Munde U.K. De
Munde U.K. De
Official film poster
Directed by Manmohan Singh Starring Jimmy Shergill, Amrinder Gill, Neeru Bajwa, Gurpreet Ghuggi, Rana Ranbir Music by Sukshinder Shinda, Babloo Kumar Release date(s) May 22, 2009
May 8, 2009 (India)
Country India Language Punjabi
Amrinder Gill facebook fan page Munde U.K. De (literal translation: "Boys from the U.K."), distributed in English-speaking territories with the additional tagline British by Right, Punjabi by Heart!, is a Punjabi film by writer-director Manmohan Singh. The movie stars Jimmy Shergill, Amrinder Gill, Neeru Bajwa, Rana Ranbir, and Gurpreet Ghuggi. It was released in India May 8, 2009, and in Los Angeles, California, US, on May 22, 2009, among other territories. It has a running time of 149 minutes.
Two young Punjabi-British men visit their homeland, Punjab: Roop Singh (Jimmy Shergill), comes to see his grandfather, Gurdit Singh (Arun Bali) and Roop's touristy pal DJ (Gurpreet Ghuggi) comes to see how Punjab is like. Roop meets Reet Brar (Neeru Bajwa), a university classmate of his cousin Deepi's, and falls for her, and DJ falls for brainy, Kulwant Kaur (Akshita Vasudeva), another classmate. DJ, trying to videotape locals in the town square, and learn more about his homeland, has to avoid a cranky old woman, Atro, who drives a tractor. Roop agrees to let his aunt be his matchmaker and set up an arranged marriage for himself and Reet, but the modern-thinking Reet wants no part of what she considers outmoded provincialism. Her father (Deep Dhillon) angrily sets up an arranged marriage for her with Jagjot Gill (singer Amrinder Gill, in his first film). Reet, however, reconsiders and realizes she loves Roop after all, and Kulwant falls for DJ too. Reet tells Jagjot, that she loves Roop a lot, so to help the lovers Jagjot says hes not ready to get married. After this incident no boy will marry Reet so, Reet's father and her ne'er-do-well brother, Jaile (Binnu Dhillon), devise a plan to figure out if he Roop really loves Reet: Her father will give his consent if Roop can find a British bride for Jaile, which will prove that Roop is ready to do anything for Reet. DJ calls in an old girlfriend from UK, party girl, Candy (Khushboo), who flies in to help, they plan a scheme which will scare Jaile away. Candy acts like a traditional, Punjabi girl, and wins Jaile's heart, so they fix, Roop and Reet's and Jaile and Candy's engagement for the same day. Candy tells Kulwant that DJ was in many relationships with many different girls, since she still loves DJ, after hearing that Kulwant is heart-broken, and leaves DJ. Then the day before the engagement Candy reveals how modern girls really are, by bringing him to a pub. On the engagement day Jaile runs away, Candy tells DJ, that if he doesn't sit in Jaile's spot, she will reveal the truth, so to help out his friend, DJ and Candy get engaged and so do Roop and Reet.
(At the end everyone is happy, even DJ.)
At Overseeing all the rom-com complications is Khoji (comedian Rana Ranbir, who wrote the film's dialog, with story supplied by the film's director-cinematographer, Manmohan Singh), the house manager for the well-to-do grandfather's estate and staff.
- Jimmy Shergill – Roop Singh
- Gurpreet Ghuggi – DJ
- Neeru Bajwa - Reet Brar
- Akshita Vasudeva - Kulwant Kaur
- Amrinder Gill – Jagjot Gill
- Deep Dhillon – Mr. Brar
- Sunita Dheer - Mrs. Brar
- Arun Bali – Gurdit Singh
- Rana Ranbir – Khoji, the house manager
- Khushboo Grewal – Candy
- Binnu Dhillon - Jaile Brar, Reet's brother
- Teenu Sharma - Deepi, Roop's cousin
Other characters whose names are not known:
- ___Kulbir Badesron____ - Roop's aunt
- _______ - Atro - Old lady on tractor
Munde U.K. De was released in India May 8, 2009, Canada, UK, Australia, U.S.A and other territories on May 22, 2009. In India the Response of Munde U.K De was amazing and sold out shows on the release date which earned Rs 12.5 crore in first Two weeks. Due to good response Munde U.K De was released all over the seas in total of 36 prints that also did preety good job for the viewers which made it huge hit of the blockbuster with the gross revenue of Rs 26.9 crore just in the month of May. With the Budget of only Rs 4.5 crore Munde U.K. De had gone too far from other Hindi/Punjabi Movies that were released in the month of May.
Production companies: Mukutwalas in association with Punj-Aab Movie International
- Story, Director, Cinematographer: Manmohan Singh
- Dialogue: Rana Ranbir
- Producer: Kamal Mukut
- Music: Sukshinder Shinda, Babloo Kumar
- Lyrics: Babu Singh Maan, Amarjit Musapuria, Rana Ranbir
- Background score: Anjar Biswas
- Editor: Bunty Nagi
- Singers: Sunidhi Chauhan, Amrinder Gill, Jasbir Jassi, Sardool Sikander, Ravinder Grewal, Labh Jajua, Sudesh Kumari, Miss Pooja.
Source: H. S. Communication press release
Munde U.K. De Soundtrack album by Sukhshinder Shinda and Babloo Kumar Released Early 2009 Recorded 2009 Genre Punjabi Producer Sukhshinder Shinda and Babloo Kumar
All lyrics written by Babbu Singh Mann and Amarjeet Musapuria, all music composed by Sukshinder Shinda and Babloo Kumar.
