The cover of NHL 10 featuring Patrick Kane
Developer(s) EA Canada Publisher(s) EA Sports Series NHL series Platform(s) PlayStation 3
Release date(s) Genre(s) Sports (ice hockey) Mode(s) Single-player
Multiplayer (online, local)
Rating(s) ESRB: E10+ Media/distribution Blu-ray Disc
NHL 10 is a video game in the NHL series developed and released by EA Canada and published by EA Sports, and is the 19th game in the series. The game debuted at Hockey Fest '09, a three-day interactive festival celebrating the sport of hockey and the Los Angeles Kings, which took place in downtown Los Angeles from August 28 to 30.
Its tagline is "Good Old Hockey," with television ads featuring the Stompin' Tom Connors favourite "The Hockey Song" (also known as "The Good Old Hockey Game"). It is the first game in the NHL series by EA Sports to not get a PC release and the first since NHL 2000 to not get a PlayStation 2 release. On October 1st, 2011, all online services for NHL 10 will be discontinued.
- Battle on the Boards: A new board play physics engine lets players shield the puck along the boards, kick-pass it to teammates, or pin an opponent.
- Intimidation Tactics: Players are able to fore-check defenders, pressure the puck, and finish checks to force your opposing skaters into making mistakes. Engaging the opposing team's star players will now instigate players and fans. Skaters who frequently harass star players will become antagonized by the opposing crowd and players.
- Post-Whistle Action: Players are able to finish checks, retaliate for late shots on goal, draw penalties, and pick fights after the referee blows the whistle.
- New First Person Fighting Engine: Players controlling the team's enforcer are able to engage instigators in a new first person fighting simulator.
- Spectacular Goals: Introducing spectacular new ways to score, like players one-timing loose pucks, stick-handling and shooting from their knees, batting pucks out of the air, and lifting a leg to fake a shot on goal.
- New Precision Passing: A new 360° precision passing mechanic delivers control over the speed and direction of passes so players can bank passes off the boards or play the puck into space for teammates to skate on to it. Players take poor passes off their skates and kick the puck to their sticks.
- Improved Goalie Intelligence: Goaltenders will be able to position themselves more intelligently, react to shots more quickly, and recover from saves faster. NHL 10 features 250 new goalie animations, including swatting pucks out of the air, second and third saves, and desperation lunges.
- Interactive Atmosphere: Animations of fans within in the game have been rendered to appear more life-like and detailed. Playoff games will feature towel-waving fans and greater reactions from the crowds.
- Be A GM Mode: Players will now be able to control a team as if they were a general manager in the "Be A GM" mode. This feature enables players to build their own dynasty team through drafting, trading, and signing skaters. A player's success will be measured by the number of positive influences they have on their franchise.
- Battle for the Cup Mode: This mode allows players to choose two opposing teams and pit them against each other in the Stanley Cup Final. Players have the option to play a 1, 3, 5, or 7 game elimination round. The winning team will be presented with the Stanley Cup.
Patrick Kane of the Chicago Blackhawks is the cover athlete and official spokesman for NHL 10. Other cover athletes include Mikko Koivu for Finland, Mikkel Bødker for Denmark, Mark Streit for Switzerland, and Nicklas Bäckström for Sweden.
EA Sports officially announced NHL 10's soundtrack in July 2009. It became available for purchase on July 31, 2009 in the form of an iMix on iTunes, containing all tracks that have been given official release. As such, tracks such as "Raccoon Eyes" are not included in the iMix due to not yet being released by their respective artists.
