Manda Best A promotional photograph of Manda Best EastEnders character Portrayed by Josie Lawrence Introduced by Diederick Santer Duration 2009–10 First appearance 6 March 2009 Last appearance 12 February 2010 Classification Former; regular Profile Date of birth 1961 Occupation Pottery teacher Family Sons Adam Best
Amanda "Manda" Best is a fictional character from the BBC soap opera EastEnders, played by Josie Lawrence. Manda was introduced by executive producer Diederick Santer, and made her first appearance on 6 March 2009.
The character was given a backstory linking her to two characters already established in the serial; she is an ex-girlfriend of Phil Mitchell (Steve McFadden) and an old friend of Minty Peterson (Cliff Parisi). Manda was paired romantically with Minty. Her family was extended when her disabled son, Adam Best (David Proud), who suffers from spina bifida, was introduced. David's introduction was scripted to cause discontent in Manda and Minty's relationship, David taking an instant dislike to Minty. It was announced in November 2009 that Lawrence had quit EastEnders as she wanted to pursue other projects. Manda made her final appearance on 12 February 2010, having ended her relationship with Minty.
Lawrence revealed Manda's backstory in an interview on the official EastEnders website: "Manda Best lived in the Square over 20 years ago—she went out with Phil [Mitchell] and knew Minty [Peterson]. She got married and left the area, but she's been divorced for five years. I don't think it was a very happy marriage—he was a bit of a philanderer. After the divorce she decided to reinvent herself. She's taken a course in teaching pottery and art and she's made life better for herself by becoming more spiritual."
Manda first appears at Walford's community centre, where she is teaching a pottery class. There she meets her old acquaintance Minty Peterson (Cliff Parisi). Minty reveals that while Manda was dating his friend Phil Mitchell (Steve McFadden) years ago, he secretly used to hate her. However, they settle their differences and soon start dating. But the pace of the relationship is slow, and Minty wonders if Manda is really interested in him. In July 2009, Minty sees Manda kissing Phil. He reluctantly confronts her, and she explains that she was thanking Phil for allowing Minty a day off work (she was planning a secret trip to the theatre for Minty). Manda also assures him that she will never cheat on him.
Manda's landlord evicts her from her flat, and after Garry Hobbs (Ricky Groves) and Dawn Swann (Kara Tointon) leave Walford, she moves into Minty's residence with her cat. Manda's son Adam Best (David Proud) comes to stay in September 2009, and he takes an instant dislike to Minty. After Adam returns to Oxford University, Manda tries to explain her son's hostility by saying he is over-protective. Minty responds by telling Manda that Adam is arrogant and rude, and he does not appreciate being treated like that in his own home. The pair make up, however, with Manda promising that Adam will be nicer in future.
Manda discovers that Darren Miller (Charlie G. Hawkins) is secretly the father of Heather Trott (Cheryl Fergison)'s baby George, but agrees to keep it to herself. When the secret is revealed, Minty is angry with her for not telling him, as he was once married to Heather. They make up, but then Manda finds out that Minty has been hiding Sam Mitchell (Daniella Westbrook), a fugitive, from the police. Adam tries to cause trouble, saying that Minty fantasises about Sam, but Manda accepts Minty's explanation that he and Sam are merely friends; Sam is imprisoned shortly after.
When Minty starts disappearing regularly without saying where he is going, Manda suspects he is having an affair. Adam finds a letter Sam sent Minty from prison, and it transpires Minty is visiting Sam. When Manda confronts Minty about this, he admits to having feelings for Sam but wants to spend his future with Manda. Believing Minty does not love her, Manda pretends that she still has feelings for Phil and ends her relationship with Minty, leaving Walford. Several months later, Adam tells Minty that Manda is dating another man.
Creation and development
Creation and introduction
In January 2009, it was announced that comedienne Lawrence would join EastEnders playing Manda Best, a character who had grown up in Walford and knew Phil and Minty over 20 years before moving back. She joined the show for a specific storyline involving Phil and Minty, however, a source at the BBC told entertainment website Digital Spy that "there are plenty of potential storyline opportunities for her to able to stick around." EastEnders' executive producer Diederick Santer said of Lawrence's casting, "I'm so excited Josie's joining us. I've enjoyed her brilliant comic performances for over 20 years, and can't wait to see her in Walford." Lawrence said of her role, "I'm so excited. Everyone at EastEnders has made me feel so at home. It's mind-boggling to walk into Albert Square after having watched the show for so many years! I can't wait to see how my character develops on screen." She made her first appearance on 6 March 2009. When asked about Manda's future, Lawrence said, "It's weird playing a part when you don't know what happens to the character. I could ride off on my bike into the sunset, but grisly ends are much more fun." Later in June 2009, Manda's son Adam joined the show, played by David Proud. Adam has spina bifida and uses a wheelchair.
