Tomorrow (Sean Kingston album)
Tomorrow Studio album by Sean Kingston Released September 22, 2009 Recorded 2008–2009 Genre R&B, reggae fusion, pop, hip hop Length 44:58 Label Beluga Heights, Epic, E1 Producer J.R. Rotem (also exec.)
RedOne, Lucas Secon, Fernando Garibay, Wyclef, Drum Up, The Messengers, The Smeezingtons, Jerry "Wonda" Duplessis
The reviews parameter has been deprecated. Please move reviews into the “Reception” section of the article. See Moving reviews into article space.
Sean Kingston chronology Sean Kingston
Singles from Tomorrow
- "Fire Burning"
Released: April 28, 2009
- "Face Drop"
Released: August 18, 2009
Tomorrow is the second studio album by reggae singer Sean Kingston. The album was released on September 22, 2009. Currently, two singles have been released from the album. Despite "Fire Burning" being a huge summer hit in 2009, the album only peaked at #37 on the U.S. Billboard 200 albums chart with only 13,000 copies sold in the first week of release. It dropped out of the top 40 the next week, falling 40 spots to #87.
Background and composition
Tomorrow's sound is significantly different from the sound of Kingston's debut album. In this new LP, he explores sounds of 1990s eurodance and electropop, using instruments like Roland 808 drum machine, Auto-Tune and synthesizers while adding his signature reggae and pop music. Tomorrow also melds together genres of punk-rock and soft-rock, shown in "Shoulda Let Go" featuring American rock band Good Charlotte. Influences of nu-disco, eurodisco and electropop show on "Fire Burning", "Face Drop", and "My Girlfriend". The song "War" was originally supposed to feature rap artist Lil Wayne, but he was taken out of the song on the final version.
David Jeffries of Allmusic favored songs "Fire Burning", "Face Drop", "My Girlfriend", "Shoulda Let U Go", and "Ice Cream Girl" and feels ""Tomorrow" proves Kingston can provide a whole album's worth of pool-side entertainment even without the 'Beautiful Girls'-sized single." Jon Dolan of Rolling Stone said "For the most part--despite Auto-Tuned slow songs--Kingston's mix of young-adult desire and disco heat shows he can cross over in unexpected directions." Simon Vosnick-Levinson of Entertainment Weekly felt that "Although he's got plenty of hooks, personality is in much shorter supply". While some of his reviews are positive, others feel his album lacks novelty and interest. Jason Richards of Now Magazine said that although he is a good singer-songwriter, his album lacks novelty and feels irritating. Apparently to Sarah Rodman of The Boston Globe, Kingston's collections of "silly lyrics and robotic tempos of Sean Kingston’s sophomore album slide if it were mid-July and we were in the mood for Euro-disco/reggae mash-ups, and straight-up electro-pop." Bill Lamb of About.com:
It's abundantly clear on Tomorrow that Sean Kingston plans to stick around for awhile. He demonstrates he can play well with other artists on the bouncy "Shoulda Let Go" which is co. produced by Drum Up (LaMar Seymour, LaNelle Seymour) for Drum Up Digital/Drummah Boyz Worldwide LLC and featuring a rock chorus from Good Charlotte and a rhythmic vocal workout with Wyclef Jean on "Ice Cream Girl." At least half of the songs here could be pop hit singles and fit easily into contemporary pop radio playlists. Sean Kingston may want to consider stripping his sound down a bit more, but Tomorrow is far from an unpleasant listening experience. Sean Kingston has successfully delivered the goods he has to offer a second time around.
# Title Producer(s) Writer(s) Time 1 "Welcome to Tomorrow" PrettyBoiFresh Jonathan Reuven Rotem, Keinan Abdi Warsame, Peter Gene Hernandez & Philip Lawrence 0:57 2 "War" J. R. Rotem Jonathan Reuven Rotem & Kisean Anderson 2:59 3 "Fire Burning" RedOne Nadir Khayat, Bilal Hajji & Kisean Anderson 4:00 4 "My Girlfriend" Fernando Garibay Peter Gene Hernandez, Fernando Garibay & Philip Lawrence 3:24 5 "Face Drop" Lucas Secon Andrea Martin & Lucas Secon 3:04 6 "Magical" Emile Jonathan Reuven Rotem & Kisean Anderson 3:09 7 "Island Queen" The Smeezingtons Peter Gene Hernandez & Philip Lawrence 3:42 8 "Tomorrow" The Smeezingtons Jonathan Reuven Rotem, Keinan Abdi Warsame, Peter Gene Hernandez & Philip Lawrence 2:56 9 "Twist Ya Around" J. R. Rotem Jonathan Reuven Rotem, Keinan Abdi Warsame, Peter Gene Hernandez, Philip Lawrence, Grant & Kisean Anderson 3:24 10 "Wrap U Around Me" Pleasure P, Rico Love, Earl Hood & E Diane Warren 3:22 11 "Shoulda Let U Go" (featuring Good Charlotte) Drum Up, DJ Frank E, Detail Joel Madden, Detail, Benji Madden, Justin Franks, Kisean Anderson, LaMar Seymour, LaNelle Seymour 3:08 12 "Over" Al Khaaliq, The Messengers Jonathan Reuven Rotem & Kisean Anderson 3:06 13 "Ice Cream Girl" (featuring Wyclef Jean) Wyclef, Wonda 4:01 14 "Why U Wanna Go" Midi Mafia Wyclef Jean & Jerry Duplessis 3:43
- "Fire Burning" was the first official single from the album, released on April 24, 2009. It peaked at #5 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming the most successful single from the album.
