- AFI's 100 Years...100 Movie Quotes
AFI 100 Years... series
Part of the AFI 100 Years... series, AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movie Quotes is a list of the top 100 movie quotations in American cinema. The American Film Institute revealed the list on June 21, 2005, in a three-hour television program on CBS. The program was hosted by actor Pierce Brosnan and had commentary from many Hollywood actors and filmmakers.
A jury consisting of 1,500 film artists, critics, and historians selected "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn," spoken by Clark Gable in the Civil War epic Gone with the Wind as the most memorable American movie quotation of all time.
Jurors were asked to consider the following criteria in making their selections:
- Movie Quotation: A statement, phrase or brief exchange of dialogue spoken in an American film. Lyrics from songs are not eligible.
- Cultural Impact: Movie quotations that viewers use in their own lives and situations; circulating through popular culture, they become part of the national lexicon.
- Legacy: Movie quotations that viewers use to evoke the memory of a treasured film, thus ensuring and enlivening its historical legacy.
Quotation number Quotation Character Actor/Actress Film Year 1 "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." Rhett Butler Clark Gable Gone with the Wind 1939 2 "I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse." Don Vito Corleone Marlon Brando The Godfather 1972 3 "You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am." Terry Malloy Marlon Brando On the Waterfront 1954 4 "Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." Dorothy Gale Judy Garland The Wizard of Oz 1939 5 "Here's looking at you, kid." Rick Blaine Humphrey Bogart Casablanca 1942 6 "Go ahead, make my day" Harry Callahan Clint Eastwood Sudden Impact 1983 7 "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up." Norma Desmond Gloria Swanson Sunset Boulevard 1950 8 "May the Force be with you." Han Solo Harrison Ford Star Wars 1977 9 "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night." Margo Channing Bette Davis All About Eve 1950 10 "You talkin' to me?" Travis Bickle Robert De Niro Taxi Driver 1976 11 "What we've got here is failure to communicate." Captain Strother Martin Cool Hand Luke 1967 12 "I love the smell of napalm in the morning." Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore Robert Duvall Apocalypse Now 1979 13 "Love means never having to say you're sorry." Jennifer Cavilleri Barrett Ali MacGraw Love Story 1970 14 "The stuff that dreams are made of." Sam Spade Humphrey Bogart The Maltese Falcon 1941 15 "E.T. phone home." E.T. Pat Welsh E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial 1982 16 "They call me Mister Tibbs!" Virgil Tibbs Sidney Poitier In the Heat of the Night 1967 17 "Rosebud." Charles Foster Kane Orson Welles Citizen Kane 1941 18 "Made it, Ma! Top of the world!" Arthur "Cody" Jarrett James Cagney White Heat 1949 19 "I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!" Howard Beale Peter Finch Network 1976 20 "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." Rick Blaine Humphrey Bogart Casablanca 1942 21 "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti." Hannibal Lecter Anthony Hopkins The Silence of the Lambs 1991 22 "Bond. James Bond." James Bond Sean Connery Dr. No 1962 23 "There's no place like home." Dorothy Gale Judy Garland The Wizard of Oz 1939 24 "I am big! It's the pictures that got small." Norma Desmond Gloria Swanson Sunset Boulevard 1950 25 "Show me the money!" Rod Tidwell Cuba Gooding, Jr. Jerry Maguire 1996 26 "Why don't you come up sometime and see me?" Lady Lou Mae West She Done Him Wrong 1933 27 "I'm walking here! I'm walking here!" "Ratso" Rizzo Dustin Hoffman Midnight Cowboy 1969 28 "Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By.'" Ilsa Lund Ingrid Bergman Casablanca 1942 29 "You can't handle the truth!" Col. Nathan R. Jessep Jack Nicholson A Few Good Men 1992 30 "I want to be alone." Grusinskaya Greta Garbo Grand Hotel 1932 31 "After all, tomorrow is another day!" Scarlett O'Hara Vivien Leigh Gone with the Wind 1939 32 "Round up the usual suspects." Capt. Louis Renault Claude Rains Casablanca 1942 33 "I'll have what she's having." Customer Estelle Reiner When Harry Met Sally... 