The abbey of Newsham or Newhouse was the first Premonstratensian house established in England, in 1143, the founder being Peter of Gousla, who held in Newsham one knight's fee of Ralf de Bayeux, and founded the abbey, and Ralf de Bayeux enfranchised that fee. It was dedicated to Saint Mary and Saint Martial. William de Romara, earl of Lincoln, and Elias d'Albini were also benefactors of the monastery.
In 1385 the canons complained of poverty and heavy burdens of hospitality, and recent storms had almost reduced the monastic buildings to ruins.
It was suppressed in 1536, and the site was incorporated into a landscape park by Capability Brown during the 18th century. Parts of the abbey including the precinct boundary are visible as earthworks, and there is a heavy scatter of building material, and grassed over foundations.
- ^ "Newsham Abbey". Houses of Premonstratensian canons. Victoria County History. http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=38040&strquery=NEWSHAM%20ABBEY. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- ^ "Newsham Abbey". Pastscape. English Heritage. http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=80495&sort=4&search=all&criteria=brocklesby&rational=q&recordsperpage=60. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
This article about a Lincolnshire building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.