- "Face Drop" was the second official single from the album. It was released to radio stations on August 18, 2009 and iTunes on September 1, 2009. Lyrically, "Face Drop" is plea to not judge by appearance. It peaked at #61 on the Billboard Hot 100, which was of moderate success compared to Kingston's previous hits.
- "My Girlfriend" was the first promo single and was released digitally on July 28, 2009.
- "Wrap U Around Me" was the second promo single and was released digitally on August 4, 2009.
- "Tomorrow" was the third promo single and was released digitally on August 11, 2009.
- "Island Queen" was the fourth promo single and was released digitally on August 18, 2009.
- "War" was the fifth promo single and was released digitally on August 25, 2009. Originally "War" featured rapper Lil Wayne, but this version was not included on the album.
- "Face Drop" was the sixth promo single and was released digitally on September 1, 2009. It was also released as the second official single from the album, and it was sent to radio on August 18, 2009.
- ^ http://www.billboard.com/#/charts/billboard-200?begin=81&order=position
- ^ a b Richards, Jason. "Now Magazine // Music // Sean Kingston". Nowtoronto.com. http://www.nowtoronto.com/music/discs.cfm?content=171405. Retrieved 2010-06-25.
- ^ a b [dead link]
- ^ Jeffries, David (2009-09-22). "((( Tomorrow > Review )))". allmusic. http://www.allmusic.com/album/r1636456/review. Retrieved 2010-06-25.
- ^ Reviewed by Simon Vozick-Levinson (2009-09-16). "Tomorrow | News". EW.com. http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20304821,00.html. Retrieved 2010-06-25.
- ^ "Sean Kingston’s ‘Tomorrow’ targets the wrong season - The Boston Globe". Boston.com. 2009-09-21. http://www.boston.com/ae/music/cd_reviews/articles/2009/09/21/sean_kingstons_tomorrow_targets_the_wrong_season/. Retrieved 2010-06-25.
- ^ "Sean Kingston - Tomorrow - Review of the Sean Kingston Album Tomorrow". Top40.about.com. 2007-08-09. http://top40.about.com/od/albums/fr/seankingstontomorrow.htm. Retrieved 2010-06-25.
- ^ a b c Login or register to post comments (2009-07-29). "iTunes Countdown to Tomorrow | The Official Sean Kingston Site". Seankingston.com. http://www.seankingston.com/news/itunes-countdown-tomorrow. Retrieved 2010-06-25.
- ^ a b c "Singles: Sean Kingston". http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.ListAll&friendId=91360327. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
Sean KingstonDiscography Studio albumsSean Kingston · Tomorrow Mixtapes Singles Featured singles Other songs
- "Fire Burning"
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Sean Kingston (álbum) — Este artículo o sección necesita referencias que aparezcan en una publicación acreditada, como revistas especializadas, monografías, prensa diaria o páginas de Internet fidedignas. Puedes añadirlas así o avisar … Wikipedia Español
Sean Kingston — cantando Beautiful Girls Datos generales Nombre real Kisean Anderson … Wikipedia Español
Sean Kingston — Sean Kingston, Dezember 2007 Sean Kingston (* 3. Februar 1990 in Miami, Vereinigte Staaten; eigentlich Kisean Anderson) ist ein US amerikanischer Sänger. Inha … Deutsch Wikipedia
Sean Kingston — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Sean et Kingston. Sean Kingston … Wikipédia en Français
Tomorrow — Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom. Sur les autres projets Wikimedia : « Tomorrow », sur le Wiktionnaire (dictionnaire universel) Tomorrow est un mot anglais signifiant… … Wikipédia en Français
Face Value (album) — Infobox Album | Name = Face Value Type = Album Artist = Phil Collins Released = February 9 1981 Recorded = August 1980 January 1981 Genre = Soft Rock Progressive rock Length = 47:49 Label = Virgin Records (UK and Ireland) Atlantic Records (rest… … Wikipedia
Me Love — Single by Sean Kingston from the album Sean Kingston Released … Wikipedia
Kisean anderson — Sean Kingston Pour les articles homonymes, voir Sean et Kingston. Sean Kingston … Wikipédia en Français
Love like This — Infobox Single Name = Love Like This Artist = Natasha Bedingfield featuring Sean Kingston from Album = Pocketful of Sunshine B side = Stepping Stone Released = 20 September 2007 (North America) 7 April 2008 (Ireland, UK) Format = CD single,… … Wikipedia
Letting Go (Dutty Love) — This article is about the song. For other uses, see Dutty (disambiguation). Letting Go (Dutty Love) Single by Sean Kingston featuring Nicki Minaj … Wikipedia