Maharishi Group Type Non-profit conglomerate Industry Ayurvedic remedies, education, solar, software, organic farming, clothing, granite, construction, aviation, and others Founded 1960s Founder(s) Maharishi Mahesh Yogi Headquarters NOIDA, India Key people Anand Shrivastava and Ajay Parkash Shrivastava Total assets $700 million
The Maharishi Group is a non-profit conglomerate or benevolent society based in India. It was established by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in the 1960s. His nephews, Anand Shrivastava and his brother Ajay Prakash Shrivastava, are the chairmen and managing directors of different organizations under Maharishi Group. The group was reported in 1999 to be worth $700 million and to have operations in over 120 countries.
The Maharishi Group has been called "India’s leading International group with diversified interests". According to one of the group's entities, it is active in "Education, Housing Finance, Solar Energy, Ayurvedic Products, Printing and Publishing, Granite, Software Development and Systems Integration, Aviation, Gems, Gold and Diamond Jewellery, IT turn key projects, Digital Animation, Clothing and many more areas." Another entity says that the group "covers most aspects of modern human needs" and is based on the Maharishi's vision of "ridding the Society from sufferings ... by re-enlivening the body's intelligence through connecting it to the bountiful and perpetual reservoir of Nature's Intelligence".
In 2007, the Maharishi Group was credited with helping a 12-year old girl who had been abused while working as a domestic get back to her family.
Anand Shrivastava is president of Maharishi Ayurveda Corporation. It was founded in 1987 and is ISO 9000 compliant. It markets over 900 products to 37 countries; exports which account for 60% of its output.
Maharishi Ayurveda Products Pvt Ltd. (MAPPL), also run by Anand Srivastava, announced in a 2010 press release that it had been in business for three decades, that it operated 13 clinic in India, and that it was seeking the advice of a franchise company regarding further expansion A 2011 press release, announcing franchise opportunities, says it markets over 1500 products. MAPPL was sued in 2008 by a resident of Maharishi Vedic City, Iowa when she discovered that she had received lead poisoning after using their products. One herbal supplement was tested and reported to contain 3% lead by weight.
The group includes Maharishi Solar Technology (MST), an ISO 9001:2000 accredited company which produces solar water heaters for home and industrial use. MST is run by Ajay Prakash Shrivastava brother of Anand Shrivastava. Prakash Shrivastava is also the 2009-2010 president of the Solar Energy Society of India and the Vice-President of International Solar Society. MST has a vertically integrated facility for producing photovoltaic panels at Kalahasti in Andhra Pradesh, and is a core producer of the multicrystalline silicon wafers used to make them. In 2009 it announced an agreement with Abengoa Solar Inc for the production of solar thermal collectors that use parabolic trough mirrors to produce steam. MST said that it would invest Rs 300 crore to acquire the technology and to build a factory in Noida to make the collectors. Maharishi Renewable Energy Ltd (MREL) announced a plan to invest Rs 70 crore in a solar thermal electric generating plant in Rajasthan to be completed in 2011.
Picasso Digital Media, headquartered in Delhi, provides education in digital animation in conjunction with Toronto's Centennial College. Picasso Animation College held its first convocation at its Hyderabad campus in 2010, hosted by its director general, O. P. Sharma.
Other educational franchises include the Cosmic Institution of Neo Entertainment, Media and Arts (C.I.N.E.M.A.) and the Cosmic Business School (CBS). Many CBS graduates are hired directly into Maharishi Groups businesses or are recruited by other business partners. Started in 2004, its president is Ajay Prakash Shrivastava and the director general is O.P Sharma. Cosmic Academy, affiliated with Manipal University, offered the first-ever MBA in Business Process Outsourcing in 2004.
Maharishi Information Technology Pvt. Ltd. (MITPL) was founded in 1999. Cosmic Softech Limited is a software development company in New Delhi, one division of which is Cosmic Integrated Technology Services (CITeS). Founded in 2000, it seeks to provide "comprehensive e-commerce solutions, web based technologies, enterprise business solutions designed around multi-tier architecture and telecommunications software development."
