New Zealand Special Service Medal
New Zealand Special Service Medal
Obverse and reverse of the medal
Awarded by New Zealand Type Service medal Eligibility Special services under Regulations that the Governor-General of New Zealand, acting on the advice of the Prime Minister or a Minister of the Crown acting for the Prime Minister, may determine. Status Currently awarded Precedence Next (higher) New Zealand campaign medals (In order of award) Next (lower) Polar Medal
New Zealand Special Service Medal (Nuclear Testing) ribbon bar
New Zealand Special Service Medal (Asian Tsunami) ribbon bar
New Zealand Special Service Medal (Erebus) ribbon bar
The New Zealand Special Service Medal (NZSSM) was established by royal warrant by Elizabeth II, Queen of New Zealand on 23 July 2002. The medal serves to recognize military service that would not otherwise be recognized by a Campaign medal.
The circular medal is made of gold plated base-metal. The obverse depicts the New Zealand Coat of Arms. The reverse, depicts a bouquet of flowers native to New Zealand. This bouquet has fern fronds and flowers of the Pohutukawa, Manuka, Kowhai, and Mount Cook Lily. Across the base of the bouquet is a scroll bearing the words "FOR SPECIAL SERVICE". This design is shared by all three medals.
New Zealand Special Service Medal (Nuclear Testing)
The NZSSM (Nuclear Testing) is a retrospective award, established 24 July 2002, presented to personnel who were part of a New Zealand Government presence at atmospheric nuclear tests in the 1950's and one in 1973. The tests recognized by this medal were at:
- Maralinga, South Australia, on 27 September, 4 October, and 22 October 1956, and 25 September 1957
- Malden Island, on 15 May, 31 May, and 19 June 1957
- Christmas Island, on 8 November 1957, 28 April, 22 August, 2 September, 11 September, or 23 September 1958
- Nevada Test Site, on 1 September 1957
- Enewetak Atoll, on 18 July 1958
- Moruroa, on 22 July, and 28 July 1973
The ribbon of this medal has black, white, red and crimson stripes at the left side with an orange center stripe and crimson, red, white and black stripes at the right side.
New Zealand Special Service Medal (Asian Tsunami)
The NZSSM (Asian Tsunami) was established on 22 December 2005 to recognize service in the aftermath of the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami. It recognizes a minimum of 7 days service from 26 December 2004 to 28 February 2005, or a minimum of 14 days from 26 December 2004 to 26 December 2005. Qualifying service is relief, recovery and reconstruction in affected countries. Countries affected where New Zealand citizens served were Bangladesh, India, Indonesia, Kenya, Madagascar, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritius, Myanmar, Seychelles, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Tanzania and Thailand.
The ribbon of this medal has eleven vertical stripes of equal width in of red, white, blue, orange, green, yellow, green, orange, blue, white, and red. These colors are representative of the national flags of the countries affected by the tsunami.
New Zealand Special Service Medal (Erebus)
The NZSSM (Erebus) was established November 2006 to recognize service in the aftermath of the crash of Air New Zealand Flight 901 on Mount Erebus, Ross Island, Antarctica on 28 November 1979. Qualifying service includes body recovery, crash investigation and victim identification. Service was performed at the crash site; during support and supply flights in and out of the crash site; at McMurdo Station; or the mortuary at Auckland University School of Medicine.
The ribbon of the medal is seven vertical stripes in dark blue, light blue, white, black, white, light blue, and dark blue.
- ^ a b c "THE NEW ZEALAND SPECIAL SERVICE MEDAL ROYAL WARRANT". New Zealand Defence Force. 28 June 2007. http://medals.nzdf.mil.nz/warrants/f5warrant.html. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- ^ a b c "New Zealand Special Service Medal (Nuclear Testing)". MEDALS AWARDED TO NEW ZEALAND MILITARY PERSONNEL. New Zealand Defence Force. http://medals.nzdf.mil.nz/category/f5/f5.html. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- ^ a b c "New Zealand Special Service Medal (Asian Tsunami)". MEDALS AWARDED TO NEW ZEALAND MILITARY PERSONNEL. New Zealand Defence Force. http://medals.nzdf.mil.nz/category/f5/f5b.html. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- ^ a b c "New Zealand Special Service Medal (Erebus)". MEDALS AWARDED TO NEW ZEALAND MILITARY PERSONNEL. New Zealand Defence Force. http://medals.nzdf.mil.nz/category/f5/f5c.html. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- ^ a b c d e f g h "NEW ZEALAND SPECIAL SERVICE MEDAL (NUCLEAR TESTING) REGULATIONS 2002". New Zealand Defence Force. 28 June 2007. http://medals.nzdf.mil.nz/warrants/f5-reg.html. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- ^ "NEW ZEALAND SPECIAL SERVICE MEDAL (ASIAN TSUNAMI) REGULATIONS 2002". New Zealand Defence Force. 28 June 2007. http://medals.nzdf.mil.nz/warrants/f5b-reg.html. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
New Zealand Special Air Service — Cap Badge of the New Zealand Special Air Service Active 7 July 1955 – present Country … Wikipedia
New Zealand Honours Order of Precedence — Contents 1 Order of Precedence 1.1 Special awards 1.2 Orders 1.3 Decorations 1.4 Medals for Ga … Wikipedia
New Zealand — This article is about the country. For other uses, see New Zealand (disambiguation). NZ redirects here. For other uses, see NZ (disambiguation). New Zealand Aotearoa … Wikipedia
Air New Zealand Flight 901 — Most of the wreckage of Flight 901 remains on the slopes of Mount Erebus. This photo, taken on the 25th anniversary in 2004, shows part of the DC 10 s upper fuselage skin with entry door and cabin windows. Part of the opposite side skin, with… … Wikipedia
Navy League of New Zealand — is a maritime organization established in 1896 in New Zealand. Contents 1 Navy League of New Zealand Branches 2 Purpose Objects 3 Activities 3.1 Navy League Can … Wikipedia
Air-New-Zealand-Flug 901 — Air New Zealand Flug 901 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Victoria Cross for New Zealand — Infobox Military Award name= Victoria Cross for New Zealand caption= Obverse of the medal, bar, and ribbon. Ribbon: 32millimetres, crimson. awarded by= New Zealand type= Military decoration eligibility= New Zealand military personnel for= ...… … Wikipedia
2006 in New Zealand — IncumbentsRegal and Vice Regal*Head of State Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of New Zealand *Governor General The Hon. Dame Silvia Cartwright PCNZM, DBE, QSO, succeeded by The Hon. Anand Satyanand, PCNZM, QSO [ [http://www.gg.govt.nz/gg/former.htm] ]… … Wikipedia
1908 in New Zealand — IncumbentsRegal and Vice Regal*Head of State Edward VII *Governor The Lord Plunket GCMG KCVO [Statistics New Zealand: New Zealand Official Yearbook, 1990 . ISSN 0078 0170 page 52] GovernmentThe 16th New Zealand Parliament, Liberal concluded but… … Wikipedia
Special Air Service — (SAS) Regiment Période 1er juillet 1941 Pays Royaume Uni Branche Armée de terre britannique Rôle Forces spéciales, contre terrorisme Fait partie de United Kingdom Special Forces (UKSF) Garnison … Wikipédia en Français