The cover of NHL 12, featuring Steven Stamkos
Developer(s) EA Canada Publisher(s) EA Sports Series NHL series Platform(s) Release date(s) Genre(s) Sports (ice hockey) Mode(s) Single-player, Multiplayer, Online multiplayer Rating(s)
- ESRB: E10+
- PEGI: 16
NHL 12 is an ice hockey video game developed by EA Canada and published by EA Sports. The game was released between September 8–13, 2011, in Australia, New Zealand, Europe, and North America. The game was featured in the 2011 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3). Steven Stamkos was announced as the game's cover athlete on June 22, 2011, at the NHL Awards Show in Las Vegas, Nevada. For the first time since NHL 2004, the cover athlete (Stamkos) is the same for all of the regions that NHL 12 was released in. The game notably includes more interactive goalies (i.e. players can have real contact with the goalies and vice versa, and the goalies and skaters may fight each other), better physics engine, improved Be a Pro mode, and the ability to play the 2011 NHL Winter Classic.
Along with several other new EA Sports titles, NHL 12 was made available three days prior the official release dates to purchasers of the EA Sports Season Ticket, a new digital program allowing users with a PlayStation 3 and/or an Xbox 360 to download and test the full version of new EA Sports titles for a three-day trial period by paying an annual fee of $24.99 or 2,000 Microsoft points. Users who pre-ordered the retail version of the game may have received a code for a goalie boost pack, which improves certain parts of the player's goalie in the Be a Pro mode.
- Players have the ability to hit the goalies and vice versa.
- Goalies are, for the first time with the current game engine that was introduced in NHL 07, able to fight players and each other.
- The Be a Pro mode is more authentic. New additions include the ability to start in the CHL and play there for up to four seasons, play through 18 career levels, be drafted in the NHL Entry Draft, get tasks from the coach, simulate games to the player's next shift, and break historic records.
- Improved physics allow for more realistic hits with helmets coming off, players being hit into the bench, knucklepuck shots, shattered glass, and improved puck movements.
- Players don't as easily lose total balance if they're hit as with the previous games. For example, a player might use their hands or stumble to his knees to regain balance if hit.
- In the Be a GM mode, players are able to use retired jerseys. For this reason, certain jersey numbers may be excluded to the players. The Be a GM mode is more authentic with things like salaries designed for rookie players, and more accurate injuries.
- Players are able to play the 2011 NHL Winter Classic at Pittsburgh's Heinz Field with fans donning Winter Classic gear.
- Players are able to create female hockey players in the game, possibly to attract female gamers to NHL 12. 
- An all-new feature, the Action Tracker, tracks games' every occurrence and allows players to intervene in simulated games when needed.
- Simulated statistics and results are completely dependent on the players' playing style and ratings.
- Improved trading logic makes it much more difficult to trade for elite players in the Be a GM mode.
- For the first time ever, NHL legends are included in the game and are fully functional in any modes. The legends are Ray Bourque, Chris Chelios, Steve Yzerman, Patrick Roy, Jeremy Roenick, Gordie Howe, Mario Lemieux, Börje Salming and Wayne Gretzky. A "Legends" team is included in the game as part of the legends feature. However, in order to be used in the Be a Pro mode, they have to be unlocked by breaking the milestones that they set during their careers.
- The presentation has been revamped, as explained in interviews of players' improved appearance, improving the player's personality on the ice. Over 100 new faces have been put in place into the create player feature, including 2 female faces. A new graphical user interface (GUI) is included.
Leagues and teams
NHL 12 includes seven professional leagues: the National Hockey League (NHL), American Hockey League (AHL), Czech Extraliga, SM-liiga, Deutsche Eishockey Liga (DEL), Elitserien (SEL), and National League A (NLA). The game also includes the Canadian Hockey League, which comprises the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL), Ontario Hockey League (OHL), and Western Hockey League (WHL). Although the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL) is ranked as the top professional European league, it has never been included in the NHL series (though the former Russian Superleague was included in NHL 09), nor is it included in NHL 12. In the CHL, the game also includes the teams in the 2008 CHL Top Prospects Game, "Team White" and "Team Red". As part of the new legends feature, there is a "Legends" team that statistically has 100% in both offense, defence, as well as goaltending. The game also includes national teams, but because of lacking rights to the IIHF license, official jerseys for the national teams are not used. This also means that no international tournaments are included in the game.