The Maharishi Housing Development Finance Corporation (MHDFC) was established in 1993 in New Delhi. By 2000 it offered seven and 15-year loans and proposed a plan for 40-year mortgages. By 2003 it had 15 branches across India, a loan portfolio of Rs104 crore, and the Maharishi University of Management of UK was listed as a promoter. The sale of the controlling interest to ICICI Bank was initiated in 1999, and the negotiations continued through 2003. In 2009 it was announced that Religare Enterprises was planning to acquire a majority stake in MHDFC.
- Age of Enlightenment Publications, a printer of books such as Celebrating Total Knowledge in Every Girl through Maharishi's Vedic Education: First Textbook of Ideal Girls’ Schools around the World, and Maharishi's Absolute Theory of Defence: sovereignty in invincibility
- Global Diamonds
- Maharishi Channel, a satellite television channel, the first 24-hour religious channel in India.
- Maharishi Orchards, a grower with certified-organic orchards in Uttarakhand and Delhi It grows apples, walnuts, vegetables, and Ayurvedic herbs.
- Maharishi TM Centers
- Maharishi University of Management, an accredited university in Fairfield, Iowa
- Maharishi Vedic Construction, a construction company headed by Anand Shrivastava. It took over a troubled plantation near Kamshet in Pune, Golden Glades, which had difficulty repaying investors.
- Ram Rajya Clothing, a manufacturer of organic clothing
- Star Granites, a producer of granite products in Andhra Pradesh which exports to Europe and America
- Trans Bharat Aviation, a non-scheduled operator of propeller-driven airplanes and helicopters
- Several broadcast channels in Holland
Several members of the Maharishi Group have offices at:
- Maharishi House
- A-14, Mohan Co-Operative Industrial Estate
- Mathura Road, New Delhi, Delhi 110044, India
Companies located there include Star Granites, Maharishi Vidyapeeth-Transcendental Meditation Centre, Maharishi Ayurveda Products Pvt. Ltd., Maharishi Solar Technology, Maharishi Veda Vision, Age Of Enlightenment New Services, Maharishi Housing Development Finance Corporation, Maharishi Prakashan, Maharishi Orchards, and Cosmic Software.
- ^ a b Mackinnon, Donna Jean (September 28, 2006). "India has a huge demand for digital expertise Animation, India- style". Toronto Star: p. J.1.
- ^ a b Das, Sandip (October 12, 2009). "Harnessing solar power for industrial use.". Financial Express.
- ^ "Human Dimension: Anand Shrivastava". UNEP-Tongji Institute of Environment for Sustainable Development. Archived from the original on September 8, 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5sbigBEQf. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- ^ Chopra, Deepak (February 13, 2008). "The Maharishi Years - The Untold Story: Recollections of a Former Disciple". Huffington Post. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/deepak-chopra/the-maharishi-years-the-u_b_86412.html?page=2&show_comment_id=11483686#comment_11483686. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- ^ a b Mahalakshmi, BV (November 12, 2009). "Maharishi to acquire tech from German co". Financial Express (New Delhi). http://www.financialexpress.com/news/Maharishi-to-acquire-tech-from-German-co/540299/.
- ^ a b "Maharishi Solar Technology announces tie-up with Abengoa Solar" (Press release). Global Solar Technology. 15 September 2009. Archived from the original on September 8, 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5sbikWwqJ. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- ^ a b "Maharishi Group". Picasso Digital Media. Archived from the original on September 8, 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5sbinCRGJ. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- ^ a b "THE MAHARISHI GROUP". Maharishi Ayurveda Products Pvt. Ltd.. 2007. Archived from the original on September 8, 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5sbipx5z9. Retrieved April 11, 2020.
- ^ "Child labor ban in India goes unheeded". UPI NewsTrack. October 11, 2007.
- ^ "Chennai". The Hindu: p. 1. September 13, 2000.
- ^ "Maharishi Ayurveda consult Francorp to advice for its expansion Pan-India" (Press release). Free-Press-Release Inc.. March 8, 2010. Archived from the original on September 8, 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5sbitElKf.
- ^ "Maharishi Ayurveda Products Pvt Ltd announces the launch of its franchise model" (Press release). January 4, 2011. Archived from the original on January 20, 2011. http://www.webcitation.org/5vtN5CUJl.
- ^ Binegar, Erika (March 8, 2008). "Title:Vedic City woman charges herbs caused lead poisoning.". Gazette (Cedar Rapids, Iowa).
