Military Benefit Association
The Military Benefit Association, based in Chantilly, Virginia, was founded in 1956 and is one of the largest non-profit insurance associations in the United States sponsoring insurance plans and other membership benefits to the military and federal civilian communities.
Military Benefit Association was established with the objects and purposes of, “… promotion of the welfare of its members; the advancement and safeguarding of their economic interests; and generally to encourage and promote better financial conditions for its members through cooperative enterprises" 
The Military Benefit Association was first founded as the Armed Forces Enlisted Benefit Association in 1956 as a nonprofit association for the purpose of offering group term life insurance to enlisted military members who had few affordable life insurance alternatives. The founders were aware that enlisted service members did not have access to the same benefits as military officers. In 1963, the name of this organization was changed to Military Benefit Association (MBA) . Military officers, retirees, honorably discharged veterans, federal civilian employees, and their spouses have been added to the member eligibility list over the years. Adult former dependents of MBA members are now able to join MBA. Through gradual expansion of its membership eligibility, MBA has grown into an association that serves the entire military and federal civilian communities .
Application for membership in the Association shall be received and entertained from the following:
(1) Active Duty Membership: Personnel who are under age 62, or such age as is determined by the Board of Directors, and who are on active duty in any component of the following Uniformed Services: the United States Army, the United States Navy, the United States Marine Corps, the United States Coast Guard, the United States Air Force, the United States Public Health Service, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, or Cadets or Midshipmen attending the United States Military Academy, the United States Naval Academy, the United States Air Force Academy, the United States Coast Guard Academy or the United States Merchant Marine Academy .
(2) Associate Membership: And from personnel who are under age 62, or such age as is determined by the Board of Directors, and who are entitled to receive pay in a Ready Reserve Duty status in any of the Reserve Components of the United States Uniformed Services, or who are full time civilian employees of the U.S. Government, and U.S. citizens, and are actively engaged in a full time occupation for the U.S. Government on a regular and continuing basis, and from spouses of persons who qualify for membership under paragraphs (1), (2) or (3) of Section 2 of this article, and from dependents of members who qualify for member benefits under rules established from time to time by the Board of Directors.
(3) Veteran Membership: And from personnel who are under age 62, or such age as is determined by the Board of Directors, and who shall have retired from active duty with pay in one of the U.S. Uniformed Services prior to becoming a member of the Association, and from those persons who have been honorably discharged from previous active duty.
(4) Auxiliary Membership: And from those persons, now adults, who were at one time dependents of members.
Any member may continue membership as an Associate member of the Association upon separation, discharge or transfer from active duty, retirement, or upon termination of employment, under honorable conditions.
Board of directors
The decisions which affect the welfare of MBA members are made by a Board of Directors who are in the military or have served in the military and know the concerns of their fellow service members.
The MBA Board of Directors consists of seven elected members. Six are active duty members, three are enlisted personnel and three are commissioned or warrant officers. . Not more than two of the seven Directors may represent one branch of the uniformed services. The President and the Vice President & General Counsel of the Association are ex-officio members of the Board of Directors and shall serve as Directors only so long as they hold their respective offices.
An annual meeting is held the third Friday of October to elect directors and to transact such other business as may properly come before the meeting. All members are invited to attend the annual meeting.
- MBA Term 90 Life Insurance, plans allowing service members to take the insurance with them when they enter civilian life upon ending service. Spouses can also become members.
- Veterans Patriot Term Life Insurance, plans offering coverage for honorably discharged members of the uniformed services.
- NexGen Dependent Term Life Insurance, plans offering increased coverage on dependent children as they transition to adult-former-dependent status at age 25.
- Adult Former Dependent Term Life Insurance, plans providing life insurance coverage for former dependents of MBA members.
- Decreasing Group Term Life Insurance, plans offering monthly income payment options.
- Tricare Supplement Plan, plans paying some cost of medical care beyond what Tricare will pay.
- Kaplan University, Military veterans and active-duty service members may receive up to 55 percent off the cost of tuition.
- Life Line Screening, screenings at a discount not available to the public.
- Liberty Mutual Auto and Home Insurance, savings on auto and home insurance from Liberty Mutual.