Lawrence described Manda as "Loving, strange (in a good way) and creative". Lawrence based Manda's "new age" side on a couple of her friends who were into yoga and breathing relaxation techniques, saying, "there's a couple of times when you see Manda take a deep breath when she is getting irate." The BBC described Manda as "charismatic"; the EastEnders website called her "creative, vivacious and always up for a laugh" and suggesting that "underneath her merry exterior", Manda might have been "longing for love". The website goes on to say: "Bubbly, free-spirit Manda Best is well connected with her spiritual side and is a firm believer in solving life's problems through hugging. She is loving, creative and independent, but secretly yearns to meet that 'Mr Right'." The Sunday Mirror described Manda as "crazed" and "mad". Manda typically wore "hippy dresses" and large glasses.
Lawrence decided to quit the show at the end of her initial contract, saying that she enjoyed her time on the show but asked to leave as she liked having variety in her career. She said, "It has been an amazing year at EastEnders and I have made some fantastic friends among both the cast and crew. I am somebody who likes to do a variety of different projects, and now seems the right time to move on." She said that she wanted to leave EastEnders with a "bang", but writers did not have time to come up with a good exit storyline as they were busy working on the "Who Killed Archie?" storyline. She said, "[Santer] understood—he called me a wandering minstrel! But they had been expecting me to stay on, so they admitted they didn't have much time to come up with a good storyline. They were all too busy with Archie's murder so my exit was much more low-key." Her exit storyline comes about when Manda discovers that Minty is hiding something from her, on which a spokesperson for the show said, "The revelation then serves as the catalyst for Manda's exit." She made her last appearance on 12 February 2010.
Because Josie Lawrence was born in England's West Midlands, her casting in EastEnders attracted critcism from a journalist of the Sunday Mercury. According to the journalist, EastEnders, a London-based soap opera, had too many actors from the Midlands at the time, and not enough from London. When Manda left the serial, Jane Simon from the Daily Mirror stated that she would not miss the character or her wardrobe, using the "stupid flower" Manda wore on her bicycle helmet as an example of this.
- ^ a b c d e "Josie Lawrence on joining EastEnders". BBC Online. 4 March 2009. Archived from the original on 13 March 2009. http://web.archive.org/web/20090313183119/http://www.bbc.co.uk/eastenders/characters_cast/interviews/interview_josie_l.shtml#1. Retrieved 1 July 2009.
- ^ a b Fletcher, Alex (14 January 2009). "Comic Josie Lawrence joins 'EastEnders'". Digital Spy (London: Hachette Filipacchi UK). http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/a142419/comic-josie-lawrence-joins-eastenders.html. Retrieved 1 July 2009.
- ^ "Josie Lawrence joins EastEnders". What's on TV. 14 January 2009. http://www.whatsontv.co.uk/soaps/eastenders/news/josie-lawrence-joins-eastenders/4734. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- ^ "Phil's Best memory". The Sun. London: News Group Newspapers. 14 January 2009. http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/soaps/article2128297.ece. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- ^ Green, Kris (6 March 2009). "Callum leaves Walford". Digital Spy (London: Hachette Filipacchi UK). http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/spoilers/a147125/callum-leaves-walford.html. Retrieved 10 May 2011.
- ^ a b Kilkelly, Daniel (28 February 2009). "Lawrence reveals 'EastEnders' nerves". Digital Spy (London: Hachette Filipacchi UK). http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/a148167/lawrence-reveals-eastenders-nerves.html. Retrieved 1 July 2009.
- ^ Green, Kris (4 June 2009). "First disabled adult role for 'Enders". Digital Spy (London: Hachette Filipacchi UK). http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/a158214/first-disabled-adult-role-for-enders.html. Retrieved 5 June 2009.
- ^ a b "Amanda Best played by Josie Lawrence". EastEnders. BBC Online. http://www.bbc.co.uk/eastenders/characters/manda-best.shtml. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- ^ O'Sullivan, Kevin (30 August 2009). "SAILING OFF IN SEA OF DRIVEL". Sunday Mirror. http://www.thefreelibrary.com/SAILING+OFF+IN+SEA+OF+DRIVEL.-a0206877282. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- ^ O'Sullivan, Kevin (27 December 2009). "No Ender to misery". Sunday Mirror. http://www.thefreelibrary.com/No+Ender+to+misery.-a0215263523. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- ^ "Josie Lawrence set to leave EastEnders". London: BBC Online. 16 November 2009. http://www.bbc.co.uk/eastenders/news/091116-josie.shtml. Retrieved 14 June 2011.
