Touring cars Country or region United Kingdom Championships BTCC
Inaugural season 2011 Status Active Current champions None
Next Generation Touring Car, also known as NGTC, is a TOCA specification and classification for production based race cars. The specification covers touring car racing. The goal of the NGTC classification is to allow more manufacturers and privateers to race by reducing the cost of a competitive car and to reduce reliance on the increasingly expensive Super 2000 equipment. The specification was created for use in the British Touring Car Championship and will be phased in over three years from the 2011 British Touring Car Championship season. However, NGTC Engines were first used in the 2010 season by Pinkney Motorsport, Pirtek Racing and Special Tuning UK.
The introduction of these new technical regulations were designed to fulfil the following criteria:
- Dramatically reduce the design, build and running costs of the cars and engines
- Maintain present levels of performance until 2013, to ensure performance parity with current S2000 cars
- Reduce the potential for significant performance disparities between cars
- ‘Future proof’ the regulations by being able to easily modify the various performance parameters
- Reduce reliance on WTCC/S2000 equipment, due to increasing costs/complexity and concerns as to its future sustainability/direction
The NGTC engine had its first run in February 2010, during testing for the 2010 season. Pirtek Racing's Vauxhall Vectra was fitted with the engine, which performed well during a week's testing at Snetterton. For the 2010 BTCC Season the NGTC engine will be used by both Pirtek Racing and Pinkney Motorsport both driving a Vauxhall Vectra. Features include:
- 300+bhp 2-litre turbo-charged direct injection engine
- fly by wire throttle control.
- Low cost to develop, build, buy and maintain. Teams can decide whether build their own unit to the spec, or teams can lease/purchase a TOCA-BTCC engine ready built.
- Over-boost function. This will allow an increased power output from 2013.
- Xtrac 6 speed sequential-shift gearbox.
- AP Racing carbon clutch.
- Front or Rear Wheel Drive. Originally TOCA announced that only front wheel drive cars would be eligible to take part. However, after high interest from teams running rear wheel drive cars, TOCA amended the spec to include both front and rear wheel drive cars.
- Full front sub-frame incorporating suspension, brakes, transmission and engine location that attaches to specified roll cage locations.
- Rear sub-frame that attaches to specified roll cage locations.
- Multi-adjustable double wishbone suspension with coil-over dampers.
- 2, 3, 4 or 5 door of a minimum 4.4m length. (2 or 3 door cars must share the same basic body profile as the 4/5 door model).
- Equalised width of 1875mm
- Specified front aerodynamic device incorporating flat floor, apertures for radiator, brake cooling ducts, intercooler and side exits.
- Specified rear wing profile.
- Base vehicle must be freely on sale in the UK through the manufacturer's normal dealer network
- Specified 18” centre-lock wheel
- AP Racing specified package
- AP Racing specified pedal-box
- Cosworth Electronics specified package incorporating ECU, dash, data-logging and scrutineering logger.
- Common power management box, switch panels and wiring loom design
The target price for a complete car, less engine is around £100,000 depending on final components used by each team. The cost for a TOCA-BTCC Engine will be £25,000.
The following Next Generation Touring Cars are currently competing in championships:
- Toyota Avensis - First seen as a prototype in 2010 during practice for the final round at Brands Hatch. The Avensis was chosen as a demo model for the BTCC to launch the new specification ahead of the 2011 championship. Dynojet and Speedworks Motorsport are to run 1 Toyota Avensis each in 2011, driven by Frank Wrathall and Tony Hughes respectively. This car has shown top 12 potential early in the year, and Wrathall finished fourth in the first race on the new Snetterton circuit on 7 August 2011, and third place in races 2 and 3 at Knock Hill on 4th Sept 2011
- Audi A4 - Rob Austin Racing are to run 2 Audi A4s in 2011, to be built by GPR Motorsport.
- Proton Gen-2 - Welch Motorsport is reintroducing the Proton marque to the BTCC.
- Vauxhall Insignia - Thorney Motorsport has introduced the Vauxhall Insignia to the BTCC.
- Škoda Octavia - TH Motorsport will return to BTCC with Škoda Octavia vRS in 2012. This will be the first time Škoda enters BTCC.
- Honda Civic - Honda Racing Team will swap to the brand new ninth generation Honda Civic, built fully to NGTC rules, for the 2012 BTCC season. They are the first manufacturer backed team to announce their intention to run fully to the NGTC specification.
