Mera Kuchh Saamaan
"Mera Kuch Saamaan" Song by R D Burman from the album Ijaazat Released 1987 Recorded Mumbai, India Genre Film score Label Sa Re Ga Ma Writer Gulzar Producer R D Burman
Mera Kuch Samaan (Hindi: मेरा कुछ सामान, literally: Some of my things) is a popular song from the acclaimed 1987 movie Ijaazat, directed by Gulzar, who also wrote the song. The song was composed by R D Burman and sung by Asha Bhosle. In the film, the song takes cue from the poem, Maya (Anuradha Patel) leaves behind in letter, for her former lover Mahinder (Naseeruddin Shah), asking him to return her things. As he read on, he finds they are not physical things she wants back, but memories of times spent together.
The song remains one of singer Asha Bhosle most popular , and her personal favourite, as in a 2005 interview to the The Fader magazine, calling it autobiographical, she said, "Mera Kuch Samaan..This song is my life."  In a 2010 tweet singer, Asha Bhosle, noted, "Pancham (R D Burman) jokingly referred to song Mera Kuch Samaan as 'Luggage Song'. My band members still call it that when we are on concert tour". 
About the song
Even at the time of its release the song was noted, and even "ahead of its times", for its unusual non-rhyming lyrics in free verse, and for blurring the line between poem and lyric.  The soft music composition chosen by RD Burman, kept the focus completely on the vocals and the words, it not only highlight the unusual lyrics, but also brought Asha versatility as a singer to the fore. It pitted Asha in "a league apart from her contemporaries" and made it one of her best songs. She won her second National Film Award for Best Female Playback Singer for the song of 1988, the first one being for Dil Cheez Kya Hai from Umrao Jaan (1981).
Asha Bhosle won the National Film Award for Best Female Playback Singer for her rendition of the song, and Gulzar won the National Film Award for Best Lyrics and Filmfare Best Lyricist Award for his lyrics. 
Years later, "Mera Kuch Samaan" was the title of the greatest hits album of Gulzar's greatest hits as a lyricist, released in 2005 by Saregama Ltd.  It was also part of the greatest hit compilation album, The Very Best of Asha Bhosle, The Queen of Bollywood, released in 2003. The song was also part of the compliation album, "Precious Platinum" released on her 75th birthday in 2008, by Saregama India Ltd.
In May 2011, theatre festival of plays based on 10 short stories of Gulzar, titled Mera Kuch Samaan was organized in Delhi and Mumbai. 
Asha Bhosle reprised the song in the album, You've Stolen My Heart: Songs From R.D. Burman's Bollywood with Asha Bhosle, released in August 2005, recorded with Asha and Kronos Quartet, a string quartet founded by David Harrington, as a tribute to Rahul Dev Burman. According to Harrington, .."the experience of a lifetime has tinged her voice with even more poignancy when she sings a song like Mera kuch samaan."  The album was recorded over eight days at at San Francisco studios, and went to win a nomination for Grammy Award for Best Contemporary World Music Album. Later she said that her favourite number from the album was "Mera Kuchh samaan..which "is very close to my heart as it transports me back into time when I was with Pancham."
- ^ a b c "Remembering Asha Bhosle's best songs on her birthday". Deccan Herald. September 7, 2011. http://www.deccanherald.com/content/24006/remembering-asha-bhosles-songs.html.
- ^ a b "Asha Bhosale Celebrates 75th Birthday". Daiji World. September 08, 2008. http://www.daijiworld.com/news/news_disp.asp?n_id=50889&n_tit=Asha+Bhosale+Celebrates+75th+Birthday.
- ^ "The Facder". The Fader (The Fader, Inc.) (Issues 34-35): 40. 2005.
- ^ "Javed Akhtar and Asha Bhosle join Twitter". June 08, 2010. http://movies.ndtv.com/movie_story.aspx?ID=ENTEN20100143380&keyword=bo&subcatg=MOVIESINDIA.