- ^ a b c Millar, Paul (18 April 2010). "Josie Lawrence explains 'Enders exit". Digital Spy (London: Hachette Filipacchi UK). http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a215056/josie-lawrence-explains-enders-exit.html. Retrieved 20 April 2010.
- ^ a b Green, Kris (16 November 2009). "Josie Lawrence to leave EastEnders". Digital Spy (London: Hachette Filipacchi UK). http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a186961/josie-lawrence-to-leave-eastenders.html. Retrieved 16 November 2009.
- ^ Laws, Roz (18 April 2010). "Josie: I wanted to leave with a BANG!". Sunday Mercury. http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Josie%3a+I+wanted+to+leave+with+a+BANG!+Why+Midland+actress+Josie...-a0224194568. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- ^ Green, Kris (12 February 2010). "DCI Marsden makes a shock announcement". Digital Spy (London: Hachette Filipacchi UK). http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/spoilers/a199707/dci-marsden-makes-a-shock-announcement.html. Retrieved 10 May 2011.
- ^ Laws, Roz (14 February 2010). "Albert Square invaded! EastEnders celebrates 25 years soap is crawling with Midlanders". Sunday Mercury. http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Albert+Square+invaded!+Ad+EastEnders+celebrates+25+years+soap+is...-a0218895865. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- ^ Simon, Jane (12 February 2010). "We love telly; PICK OF THE DAY". The Mirror. http://www.thefreelibrary.com/We+love+telly%3b+PICK+OF+THE+DAY.-a0218783923. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
EastEnders History · Awards and nominations · In popular culture Characters Crew members Locations Storylines Episodes Families Spin-offs Music EastEnders portal
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Manda and the Marbles — were a pop punk/ New Wave band from Columbus, Ohio. Contents 1 History 2 Discography 2.1 Albums 2.2 Compilation Contributions … Wikipedia
Manda Ophuis — Birth name Manda Ophuis Born 27 November 1980 (1980 11 27) (age 30) Origin Netherlands Genres Symphonic metal … Wikipedia
Manda Krishna Madiga — Born 1965 (age 45–46) New Shyampet, Warangal District, Andhra Pradesh, India Residence Hyderabad, India Nationality Indian Occupation Social activist Founder of … Wikipedia
The Very Best of Santana (Live in 1968) — Infobox Album | Name = The Very Best Of Santana (Live In 1968) Type = Album Artist = Santana Recorded = November 1968 Genre = Latin rock Length = 60:29 Label = Columbia Producer = Carlos Santana, Brent Dangerfield Reviews = *Allmusic Rating|4.5|5 … Wikipedia
Nastro d'Argento Best Producer — A list of Nastro d Argento awards for Best Producer. 1954 Peg Film I Vitelloni 1955 Dino De Laurentiis La Strada 1956 Cines Amici per la pelle 1957 De Laurentiis Il ferrovierre 1958 Dino De Laurentiis Nights of Cabiria 1959 Franco Cristaldi The… … Wikipedia
David di Donatello for Best Actor — The David di Donatello for Best Actor is a category of the major Italian film award, the David di Donatello, given by La Accademia del Cinema Italiano (the Italian Cinematic Academy). Winners and nominees Year Winner Film Other Nominee(s) Film(s) … Wikipedia
Nastro d'Argento Best supporting Actor — Nastro d Argento for Best supporting Actor 1946 Gino Cervi Le miserie del signor Travet 1947 Massimo Serato Il sole sorge ancora 1948 Nando Bruno Il delitto di Giovanni Episcopo 1949 Saro Urzì In nome della legge 1950 Not Award 1951 Umberto… … Wikipedia
David di Donatello for Best Actress — Albo d oro 1956 Gina Lollobrigida La donna più bella del mondo 1958 Anna Magnani Wild Is the Wind 1959 Anna Magnani Nella città l inferno 1961 Sophia Loren La ciociara 1963 Silvana Mangano Il processo di Verona (ex aequo) Gina Lollobrigida Venere … Wikipedia
David di Donatello for Best Producer — Contents 1 Albo d oro 1.1 1956 1.2 1957 1.3 1958 1.4 1959 … Wikipedia
List of EastEnders characters (2009) — EastEnders is a long running BBC soap opera from the United Kingdom. This is a list of characters who first appeared on the programme during 2009, listed in order of their first appearance. They were all introduced by the show s executive… … Wikipedia