NOTE (India) stands for National Organisation for Tobacco Eradication
NOTE (India) is a National federation of 20 Non-Governmental Organisations that came together during a meeting in Goa, India in 1992 under the leadership of Dr Sharad Vaidya, who was the National Chairman from 1992 until his death in 2000. Currently it is chaired by Dr Shekhar Salkar.
NOTE has Chapters in 7 states namely Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Orissa, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and Goa with headquarters in Goa. There are collaborating institutions and individuals in all States.
Aims and Objects
1. Networking and co-ordinating campaigns of various institutions and NGOs. 2. Exerting pressure on the Government for policy changes 3. Exposing and attacking the tobacco companies 4. Research into various aspects of campaigns and policies at national level. 5. Interaction with international bodies like WHO, UICC, World Bank, American Cancer Society etc. for mobilising international opinion towards a tobacco-free world.
NOTE's campaign is built on solid information about tobacco and its effects on health. NOTE analyses and assesses public policy, publications, journals, official reports, medical research and the media. It makes this information available to members and collaborators.
NOTE produces a range of campaigning materials including video cassettes, audio cassettes, flip charts, booklets, posters and stickers. Through its activities NOTE India was able to bring about a change in the perception about tobacco in the general population and in 1997 the first anti-tobacco law was passed in Goa.The Goa Prohibition of Smoking and Spitting Act, 1997 (Goa Act 5 of 1999) Over the next 10 years the morbidity and mortality from tobacco related diseases reduced significantly.
Member Organisations of NOTE (India)
1. Goa Cancer Society, Goa, NOTE (India) 2. Cancer Care Trust and Research Foundation, Indore 3. WHO Collaborating Center for Oral Cancer, Mumbai 4. Regional Cancer Center, Thiruvanthapuram 5. Consumer Education and Research Center, Ahmedabad 6. Tambakhu Mukti Andolan, Cuttack 7. NOTE India , Karnataka Chapter, Bangalore Institute of Oncology, Bangalore 8. Indian Dental Association Indore Branch 9. NOTE India, Uttar Pradesh Chapter, Lucknow 10. NOTE India, Andhra Pradesh Chapter, Hyderabad 11. Center for Labour Education and Social Research, Bilaspur, Madhya Pradesh. 12. P.N. Institute of Medical Sciences, Himmatnagar, Gujarat 13. Dr. B. Barooah Cancer Institute, Guwahati, Assam 14. Non-Smokers Association, Ranchi, Bihar 15. Jawaharlal Nehru Cancer Hospital, & Research Center, Bhopal 16. Voluntary Health Association of India, New Delhi 17. M.E.S. College, Zuarinagar, Vasco-da-Gama, Goa 18. NOTE India, Bihar Chapter, Patna
- ^ Vaidya SG, Naik UD and Vaidya JS. Effect of sports sponsorship by tobacco companies on children's experimentation with tobacco. BMJ. 1996 Aug 17;313(7054):400.
- ^ Vaidya SG, Vaidya JS, Tobacco sponsorship of Formula One motor racing. Lancet. 1998 Feb 7;351(9100):452.
- ^ Vaidya JS, Vaidya SG, The tobacco settlement. N Engl J Med. 1998 Mar 5;338(10):690-1.
- ^ Vaidya SG, Vaidya JS, Naik UD. Sports sponsorship by cigarette companies influences the adolescent children's mind and helps initiate smoking: results of a national study in India. J Indian Med Assoc. 1999 Sep;97(9):354-6, 359.
- ^ The Goa Prohibition of Smoking and Spitting Act, 1997 (Goa Act 5 of 1999)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
India — <p></p> <p></p> Introduction ::India <p></p> Background: <p></p> The Indus Valley civilization, one of the world s oldest, flourished during the 3rd and 2nd millennia B.C. and extended into… … The World Factbook
India — • The peninsula is separated on the north from Tibet and Central Asia by the Himalaya, Hindu Kush, and Karakoram mountains, and some lower ranges divide it from Afghanistan and Baluchistan Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006. India … Catholic encyclopedia
India House — was an informal Indian nationalist organisation based in London between 1905 and 1910.Harvnb|Popplewell|1995|p= 125] With the patronage of Shyamji Krishna Varma, its home in a student residence in Highgate, North London was launched to promote… … Wikipedia
India and the Non-Aligned Movement — India played an important role in the multilateral movements of colonies and newly independent countries that developed into the Non Aligned Movement. Origin of Non alignment movementNonalignment had its origins in India s colonial experience and … Wikipedia
Note Out — release poster Directed by Kutty Naduvil Produced by Joseph George … Wikipedia
India Hook — India Hook, SC U.S. Census Designated Place in South Carolina Population (2000): 1614 Housing Units (2000): 702 Land area (2000): 2.772978 sq. miles (7.181980 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.897647 sq. miles (2.324895 sq. km) Total area (2000):… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
India Hook, SC — U.S. Census Designated Place in South Carolina Population (2000): 1614 Housing Units (2000): 702 Land area (2000): 2.772978 sq. miles (7.181980 sq. km) Water area (2000): 0.897647 sq. miles (2.324895 sq. km) Total area (2000): 3.670625 sq. miles… … StarDict's U.S. Gazetteer Places
Note Issuance Facility — (NIF) is an underwriting agreement/arrangement in the Eurocurrency market under which borrowers place short/medium term (one to six months) notes via a syndicate of prime/commercial banks, and the borrowers issue is backed by the commitment of… … Wikipedia
India — /in dee euh/, n. 1. Hindi, Bharat. a republic in S Asia: a union comprising 25 states and 7 union territories; formerly a British colony; gained independence Aug. 15, 1947; became a republic within the Commonwealth of Nations Jan. 26, 1950.… … Universalium
India's First War of Independence (term) — The First War of Indian Independence is a term sometimes used, mainly in India to describe the Indian Rebellion of 1857, which has been described variously as uprising , revolt and mutiny . [cite news title = Indians mark revolt anniversary… … Wikipedia