MK One Former type Limited Industry Fashion retail Fate Administration; many stores bought by Internacionale Founded 1970s Founder(s) Mark Brafman Defunct 2009 Headquarters Acton, London (HQ) Number of locations 125 (pre-Internacionale takeover) Area served United Kingdom Products Clothing (principally ladies') Owner(s) Internacionale Retail Employees 800 (approx) (2,500 May 2008)
Beginnings as Mark One
The company was founded by in the 1980s by Mark Brafman, Les Lucy and Alan Simons as Mark One, and became a discount womenswear retailer. In February 1996 Mark One was bought from administration by billionaire Philip Green, owner of BHS. Shami Ahmed had also made a failed bid for the company in 1996. In the 2000s, a change to the firm's logo saw the firm's name begin to be commonly spelt as "MK One". In 2003 Green sold most of stake in MK One, whilst keeping 10%, to Elaine McPherson, the managing director, and David Thompson, the finance director.
Sale to Baugur
In November 2004, the 177 store MK One chain was bought by the Icelandic group Baugur for £55 million (this included £11 million worth of debts); in February 2009 Baugur itself entered the equivalent of administration. Les Johnston became chief executive, and Andy Hall became finance director. Johnston and Hall took a 20% stake in the chain, while Baugur, had a 41% shareholding. The banks Landsbanki and Barclays provided debt, taking 36% of Mk One. Avar, a consulting firm, took 3%. McPherson and Thompson left the group. Baugur had planned to expand to chain to around 450 stores. In 2007 the company made losses of £17.4 million.
Sale to Hilco, administration and sale to Brafman
In May 2008, a majority stake in the 170 store company was sold to Hilco, a restructuring specialist. Three weeks later in May, Hilco appointed Deloitte as administrators, to find a buyer for MK One. The company was sold from administration back to Mark Brafman, its founder, via Jet Star Retail. Bali Singh took over as boss when Brafman left in October, and Singh tried to acquire more funds to allow the business to continue. One of the company's suppliers, which had not been paid, started the bankruptcy proceedings. Around 60 of the stores were closed.
Administration and sale to Internacionale Retail
Deloitte continued to act for MK One’s original lenders, but was forced to place MK One into administration with Leonard Curtis. On 20 November, the 125 store chain entered administration, putting 1,400 jobs at risk. Leonard Curtis said that there had been a number of expressions of interest for the company.
On 25 November, 80 stores were sold by administrators (Neil Bennett of Leonard Curtis) to Internacionale Retail. 45 stores closed, but around 800 jobs saved. The Indian textiles group S Kumars Nationwide purchased Glasgow-based Internacionale earlier in 2008. The head office in Acton, west London, was closed. By May 2009 all Mk One stores that were purchased by Internacionale had been rebranded under that firm's name.
- ^ "Lionheart who just keeps on truckin'". Yorkshire Post. 2006-02-26. http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/1299/Lionheart-who-just-keeps-on.1359376.jp. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- ^ "£50m buyout at Mk One". This is Money. 2003-07-13. http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=332544&in_page_id=2&in_a_source=. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- ^ Mesure, Susie (2004-11-15). "Baugur to expand Mk One chain after £55m purchase". London: The Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/baugur-to-expand-mk-one-chain-after-pound55m-purchase-533302.html. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- ^ "Hamleys investor seeks protection". BBC News. 2009-02-04. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7869342.stm. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- ^ Hawkes, Steve (2008-05-02). "Baugur sells high street fashion chain MK One". London: The Times. http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/retailing/article3857622.ece. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- ^ Lynam, Joe (2008-05-02). "Invoice worries as MK One is sold". BBC News. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7380709.stm. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- ^ Hawkes, Steve; Thompson, Susan (2008-05-21). "MK One falls into administration weeks after sale". London: The Times. http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/retailing/article3981138.ece. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- ^ Thompson, James (2008-10-28). "Mark One founder sells fashion retailer months after rescue". London: The Independent. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/mark-one-founder-sells-fashion-retailer-months-after-rescue-978578.html. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- ^ Power, Helen (2008-11-21). "Christmas cancelled at MK One as it collapses". London: The Times. http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/retailing/article5201764.ece. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- ^ Lea, Robert (2008-11-25). "MK One stores sale saves 800 jobs". London: The Daily Mail. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1089332/MK-One-stores-sale-saves-800-jobs.html. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- ^ Internacionale company profile, including reference to takeover of Mk One stores
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
One Life to Live — Title card (2004–present) Genre Soap opera Created by Agnes Nixon … Wikipedia
One Big Union (concept) — The One Big Union is a concept which emerged in the late 19th and early 20th centuries amongst working class trade unionists. Unions initially organised as craft or trade unions. Workers were organized by their skill: carpenters, plumbers,… … Wikipedia
One Piece — redirects here. For the clothing, see One piece swimsuit. One Piece First volume of One Piece, released in Japan by Shueisha on December 24, 1997 ONE PIEC … Wikipedia
One Tree Hill (TV series) — One Tree Hill Intertitle, seasons 1–4; 8 Genre Drama, Sports Format Teen drama … Wikipedia
One Sweet Day — Single by Mariah Carey Boyz II Men from the album Daydream Released November 14, 1995 … Wikipedia
One Piece — ワンピース (Wanpīsu) Type Shōnen Genre Nekketsu Thèmes … Wikipédia en Français
One Piece — ワンピース (Wan Pīsu) Género Aventura, Comedia dramática, Acción Manga Creado por Eiichirō Oda … Wikipedia Español
One Love (álbum de David Guetta) — One Love Álbum de estudio de David Guetta Publicación … Wikipedia Español
One Piece — Обложка первого тома «One Piece». ワンピース (Ван Пису) Жанр приключения, комедия … Википедия
One: Kagayaku Kisetsu e — original visual novel cover. One ～輝く季節へ～ Genre … Wikipedia
One and One (song) — One and One Single by Robert Miles featuring Maria Nayler from the album Dreamland … Wikipedia