- MBA Scholarship Program, each year we will award five $2,000 college scholarships to eligible dependent children of MBA members for undergraduate study.
- Visa Platinum Card, MBA members can apply for U.S. Bank Visa credit cards with no annual fee and a competitive annual percentage rate.
- Hertz Car Rental Discounts, MBA members are automatically eligible to receive discounts on Hertz car rentals.
SGLI and VGLI
Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance (SGLI) is a term life insurance plan available to members of the uniformed services. The Veterans Administration (VA) purchases SGLI coverage for military members from a commercial insurance company made up of a coalition of insurance underwriters.
Veterans' Group Life Insurance (VGLI) is a post-separation term insurance available to military personnel after their SGLI terminates, upon discharge from military service.
SGLI is an insurance option for active duty military members. MBA-sponsored insurance is offered as a supplement.
MBA has partnered with the following organizations to assist military members in making good financial choices.
- [VALoans.com] helps military and veteran families negotiate the process of applying for a home loan through the Veterans Administration.
- [MilitaryHub.com] delivers information to help make better money management choices and use military discounts.
- [MilitaryInfo.com] delivers military news and veteran benefit information to military veterans and their families.
- [MilitaryCity.com] internet portal for the Military Times publications..
- [Stripes.com] delivers military and world news for troops posted overseas..
- [Military.com] delivers a comprehensive variety of military information..
- ^ a b c d http://www.militarybenefit.org/AboutUs/Story/
- ^ http://www.dc.bbb.org/report.html?national=y&compid=12976
- ^ a b https://www.militaryhub.com/military-hub-mba.cfm
- ^ https://www.militarybenefit.org/ApplyNow/
- ^ http://www.dc.bbb.org/report.html?national=y&compid=12976#NatBiz
- ^ http://www.allbusiness.com/membership-organizations/civic-social-fraternal/4047543-1.html
- ^ http://www.gpmlife.com/
- ^ http://www.valoans.com
- ^ http://www.militaryhub.com
- ^ http://www.MilitaryInfo.com
- ^ http://www.MilitaryCity.com
- ^ http://www.Stripes.com
- ^ http://www.Military.com
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Uniformed Services Benefit Association — The Uniformed Services Benefit Association is a nonprofit organization providing low cost group life insurance plans and other financial services specifically designed for the Active Duty and Retired Military family, as well as well as Honorably… … Wikipedia
National Military Family Association — The National Military Family Association (NMFA), headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, is a private non profit association organized to improve the quality of family life of all military personnel. Contents 1 History 2 Membership and… … Wikipedia
Military helicopter — A Mi 17 and troops, Afghanistan, 2009. A military helicopter is a helicopter that is either specifically built or converted for use by military forces. A military helicopter s mission is a function of its design or conversion. The most common use … Wikipedia
Association football — Soccer redirects here. For other uses, see Soccer (disambiguation). Association football An attacking player (No. 10) attempts to kick the ball past t … Wikipedia
Military history of the Netherlands — History of the Netherlands This article is part of a series Early History … Wikipedia
Association of Southeast Asian Nations — Philippines|flagicon|Singapore Singapore|flagicon|Thailand Thailand|flagicon|Vietnam Vietnam admin center type = nowrap|Seat of Secretariat admin center = Jakarta, Indonesia flagicon|Indonesia leader title1 = Secretary General leader name1 =… … Wikipedia
Association for Renaissance Martial Arts — The Association for Renaissance Martial Arts (ARMA), is an international educational non profit organization dedicated to the study and practice of Historical European martial arts of the 15th to 17th centuries. [http://www.thearma.org/about.htm… … Wikipedia
Contra Costa County Employees' Retirement Association — (CCCERA) is a retirement association for Contra Costa County, California workers. It provides Defined benefit plans to the county and other local agencies. The association is a system that provides retirement benefits to employees of Contra Costa … Wikipedia
National Rifle Association — This article concerns the National Rifle Association of the USA. For the UK organisation, see National Rifle Association of the United Kingdom National Rifle Association of America National Rifle Association logo Formation … Wikipedia
Duke of York's Royal Military School — The Duke of York s Royal Military School Motto Sons Of The Brave Established … Wikipedia