1989 34 "You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow." Marie "Slim" Browning Lauren Bacall To Have and Have Not 1944 35 "You're gonna need a bigger boat." Martin Brody Roy Scheider Jaws 1975 36 "Badges? We ain't got no badges! We don't need no badges! I don't have to show you any stinking badges!" "Gold Hat" Alfonso Bedoya The Treasure of the Sierra Madre 1948 37 "I'll be back." The Terminator Arnold Schwarzenegger The Terminator 1984 38 "Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth." Lou Gehrig Gary Cooper The Pride of the Yankees 1942 39 "If you build it, he will come." Shoeless Joe Jackson Ray Liotta (voice) Field of Dreams 1989 40 "Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." Forrest Gump Tom Hanks Forrest Gump 1994 41 "We rob banks." Clyde Barrow Warren Beatty Bonnie and Clyde 1967 42 "Plastics." Mr. Maguire Walter Brooke The Graduate 1967 43 "We'll always have Paris." Rick Blaine Humphrey Bogart Casablanca 1942 44 "I see dead people." Cole Sear Haley Joel Osment The Sixth Sense 1999 45 "Stella! Hey, Stella!" Stanley Kowalski Marlon Brando A Streetcar Named Desire 1951 46 "Oh, Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars." Charlotte Vale Bette Davis Now, Voyager 1942 47 "Shane. Shane. Come back!" Joey Starrett Brandon De Wilde Shane 1953 48 "Well, nobody's perfect." Osgood Fielding III Joe E. Brown Some Like It Hot 1959 49 "It's alive! It's alive!" Henry Frankenstein Colin Clive Frankenstein 1931 50 "Houston, we have a problem." Jim Lovell Tom Hanks Apollo 13 1995 51 "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?" Harry Callahan Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry 1971 52 "You had me at 'hello.'" Dorothy Boyd Renée Zellweger Jerry Maguire 1996 53 "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I don't know." Capt. Geoffrey T. Spaulding Groucho Marx Animal Crackers 1930 54 "There's no crying in baseball!" Jimmy Dugan Tom Hanks A League of Their Own 1992 55 "La-dee-da, la-dee-da." Annie Hall Diane Keaton Annie Hall 1977 56 "A boy's best friend is his mother." Norman Bates Anthony Perkins Psycho 1960 57 "Greed, for lack of a better word, is good." Gordon Gekko Michael Douglas Wall Street 1987 58 "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer." Michael Corleone Al Pacino The Godfather Part II 1974 59 "As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again." Scarlett O'Hara Vivien Leigh Gone with the Wind 1939 60 "Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!" Oliver Oliver Hardy Sons of the Desert 1933 61 "Say 'hello' to my little friend!" Tony Montana Al Pacino Scarface 1983 62 "What a dump." Rosa Moline Bette Davis Beyond the Forest 1949 63 "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me. Aren't you?" Benjamin Braddock Dustin Hoffman The Graduate 1967 64 "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" President Merkin Muffley Peter Sellers Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb 1964 65 "Elementary, my dear Watson." Sherlock Holmes Basil Rathbone The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes 1939 66 "Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape." George Taylor Charlton Heston Planet of the Apes 1968 67 "Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine." Rick Blaine Humphrey Bogart Casablanca 1942 68 "Here's Johnny!" Jack Torrance Jack Nicholson The Shining 1980 69 "They're here!" Carol Anne Freeling Heather O'Rourke Poltergeist 1982 70 "Is it safe?" Dr. Christian Szell Laurence Olivier Marathon Man 1976 71 "Wait a minute, wait a minute. You ain't heard nothin' yet!" Jakie Rabinowitz/Jack Robin Al Jolson The Jazz Singer 1927 72 "No wire hangers, ever!" Joan Crawford Faye Dunaway Mommie Dearest 1981 73 "Mother of mercy, is this the end of Rico?" Cesare Enrico "Rico" Bandello Edward G. Robinson Little Caesar 1930 74 "Forget it, Jake, it's Chinatown." Lawrence Walsh Joe Mantell Chinatown 1974 75 "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers." Blanche DuBois Vivien Leigh A Streetcar Named Desire 1951 76 "Hasta la vista, baby." The Terminator Arnold Schwarzenegger Terminator 2: Judgment Day 1991 77 "Soylent Green is people!" Det. Robert Thorn Charlton Heston Soylent Green 1973 78 "Open the pod bay doors, HAL." Dave Bowman Keir Dullea 2001: A Space Odyssey 1968 79 Striker: "Surely you can't be serious." Rumack: "I am serious...and don't call me Shirley." Ted Striker and Dr. Rumack Robert Hays and Leslie Nielsen Airplane! 