Nelson H-63 Type Two-stroke aircraft engine National origin United States Manufacturer Nelson Engine Company Major applications Hiller YROE
The Nelson H-63, known in the US military designation system as the YO-65, is an American dual ignition, four cylinder, horizontally-opposed, two stroke aircraft engine that was developed by the Nelson Engine Company for use in helicopters and light aircraft. The engine designation means horizontally-opposed 63 cubic inch displacement.
Design and development
The H-63 was designed in the late 1950s specifically to power the sort of very light single-man helicopters that the US Army was investigating at the time. Application for certification was made on 15 March 1958 and the engine was certified under the CAR 13 standard on 8 February 1960.
Engines were produced for Nelson by the Franklin Engine Company of Syracuse, New York under a production certificate. Originally the type certificate was held by the Nelson Specialty Corporation of San Leandro, California, but it was transferred to Nelson Aircraft of Irwin, Pennsylvania on 15 July 1966. Ownership of the type certificate was transferred to the present owner, Charles R. Rhoades of Naples, Florida, on 14 February 1996.
- Vertically mounted version for use in helicopters, producing 43 hp (32 kW) at 4000 rpm.
- Horizontally mounted version for use in light aircraft, producing 48 hp (36 kW) at 4400 rpm for take-off.
- Hiller YROE
- Lobet/Shafor Ganagobie
Engines on display
Data from FAA Type Certificate Data Sheet
- Type: Four cylinder, two stroke, dual ignition, vertically-mounted helicopter engine
- Bore: 2.6875 in (68 mm)
- Stroke: 2.75 in (70 mm)
- Displacement: 63 cubic inches
- Dry weight: 76 lb (34 kg) including the cooling fan, cooling shroud and clutch
- Fuel system: Nelson E-500 carburetor
- Fuel type: 80/87 avgas
- Oil system: premixed oil in fuel, SAE 30 outboard motor oil mixed at 16:1 fuel to oil
- Cooling system: fan forced air
- Reduction gear: none
- Power output: 43 hp (32 kW) at 4000 rpm
- Compression ratio: 8:1
- ^ a b c d e f g Federal Aviation Administration (February 1996). "Aircraft Type Certificate Data Sheet 4E1". http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/721452f52e1c7b0c85256784006b187f/$FILE/ATTVMM9O/4e1.pdf. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- ^ a b Experimental Aircraft Association (2011). "Lobet/Shafor Ganagobie". http://museum.eaa.org/collection/aircraft/Lobet-Shafor%20Ganagobie.asp. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Nelson Aircraft Aircraft Engines PeopleWilliam Hawley Bowlus · Ted Nelson Lists relating to aviation General Military Accidents/incidents Records
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Nelson — may refer to: Contents 1 People 2 Geography 2.1 Australia 2.2 … Wikipedia
Nelson F.C. — Nelson Full name Nelson Football Club Nickname(s) The Admirals, Blues Founded 1881 … Wikipedia
Nelson bc — Nelson (Colombie Britannique) Pour les articles homonymes, voir Nelson. Nelson, Colombie Britannique Nelson Administration … Wikipédia en Français
Nelson — steht für: Nelson (Familienname), der Familienname Nelson mit Namensträgern Nelson (Vorname), der männliche Vorname Nelson mit Namensträgern Air Nelson, neuseeländische Fluggesellschaft HMS Nelson, ein Schiffsname der britischen Marine HMS Lord… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Nelson — Nelson, WI U.S. village in Wisconsin Population (2000): 395 Housing Units (2000): 201 Land area (2000): 1.462862 sq. miles (3.788796 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.013039 sq. miles (0.033772 sq. km) Total area (2000): 1.475901 sq. miles (3.822568… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Nelson — Nelson, George Nelson, Horatio, vizconde de ► Río de Canadá, en la prov. de Manitoba. Nace en el lago Winnipeg y desemboca en la bahía de Hudson; 650 km. * * * (as used in expressions) Aldrich, Nelson W(ilmarth) Algren, Nelson Nelson Ahlgren… … Enciclopedia Universal
Nelson H-44 — Type Two stroke aircraft engine National origin United States Manufacturer Nelson Engine Company Designed by Ted Nelson Major applications Bowlus/Nelson Dragonfly Produced … Wikipedia
NELSON (H.) — NELSON HORATIO NELSON vicomte (1758 1805) amiral anglais Entré dans la marine à l’âge de douze ans, Horatio Nelson prend part à la guerre d’Amérique, puis il est affecté en 1793 à l’escadre de l’amiral Hood engagée contre la France en… … Encyclopédie Universelle
Nelson Fu — (Chinese name Fu Lianzhang 傅连璋), 1894 1968, is an interesting if not important figure in the Chinese Civil War and Revolution, probably the only western trained doctor to have made the Long March and later, in Beijing, a Vice Minister of Public… … Wikipedia
Nelson — Nelson1 [nel′sən] n. [< the surname Nelson < ME Nel (see NEAL) + son, SON] a masculine name Nelson2 [nel′sən] Horatio Viscount Nelson 1758 1805; Eng. admiral Nelson3 [nel′sən] [so named by Sir T. Button on an expedition into Hudson Bay… … English World dictionary