Series currently allowing cars built to NGTC rules to race:
Series planning to allow cars built to NGTC rules to race:
- Scandinavian Touring Car Championship (2012)
- ^ http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=1489&month=0&year=2010&form=search&searchterm=NGTC
- ^ http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=1826&month=0&year=2010&form=search&searchterm=NGTC
- ^ "Technical overview: NGTC". btcc.net (British Touring Car Championship). 2009-06-02. http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=1489&month=6&year=2009&form=browse&searchterm=. Retrieved 2010-03-01.
- ^ "Strong first run for NGTC engine". btcc.net (British Touring Car Championship). 2010-02-26. http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=1826. Retrieved 2010-03-01.
- ^ a b "Full NGTC Spec Announced". http://www.btcccrazy.co.uk/2010/04/12/full-ngtc-spec-announced/.
- ^ http://www.btcc.net/html/raceresults_detail.php?race_id=83&season_id=54
- ^ British Touring Car Championship (TOCA). 13 December 2010. http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=2214. Retrieved 13 December 2010.
- ^ "BTCC 2011 Season Starts 2nd-3rd April at Brands Hatch". welchmotorsport.com (Welch Motorsport). http://www.welchmotorsport.com/btcc.htm. Retrieved 15 February 2011.
- ^ http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=2342&month=0&year=2011&form=search&searchterm=insignia
- ^ http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=2510
- ^ "All new Civic for 2012". British Touring Car Championship (TOCA). 01 September 2011. http://www.btcc.net/html/generalnews_detail.php?id=2598. Retrieved 01 September 2011.
- ^ http://www.stcc.se/1080/
Classes of Auto racing Formula racing
(Open wheel car)
One-make formulaeGP2 • GP3 • Formula Abarth • Formula Asia • Formula Atlantic • Formula BMW • Formula C • FC Euro Series • Formula Continental • FF1600 • FF2000 • Formula König • Formula LGB (Swift • Hyundai) • Formula Maruti • Formula Mazda • Formula Monza • Formula Opel/Vauxhall • Formula Nissan • FPA • Formula Renault • Formula Rolon • Formula RUS • Formula Super Vee • Formula Suzuki Kei Sport • Formula Suzuki Hayabusa • Formula Toyota • Formula Vee • A1GP • Superleague Formula • Indy Lights • Auto GP • Barber Pro • Star Mazda • GPM • SRF • China Formula Grand Prix • Formula V6 Asia Karting Touring car racing Stock car racing Rallying Sports cars Grand touring Drag racing Off-road racing
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
British Touring Car Championship — BTCC redirects here. For other uses, see BTCC (disambiguation). British Touring Car Championship Category Touring cars Country or region … Wikipedia
List of Degrassi: The Next Generation characters — This is a list of characters from the Canadian teen drama series Degrassi, previously named Degrassi: The Next Generation, which airs on MuchMusic (previously CTV) in Canada, and TeenNick (formerly The N ) in the United States. These lists are in … Wikipedia
Car model — SRi redirects here. For other uses, see SRI (disambiguation). For scale models of automobiles, see Model car. Typical pillar configurations of a sedan (three box), station wagon (two box) and hatchback (two box) from the same model range, here… … Wikipedia
Lincoln Town Car — Infobox Automobile name=Lincoln Town Car manufacturer=Ford Motor Company production=1981 present predecessor=Lincoln Continental successor= class=Full size luxury car platform=Ford Panther platform layout=FR layoutThe Lincoln Town Car is a full… … Wikipedia
Nissan Z-car — Z car redirects here. For other uses, see Z car (disambiguation). Nissan Z car Class Sports cars Manufacturer Nissan Also … Wikipedia
Champ Car — Category Single seaters Country or region International Inaugural season 1979 (as CART) 2004 (as Champ Car) … Wikipedia
Autonomous car — For the wider application of artificial intelligence to automobiles, see Vehicle Automation. Junior, a robotic Volkswagen Passat parked at Stanford University. An autonomous car, also known as robotic or informally as driverless, is an autonomous … Wikipedia
Sports car — A sports car is a term used to describe a class of automobile. The exact definition varies, [cite book last = Reynolds first = Bill authorlink = coauthors = title = The Complete Book of Sports Cars publisher = Salamander Books date = 2002… … Wikipedia
Chevrolet Camaro (second generation) — This article is about the second generation Chevrolet Camaro. For general Camaro information, see Chevrolet Camaro. Chevrolet Camaro (second generation) Manufacturer Chevrolet Division of General Motors … Wikipedia
Beat Generation — The Beat Generation is a term used to describe both a group of American writers who came to prominence in the late 1950s and early 1960s, and the cultural phenomena that they wrote about and inspired (later sometimes called beatniks ): a… … Wikipedia