- ^ "Gulzar explains difference between poems and lyrics". Sify Movies. January 29, 2011. http://www.sify.com/movies/gulzar-explains-difference-between-poems-and-lyrics-news-national-lb3qOejifib.html.
- ^ 35th National Film Award
- ^ "Stringing it along". DNA (newspaper). Jun 16, 2007. http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_stringing-it-along_1103652.
- ^ Awards IMDB.
- ^ "Chatterati". Indian Express. September 07, 2005. http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=147313.
- ^ Subhash K Jha (September 23, 2005). "Gulzar on his new Anthology `Mera Kuch Samaan`". Sify.com Movies. http://www.sify.com/movies/gulzar-on-his-new-anthology-mera-kuch-samaan-news-bollywood-kkfvzHdefai.html.
- ^ "Gulzar theatre festival next week". The Times of India. May 8, 2011. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2011-05-08/delhi/29522106_1_gulzar-stories-salim-arif.
- ^ "Our 'Boss' joins the big league". The Times of India. Aug 28, 2005. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2005-08-28/news-interviews/27853534_1_asha-bhosle-david-harrington-kronos-quartet.
- ^ "Complete List Of Grammy Nominees". San Francisco Chronicle. December 9, 2005. http://articles.sfgate.com/2005-12-09/entertainment/17403558_1_mariah-carey-chemical-brothers-la-soul/8. Retrieved July 12, 2011.
- ^ "'Grammy nomination a tribute to RD'". The Times of India. Dec 12, 2005. http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2005-12-12/news-interviews/27837293_1_pancham-asha-bhonsle-album.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Gulzar — Infobox Actor bgcolour = silver name = Gulzar birthname = Sampooran Singh Kalra birthdate = birth date and age|1936|8|18 location = Dina, Jhelum District, British India occupation = Film Director, Lyricist, Script writer, Film Producer, Poet… … Wikipedia
Ijaazat — Infobox Film name = Ijaazat caption = Ijaazat poster director = Gulzar writer = starring = Rekha Naseeruddin Shah Anuradha Patel Ram Mohan Sulabha Deshpande Dina Pathak Shammi Kapoor Shashi Kapoor (s.p) producer = R.K. Gupta distributor =… … Wikipedia
The Very Best of Asha Bhosle, The Queen of Bollywood — Infobox Album | Name = The Very Best of Asha Bhosle, Queen of Bollywood Type = compilation Artist = Asha Bhosle Released =October 19, 2004 Recorded = Genre = World music Length = Label = Nascente Records Producer = Reviews = Last album = This… … Wikipedia
National Film Award for Best Female Playback Singer — The National Film Award (Silver Lotus Award) for Best Female Playback Singer winners are given below. Lata Mangeshkar is the oldest winner in this category, whereas Anjali Marathe is the youngest winner; while K. S. Chithra been awarded for the… … Wikipedia
Meend — In Hindustani music, meend (Hindi: मींड) refers to a glide from one note to another. It is an essential performance practice, and is used often in vocal and instrumental music. On the veena, sitar, and other plucked stringed instruments, it is … Wikipedia
National Film Award/Beste Playbacksängerin — Die Gewinner des National Film Award (Silver Lotus Award) der Kategorie Beste Playbacksängerin waren: Jahr Sängerin Song Film Sprache 2005 K. S. Chithra Ovvoru Pookalume Autograph Tamil 2004 Tarali Sarma Akashitorar Kothare … Deutsch Wikipedia
Mahinder — This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article. Mahinder may refer to: Mahinder Garh, usually written … Wikipedia
Asha Bhosle — Infobox Musical artist Name = Asha Bhosle Img capt = Img size = Landscape = Background = solo singer Birth name = Asha Mangeshkar Born = Birth date and age|1933|9|8 Sangli, Bombay Presidency, British India Origin = Instrument = Voice type = Genre … Wikipedia