Vijay Born Joseph Vijay Chandrasekhar
June 22, 1974
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Occupation Film actor, playback singer, promotional model Years active 1992–present Height 5 ft 10 inches Spouse Sangeeta Sornalingam
- S. A. Chandrasekhar
- S. N. Surender
Vijay (Tamil: விஜய்) (born Joseph Vijay Chandrasekhar on June 22, 1974) is an Indian film actor and playback singer, who is based in the cinema of Tamil Nadu. He is the son of film producer and director S. A. Chandrasekhar. After performing uncredited roles as a child actor in films produced by his father, he made his debut in a lead role in the 1992 film Naalaya Theerpu. Since then, he acted in several films of action and romance genres. He has also worked as a playback singer in several of his films, as well as a few films starring other actors. During his career in the Tamil film industry, he has won two Tamil Nadu State Film Awards and was nominated for one Filmfare Award.
Vijay has starred in several romance and action films, including the commercially successful films Poove Unakkaga (1996), Kadhalukku Mariyadhai (1997), Thulladha Manamum Thullum (1999), Kushi (2000), Priyamaanavale (2000), Ghilli (2004), Pokkiri (2007), Kaavalan (2011) and Velayudham (2011). He also worked with several corporations as a brand ambassador and is a former brand ambassador of the Indian Premier League cricket team, Chennai Super Kings.
Vijay was born to S. A. Chandrasekhar, a film producer and director and Shobha Chandrasekhar, a Carnatic singer. He attended the Balalok Matriculation Higher Secondary School in Virugambakkam, Chennai. He began his post-secondary studies at Loyola College in Chennai and entered in the acting field.
During his childhood, Vijay performed in uncredited roles as a child actor in films produced by his father, S. A. Chandrasekhar. At the age of 18, Vijay debuted as a lead actor in the 1992 film Naalaya Theerpu, also produced by his father. In his second film, he co-starred with Vijayakanth in the film Sendhoorapandi. His following films Rasigan and Deva were all low-budget films. In his fifth film Rajavin Parvaiyile in 1993, he co-starred with actor Ajith Kumar, who, like Vijay, was also a rising young actor then. Also released that year were his romantic comedies Vishnu and Chandralekha.
The following year, Vijay continued to pursue romantic comedy films like Coimbatore Mappillai. The Vikraman-directed Poove Unakkaga helped Vijay to become a recognisable actor. Vijay's tenth film was Vasantha Vasal which was followed by the action flicks Maanbumigu Maanavan and Selva. After more romance films in 1997, like Kaalamellam Kaathiruppen and Love Today, Vijay took up the romantic comedy film, Once More, in which he co-starred with legendary Tamil film actor Sivaji Ganesan. In his next film, the Mani Ratnam-produced Nerukku Ner, directed by Vasanth, he co-starred with Suriya who happened to make his debut in that film. He wrapped up that year with his first commercial success, Kadhalukku Mariyadhai, which was directed by Fazil and earned him a Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Actor.
In 1998, Vijay worked in Ninaithen Vandhai, Priyamudan, and Nilaave Vaa. In 1999, his film Thulladha Manamum Thullum earned him a Special Prize at the following year's Tamil Nadu State Film Awards. This was followed by the films Endrendrum Kadhal, Nenjinile, Minsara Kanna.
At the start of the new millennium he did Kannukkul Nilavu with Fazil. He decided not to commit in films that took a year to release, which changed his trend. His next venture Kushi was directed by S. J. Suryah. At the end of the year, he acted in Priyamanavale. His 2001 comedy film Friends was directed by Siddique and featured him alongside Suriya again. Badri was an action – drama flick which he followed with the romance film, Shahjahan.
Vijay then switched gears with the action-romance flick, Thirumalai, which featured him with a new look. Udhaya, a film which began filming in 2002 but became delayed, finally released at the start of 2004.
