The Green Ajah is described in chapter 23 of "The Dragon Reborn" by Alanna Sedai to Egwene al'Vere in the following way:
..."Browns seek knowledge, Blues meddle in causes, and Whites consider the questions of truth with implacable logic. We all do some of it all, of course. But to be a Green means to stand ready ... In the Trolloc Wars, we were often called the Battle Ajah. All Aes Sedai helped where and when they could, but the Green Ajah alone was always with the armies, in almost every battle. We were the counter to the Dreadlords. The Battle Ajah. And now we stand ready, for the Trollocs to come south again, for Tarmon Gai’don, the Last Battle. We will be there. That is what it means to be a Green."...
Sisters of the Green Ajah are also notable for being, in general, far more tolerant of men than other Ajahs. Some even marry—this is alluded to in chapter 7 of The Great Hunt when Leane Sedai tells Perrin Aybara that he is "almost a pretty enough boy to make me wish I was a Green."
The head of the Green Ajah is called Captain-General.
Additionally, each Ajah has three Sitters, who have been chosen within their Ajah to represent its interests in the Hall of the Tower. Typically, the leader or head of the Ajah is not usually a Sitter though this is not always the case.
While all Aes Sedai make it their business to combat the Shadow, the Green Ajah specializes in this kind of military and combat activity. In the Trolloc Wars, they were often called the Battle Ajah, as they participated in almost every battle. They are headed by a woman known as the Captain-General.
Greens are rarely without Warders, who provide an obvious benefit to any channeler in a battle zone, but even more than that members of the Green Ajah are well-known for their love of men, making them ideologically opposite to the Reds. The Green is the only Ajah to permit the bonding of more than one Warder, and there is apparently no limit to the number of bonded, though seven is the highest number shown so far. Also, Greens are generally the only Aes Sedai to marry their Warders, and those who do are usually among the few of their Ajah to have only one Warder.
Relations with other Ajahs
They have had a long-standing friendship with the Blues, and generally oppose the Reds, though in recent events Greens sided with the Reds in many issues before the White Tower split. Greens are equally represented in both White Towers.
Elayne Trakand is the current Daughter-Heir to the throne of Andor. She was raised to Aes Sedai and joined the Green Ajah shortly before returning to her homeland to confront threats to her throne. She bonded Birgitte Silverbow to save her from dying, thus forcing her to choose the Green Ajah when she decided to bond the Dragon Reborn Rand al'Thor and is pregnant with his twins.
Cadsuane is an Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah. She has nearly black eyes and wears her iron gray hair in a bun with many gold ornaments. The ornaments in her hair are angreal and ter'angreal. These include one that tells her the direction of somebody channeling the One Power be it the male or female half, one that senses a man's ability to channel, one that stores a small amount of saidar, one that goes cool when a woman embraces saidar and one that gives her the ability to disrupt an illusion when in close proximity to it. These items had been earned through trials set for her by a wilder in the Black Hills. When she went into retirement, Cadsuane had a legendary status amongst the other Aes Sedai. Many believed her to be dead at the time Rand declared himself to be the Dragon Reborn. Her ability to channel was the strongest of any woman in the last 1000 years until Egwene, Elayne and Nynaeve were discovered. At the time she meets Rand she is over 300 years old and the oldest (known) living Aes Sedai. She is said to have had more Warders than most Aes Sedai have had shoes.
Slim and beautiful with long black hair and penetrating dark blue eyes, Alanna is often described as wearing a gray riding dress slashed with green. She is quite shy but has a fiery temper. Born approximately 963 NE in Arafel and was a novice with Sheriam Bayanar when she came to the Tower.
Alanna is first encountered during The Great Hunt, where she is a part of Siuan Sanche's entourage to Fal Dara. When Egwene al'Vere and Nynaeve al'Meara are taken back to the White Tower to become Aes Sedai, she gives them several lessons in channeling, although she is unable to break through Nynaeve's block.
Alanna is present during Egwene's test for becoming an Accepted, along with Sheriam, Siuan Sanche and Elaida do Avriny a'Roihan. She noticed a strange resonance in the rings during Egwene's test and appears to blame herself for not stopping the test and risking danger to Egwene. She asks Siuan for a penance as a result of this.
Alanna was also one of the Aes Sedai who were responsible for Healing Mat Cauthon from the taint of the Shadar Logoth dagger.
In addition to her two Warders, Ihvon and Owein, Alanna has also forcefully Bonded Rand al'Thor (after one of her Warders died) as a Warder when she met him at the Culain's Hound Inn in Caemlyn. Her bond to him, however, cannot be used to compel him to her will, as normal for most Warder bonds. She also wanted to bond Perrin Aybara, but was warned off by Faile Bashere, who threatened to kill her if she did so.
An Aes Sedai of the Green Ajah, she is described as being slender and graceful with a straight back and almost white hair, with fine bones and a long patrician face. She has a Warder named Jaem. Her sister was Adeleas Namelle who was slain by the Black Ajah as she with many others accompanied Elayne towards Caemlyn.
In Knife of Dreams she is killed in an attack from the Black Ajah, but not before she has a chance to kill her sister's murderer.
Former Keeper of the Chronicles, Leane was stilled alongside Siuan Sanche but has since been restored. Weaker in power compared to her prior abilities due to a woman (Nynaeve al'Meara) restoring her, Leane switched from the Blue Ajah to the Green after her restoration.
