Nodular lymphocyte predominant Hodgkin's lymphoma
Nodular lymphocyte predominant Hodgkin's lymphoma Classification and external resources
Micrograph of a lymph node biopsy showing nodular lymphocyte predominant Hodgkin lymphoma, with the Reed-Sternberg cell variant that has a popcorn-shaped nucleus (left-bottom of image). H&E stain.
ICD-10 C81.7 ICD-9 201.9 ICD-O: M9659/3
It is no longer classified as a form of classic Hodgkin's lymphoma (HL). This is because the Reed-Sternberg Cell (RSC) variants (popcorn cells) that characterize this form of the disease invariably express B lymphocyte markers such as CD20 (thus making NLPHL an unusual form of B cell lymphoma), and that (unlike classic HL) NLPHL may progress to diffuse large B cell lymphoma.
There are small but clear differences in prognosis between the various forms. Lymphocyte predominant HL is an uncommon subtype composed of vague nodules of numerous reactive lymphocytes admixed with large popcorn-shaped RSC. Unlike classic RSC, the non-classic popcorn-shaped RS cells of NLPHL are CD15 and CD30 negative while positive for the B cell marker CD20. The anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody Rituximab has been used in lymphocyte predominant Hodgkin's lymphoma with encouraging results.
- Progressive transformation of germinal centers
- ^ Renné C, Martín-Subero JI, Hansmann ML, Siebert R (August 2005). "Molecular Cytogenetic Analyses of Immunoglobulin Loci in Nodular Lymphocyte Predominant Hodgkin's Lymphoma Reveal a Recurrent IGH-BCL6 Juxtaposition". J Mol Diagn 7 (3): 352–6. doi:10.1016/S1525-1578(10)60564-8. PMC 1867541. PMID 16049307. http://jmd.amjpathol.org/cgi/pmidlookup?view=long&pmid=16049307.
- ^ Achten R, Verhoef G, De Wolf-Peeters C (December 2003). "The importance of follow-up biopsies of clinically suspicious lymphadenopathy in nodular lymphocyte predominant Hodgkin's lymphoma". Haematologica 88 (12): 1431–2. PMID 14688002. http://www.haematologica.org/cgi/pmidlookup?view=long&pmid=14688002.
- ^ Saini KS, Azim HA Jr, Cocorocchio E, Vanazzi A, Saini ML, Raviele PR, Pruneri G, Peccatori FA (2011). "Rituximab in Hodgkin lymphoma: Is the target always a hit?". Cancer Treat Rev 37 (5): 385–90. doi:10.1016/j.ctrv.2010.11.005. PMID 21183282.
- ^ Wlodarska I, Stul M, De Wolf-Peeters C, Hagemeijer A (August 2004). "Heterogeneity of BCL6 rearrangements in nodular lymphocyte predominant Hodgkin's lymphoma". Haematologica 89 (8): 965–72. PMID 15339680. http://www.haematologica.org/cgi/pmidlookup?view=long&pmid=15339680.
- ^ Wlodarska I, Nooyen P, Maes B, et al. (January 2003). "Frequent occurrence of BCL6 rearrangements in nodular lymphocyte predominance Hodgkin lymphoma but not in classical Hodgkin lymphoma". Blood 101 (2): 706–10. doi:10.1182/blood-2002-05-1592. PMID 12393409. http://www.bloodjournal.org/cgi/pmidlookup?view=long&pmid=12393409.
Hematological malignancy/leukemia histology (ICD-O 9590–9989, C81–C96, 200–208)
Lymphoid/Lymphoproliferative, Lymphomas/Lymphoid leukemias (9590–9739, 9800–9839)By development/
markerALL (Precursor B acute lymphoblastic leukemia/lymphoma)CD5+CD22+see immunoproliferative immunoglobulin disordersBy infectionBy development/
CD30-: Non-mycosis fungoides CD30− cutaneous large T-cell lymphoma · Pleomorphic T-cell lymphoma · Lymphomatoid papulosis type BCD30+: CD30+ cutaneous T-cell lymphoma · Secondary cutaneous CD30+ large cell lymphoma · Lymphomatoid papulosis type AOther peripheralBy infectionHTLV-1 (Adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma)NK cell/
(most CD56)Aggressive NK-cell leukemia · Blastic NK cell lymphomaT or NKLymphoid+myeloid
Cutaneous lymphoid hyperplasiaCutaneous lymphoid hyperplasia with bandlike and perivascular patterns · Cutaneous lymphoid hyperplasia with nodular pattern · Jessner lymphocytic infiltrate of the skin
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Nodular lymphocyte-predominant Hodgkin lymphoma — is a rare type of Hodgkin lymphoma, which is a cancer of the immune system. It is marked by the presence of a type of cell called a popcorn cell, which is different from the typical Reed Sternberg cell found in classical Hodgkin lymphoma. This… … Wikipedia
Hodgkin's lymphoma — Hodgkin lymphoma Classification and external resources Micrograph showing Hodgkin s lymphoma (Field stain). ICD 10 C … Wikipedia
Nodular sclerosis — Classification and external resources ICD 10 C81.1 ICD 9 201.5 … Wikipedia
Lymphoma — This article is about lymphoma in humans. For the disease in dogs, cats, and ferrets, see lymphoma in animals. Lymphoma Classification and external resources Follicular lymphoma replacing a lymph node … Wikipedia
B-cell lymphoma — Classification and external resources Micrograph showing a large B cell lymphoma. Field stain. ICD 10 C … Wikipedia
Non-Hodgkin lymphoma — Non Hodgkin Lymphomas Classification and external resources Micrograph of mantle cell lymphoma, a type of non Hodgkin lymphoma. Terminal ileum. H E stain … Wikipedia
Primary central nervous system lymphoma — Classification and external resources Brain magnetic resonance imaging showing primary central nervous system B cell non Hodgkin lymphoma of the sella … Wikipedia
Mantle cell lymphoma — Classification and external resources Micrograph showing mantle cell lymphoma (bottom of image) in a biopsy of the terminal ileum. H E stain … Wikipedia
Follicular lymphoma — Classification and external resources Follicular lymphoma replacing a lymph node ICD 10 C … Wikipedia
Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma — Classification and external resources Micrograph of a diffuse large B cell lymphoma. Field stain. ICD O … Wikipedia