Ghilli, which was released in 2004, is considered as one of Vijay's biggest commercial successes. Directed by S. Dharani and produced by A. M. Rathnam, it was a remake of the Telugu film Okkadu, and ran for 200 days in theatres in Tamil Nadu. It was followed by Madhurey. It was in this year which Vijay began to portray his current mass-hero, stereotypical acting style, giving him a major turning point in his career. The following year, 2005, had other major films such as the Perarasu-directed Thirupaachi, the romantic flick Sachien, and another masala film, Sivakasi, again by Perarasu.
His next film Aadhi, was released in 2006. He later accepted to work in Pokkiri that year. Directed by Prabhu Deva, it released in 2007 and met almost the same success Ghilli did, in which Vijay played the character of an undercover cop diguised as a local gangster. Vijay's performance was well praised and received an award from actor Kamal Haasan at Nehru Stadium for his performance. He received honorary doctorate from M.G.R University for his philanthropic works.
Late 2007, Vijay starred in the romantic drama film Azhagiya Thamizh Magan, and for the first time, he appeared in dual roles, as both the antagonist and protagonist. In 2008, he starred in the action film Kuruvi, again under Dharani's direction.
The year 2009 started off with the action masala film Villu, which was directed by Prabhu Deva who was keen on working with him again after Pokkiri. The film featured Vijay in dual roles for the second time in his career. Vijay's next film, Vettaikaaran was directed by Babu Sivan, produced by AVM Productions and distributed by Sun Pictures.
In 2010, Vijay's 50th film Sura released, which was also distributed by Sun Pictures.
He associated with director Siddique again for Kaavalan, the Tamil remake of the Malayalam film Bodyguard. It received a positive response from both viewers and critics and was declared a successful venture at the box office. During Diwali 2011, his next film, Velayudham directed by M. Raja and produced by Venu Ravichandran released and declared as big hit. He has finished shooting with S. Shankar for the film Nanban which features Vijay as the main character alongside Jeeva, Srikanth and Ileana D'Cruz.
Following Nanban, Vijay is expected to star in Maalai Nerathu Mazhaithuli directed by A. R. Murugadoss and the crime-thriller Yohan: Adhyayam Ondru directed by Gautham Menon, which are expected for release in 2012 and 2013 respectively.
Vijay married Sangeeta Sornalingam of Sri Lankan Tamil descent on August 25, 1999. They have two children, a son Jason Sanjay born in 2000 in London, and a daughter Divya Saasha born in 2005 in Chennai.
In the year 2002, Vijay was chosen as Coca Cola's brand ambassador in Tamil Nadu. He had acted in a variety of South Indian Coca Cola advertisements, along with Katrina Kaif. In 2008, Vijay was signed up as the star ambassador for the Indian Premier League cricket team Chennai Super Kings, along with actress Nayanthara. In January 2009, Vijay was once again chosen as the brand ambassador for Coca Cola products. As of August 2010, Vijay was signed by Jos Alukkas as their brand ambassador for Tamil Nadu and Kerala. Tata Docomo has approached Vijay to feature in an ad shoot. Vijay would be seen for the first time for an Ad with Tata Docomo who are known for their innovative promotions all over. 
Awards and honours
His first performance award was the Best Actor for Kadhalukku Mariyadhai, given by Tamil Nadu State Film Awards in 1998. He also received the Special Prize for Best Actor for Thirupaachi. Vijay also received the TVS Star City Superstar of Tomorrow (2005), the Entertainer of the Year Award (2008) for Pokkiri and Azhagiya Tamil Magan  and the Favourite Hero Award (2010) for Vettaikaaran  from Vijay Awards. Vijay also received best actor awards from the Madras Corporate Club Best Actor Award, Dinakaran, Film Today, Amrita Mathrubhumi Awards, and Isaiyaruvi. He received the Best Popular Tamil Actor Award from the 2010 Asianet Film Awards.