1980 80 "Yo, Adrian!" Rocky Balboa Sylvester Stallone Rocky 1976 81 "Hello gorgeous." Fanny Brice Barbra Streisand Funny Girl 1968 82 "Toga! Toga!" John "Bluto" Blutarsky John Belushi National Lampoon's Animal House 1978 83 "Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make." Count Dracula Bela Lugosi Dracula 1931 84 "Oh, no, it wasn't the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast." Carl Denham Robert Armstrong King Kong 1933 85 "My precious." Gollum Andy Serkis The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 2002 86 "Attica! Attica!" Sonny Wortzik Al Pacino Dog Day Afternoon 1975 87 "Sawyer, you're going out a youngster, but you've got to come back a star!" Julian Marsh Warner Baxter 42nd Street 1933 88 "Listen to me, mister. You're my knight in shining armor. Don't you forget it. You're going to get back on that horse, and I'm going to be right behind you, holding on tight, and away we're gonna go, go, go!" Ethel Thayer Katharine Hepburn On Golden Pond 1981 89 "Tell 'em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Gipper." Knute Rockne Pat O'Brien Knute Rockne, All American 1940 90 "A martini. Shaken, not stirred." James Bond Sean Connery Goldfinger 1964 91 "Who's on first." Dexter Bud Abbott The Naughty Nineties 1945 92 "Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac...It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!" Carl Spackler Bill Murray Caddyshack 1980 93 "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Mame Dennis Rosalind Russell Auntie Mame 1958 94 "I feel the need—the need for speed!" Lt. Pete "Maverick" Mitchell and Lt. Nick "Goose" Bradshaw Tom Cruise and Anthony Edwards Top Gun 1986 95 "Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary." John Keating Robin Williams Dead Poets Society 1989 96 "Snap out of it!" Loretta Castorini Cher Moonstruck 1987 97 "My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My sister thanks you. And I thank you." George M. Cohan James Cagney Yankee Doodle Dandy 1942 98 "Nobody puts Baby in a corner." Johnny Castle Patrick Swayze Dirty Dancing 1987 99 "I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!" Wicked Witch of the West Margaret Hamilton The Wizard of Oz 1939 100 "I'm king of the world!" Jack Dawson Leonardo DiCaprio Titanic 1997
- Judy Garland said (quotation 4), "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." AFI added the word "got".
- The actual quote from Charlton Heston in Planet of the Apes (quotation 66) is "Take your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!" instead of "Get.." and "..damned.."
- The actual Titanic line is (quotation 100) "I'm the king of the world!"
Casablanca has the most quotations of any movie on the list, with six (#5, 20, 28, 32, 43, 67). Gone with the Wind (#1, 31, 59) and The Wizard of Oz (#4, 23, 99) are next, with three each. A Streetcar Named Desire (#45, #75), The Graduate (#42, #63), Jerry Maguire (#25, #52) and Sunset Blvd. (#7, #24) each have two.
Ten men and four women have multiple quotations. Leading the way is Humphrey Bogart with five. (He also is the one to whom Lauren Bacall addresses quotation #34, and the one to whom Alfonso Bedoya addresses quotation #36.) Bette Davis and Vivien Leigh are tied for the most by an actress, with three. Marlon Brando, Tom Hanks, and Al Pacino also have three apiece. James Cagney, Sean Connery, Clint Eastwood, Charlton Heston, Judy Garland, Jack Nicholson, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Dustin Hoffman, and Gloria Swanson each have two.
Bogart has four quotations playing the same character in Casablanca (#5, 20, 43, and 67). Three actresses have two quotations for the same character: Vivien Leigh in Gone with the Wind (#31 and 59), Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard (#7 and 24) and Judy Garland in The Wizard of Oz (#4 and 23).
Three actors have quotations playing the same character in different movies: Clint Eastwood as Harry Callahan in Sudden Impact (#6) and Dirty Harry (#51); Sean Connery as James Bond in Dr. No (#22) and Goldfinger (#90). Arnold Schwarzenegger is quoted as the Terminator (#37 and 76) in The Terminator and T2.
Quotation #8 is listed as spoken by Harrison Ford's character Han Solo, but is also uttered by several other characters throughout the Star Wars saga, such as Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Obi-Wan Kenobi.
Quotation #79 is an exchange between two characters and Quotation #94 is jointly spoken by the two characters, while all others are spoken by a single character.