Among the NHL teams, the game includes the new Winnipeg Jets team, originally the Atlanta Thrashers, therefore effectively replacing the Atlanta Thrashers team in the game. The Växjö Lakers Hockey team replaces Södertälje SK in the Elitserien league, as the Växjö Lakers Hockey team managed to qualify for the 2011–12 Elitserien season at the expense of Södertälje SK. EHC München, promoted to the DEL in 2010, replaces the Kassel Huskies. The Chilliwack Bruins of the WHL have been relocated to Victoria, British Columbia for the start of the 2011–12 WHL season and are therefore replaced by the Victoria Royals, the name of the relocated franchise. The Montreal Junior Hockey Club in the QMJHL has been relocated to Blainville-Boisbriand to become the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada, which therefore replaces the Montreal Junior Hockey Club.
The demo of NHL 12 was released on August 23, 2011, at the Xbox Live Marketplace and the PlayStation Store (PSN Store). In Europe the demo at the PSN Store was released the following day. The demo includes three modes: the Play Now and Hockey Ultimate Team (HUT) modes are included from the NHL 11 demo, but the new addition in the NHL 12 demo is the Be a Pro mode, which includes the new Action Tracker. The Play Now mode allows players to simulate a 2011 Stanley Cup Finals game between the Vancouver Canucks and the Boston Bruins to the third period and play from there. By trying the HUT mode, players may win two packs of cards, but another pack may be earned if the player invites a friend to play the NHL 12 demo.
Song title Artist Occult Enemies Against Me! I'm Alive Anthrax Standing on the Edge of the Noise Beady Eye Mony Mony Billy Idol That Fire Black Tide Farewell Blackguard The Sound of Winter Bush I Wish I Could Steal A Sunset Death Letters Hang 'Em High Dropkick Murphys Don't Bring Me Down Electric Light Orchestra You've Got Another Thing Comin' Judas Priest April Fool Manchester Orchestra Busy Bein' Born Middle Class Rut Whatever You Got, I’m Against It Murderdolls
Reception Aggregate scores Aggregator Score GameRankings 89% Metacritic 87% Review scores Publication Score GameTrailers 9.2/10 IGN 8.5/10
Like most recent games in the series, NHL 12 has received very positive reviews. As of September 12, 2011, Metacritic has an aggregated review score of 87/100, while GameRankings' aggregated score for the game is 89/100. GameTrailers gave the game a 9.2/10, stating that the gameplay "just feels more alive," but were somewhat frustrated that they "did manage to find a technique to score a little too often," and also noted that the game "looks almost identical to last year's effort." They praised the EA Sports developers however, describing them as a team unwilling to believe that an "amazing" product is enough. The "Be A Legend" mode, however, did not get much of the same praise; Gametrailers said that the mode "feels like a missed opportunity."
PlayStation Universe (PSU) gave the game a 9.0/10, while their average user score is 8.0/10. Their reviewer, Adam Dolge, described it as "yet another terrific hockey game, and well worth the attention of any puck fan." They mainly praised the gameplay improvements, noting the A.I. and the physics engine, which has been enhanced as well. They also praised the revamped presentation of the game. However, PSU agreed with Gametrailers that the new "Be a Legend" mode is not well thought-out, and also criticized the Be a Pro camera angle. They also believe that the Be a GM mode needs to be revamped.
- ^ a b c "EA SPORTS Unveils New Features for NHL 12". Business Wire. 2011-05-24. http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110524006767/en/EA-SPORTS-Unveils-Features-NHL-12.
- ^ "Wayne Gretzky, Ray Bourque and Chris Chelios skate into EA Sports NHL 12". EA Press. http://www.ea-anz-press.com/release.asp?i=1555. Retrieved 2011-09-03.
- ^ Tom Hopkins (2011-08-02). "Play FIFA 12, Madden NFL 12 Early With EA Sports Season Ticket". nowgamer.com. Imagine Publishing Ltd. http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1001232/play_fifa_12_madden_nfl_12_early_with_ea_sports_season_ticket.html.
- ^ "EA SPORTS Season Ticket Launches Today". Business Wire. 2011-08-02. http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110802005793/en/EA-SPORTS-Season-Ticket-Launches-Today. Retrieved 2011-09-03.
- ^ Novell Thomas (2011-07-13). "NHL 12 Producer Blog: Signature Traits". Operation Sports. http://www.operationsports.com/features/1306/nhl-12-producer-blog-signature-traits/. Retrieved 2011-08-25.
- ^ a b c NHL 12 Hockey Whiteboard. EA Sports.
- ^ EA Sports’ NHL ’12 bits: First video preview, release date set at September 13. ProHockeyTalk. 2011-05-26.
