National Ganga River Basin Authority
National Ganga River Basin Authority (NGRBA) is a financing, planning, implementing, monitoring and coordinating authority for the Ganges River, functioning under the Ministry of Environment of India. The mission of the organization is to safeguard the drainage basin which feeds water into the Ganges by protecting it from pollution or overuse.
It was established by the Central Government of India, on 20th February 2009 under Section 3(3) of the Environment Protection Act, 1986, which also declared Ganges as the "National River" of India.
The Prime Minister the chair of the Authority. Other members include the cabinet ministers who include the Ganges among their direct concerns and the chief ministers of states through which the Ganges River flows.
The first meeting of the National Ganga River Basin Authority was held on 5th October, 2009..
Members of the NGRBA
There are total of 24 members of the NGRBA. 15 out of 24 come from the government sectors whereas the remaining 9 come from the NGO sector.
Government members of the Committee
Members belonging to the government sector are as follows:
- Prime Minister of India, chair
- Minister of Environment and Forests (Union Minister)
- Minister of Finance
- Minister of Urban Development
- Minister of Water Resources
- Minister of Power
- Minister of Sciences and Technology
- Deputy Chairm of the Planning Commission
- Chief Minister of Uttarakhand
- Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh
- Chief Minster of Bihar
- Chief Minister of Jharkhand
- Chief Minister of West Bengal
- Ministry Of Environment and Forests (state minister)
- Ministry Of Environment and Forests, secretary
Expert members of the committee
Members belonging to the NGO sector are as follows:
- Veer Bhadra Mishra, President, Sankat Mochan Foundation, Varanasi.
- Rajendra Singh, Chairman, Tarun Bharat Sangh, Jaipur.
- Smt. Rama Rauta, Convener, Save Ganga Movement & President, National Women's Organization, Pune.
- Sunita Narain, Director, Center for Science and Environment, New Delhi.
- Prof. B.D. Tripathi, Coordinator, Center for Environmental Science & Technology, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi.
- Dr. Ravi Chopra, Director, People's Science Institute, Dehradun.
- Dr. R.K. Sinha, Department of Zoology, Patna University.
- Prof. R.H. Siddiqi, Former Professor, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh.
- Prof. K.J. Nath,Former Director, All India Institute Of Public Health & Hygiene, Kolkata
- ^ NGRBA Ministry of Environment, Govt. of India.
- ^ http://cpcb.nic.in/ngrba/about.html p.1.
- ^ p.2. Composition of the Authority Ministry of Environment
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Narmada River — View of Picturesque Narmada Bank Near Jabalpur Map of the Narmada River … Wikipedia
Ganges River — Hindi Ganga River, northern India and Bangladesh. Held sacred by followers of Hinduism, it is formed from five headstreams rising in Uttaranchal state. On its 1,560 mi (2,510 km) course, it flows southeast through the Indian states of Uttar… … Universalium
Damodar River — River Damodar River in the lower reaches of the Chota Nagpur Plateau in dry season … Wikipedia
Ministry of Environment and Forests (India) — Part of a series on Wildlife of India … Wikipedia
India — /in dee euh/, n. 1. Hindi, Bharat. a republic in S Asia: a union comprising 25 states and 7 union territories; formerly a British colony; gained independence Aug. 15, 1947; became a republic within the Commonwealth of Nations Jan. 26, 1950.… … Universalium
Haridwar — Infobox Indian Jurisdiction native name = Haridwar type = city latd = 29.96 | longd = 78.16| state name = Uttarakhand district = Haridwar skyline = Haridwar Aerial view.jpg skyline caption = Aerial view of Haridwar locator position = right leader … Wikipedia
History of Uttar Pradesh — The history of Uttar Pradesh, an Indian State, can be divided into five periods: (1) the prehistory Early Vedic Period(up to c. 600 BC), (2) the Buddhist Hindu period (c. 600 BC to c. AD 1200), (3) the Muslim period (c. 1200 to c. 1857), (4) the… … Wikipedia
Karnataka — This article is about the Indian state. For the progressive rock music group, see Karnataka (band). Karnataka ಕರ್ನಾಟಕ … Wikipedia
History of Buddhism — The History of Buddhism spans the 6th century BCE to the present, starting with the birth of the Buddha Siddhartha Gautama. This makes it one of the oldest religions practiced today. Starting in India, the religion evolved as it spread through… … Wikipedia
Bangladesh — /bahng gleuh desh , bang /, n. republic in S Asia, N of the Bay of Bengal: a member of the Commonwealth of Nations; a former province of Pakistan. 125,340,261; 54,501 sq. mi. (141,158 sq. km). Cap.: Dhaka. Formerly, East Pakistan. * * *… … Universalium