Year Film Role Notes 1992 Naalaiya Theerpu Vijay 1994 Sendhoorapandi Vijay 1994 Rasigan Vijay 1995 Deva Deva 1995 Rajavin Parvaiyile Raja 1995 Vishnu Vishnu 1995 Chandralekha Rahim 1996 Coimbatore Maaple Balu 1996 Poove Unakkaga Raja 1996 Vasantha Vasal Vijay 1996 Maanbumigu Maanavan Shiva 1996 Selva Selvan 1997 Kaalamellam Kaathiruppen Kannan 1997 Love Today Ganesh 1997 Once More Vijay 1997 Nerrukku Ner Vijay 1997 Kadhalukku Mariyadhai Jeevanandam Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Actor 1998 Ninaithen Vandhai Gokulakrishnan 1998 Priyamudan Vasanth 1998 Nilaave Vaa Seluvai 1999 Thulladha Manamum Thullum Kutty 1999 Endrendrum Kadhal Vijay 1999 Nenjinile Karunakaran 1999 Minsara Kanna Kannan 2000 Kannukkul Nilavu Gautham 2000 Kushi Shiva 2000 Priyamaanavale Vijay 2001 Friends Aravinth 2001 Badri Badrinathamoorthy 2001 Shahjahan Ashok 2002 Thamizhan Surya 2002 Youth Shiva 2002 Bhagavathi Bhagavathi 2003 Vaseegara Boopathy 2003 Puthiya Geethai Saarathy 2003 Thirumalai Thirumalai 2004 Udhaya Udhayakumaran 2004 Ghilli Saravanavelu 2004 Madhurey Madhuravel 2005 Thirupaachi Sivagiri Tamil Nadu State Film Special Prize for Best Actor 2005 Sachein Sachein 2005 Sukran Sukran Extended cameo 2005 Sivakasi Sivakasi (Muthappa) 2006 Aadhi Aadhi 2007 Pokkiri Thamizh (Sathyamoorthy) Vijay Award for Entertainer of the Year (also for Azhagiya Tamil Magan)
Nominated—Filmfare Best Tamil Actor Award
2007 Azhagiya Tamil Magan Gurumoorthy,
Vijay Award for Entertainer of the Year (also for Pokkiri) 2008 Kuruvi Vetrivel Nominated—Vijay Award for Favourite Hero 2008 Pandhayam Himself Cameo appearance 2009 Villu Pugazh,
2009 Vettaikaaran Ravi Vijay Award for Favourite Hero 2010 Sura Sura 2011 Kaavalan Bhoominathan 2011 Velayudham Velayudham 2012 Nanban Ashok Post-production
- ^ "Actor Vijay Biography| Actor Vijay Official Website Home Page | Actor Vijay News | Actor Vijay Gallery". Actorvijay.net. http://www.actorvijay.net/biography.php. Retrieved 2011-10-04.
- ^ "Tamil Actor Vijay Profile". Tamilo.com. http://tamiloprofile.com/Tamil_Actors/tamil-actors-profiles/vijay-profile/. Retrieved 21 April 2011.
- ^ "Actor Vijay, Dhoni form mutual admiration society – Movies News News – IBNLive". Ibnlive.in.com. 2010-02-03. http://ibnlive.in.com/news/actor-vijay-dhoni-form-mutual-admiration-society/63785-8.html. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- ^ "Vijay visits his alma mater - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/68330.html. Retrieved 2011-09-04.
- ^ http://sify.com/movies/tamil/fullstory.php?id=14953241
- ^ Rangarajan, Malathi (2011-01-22). "Bodyguard in form". The Hindu (Chennai, India). http://www.thehindu.com/arts/cinema/article1111607.ece.
- ^ Kaavalan is a Hit. Sify.com. Retrieved on 2011-06-06.
- ^ http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movies-slide-shows/movie-4/top-ten-movies-oct-07/tamil-cinema-topten-movie-velayudham.html
- ^ How Vijay cme back to 3 Idiots?
