Mission control center
A mission control center (MCC) is an entity that manages aerospace vehicle flights, usually from the point of lift-off until the landing or the end of the mission. A staff of flight controllers and other support personnel monitor all aspects of the mission using telemetry, and send commands to the vehicle using ground stations. Personnel supporting the mission from an MCC can include representatives of the attitude control system, power, propulsion, thermal, attitude dynamics, orbital operations and other subsystem disciplines. The training for these missions usually falls under the responsibility of the flight controllers, typically including extensive rehearsals in the MCC.
NASA's Mission Control Center
Prior to liftoff missions are controlled from the Launch Control Center (LCC) located at NASA's Kennedy Space Center on Merritt Island, Florida. Responsibility for the booster and spacecraft remains with the LCC until the booster has cleared the launch tower, when responsibility is handed over to the NASA's Mission Control Center (MCC-H), at the Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center, in Houston. The MCC also manages the U.S. portions of the International Space Station (ISS).
RKA Mission Control Center
The Mission Control Center of the Russian Federal Space Agency (Russian: Центр управления полётами), also known by its acronym ЦУП ("TsUP") is located in Korolyov, near the RKK Energia plant. It contains an active control room for the ISS. It also houses a memorial control room for the Mir where the last few orbits of Mir before it burned up in the atmosphere are shown on the display screens.
Beijing Aerospace Command and Control Center
Beijing Aerospace Command and Control Center is a command center for the Chinese space program which includes the Shenzhou missions. The building is inside a complex nicknamed Aerospace City. The city is located in a suburb northwest of Beijing.
Other significant mission control centers
- Mobile Servicing System Control and Training at Saint-Hubert, Quebec, Canada. Supports Canadarm2 robotics operations.
- The Columbus Control Center (Col-CC) at the German Aerospace Center (DLR) in Oberpfaffenhofen, Germany. It is the mission control center for the European Columbus research laboratory at the International Space Station.
- The ATV Control Centre (ATV-CC) is located at the Toulouse Space Centre (CST) in Toulouse, France. It will be the mission control center for the European Automated Transfer Vehicles, that will regularly resupply ISS.
- JEM Control Center and the HTV Control Center at the Tsukuba Space Center (TKSC) in Tsukuba, Japan manages operations aboard JAXA's Kibo ISS research laboratory and the resupply flights of the H-II Transfer Vehicle. JAXAs satellite operations are also based here.
- The Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), manages all of NASAs unmanned spacecraft.
- European Space Operations Centre (ESOC) responsible for ESAs satellites and space probes.
- Boeing Satellite Development Center (SDC) Mission Control Center in El Segundo, California, US.
- Lockheed Martin A2100 Space Operations Center (ASOC) in Newtown, Pennsylvania, US.
- Space Systems/Loral Mission Control Center in Palo Alto, California, US.
- Titov Main Test and Space Systems Control Centre, mission control center in Krasnoznamensk, Russia.
- ^ "Launch Control Center". NASA. http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/technology/sts-newsref/sts-lcc.html. Retrieved 7 September 2011.
- ^ http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/space/bss/factsheets/mcc/mcc_factsheet.html
- ^ http://www.lockheedmartin.com/ssc/CommercialSpace/Facilities.html
- ^ http://www.ssloral.com/html/aboutssl/overview.html
- (Russian) Mission Control Centre for the Russian Federal Space Agency
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Mission Control Center — (MCC) is a unit that manages aerospace flights. MCC is often part of an aerospace agency. There are several such agencies in the world, the three biggest ones being:*National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) *Russian Federal Space… … Wikipedia
Mission Control Center — Pour les articles homonymes, voir MCC. Mission Control Center moderne du Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center de Houston … Wikipédia en Français
Mission Control Center — der NASA für die ISS in Houston, Texas Als Mission Control Center (MCC) werden die Flugkontrollzentren für die bemannte und unbemannte Raumfahrt bezeichnet. Die Hauptaufgabe eines Mission Control Centers liegt im Austausch der Telemetriedaten mit … Deutsch Wikipedia
Christopher C. Kraft Jr. Mission Control Center — For other places with the same name, see Mission control center. The White Flight Control Room prior to STS 114 in 2005 NASA s Christopher C. Kraft, Jr. Mission Control Center (MCC H), also known by its radio callsign, Houston, at the Lyndon B.… … Wikipedia
Apollo Mission Control Center — Infobox nrhp | name =Apollo Mission Control Center nrhp type = nhl caption = location= Houston, Texas lat degrees = 29 lat minutes = 33 lat seconds = 29 lat direction = N long degrees = 95 long minutes = 5 long seconds = 18 long direction = W… … Wikipedia
Mission Control — Center der NASA in Houston, Texas Als Mission Control Center (MCC) werden die Flugkontrollzentren für die bemannte und unbemannte Raumfahrt bezeichnet. Die Hauptaufgabe eines Mission Control Centers liegt im Austausch der Telemetriedaten mit dem… … Deutsch Wikipedia
mission control — Aerospace. a command center for the control, monitoring, and support of activities connected with manned space flight. Also called mission control center. [1960 65] * * * mission control UK US noun [uncountable] a group of people who control a… … Useful english dictionary
Mission Control Centre (Cospas-Sarsat) — In the field of Search and Rescue, Mission Control Centres (MCCs) are a type of clearinghouse responsible for receiving and distributing distress signal alerts from distress radiobeacons. MCCs are a core component of the international satellite… … Wikipedia
mission control — Aerospace. a command center for the control, monitoring, and support of activities connected with manned space flight. Also called mission control center. [1960 65] * * * … Universalium
Control center solutions — This article is about Command Control installations. For other uses Command and Control Infrastructure, see Control center solutions (disambiguation). Control Center Solution is a generic term for different flavors of technical arrangement within … Wikipedia