Mohaideen Andavar Mosque

Coordinates: 11°00′38″N 79°48′09″E / 11.01053°N 79.80261°E / 11.01053; 79.80261

Mohaideen Andavar Mosque in Thirukkalachery has an important history to this building. It is located in Mosque Street (also called Pallivaasal Street; pallivaasal in Tamil means "mosque").

History

This mosque got its name when it was originally re-built in 1936 through donations from Indian immigrants from Malaya (now Malaysia) and French Indochina (now Vietnam). Donations were collected mainly by Pitchai Ghani Rawoothar and Ave Mohamed Yusuf (both now deceased).

This mosque was then re-built in 1990 by Ave Mohamed Yusuf's son, Ave Abdul Hameed with his own funds. His sons Ave Abdul Sukur and Ave Abdul Bachir also donated US$50,000 towards the rebuilding. This mosque still retains the name Mohaideen Andawar Mosque although it is commonly known as Jamea Masjid. This is one of the biggest mosques with a large dome in Nagappattinam District of Tamil Nadu, India.