Other notable members
- Beldeine Nyram is also a newly-raised Aes Sedai who does not have the ageless look yet. She was part of the group sent to capture Rand in Cairhien and was instead captured at Dumai's Wells. She was one of the first to swear fealty to Rand, and was present at the battle of the Choeden Kal and at the meeting with Semirhage. Min foresaw that she would bond an Asha'man.
- Bera Harkin is a stocky Andoran Aes Sedai, who is described as looking like a farmwife. She is one of the Salidar Aes Sedai, and was forced to swear fealty to Rand after the battle at Dumai's Wells. She has three Warders.
- Erian Boroleos was part of the group sent to capture Rand at Cairhien. Two of her four Warders were killed when Rand tried to escape, and she beat him with the One Power as punishment in her grief. She was later captured and was one of the first to swear fealty to him.
- Faeldrin Harella is a Taraboner who was part of the Salidar Embassy to Rand. She later swore fealty to him and helped Merana Ambrey negotiate with the Tairen rebels.
- Joline Maza is a slender, pretty Aes Sedai with dark eyes. She has two Warders, Blaeric Negina and Fen Mizar. She was sent by Elaida as an ambassador to the Tarasin Palace in Ebou Dar. Mat helped her to escape Ebou Dar, and she is currently travelling with him.
- Kiruna Nachiman is an elegant, statuesque Aes Sedai, who is sister to King Paitar of Arafel. She is one of the Salidar Aes Sedai and was part of the group of Sisters who rescued Rand at Dumai's Wells.
- Malind Nachenin is one of the newly-raised Sitters in the Salidar Hall. She was one of those who proposed allying with the Black Tower.
- Merise Haindehl is one of the group of Aes Sedai who work with Cadsuane Melaidhrin. She bonded Asha'man Jahar Narishma and has two other Warders. She was present at the battle of the Choedan Kal and later informed the Salidar Aes Sedai of Rand's offer for them to bond forty-seven Asha'man.
- Seonid Traighan was one of the Salidar Embassy to Rand. She later swore fealty to him, and accompanied Perrin Aybara to meet Masema Dagar. She played a big part in the rescue of Faile from the Shaido.
- Myrelle Berengari is the Salidar Captain-General Aes Sedai who received al'Lan Mandragoran's bond after Moiraine Damodred went through a ter'angreal with Lanfear in Tear and was presumed dead. She has had experience in saving Warders after their sisters have died in all four of her other Warders, three of whom she is married to. Since the Towers of Midnight Myrelle has passed Lan's bond to Nynaeve.
The Wheel of Time universe Central characters Supporting charactersAviendha · Bayle Domon · Berelain sur Paendrag Tanreal · Cadsuane Melaidhrin · Davram Bashere · Faile Bashere · Galad Damodred · Gareth Bryne · Gawyn Trakand · Lan Mandragoran · Lews Therin Telamon · Logain Ablar · Loial · Min Farshaw · Moiraine Damodred · Pedron Niall · Siuan Sanche · Tam al'Thor · Thom Merrilin · Tuon · Verin Mathwin · Minor characters · Complete list of characters Aes Sedai AntagonistsOther Concepts and objects Groups and organizations Races and cultures Places Events
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Ajah (Wheel of Time) — An Ajah is a sub organization within the Aes Sedai of Robert Jordan s The Wheel of Time series.In the Age of Legends an ajah was a temporary group of people banded together for a specific purpose [A wheel of time wiki:… … Wikipedia
Black Ajah — An Ajah is a sub organization within the Aes Sedai of Robert Jordan s The Wheel of Time series. The Black Ajah is a secret society of Aes Sedai who have forsaken the Three Oaths. This Ajah supports the Dark One, and its members are also active… … Wikipedia
Brown Ajah — An Ajah is a sub organization within the Aes Sedai of Robert Jordan s The Wheel of Time series. The Brown Ajah is devoted to the study and collection of knowledge. Contents 1 Organization 2 Traditions 3 Relations with other Ajahs … Wikipedia
White Ajah — An Ajah is a sub organization within the Aes Sedai of Robert Jordan s The Wheel of Time series. The smallest of the Ajahs, the White Ajah concerns itself with questions of philosophy, truth and logic. Contents 1 Organization 2 Traditions 3… … Wikipedia
Yellow Ajah — An Ajah is a sub organization within the Aes Sedai of Robert Jordan s The Wheel of Time series. The Yellow Ajah is the only Ajah that is completely dedicated to one of the Talents, namely Healing, which not all sisters are adept with but which is … Wikipedia
Amyrlin Seat — The Amyrlin Seat is a fictional title from Robert Jordan s Wheel of Time series. The Amyrlin Seat, or Amyrlin as it is often shortened to, is the leader of the Aes Sedai in Tar Valon. The term can also refer to the actual seat upon which the… … Wikipedia
Minor Wheel of Time characters — This article contains information on minor characters in Robert Jordan s extensive The Wheel of Time fantasy fiction series who do not have their own article or appear on other pages. For example, members of a particular group, such as the Green… … Wikipedia
Nynaeve al'Meara — (pronounced NIGH neev al MEER ah; married name: el Nynaeve ti al Meara Mandragoran) is one of the main characters of The Wheel of Time fantasy series by Robert Jordan. Contents 1 Personality 2 Appearance 3 Name … Wikipedia
Asha'man — The Asha man are an organization of men who can channel the male part of the One Power, Saidin, in the fictional world of Robert Jordan s fantasy series The Wheel of Time. Contents 1 Description 2 Ranks 3 Training … Wikipedia
Major Wheel of Time characters — Contents 1 The Three Ta veren 1.1 Rand al Thor 1.2 Perrin Aybara 1 … Wikipedia