Four of the quotations on the list consist of one word or a word repeated: "Rosebud", from Citizen Kane, "Plastics", from The Graduate, "Attica! Attica!" from Dog Day Afternoon, and "Toga! Toga!" from National Lampoon's Animal House. The longest is Katharine Hepburn's quotation from On Golden Pond ("Listen to me, mister. You're my knight in shining armor...") at 40 words.
Four of the quotations were taken from actual events:
- Lou Gehrig's farewell speech ("The Luckiest Man on the Face of the Earth") from The Pride of the Yankees (#38)
- Apollo 13's distress call ("Houston, we have a problem"; the official NASA transcript has "Houston, we've had a problem") (#50)
- George Cohan's signature line ("My mother thanks you,...") from Yankee Doodle Dandy (#97)
- Knute Rockne's "Win one for the Gipper" speech from before a game against Army.
- ^ AFI defines an American film as an English language motion picture with significant creative and/or financial production elements from the United States. Additionally, only quotations from feature-length American films released before January 1, 2004, were considered. AFI defines a feature-length film as a motion picture of narrative format that is typically over 60 minutes in length.
- ^ Jake LaMotta’s character repeats Brando's speech in Raging Bull.
- ^ Usually misquoted as "I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille."
- ^ Paul Newman repeats the line later in the film, mocking the prison warden, though he says "a failure", rather than simply "failure."
- ^ This paraphrases a line from The Tempest by William Shakespeare: "We are such stuff as dreams are made on" (often misquoted as "..made of")
- ^ a b Also George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan, and Daniel Craig.
- ^ a b Appears in some form in a total of 22 films; Dr. No, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Diamonds Are Forever, Live and Let Die, The Man With The Golden Gun, The Spy Who Loved Me, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, Octopussy, A View To A Kill, The Living Daylights, Licence To Kill, GoldenEye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World Is Not Enough, Die Another Day, Casino Royale, and Quantum of Solace.
- ^ Usually misquoted as "Why don't you come up and see me sometime?"
- ^ Sometimes claimed to be an ad lib.
- ^ Usually misquoted as "Play it again, Sam."
- ^ Actually an ad lib "Obituary: Roy Scheider". BBC. February 11, 2008. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7238427.stm. .
- ^ Popularly misquoted as "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges!", most likely from Blazing Saddles in which the line was so worded.
- ^ An actual quotation from Lou Gehrig's retirement speech.
- ^ Often misquoted as "If you build it, they will come."
- ^ The line is based on an actual message from Apollo 13. Astronaut Swigert said "Houston, we've had a problem here," then Lovell repeated "Houston, we've had a problem".
- ^ Often misquoted as "Do you feel lucky, punk?"
- ^ Often misquoted as "... How he got in my pajamas I'll never know."
- ^ The scene from the film in which this line appears is also excerpted in the movie's trailer, but in the trailer the sequence is edited so that Gekko's line occurs as simply "Greed is good." This shorter version of the line has become more popular – and more widely quoted – than the version in the film.
- ^ This maxim is attributed to several military strategists, notably Sun-tzu, Chinese general.
- ^ Often misquoted as "Here's another fine mess you've gotten me into!"
- ^ Although occurring in the 1949 film, this line did not become a widespread catchphrase until after the 1961 premiere of Edward Albee's play Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?. In the opening scene of that play, Martha quotes this line and then (since she has apparently forgotten) she asks George which of Bette Davis's films it is from.
- ^ Often misquoted as "Are you trying to seduce me, Mrs Robinson?"
- ^ This line, which does not appear in any of Arthur Conan Doyle's stories, was first said onscreen in The Return of Sherlock Holmes. The line's first occurrence is in the stage play Sherlock Holmes, written entirely by William Gillette with Doyle's approval, for which Gilette listed Doyle as co-author.
- ^ An ad-lib. The line is Ed McMahon's signature introduction of Johnny Carson on The Tonight Show.
- ^ Ad-libbed after a particularly good take
- ^ Usually misquoted as: "No more wire hangers, ever!"
- ^ Frequently heard as "... Twas beauty killed the beast"
- ^ This quotation is sometimes attributed to Ronald Reagan portraying George Gipp. Reagan's line—from earlier in the film—is "Ask 'em to go in there with all they've got, win just one for the Gipper."
- ^ Later, "Vodka Martini, Shaken, not Stirred." In the film You Only Live Twice, accidentally "Stirred, not Shaken."
- ^ appeared in multiple other films.