NHL 2010 Soundtrack Artist Song Alexisonfire "Young Cardinals" Cancer Bats "Deathsmarch" CKY "Hellions on Parade" Disco Ensemble "Golden Years" Dragonforce "Heroes of Our Time" Eagles of Death Metal "Anything 'Cept the Truth" Earl Greyhound "Oye Vaya" Green Day "Know Your Enemy" Megadeth "Peace Sells" MeTalkPretty "Wake Up! Wake Up!" Ministry "Keys to the City" MxPx "Kids in America (Kim Wilde Cover)" Nickelback "Burn It to the Ground" Papa Roach "Into the Light" Priestess "Raccoon Eyes" Rancid "The Bravest Kids" Scorpions "Rock You Like a Hurricane" Thousand Foot Krutch "Fire It Up"
A demo was released on the Xbox Live Marketplace for gold and silver subscribers on August 20, 2009.  Since August 27, it has been available to download for silver members and for the at the PlayStation Network. Like last year, the demo includes tutorials for shooting, deking, defensive moves, new additions like board play, and fighting, all the while playing as your created player. Once the tutorial is completed (or exited), the user then has access to a single 3rd period game between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Detroit Red Wings, symbolizing the 2009 Stanley Cup Final, where the player may choose which team to play as. Also, the user may play the Be A Pro NHL Entry Draft mode, in which the user plays a single 3rd period in a prospects game. After, they are rated on their performance and selected in the draft by an NHL team.
Reviews Review scores Publication Score 1UP.com A-(Xbox 360 & PS3) Game Informer 9.25/10 (Xbox 360, PS3) GameSpot 8.5 (Xbox 360,PS3) GameZone 9.0/10 (Xbox 360, PS3) IGN 8.7/10
- ^ NHL 10 to Debut at Hockey Fest
- ^ http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates
- ^ a b c d e f g h "NHL 10". Game Informer (195): pp. 71. July 2009.
- ^ Ryan, Shannon (2009-05-29). "In downtime, Chicago Blackhawks play hard -- at video games". Chicago Tribune. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/chi-28-hawks-bitsmay28,0,5939987.story. Retrieved 2009-06-05.
- ^ Sarkar, Samit (2009-07-13). "Watch the NHL 10 international cover athletes do their thing". destructoid.com. http://www.destructoid.com/watch-the-nhl-10-international-cover-athletes-do-their-thing-139683.phtml. Retrieved 2009-08-03.
- ^ Winfrey, Lorenzo (2009-07-27). "EA Announces Fall Music Line Up for Sports Franchises". ZoKnowsGaming.com. http://zoknowsgaming.com/2009/07/27/soundsofeasports2010/. Retrieved 2009-07-27.
- ^ "The Official NHL 10 Soundtrack". EA Sports. http://www.ea.com/music/the-official-nhl-10-soundtrack. Retrieved 2009-07-27.
- ^ a b "NHL 10 Demo". EASportsWorld. http://nhl.easports.com/news.action?id=News%20Demo%20Now%20Available&category=News. Retrieved 2009-08-20.
- ^ http://www.gamerankings.com/xbox360/959973-nhl-10/index.html
- ^ http://www.gamerankings.com/ps3/959972-nhl-10/index.html
NHL series 1990s 2000s 2010s EA Sports games released in 2009
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
NHL 11 — The North American cover of NHL 11, featuring Jonathan Toews. Developer(s) EA Canada … Wikipedia
NHL 12 — The cover of NHL 12, featuring Steven Stamkos Developer(s) EA Canada Publisher(s) … Wikipedia
NHL 2K — is a series of hockey games by 2K Sports for the Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, Nintendo GameCube, Xbox, iPhone, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and the Wii. Its main competitor is EA Sports NHL video games. The game is officially licensed from the National… … Wikipedia
NHL 09 — Cover of NHL 09, featuring Dion Phaneuf Developer(s) EA Canada (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360) HB Studios (Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 2) … Wikipedia
NHL 09 — Разработчик … Википедия
NHL 13 — Обложка игры для PS3 Разработчик EA Canada Издатели … Википедия
NHL '94 — Cover art Developer(s) EA Canada and High Score Productions (SCD, SNES, MD) Park Place Productions (DOS) … Wikipedia
NHL '99 — NHL (série) NHL est une série de jeux vidéo de hockey sur glace développée par EA Sports depuis 1991. La série est sous la licence de la Ligue nationale de hockey. Série Titre Année Plate formes NHL Hockey 1991 Mega Drive/Genesis NHLPA Hockey 93… … Wikipédia en Français
NHL 06 — North American cover art for PS2 Pictured: Vincent Lecavalier Developer(s) EA Canada Publisher(s) … Wikipedia
NHL 07 — Alexander Ovechkin on the cover of NHL 07 Developer(s) EA Canada (Xbox 360 and PSP) EA Montreal (PS2, Xbox, PC) Publisher … Wikipedia