- ^ a b Das, Sandip (October 12, 2009). "Harnessing solar power for industrial use". Financial Express (New Delhi). http://www.financialexpress.com/news/harnessing-solar-power-for-industrial-use/527767/.
- ^ "Governing Council of SESI 2009-10". Solar Energy Society of India. http://www.sesi.in/governingcouncil.asp. Retrieved April 6, 2010. [dead link]
- ^ "Get a Deep Insight into the Global & China Solar Polysilicon Industry Chain Report". Business Wire (New York). December 3, 2007.
- ^ "About Chairman". Maharishi Vidya Mandir public school. Archived from the original on September 8, 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5sbj4jfrK. Retrieved April 6, 2010.
- ^ Pradhan, Sharat (February 10, 2008). "Maharishi Mahesh Yogi to be cremated in grand ceremony". Rediff.com. http://www.rediff.com/news/2008/feb/10look.htm. Retrieved April 6, 2010.
- ^ Chandrasekaran, Anupama (July 2, 2007). "Maharishi Group’s Picasso To Invest $9 Mln In Animation Education, Production". contentSutra. http://contentsutra.com/article/419-maharishi-groups-picasso-to-invest-9-mln-in-animation-education-product/.
- ^ "Ontario colleges animate India". National Post (Don Mills, Ont.): p. FP.3. October 2, 2006.
- ^ "Picasso Animation College Organises Its First Convocation In The City" (Press release). India PRwire. March 29, 2010. http://www.indiaprwire.com/pressrelease/education/2010032946814.htm.
- ^ "About Cinema". Cosmic Institution of Neo Entertainment, Media and Arts. http://www.cinemasite.in/aboutcinema.php. Retrieved April 4, 2010. [dead link]
- ^ "Cosmic Business School: A recession proof career: MBA with SAP education". IndianMBA.com. July 11, 2009. Archived from the original on September 8, 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5sbjWFi4D. Retrieved April 6, 2010.
- ^ a b "ABOUT COSMIC BUSINESS SCHOOL". minglebox. Archived from the original on September 8, 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5sbjbhvNY. Retrieved April 9, 2010.
- ^ "Faculty". Cosmic Business School. Archived from the original on September 8, 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5sbjfWCOI. Retrieved April 8, 2010.
- ^ Gohain, Manash Pratim (November 16, 2004). "Now, MBA in BPO". Asia Africa Intelligence Wire.
- ^ "Maharishi's Programmes in India: Maharishi Information Technology". Maharishi Vedic University. Archived from the original on September 8, 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5sbjn0c2K. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- ^ "Home page". Cosmic Softech Limited. Archived from the original on September 8, 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5sbjrV1vH. Retrieved April 4, 2010.
- ^ "Maharishi group". The Tribune (India). June 20, 2000. Archived from the original on September 8, 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5sbjzj29k.
- ^ "India: Maharishi Housing to offer 40-yr loan scheme". Business Line. March 8, 2000.
- ^ a b "ICICI BANK IN DUE DILIGENCE FOR MAHARISHI HSG FIN BUY (to complete due diligence process by Jun 2003)". Asia Africa Intelligence Wire. May 29, 2003. http://www.financialexpress.com/news/icici-bank-in-due-diligence-for-maharishi-hsg-fin-buy/71683/.
- ^ "Maharishi's Programmes in India: Maharishi Housing Development Finance Corporation". Maharishi Vedic University. Archived from the original on 2004-02-07. http://web.archive.org/web/20040207202601/http://maharishi-india.org/companies/c2/index.html. Retrieved April 5, 2010. 
- ^ "Religare forays into home fin biz; buys 87.5% stake in MHDFC". The Press Trust of India Ltd.. May 28, 2009.
- ^ Patel, Rupal (April 06,2009). "Religare To Acquire Controlling Stake In MHDFC". http://business.highbeam.com/436238/article-1G1-197743688/religare-enterprises-acquire-majority-stake-maharishi.
- ^ "Our International Network". Maharishi Solar Technology. Archived from the original on September 8, 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5sbkFTvwf. Retrieved April 6, 2010.
- ^ "Group Overview". Cosmic Business School. Archived from the original on September 8, 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5sbkHbZDo. Retrieved April 9, 2010.
- ^ "Books on Consciousness-Based Education and the Transcendental Meditation® Program". Consciousness-Based Education Association. Archived from the original on September 8, 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5sbkKTUEl. Retrieved April 6, 2010.