- ^ http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/p/planet-of-the-apes-script-heston.html
- ^ "‘King of the world’ dubbed cheesiest movie line". Associated Press. December 7, 2004. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6662425/. Retrieved February 17, 2010.
- ^ "Poll reveals cheesiest film lines". BBC News. December 5, 2004. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/4070771.stm. Retrieved February 17, 2010.
- ^ "Farewell Speech". lougehrig.com. July 4, 1939. http://www.lougehrig.com/about/speech.htm. Retrieved 2008-04-16.
- ^ "Obituary: George M. Cohan, 64, Dies at Home Here". The New York Times, November 6, 1942.
- ^ Paul F. Boller, John George, They Never Said It: A Book of Fake Quotes, Misquotes, and Misleading Attributions (1990), "Gipp, George (1895-1920)", p. 35-36 (noting that, although Rockne was known to have given this speech, it is unlikely that George Gipp ever asked Rockne to tell the team this.
The content of this article has been derived in whole or part from AFI's 100 YEARS, 100 "Movie Quotes. Permission has been received from the copyright holder to release this material under an appropriate free content license. Evidence of this has been confirmed and stored by OTRS volunteers, under ticket number 2007041310002766.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movie Quotes — Part of the AFI 100 Years... series, AFI s 100 Years... 100 Movie Quotes is a list of the top 100 movie quotations in American cinema. The American Film Institute revealed the list in 2005 in a three hour television program on CBS. The program… … Wikipedia
AFI's 100 Years... 100 Movie Quotes — L American Film Institute a fait une liste des 100 meilleures répliques du cinéma américain, qui fut d abord dévoilée en 2005 sur la chaîne CBS, après la décision d un jury de 1500 personnes. Les répliques étant originellement en anglais, seront… … Wikipédia en Français
AFI's 100 Years... 100 Heroes and Villains — AFI s 100 Years… 100 Heroes and Villains est le classement des plus grands héros et méchants du cinéma américain choisis en juin 2003 par l American Film Institute. Sommaire 1 Liste des héros 2 Liste des méchants 3 Voir aussi … Wikipédia en Français
AFI's 100 ans... 100 Repliques du Cinema — AFI s 100 Years... 100 Movie Quotes L American Film Institute a fait une liste des 100 meilleures répliques du cinéma américain, qui fut d abord dévoilé en 2005 sur la chaîne CBS, après la décision d un jury de 1500 personnes. Les répliques étant … Wikipédia en Français
AFI's 100 Ans... 100 Héros Et Méchants — AFI s 100 Years... 100 Heroes and Villains AFI s 100 Years... 100 Heroes and Villains est le classement des plus grands héros et méchants du cinéma américain. Cette liste a été conçue en juin 2003 par l American Film Institute. La liste Héros… … Wikipédia en Français
AFI 100 Years... series — The American Film Institute, celebrating the 100th anniversary of American film, created several top 100 lists covering movies in American cinema.The series are: * 1998: AFI s 100 Years... 100 Movies * 1999: AFI s 100 Years... 100 Stars * 2000:… … Wikipedia
AFI 100 Years... (serie) — El American Film Institute, celebrando los primeros 100 años del cine de Estados Unidos, creó varias listas con diversas temáticas relacionadas con películas estadounidenses. A continuación, los listados oficiales: 1998: AFI s 100 Years... 100… … Wikipedia Español
100 répliques les plus connues du cinéma américain — AFI s 100 Years... 100 Movie Quotes L American Film Institute a fait une liste des 100 meilleures répliques du cinéma américain, qui fut d abord dévoilé en 2005 sur la chaîne CBS, après la décision d un jury de 1500 personnes. Les répliques étant … Wikipédia en Français
100 известных цитат из американских фильмов за 100 лет по версии AFI — Рейтинговые списки Американского киноинститута 100 фильмов (1998 и 2007) 100 звёзд (1999) 100 комедий (2000) 100 остросюжетных фильмов (2001) 100 страстей (2002) 100 героев и злодеев (2003) 100 песен (2004) 100 киноцитат (2005) 25 саундтреков… … Википедия
Top 100 des meilleures répliques cinéma américain selon l'American Film Institute — AFI s 100 Years... 100 Movie Quotes L American Film Institute a fait une liste des 100 meilleures répliques du cinéma américain, qui fut d abord dévoilé en 2005 sur la chaîne CBS, après la décision d un jury de 1500 personnes. Les répliques étant … Wikipédia en Français