Material ConneXion is a global materials consultancy that aims to help companies source advanced materials to enhance the performance, aesthetics and sustainability of their projects. The company is headquartered in New York City and was founded founded in 1997 by George M. Beylerian. In addition to its New York office, the company has locations in Bangkok, Cologne, Daegu, Istanbul and Milan, and also maintains an online materials database. In May 2011, Material ConneXion announced that it would be opening 10 materials libraries throughout China by 2017. The company's first location in China will open in Beijing in 2011, followed by offices in Shanghai and Guangzhou in 2012.
Material ConneXion maintains one of the largest physical libraries of advanced, innovative and sustainable materials and processes in the world. The company relies on an independent jury of design practitioners to help it determine whether a new material or process is worthy of inclusion. All of the materials in its collection are categorized based on their chemical composition: Polymers, Naturals, Metals, Glass, Process, Ceramics, Cement-based, Carbon-based.
Work and reception
Material ConneXion was named a “Top Eco-Innovator” by The New York Times in 2007, recognized for its efforts to make information on sustainable materials and sustainable design practices more readily available to designers and corporations. Material ConneXion's consulting work and Materials Library has led to the development and improvement of consumer products, architecture, packaging, interiors and numerous other design-related projects. The company's clients have included design and architecture firms, government agencies, and large corporations such as Adidas, Target Corporation, PUMA, and BMW.
In 2001, designer Sandy Chilewich discovered a woven vinyl material in Material ConneXion's library that led to her Chilewich brand of household products and accessories. The company also worked with designer Harry Allen to find a sustainable, low-cost, post-industrial polypropylene packaging material for Aveda’s award-winning Ukuru line of cosmetics. In 2004, Material ConneXion helped Nike source a monofilament sleeving normally used to protect PVC pipes from bursting for use in its Air Jordan XIX.
Through its recent partnership with McDonough Braungart Design Chemistry (MBDC) and the Environmental Protection and Encouragement Agency (EPEA), Material ConneXion is the only Materials Library in the world to feature Cradle to Cradle assessed and certified materials and the only materials consultancy to offer Cradle to Cradle Certification and Cradle to Cradle product development.
Material ConneXion’s vice president of materials research, Dr. Andrew H. Dent, recently[when?] wrote the bi-monthly ‘About Materials Innovation’ column for BusinessWeek and is a frequent speaker on topics related to sustainability and design.
Material ConneXion published its first book, Material ConneXion: The Global Resource of New and Innovative Materials for Architects, Artists and Designers in 2005, followed by its second, Ultra Materials: How Materials Innovation is Changing the World (Thames & Hudson) in 2007.
- ^ Rohrlich, Marianne (1996-10-24). "The New York Times,"Fabrics spun from cork, steel and (gasp) polyester"". Nytimes.com. http://www.nytimes.com/1996/10/24/garden/fabrics-spun-from-cork-steel-and-gasp-polyester.html?scp=25&sq=%22material+connexion&st=nyt. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- ^ http://www.dexigner.com/news/23120
- ^ "Fast Company,"Matter"". Fastcompany.com. 2007-12-19. http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/119/matter.html. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- ^ a b "FLYP, "Material Evidence"". Flypmedia.com. 2008-10-23. http://www.flypmedia.com/content/material-evidence. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- ^ "The New York Times, "The Eco-Innovators"". Nytimes.com. 2007-05-20. http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2007/05/20/magazine/20070520_ECOINNO_SLIDESHOW_2.html. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- ^ "Interior Design,"Material ConneXion Taps into the Philippines"". Interiordesign.net. 2006-04-19. http://www.interiordesign.net/article/CA6325752.html. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- ^ a b "WWD,"Making a ConneXion"". Accessmylibrary.com. 2002-08-13. http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-26470246_ITM. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- ^ http://catalystsdr.com/2010/06/the-future-of-design-business-and-sustainability/
- ^ Leland, John (2002-03-14). "The New York Times,"The Guru of Goo (And Gels, Mesh and Resin)"". Nytimes.com. http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/14/garden/the-guru-of-goo-and-gels-mesh-and-resin.html?pagewanted=2. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- ^ Finn, Bridget (2004-10-01). "CNN Money". Money.cnn.com. http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/business2_archive/2004/10/01/8186698/index.htm. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- ^ Jana, Reena (2007-09-19). "BusinessWeek". BusinessWeek. http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/sep2007/id20070919_689774.htm. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- ^ "BusinessWeek, "About Materials Innovation"". Businessweek.com. 2008-01-28. http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/jan2008/id20080128_385339.htm. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- ^ "Plastics News". Plastics News. http://www.plasticsnews.com/headlines2.html?id=17304. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
- ^ Harry (2007-11-11). "Mocoloco". Mocoloco. http://mocoloco.com/archives/004780.php. Retrieved 2009-12-28.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Legendary material in Christian hagiography — While from its early days Christian hagiography recognized some distinction between the mythical and the historical in the lives of saints and martyrs, the more precise conception of legendary material in hagiography belongs to the religious… … Wikipedia
Cradle-to-cradle design — For the book, see Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things. Cradle to cradle design (sometimes abbreviated to C2C, or cradle 2 cradle, or in some circles referred to as regenerative) is a biomimetic approach to the design of systems. It… … Wikipedia
Air Jordan — Not to be confused with Jordanian Airlines. The Jumpman logo is used by Nike to promote the Air Jordan brand. Air Jordan(s), also known simply as Jordans, are a brand of shoes and athletic apparel produced by Nike originally designed for and… … Wikipedia
David Rockwell — is an American architect and designer, who is the founder and CEO of Rockwell Group, based in New York with satellite offices in Madrid and Dubai. Rockwell has long been fascinated with immersive environments. Contents 1 Early life and education… … Wikipedia
Velcro — hooks Velcro loops Velcro is the brand name of the first commercially marketed fabric hook and loop fastener … Wikipedia
History of English land law — Material here has been extracted from the 1911 Britannica encyclopedia. The history of English land law derives from a mixture of Roman, Norman and modern legislative sources.OutlineSuch terms as fee or homage carry us back into feudal times.… … Wikipedia
Sacrifice — • This term is identical with the English offering (Latin offerre) and the German Opfer Catholic Encyclopedia. Kevin Knight. 2006. Sacrifice Sacrifice … Catholic encyclopedia
Church History — Ecclesiastical History † Catholic Encyclopedia ► Ecclesiastical History I. NATURE AND OFFICE Ecclesiastical history is the scientific investigation and the methodical description of the temporal development of the Church… … Catholic encyclopedia
History of Physics — History of Physics † Catholic Encyclopedia ► History of Physics The subject will be treated under the following heads: I. A Glance at Ancient Physics; II. Science and Early Christian Scholars; III. A Glance at Arabian Physics; IV.… … Catholic encyclopedia
Literary or Profane Legends — Literary or Profane Legends † Catholic Encyclopedia ► Literary or Profane Legends In the period of national origins history and legend are inextricably mingled. In the course of oral transmission historic narrative necessarily becomes … Catholic encyclopedia