Alan McLeod McCulloch
Alan (McLeod) McCulloch (b. 5 August 1907 at St Kilda, Victoria, Australia. d. 21 December 1992, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia) was one of Australia's foremost art critics for more than 60 years , art historian and gallery director, also cartoonist and painter.
Born in Melbourne and brought up in Sydney, returning to Melbourne as a teenager, he initially worked in banking but enrolled in night classes at art school to pursue his developing art interest. He wrote journalism and art criticism and cartoons for Australian newspapers from 1927. In 1946 he moved to America where, in 1948, he married Ella Bromley Moscovitz (1908–1991) an Australian-born actress, businesswoman and US citizen. They remained together until her death in 1991. After a period in Europe and the UK (1946–1950) the couple returned to Australia to live in Victoria's Mornington Peninsula.
He was art critic for the Argus in 1944-47 and after the war became art editor of the Australasian Post, to which he also contributed cartoons. In 1951 he became an associate editor for Meanjin (until 1963), and art critic on the Melbourne Herald, Melbourne, 1952–1982.
He held several solo exhibitions of his paintings and drawings in London and Melbourne.
As a curator, in 1965, he assembled an exhibition of Aboriginal Bark Paintings from the Chaseling and Cahill collections from the Museum of Victoria to tour to the USA (Houston Fine Art Gallery, Texas).
He was the inaugural director (1970–1992) of the Mornington Peninsula Regional Gallery, established in 1969 by the Mornington Shire, and it was under his leadership that the MPRG began developing a specialist collection of Australian prints and drawings.
He was curator of The Heroic Years of Australian Art 1977–78 touring exhibition.
The Encyclopedia of Australian Art
In 1968 he published his most significant work, The Encyclopedia of Australian Art, which started as a scrapbook of cuttings kept since the 1940s, and which became the main reference for connoisseurs, collectors, dealers, critics and historians of Australian art. He was its sole author for several updates and reprints and a completely new edition in 1984, then was joined by his daughter Susan McCulloch in 1990, who co-edited for its 1994 edition. In that, McCulloch's personal note (one was included in each edition) was the last thing he wrote, just two weeks before he died. In it he says, "As with electricity we know what art does but we don't know what it is." He then quotes the compiler of The Oxford Dictionary as saying: "The word 'art' gave me more trouble than any other word in the English language.". His daughter Susan and his granddaughter Emily McCulloch Childs continue work on the Encyclopedia into the third generation, using the criteria established by Alan McCulloch in 1968; artists are chosen for inclusion if their work is represented by major purchases in a national, state, or regional gallery or if they have won a significant prize. The Encyclopedia is now in its 4th edition, which was recently reported by The Age newspaper as having almost completely sold out.
Order of Australia. Honorary doctorate from Melbourne University. Emeritus Medal, Australia Council.
Collections holding works by Alan McCulloch
National Gallery of Australia, Canberra, ACT; Australian War Memorial, Canberra, ACT; National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne, Victoria; Mornington Peninsula Art Centre, Victoria; Art Gallery of Western Australia, Perth, WA
- McCulloch, Alan, McCulloch, Susan & McCulloch Childs, Emily. McCulloch's Encyclopedia of Australian Art. 2006 Fitzroy, VIC : Aus Art Editions (4th revised edition)
- McCulloch, Alan; & McCulloch, Susan. Encyclopedia of Australian art. 1994 St Leonards, NSW : Allen & Unwin (3rd revised edition)
- McCulloch, Alan. The Golden Age of Australian Painting: Impressionism and the Heidelberg School
- McCulloch, Alan. Artists of the Australian Gold Rush.
Illustrated and written by McCulloch
- McCulloch, Alan.So This Was The Spot (Melbourne, 1934)
- McCulloch, Alan. Trial by Tandem, (1951)
- McCulloch, Alan. Highway Forty, (1952)
Notes and references
- ^ critic Christopher Heathcote in The Age wrote in his obituary (22 December 1992): 'Alan McCulloch was one of the great supporters of Modern Australian art. For more than 30 years he attempted to foster advanced painting and sculpture....The contemporary art scene as we know it doday would not have developed without his resolute dedication to contemprary Australian culture...His writing may not have been cocerned with complex ideas but this quiet and gentle man was arguably the most influential art critic to have practised in this country.'
- ^ Lindesay, Vane. The inked-in image : a social and historical survey of Australian comic art. 1979 Richmond, Vic : Hutchinson of Australia (new edition)
- ^ Voss Smith [...] had strong ties with England where he had gone to live in the early 1960s, returning to Australia in 1969, when he established Christie's [art auction house]. Voss Smith had been the Australian representative for Hutchinson publishers and in this capacity was instrumental in convincing his London office to publish Alan McCulloch's mammoth Encyclopedia of Australian Art in 1968. (from Huda, Shireen Amber. Pedigree and Panache: A History of the Art Auction in Australia. Canberra : ANU E Press, 2008. ISBN 978-1-921313-71-4)
- ^ Peter Hill, Reviewer, The Age November 10, 2006
Entry in The Dictionary of Australian Artists Online 
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
McCulloch — may refer to: A surname shared by the following people: Alan McCulloch, New Zealand politician Alan McLeod McCulloch (1907–1992), Australian cartoonist, painter, writer, art critic, art historian and gallery director Alan Riverstone McCulloch… … Wikipedia
Liste der Biografien/Mc — Biografien: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q … Deutsch Wikipedia
Liste de zoologistes — Attention, il n est pas d usage en zoologie d utiliser d abréviation pour les noms des auteurs (contrairement aux usages de la botanique, voir ici). Cette liste ne constitue pas une liste officielle. Nous attirons l attention du lecteur sur son… … Wikipédia en Français
List of Fellows of the Australian Academy of Science — The Fellowship of the Australian Academy of Science is made up of about 350 Australian scientists. Scientists judged by their peers to have made an exceptional contribution to knowledge in their field, may be elected to Fellowship of the Academy … Wikipedia
Список общепринятых сокращений фамилий зоологов — … Википедия
Grand Prix 2007 (snooker) — The 2007 Royal London Watches Grand Prix snooker tournament was held between 13 October and 21 October 2007 at the Aberdeen Exhibition and Conference Centre. Qualifying was held between 17 September and 23 September 2007 at Pontin s Prestatyn.… … Wikipedia
2008 Northern Ireland Trophy — Northern Ireland Trophy Tournament information Dates 24–31 August 2008 Venue Waterfront Hall City Belfast Country Northern Ireland … Wikipedia
Championnat du Royaume-Uni de snooker 2008 — Maplin UK Championship Dates Du 13 au 21 décembre 2008 Pays Angleterre Ville Telford Lieu Telford International Centre Organisation(s) WPBSA Format Ranking event Prix total £625,000 Prix du vainqueur £100 … Wikipédia en Français
Membres De L'Ordre Du Canada, Par Ordre Alphabétique M — Listes des Membres de l ordre du Canada A B C D E F G H I J K … Wikipédia en Français
Membres de l'ordre du Canada, par ordre alphabétique M — Listes des Membres de l ordre du Canada A B C D E F G H I J K L M … Wikipédia en Français