- ^ "NHL 2 Be a Pro Revamped". EA Sports. http://www.ea.com/nhl/videos/nhl-12-be-a-pro-revamped. Retrieved 2011-07-21.
- ^ 'NHL 12' adds goalie fights, shattered glass. EA Sports. 2011-05-26.
- ^ "Full Contact Physics Engine". EA Sports. http://www.ea.com/nhl/1/full-contact-physics-engine. Retrieved 2011-07-21.
- ^ a b c d "Be a GM Mode". EA Sports. http://www.ea.com/nhl/1/be-a-gm-mode. Retrieved 2011-08-05.
- ^ http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/How-a-14-year-old-girl-made-NHL-video-game-histo?urn=nhl-wp12363
- ^ "NHL 12 - Legends Unveil Trailer". GameSpot. 2011-08-12. http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/sports/nhl-12/video/6328671/nhl-12--legends-unveil-trailer.
- ^ Ben Ross (2011-08-03). "NHL 12 – Presentation Blog". EA Sports. http://www.ea.com/nhl/blog/presentation-blog. Retrieved 2011-08-25.
- ^ "European Hockey League Rankings". The Copper & Blue. 2010-03-11. http://www.coppernblue.com/2010/3/11/1319782/european-hockey-league-rankings. Retrieved 2011-06-25.
- ^ "NHL 12: Winnipeg hockey team included in latest NHL title". Game Bandits. 2011-06-03. http://www.gamebandits.com/news/nhl-12-winnipeg-hockey-team-included-in-latest-nhl-title-06572/. Retrieved 2011-06-25.
- ^ Ross McGrath (2011-08-24). "‘Heads-Up’ Game Store Update 24th August 2011". SCEE. http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/08/24/heads-up-game-store-update-24th-august-2011/. Retrieved 2011-08-24.
- ^ Chase Becotte (2011-08-11). "NHL 12 Demo Announcement Blog". Operation Sports. http://www.operationsports.com/features/1315/nhl-12-demo-announcement-blog/. Retrieved 2011-08-11.
- ^ "NHL®12 Soundtrack – Continuing the Authentic NHL Arena Experience". EA Sports. 2011-08-16. http://www.ea.com/nhl/blog/nhl-12-soundtrack. Retrieved 2011-08-20.
- ^ a b "NHL 12 - GameRankings". GameRankings. http://www.gamerankings.com/ps3/627288-nhl-12/index.html. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- ^ a b "NHL 12 Reviews". Metacritic. http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-3/nhl-12. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- ^ a b "NHL 12 Gametrailers Review". GameTrailers. http://www.gametrailers.com/gamereview.php?id=15097. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- ^ "NHL 12 Review – PlayStation Universe". PlayStation Universe. 2011-09-12. http://www.psu.com/NHL-12-Review--a012874-p0.php. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
NHL series 1990s 2000s 2010s
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
NHL 11 — The North American cover of NHL 11, featuring Jonathan Toews. Developer(s) EA Canada … Wikipedia
NHL 2K — is a series of hockey games by 2K Sports for the Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox, iPhone, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and the Wii. Its main competitor is EA Sports NHL video games. The game is officially licensed from the National… … Wikipedia
NHL 09 — Cover of NHL 09, featuring Dion Phaneuf Developer(s) EA Canada (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360) HB Studios (Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 2) … Wikipedia
NHL 09 — Разработчик … Википедия
NHL 10 — The cover of NHL 10 featuring Patrick Kane Developer(s) EA Canada Publisher(s) … Wikipedia
NHL 13 — Обложка игры для PS3 Разработчик EA Canada Издатели … Википедия
NHL '94 — Cover art Developer(s) EA Canada and High Score Productions (SCD, SNES, MD) Park Place Productions (DOS) … Wikipedia
NHL '99 — NHL (série) NHL est une série de jeux vidéo de hockey sur glace développée par EA Sports depuis 1991. La série est sous la licence de la Ligue nationale de hockey. Série Titre Année Plate formes NHL Hockey 1991 Mega Drive/Genesis NHLPA Hockey 93… … Wikipédia en Français
NHL 06 — North American cover art for PS2 Pictured: Vincent Lecavalier Developer(s) EA Canada Publisher(s) … Wikipedia
NHL 07 — Alexander Ovechkin on the cover of NHL 07 Developer(s) EA Canada (Xbox 360 and PSP) EA Montreal (PS2, Xbox, PC) Publisher … Wikipedia