- Member states of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation
The Organisation of Islamic Cooperation has 57 member states.
Member State Joined Notes Afghanistan 1969 Suspended 1980 - March 1989 Algeria 1969 Chad 1969 Egypt 1969 Suspended May 1979 - March 1984 Guinea 1969 Indonesia 1969 Iran 1969 Jordan 1969 Kuwait 1969 Lebanon 1969 Libya 1969 Malaysia 1969 Mali 1969 Mauritania 1969 Morocco 1969 Niger 1969 Pakistan 1969 Blocking India from membership Palestine 1969 Saudi Arabia 1969 Senegal 1969 Sudan 1969 Somalia 1969 Tunisia 1969 Turkey 1969 Yemen 1969 From 1990 as Republic of Yemen united with People's Democratic Republic of Yemen Bahrain 1970 Oman 1970 Qatar 1970 Syria 1970 United Arab Emirates 1970 Sierra Leone 1972 Bangladesh 1974 Pakistan recognized it as 2nd summit's main issue inviting Mujib ur Rehman to Lahore. Gabon 1974 Gambia 1974 Guinea-Bissau 1974 Uganda 1974 Burkina Faso 1975 Cameroon 1975 Comoros 1976 Iraq 1976 Maldives 1976 Djibouti 1978 Benin 1982 Brunei 1984 Nigeria 1986 Azerbaijan 1991 Albania 1992 Kyrgyzstan 1992 Tajikistan 1992 Turkmenistan 1992 Mozambique 1994 Kazakhstan 1995 Uzbekistan 1995 Suriname 1996 Togo 1997 Guyana 1998 Côte d'Ivoire 2001 Suspended or Withdrawn Zanzibar 1993 Withdrew August 1993 Observer States Bosnia and Herzegovina 1994 Central African Republic 1997 North Cyprus as 'Turkish Cypriot State' 1979 Designation changed in 2004 Thailand 1998 Russia 2005 Observer Muslim Organisations and Communities Moro National Liberation Front 1977 Blocking membership of the Philippines Observer Islamic institutions Parliamentary Union of the OIC Member States 2000 Islamic Conference Youth Forum for Dialogue and Cooperation 2005 Observer International Organisations League of Arab States 1975 United Nations 1976 Non-Aligned Movement 1977 Organisation of African Unity 1977 Economic Cooperation Organisation 1995
- South Africa (since 2002)
- India - India, which has the world's third largest Muslim population, has shown an interest in joining the OIC as an observer nation. While India's candidacy is supported by some OIC members including Saudi Arabia, Pakistan's strong opposition and threat to boycott the OIC have led to India's inclusion into the OIC being blocked. The Pakistan Foreign Office argued that India's inclusion in OIC would be against the rules of OIC, which state that an aspirant should not have an ongoing conflict with a member state.
- Philippines (since 2008) - The Philippine government has made attempts to join the OIC, but this is opposed by the Moro National Liberation Front, an OIC observer located in the Philippines. The MNLF claims that Philippine membership is unnecessary. In 2009, the country's bid has received stronger support and has been advocated by Indonesia, Iran, Malaysia, and the United Arab Emirates, among others.
- Sri Lanka (since 2008)
- Serbia (since 2008)
- Nepal (since 2008)
- Democratic Republic of Congo (since 2008)
- ^ The State of Palestine succeeded the seat of the Palestine Liberation Organization following the 1988 Palestinian Declaration of Independence.
- ^ OIC member states
- ^ OIC observers
- ^ The Turkish Cypriot community of Cyprus became an OIC “observer community” in 1979 under the name “Turkish Muslim community of Cyprus”. The 31st OIC Meeting of Foreign Ministers which met in Istanbul in June 2004, decided that the Turkish Cypriot Community (represented by the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus) will participate in the OIC meetings under the name envisaged in the Annan Plan for Cyprus (i.e. “Turkish Cypriot constituent state of the United Cyprus Republic” or Turkish Cypriot State in short). Cyprus and the Organization of Islamic Conferences
- ^ a b c d e f Applicants for OIC observer status
- ^ Mustafa El-Feki: http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2005/730/in1.htm An Indo-Arab blunder? Al-Ahram, February 17–23, 2005.
- ^ Observer status for India at OIC: King Abdullah Expressindia.com, January 22, 2006.
- ^ Pak disapproves Saudi king's comments on India's OIC entry Rediff News, January 23, 2006.
- ^ "RP nears observer status in OIC - DFA - INQUIRER.net, Philippine News for Filipinos". Globalnation.inquirer.net. 2009-05-26. http://globalnation.inquirer.net/news/news/view/20090526-207265/RP-nears-observer-status-in-OIC----DFA. Retrieved 2011-03-25.
- ^ "EZ2 Lotto Luzon | The Manila Bulletin Newspaper Online". Mb.com.ph. 2009-04-15. http://www.mb.com.ph/node/202546. Retrieved 2011-03-25.
- ^ "RP closer to becoming observer-state in Organization of Islamic Conference | Home >> The Filipino Global Community >> Philippines". Philstar.com. 2009-05-29. http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=472375&publicationSubCategoryId=205. Retrieved 2011-03-25.
- ^ "DFA: ‘Technicalities’ blocking RP bid for OIC observer status - Nation - GMA News Online - Latest Philippine News". Gmanews.tv. http://www.gmanews.tv/story/162925/DFA-Technicalities-blocking-RP-bid-for-OIC-observer-status. Retrieved 2011-03-25.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Pakistan and the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation — Flag of Pakistan Logo of the Organisation of Islamic Coopera … Wikipedia
Organisation of Islamic Cooperation — OIC redirects here. For other uses, see OIC (disambiguation). Organisation of Islamic Cooperation … Wikipedia
Member states of the Arab League — See also: Enlargement of the Arab League The Arab League has 22 member states. Joining dates of member states; the Comoros (circled) joined in 1993. 40s … Wikipedia
The Gambia — Gambia redirects here. For the river, see Gambia River. Republic of The Gambia … Wikipedia
Organisation of the Islamic Conference — Infobox Geopolitical organization name = Collapsible list title = Organization of the Islamic Conference ar. منظمة المؤتمر الإسلامي ar icon fr. Organization de la Conférence Islamique fr icon linking name = the Organization of the Islamic… … Wikipedia
Islamic University of Technology — Infobox University name = Islamic University of Technology native name = image size = 150px caption = latin name = motto = tagline = established = 27 March 1981 Opened: 14 July 1988 type = International endowment = staff = 201 faculty = president … Wikipedia
Islamic Dawa Party — حزب الدعوة الإسلامية Leader Nouri al Maliki … Wikipedia
Islamic Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization — (ISESCO) was established by the Organisation of the Islamic Conference (OIC) in May 1979. ISESCO is one of the largest international Islamic organizations and specializes in the fields of education, science, and culture. Its headquarters are in… … Wikipedia
Islamic Republic News Agency — Infobox Company company name = Islamic Republic News Agency company type = State funded company logo =| company slogan = foundation = 1981 location = Tehran, Iran key people = Mohammad Khademol Melleh (Managing Director) num employees = unknown | … Wikipedia
List of states with limited recognition — Not recognised by any state … Wikipedia