- Tablet PC Input Panel
Tablet PC Input Panel
A component of Microsoft Windows
Details Included with Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, Windows Vista and onwards
The Tablet PC Input Panel is an accessory included in Microsoft Windows that allows input of text using a pen and digitizing tablet, touch screen, an on-screen soft keyboard or mouse. It performs handwriting recognition and converts handwriting into text for use in most non-full-screen Windows applications. It was included first in Windows XP Tablet PC Edition and is included in subsequent client versions of Microsoft Windows.
Tablet PC Input Panel Handwriting Tablet PC Input Panel Character Recognition
- Users can use a writing pad or soft keyboard to convert handwriting to text. The writing pad recognises single characters, entire words and shortcut strokes or gestures. The Tablet PC Input Panel also supports AutoComplete in Windows Vista and later.
- The Tablet PC Input Panel can be docked to the top or bottom of the screen or floating.
- The integrated handwriting recognition features can recognize print, cursive, or mixed writing. Accuracy can be increased by configuring the recognizer to expect left-handed writing or right-handed writing. For Windows XP Tablet PC Edition which does not support all languages out of the box, recognition in a variety of languages is available with the install of a recognizer pack. Windows Vista and Windows 7 users can get additional language support for handwriting recognition by installing the respective MUI pack (also called language pack).
- The soft keyboard supports viewing the keyboard layout of the selected input language chosen from the language bar. Windows XP users need to install the Tablet PC Recognizer Pack to support switching of the soft keyboard to the default input language. 
- Handwriting recognition accuracy can be improved by training using the handwriting recognition personalization tool.
- Windows 7 improves the Tablet PC Input Panel to make faster corrections, supports text prediction in the soft keyboard and introduces a new Math Input Panel for inputting math into programs that support MathML. It recognizes handwritten math expressions and formulas.
When first introduced, Tablet PC Input Panel was only included with the Windows XP Tablet PC Edition of Windows XP and had limited application text entry support. Windows XP Service Pack 2 for Windows XP Tablet PC Edition, which was incorporated into Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, brought improved handwriting recognition and allowed the Tablet PC Input Panel to be used in almost every application. The Tablet PC Input Panel was also revised to extend speech recognition services (input and correction) to other applications.
With the release of Windows Vista, the Tablet PC Input Panel is built into all editions of Windows Vista with the exception of Home Basic and Starter editions. The speech recognition features were moved into Windows Speech Recognition.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Soft Input Panel — The Soft Input Panel (also called SIP) is a special on screen input method for devices which do not have standard keyboards. SIP is commonly used in PocketPC and Tablet PC devices, where there is no room for keyboard. In Windows there is a… … Wikipedia
Tablet PC — A Tablet PC is a notebook or slate shaped mobile computer, equipped with a touchscreen or graphics tablet/screen hybrid technology which allows the user to operate the computer with a stylus or digital pen, or a fingertip, instead of a keyboard… … Wikipedia
tablet computer — noun a portable computer, that uses an integral combination flat panel display screen / graphics tablet or touch screen/graphics tablet for primary input and primary display, the size of a notebook computer. Syn: tablet, tablet notebook, tablet… … Wiktionary
Microsoft Tablet PC — HP Compaq tablet PC with rotating/removable keyboard A Microsoft Tablet PC is a term coined by Microsoft for tablet computers conforming to a set of specifications announced in 2001 by Microsoft, for a pen enabled personal computer, conforming to … Wikipedia
List of Control Panel applets — The applets listed below are components of the Microsoft Windows control panel, which allows users to define a range of settings for their computer, monitor the status of devices such as printers and modems, and set up new hardware, programs and… … Wikipedia
Adam tablet — Manufacturer Notion Ink Release date 21 Jan 2011 Operating system Android 3.0.1 CPU 1 GHz, dual core ARM Cortex A9 … Wikipedia
Windows XP editions — This article is part of a series on Windows XP New features Releases and editions (x64 · Media Center) Development history … Wikipedia
Features new to Windows Vista — This article is part of a series on Windows Vista New features Overview Technical and core system Security and safety Networking technologies I/O technologies Management and administration Removed features … Wikipedia
Windows XP — Windows Experience redirects here. For Windows Experience Index, see Windows System Assessment Tool. Windows XP Part of the Microsoft Windows family … Wikipedia
Taskbar — In computing, a taskbar is a bar displayed on a full edge of a GUI desktop that is used to launch and monitor running applications. Microsoft incorporated a taskbar in Windows 95 and it has been a defining aspect of Microsoft Windows s graphical… … Wikipedia