Munde U.K. De No. Title Singer Length 1. "Ishq Ho Gaya" Amrinder Gill 2. "Ik Kudi Utte Aya Mera Dil" Jasbir Jassi and Miss Pooja 3. "Kuch Bol Jubhano Bol" Sardool Sikander 4. "Do Ghut Peelay" Sunidhi Chauhan 5. "Munde UK De" Labh Janjua 6. "Dil Milyan De Mela" Amrinder Gill 7. "Kudiyan Vekhan Aye" Ravinder Grewal, Sudesh Kumari, 8. "Ik Kudi Utte Aya Mera Dil (remix)" Jasbir Jassi and Miss Pooja
R. Paul Dhillon of the Vancouver, British Columbia arts and entertainment Web site Straight.com (co-star Neeru Bajwa is Vancouver-raised), bemoaned "a lame plot and largely clichéd characters", and called it "another half-baked NRIs-in-the-Punjab tale", using the abbreviation for non-resident Indian, while he did praise "Ghuggi, who’s become Punjabi cinema's version of Jim Carrey", for "a very nuanced and controlled performance, right down to the accent and mannerisms of Indo-British lads". Frank Lovece of Film Journal International concurred, saying the "unexceptional romantic comedy won't turn any U.S. cineastes into Punjwood aficionados, and lacks the production values and star power Indian-American audiences have come to expect. ... The movie has modest charms ... but they're often drowned out by a bombastically melodramatic score, and lots of sitting-around-talking scenes with go-nowhere dialogue". Singah, he wrote, "shoots with dull, flattened lighting far removed from Bollywood's typical crystalline sheen". Maitland McDonagh of MissFlickChick.com took a middle ground, calling the film "overlong, painfully cliched but occasionally surprisingly sly and clever".
- ^ Official site
- ^ a b L.A. Weekly: "Movies"
- ^ "'Munde UK De' making waves now", H. S. Communication press release via Merinews.com, May 30, 2009
- ^ Dhillon, R. Paul. "Munde U.K. De is another half-baked, cliché-ridden NRI story" Straight.com, May 11, 2009
- ^ Lovece, Frank. Film Review: Munde UK De — British by Right, Punjabi by Heart!, Film Journal International, June 11, 2009
- ^ McDonagh, Maitland. "Munde U.K. de" (review), MissFlickChick.com
- ^ The film was also released in Australia with six prints. Australia is a non-traditional center for Punjabi films but even then it went on to take a bumper opening there. In U.K. the film was released in seven cinemas with 10 prints and unbelievably registered full houses. In Canada Munde U.K. De was released with 12 prints in 11 cinemas and seeing great crowd turnout. There is growing demand for more prints for the film in the USA as well and a bigger release is planned there on May 22nd
- ^ Someone who gets turned off by Indian films in general, and Punjabi films, I found this really funny and great fun. It has a thumping Bhangra soundtrack that had me tapping my feet. Even if you don't understand Punjabi, fully like me, you will love this film. The comedian (Ghuggi) had me in stitches, playing the UK Jazzy B Bay Boy look alike. He's good hearted but cannot get his words quite right in Punjabi (with his English accent). I identified with this a lot. Also looked at how different customs are different here and in Punjab. No over dramatic melodrama. Just a good story. I won't spoil it for you. Thought I'd mention the soundrack again. It is brilliant. Some great tunes, and great dancing.
- Munde U.K. De Trailers
- "Cast of 'Munde UK De' comes calling", The Tribune (India), May 1, 2009
- Southern, Nathan. All Movie Guide Overview: Munde UK de
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Münde — Münde, 1) zwei Häfen an der preußischen Ostseeküste, bei Kolberg im Kreise Fürstenthum u. bei Rügenwalde im Kreise Schlawa (Regierungsbezirk Köslin); 2) (Weichselmünde), kleine Festung bei Danzig an der Ostsee, zum Schutz des Danziger Hafens … Pierer's Universal-Lexikon
Munde — Original name in latin Munde Name in other language Munde State code ID Continent/City Asia/Makassar longitude 8.7926 latitude 120.7373 altitude 460 Population 0 Date 2012 01 21 … Cities with a population over 1000 database
munde — mun|de vb., r, de, t; munde ud … Dansk ordbog
munde — see munan … Old to modern English dictionary
munde — … Useful english dictionary
Münde, die — Die Münde, plur. die n, der Ausfluß eines Flusses, der Ort, wo sich ein Fluß in einen andern, oder in die See ergießet; wofür doch jetzt Mündung üblicher ist. In eigenthümlichen Nahmen solcher Orte, welche an dem Ausflusse eines Flusses oder… … Grammatisch-kritisches Wörterbuch der Hochdeutschen Mundart
Alan Munde — Infobox Musical artist Name = Alan Munde Img capt = Img size = Landscape = Background = non vocal instrumentalist Birth name = Alias = Born = birth date and age|1946|11|4|mf=y Origin = Norman, Oklahoma, United States Instrument = Banjo Genre =… … Wikipedia
Hohe Munde — vom Seefelder Sattel aus gesehen Höhe … Deutsch Wikipedia
Hohe Munde — La Hohe Munde vu du nord est Géographie Altitude 2 662 m Massif Wetterstein … Wikipédia en Français
In aller Munde sein — Wenn etwas in aller Munde ist, ist es sehr bekannt und verbreitet sich schnell, weil jeder darüber spricht: Das neue Kellertheater war bald in aller Munde. Das folgende Beispiel stammt aus Frank Thieß Roman »Das Reich der Dämonen«: »Doch nach… … Universal-Lexikon