- ^ "Maharishi's Absolute Theory of Defence : sovereignty in invincibility". WorldCat. Archived from the original on September 8, 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5sbkNxuTG. Retrieved April 6, 2010.
- ^ Yadav, Anurag (August 17, 2001). "Remote control salvation: Religious channels may not be big money spinners but their following could be the dream of any channel". The Statesman (New Delhi): p. 1.
- ^ "About Us". Maharishi Orchards. Archived from the original on September 8, 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5sbkRLpib. Retrieved April 4, 2010.
- ^ "PRODUCTS & SERVICES". IndiaMART. Archived from the original on September 8, 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5sbkVIjGL. Retrieved April 8, 2010.
- ^ MATHEW, GEORGE; GHOSH, SANTANU (June 18, 2003). "Divine intervention fails to get back investors’ money". Indian Express. http://www.indianexpress.com/oldStory/25966/.
- ^ "About Us". Ram Rajya Organics. Archived from the original on September 8, 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5sbkXxcVI. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- ^ "About Us". Star Granites. Archived from the original on 2007-06-30. http://web.archive.org/web/20070630204331/http://www.stargranites.com/Aboutuspage.html. Retrieved April 4, 2010.
- ^ "Operators: Non-scheduled/Misc Operators". Know India: Indian aviation. Archived from the original on September 8, 2010. http://www.webcitation.org/5sbkf4N2O. Retrieved April 4, 2010.
- ^ Star Granites Private Limited - Granite, Marble and Sandstone & Others manufacturers and suppliers
- ^ Maharishi Vidyapeeth - Transcendental Meditation Centre, A-14, Mohan Estate, Mathura Road, Delhi, Delhi - 110044 :: Consultants/ Therapists- Yoga in Delhi, Delhi - Yellow page...
- ^ Maharishi Ayurveda – Manufacturer and Supplier India
- ^ MAHARISHI SOLAR TECHNOLOGY : AN ISO 9001 COMPANY
- ^ Indiantelevision dot com's Satellite television channels reckoner: The Address Book of Broadcasting Channels
- ^ scatmag.com - Satellite & Cable TV
- ^ National Housing Bank
- ^ Maharishi's Books
- ^ http://www.esuppliersindia.com/maharishi-orchards/organic-apples-pr392537-sFP-swf.html
- ^ C I Corporation Locations
Transcendental Meditation Techniques and programs Organizations Education People Settlements and buildings Books
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi — in 1973 Born Mahesh Prasad Varma 12 January 1917 Jabalpur, Central Provinces and Berar, British India … Wikipedia
Maharishi University of Management — Golden Dome and Maharishi Tower of Invincibilty Established 1971 Type Private, not for profit Endowment … Wikipedia
Maharishi Vedic Approach to Health — Claims Proponents claim that illnesses can be treated by reconnecting physiological functioning with the body s inner intelligence through reducing and eliminating impurities and imbalances. Related scientific disciplines Medicine Year proposed… … Wikipedia
Maharishi Vedic City, Iowa — City Maharishi Vedic City homes with the gold colored kalash on their rooftops … Wikipedia
Maharishi Institute of Management — Established 1993  Type Private President Brahmachari Girish Chandra Varma  … Wikipedia
Maharishi Vidya Mandir Schools — (MVMS) is an educational school system founded by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi and established in 16 Indian states. MVMS is managed by a registered educational society called the Maharishi Shiksha Sansthan . MVMS is also affiliated with the New… … Wikipedia
Maharishi Mahesh Yogi Vedic University — or Maharishi Mahesh Yogi Vedic Vishwavidyalaya Established 1995 Type Public Chancellor Girish Varma Vice Chancellor Prof. Bhuvnesh Sharma Location … Wikipedia
Maharishi University of Management and Technology — Established 2002 Type Private Chancellor Brahmachari Dr. Girish Varma … Wikipedia
Maharishi University of Management stabbing — Location Fairfield, Iowa Date March 1, 2004 Target Students at Maharishi University of Management Attack type … Wikipedia
Maharishi Sthapatya Veda — A commercial building constructed using the principles and features of MSV including a rooftop kalash and vastu fence . Maharishi Sthapatya Veda (MSV) is a set of architectural and planning principles assembled by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi based on… … Wikipedia