- Bike paths in Melbourne
Bike paths in and around the city of Melbourne have developed since the campaigns of Bicycle Victoria in the mid 1970s. Since then, with increased recognition from all levels of government of the benefit of cycling activities, Melbourne today has a comprehensive set of shared bicycle trails along its river and creek systems, next to its freeways and along its train lines.
The length of the trails in Melbourne, as of 2007, totals at least 670 km. It is possible to cycle from Werribee in the west to Research in the east (approx 62 km) and Craigieburn in the north and Seaford in the south (about 78 km) and points in between and only have to travel on the occasional piece of road. Often passing through relaxed park surrounds, cycling on many of Melbourne's bike paths can feel like a day out in the country despite remaining within metropolitan Melbourne. Melbourne's bike paths are often easily accessed from its train system.
In 2006 VicRoads installed bicycle counters on the trails, at seventeen locations throughout inner Melbourne. These counters are providing hard data on the usage of Melbourne's trails. For example: the Anniversary Outer Circle Trail at Cotham Rd Kew, has about 20 cyclists per hour throughout the day, whereas the Yarra River Trail, north side of Morell Bridge, has a distinct peak hour rate of about 250/hr and 50/hr in non-peak periods. This supports the casual observation that the former is used mainly for recreation and the latter for recreation and commuting.
Bike paths along freeways
A number of freeways have been constructed with dedicated separate bicycle paths built alongside, although the CityLink tollway system was built without including provision for cyclists along several sections including the Bolte Bridge. Cyclists are also excluded from riding the West Gate Freeway over the West Gate Bridge, although exceptions are made for some special bicycle events like Around the Bay in a Day organised by Bicycle Victoria.
In December 2008 the Victorian State Government released their Victorian Transport Plan which budgeted $100 million for cycling over 12 years.
Development of the network is hampered by the number of agencies that may be involved when a new path is proposed. Such agencies could include VicRoads, VicTrack, Parks Victoria, Melbourne Water and the local Councils. The network is clearly fragmented along Council boundaries. Some examples would include:
- the St Georges Rd Trail at the boundary of Darebin and Whittlesea
- the Gardiners Creek gap at the boundary of Boroondara, Stonnington and Monash
- the termination of the East Malvern Station to Centre Rd Trail at the boundary of Monash and Kingston
- Cycling in Melbourne
- Category:Bike paths in Melbourne
- Cycling in Victoria
- Bicycle Victoria
- Category:Rail trails in Australia
- ^ VicRoads - Bicycle Facilities Map
- ^ Melbourne and Geelong's shared paths in Google Maps
- ^ Melbourne and Geelong's shared paths in Google Earth
- ^ "VicRoads bicycle counters - Google Maps". maps.google.com. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://www.bigyak.net.au/vicbiketrails/kml/vrcounters.kml. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
- ^ "VicRoads: Cycling Data and Statistics". www.vicroads.vic.gov.au. http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/BicyclesPedestrians/DevelopingBicycleNetworks/CyclingDataAndStatistics.htm. Retrieved 2008-07-14. [dead link]
- ^ "Have helmet, bell, two wheels — will commute". The Age. www.theage.com.au. March 12, 2006. http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/have-helmet-bell-two-wheels-151-will-commute/2006/03/11/1141701735302.html. Retrieved 2008-07-14.
- ^ Linking People and Spaces (2002)
- Bike paths guide - sample information based on published book
- VicRoads - Principle Bicycle Network
- Melbourne bike routes @ bikely.com
- Where to Ride Melbourne cycling guide book
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Cycling in Melbourne — Cycling: Victoria, Australia Organisations Bicycle Victoria Melbourne Critical Mass Events Around the Bay in a Day Austral Wheel Race Amy s Ride Great Victorian Bike Ride Great Ocean … Wikipedia
Culture of Melbourne — The Shrine of Remembrance is an important cultural landmark. Melbourne s largest war memorial built from money raised by public contributions … Wikipedia
Quest Alphington Melbourne (Melbourne) — Quest Alphington Melbourne country: Australia, city: Melbourne (Alphington) Quest Alphington Melbourne Quest Alphington is located in a quiet residential area close to a major shopping centre and only 8 kilometres from the city centre.… … International hotels
Transport in Melbourne — Australia portal … Wikipedia
Westerfolds Park, Melbourne — MelbourneParks park= Westerfolds Park image size= 250px caption= Map of Westerfolds Park type=Public Park location= Melbourne, Australia coordinates= size=123 hectares opened= 1977 operator= Parks Victoria visitors= status=Open (8:30am 9pm)… … Wikipedia
Birrarung Marr, Melbourne — MelbourneParks park= Birrarung Marr image size= caption= Pedestrian bridge in Birrarung Marr type= location= Melbourne, Australia coordinates= size= 8 hectares (20 acres) opened= 2002 operator= City of Melbourne visitors= status= landscape=… … Wikipedia
List of Florida paved bike trails — This is a list of Florida paved bike trails. Included in the list are cities that have won awards from the League of American Bicyclists as being a [http://www.bicyclefriendlycommunity.org/ Bicycle Friendly Community.] Florida Bicycle Friendly… … Wikipedia
Kew railway line, Melbourne — VictorianRailwayLineInfobox type = mel name = Kew yearcommenced = yearopened = 19 December 1887 yearcompleted = yearclosed = 13 May 1957 fate = Parkland, VicRoads offices lengthkm = stations = Barker and Kew tracks = Single track users =… … Wikipedia
Main Yarra Trail — The Yarra River, as seen from Kanes Bridge, near the Studley Park boathouse. Yarra Trail Length About 38km from Princes Bridge to Mullum Mullum Creek Trail Difficulty Easy to medium … Wikipedia
Maribyrnong River Trail — View of city skyline and the Maribyrnong River Trail in Footscray Maribyrnong River Trail Length 25km Brimbank Park to Footscray Road Difficulty Mostly easy Hills … Wikipedia