- ^ "Vijay & A R Murugadoss Find Bollywood's Beauty | News - General". Top 10 Cinema. 2011-09-15. http://www.top10cinema.com/news/12730/vijay-a-r-murugadoss-find-bollywoods-beauty. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- "Details On Ar Murugadoss And Vijay Project - Ar Murugadoss - Vijay - Santhosh Sivan - Nanban - 7aam Arivu - Tamil Movie News". Behindwoods.com. 2011-09-12. http://www.behindwoods.com/tamil-movie-news-1/sep-11-02/ar-murugadoss-vijay-12-09-11.html. Retrieved 2011-10-24.
- ^ Its Official: Vijay & Gautham Menon join hands
- ^ "Rediff On The Net, Movies: Gossip from the southern film industry". Rediff.com. 1998-08-17. http://www.rediff.com/movies/1998/aug/17ss.htm. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- ^ "Rediff On The NeT, Movies: Gossip from the southern film industry". Rediff.com. 1999-01-25. http://www.rediff.com/movies/1999/jan/25ss.htm. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- ^ "rediff.com, Movies: Vijay meets his son on the Net!". Rediff.com. 2000-08-26. http://www.rediff.com/movies/2000/aug/26tt.htm. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- ^ "Coke signs up Vijay as brand ambassador – Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/45325.html. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
- ^ "South Indian actor Vijay brand ambassador of Jos Alukkas – Chennaionline News". News.chennaionline.com. http://news.chennaionline.com/chennai/South-Indian-actor-Vijay-brand-ambassador-of-Jos-Alukkas/3bab0eac-9bf4-4080-967b-b89dda6d8008.col. Retrieved 2011-01-18.
- ^ "Ad. Bug bites Vijay again – Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 2010-08-12. http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/59331.html. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- ^ "Vijay to endorse Docomo". Indiaglitz. http://www.indiaglitz.com/channels/tamil/article/73101.html. Retrieved 2011-10-25.
- ^ "Tata Docomo chooses actor Vijay as their brand ambassador". Oneindia. http://entertainment.oneindia.in/tamil/news/2011/tata-docomo-chooses-actor-vijay-brand-ambassador-281011.html. Retrieved 2011-10-28.
- ^ Vijay Awards. Starboxoffice.com (2008-01-02). Retrieved on 2011-06-06.
- ^ Awards and accolades all the way
- ^ K. Lakshmi (2010-05-30). "The Hindu : Cities / Chennai : ‘Pasanga' steals show at Vijay awards". Beta.thehindu.com. http://beta.thehindu.com/news/cities/Chennai/article441682.ece?homepage=true. Retrieved 2010-07-18.
Kamal Haasan (1981) · Sivakumar (1982) · no award (1983) · no award (1984) · no award (1985) · no award (1986) · no award (1987) · Vijayakanth (1988) · Kamal Haasan (1989) · Karthik (1990) · Prabhu (1991) · Arvind Swamy (1992) · Arjun (1993) · Sarathkumar (1994) · Rajinikanth (1995) · Kamal Haasan (1996) · Parthiban & Vijay (1997) · Sarathkumar (1998) · Rajinikanth (1999) · Murali (2000)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Vijay — is a common name for men in India. The famous Bollywood actor Amitabh Bachchan used the name Vijay in most of the movies he performed in. Another name for Arjuna the hero of the great Hindu epic, the Mahabharata is Vijaya, meaning Victorious. The … Wikipedia
Vijay Raaz — (विजय राज़) is a Bollywood actor. His breakthrough hit came when he played the role role of Dubeyji in the movie Monsoon Wedding. Since then, Raaz has been cast in small, often comedic roles, in many Bollywood movies, often depicting the… … Wikipedia
Vijay (Schauspieler) — Vijay Vijay (* 22. Juni 1974 in Chennai, Indien) ist ein tamilischer Schauspieler. Er ist auch als Ilaya Thalapathy (junger Führer) bekannt. Inhaltsverzeichnis 1 … Deutsch Wikipedia
Vijay Arora — (December 27, 1946 ndash; February 2, 2007) was an actor in Hindi films and television serials, most famous for his roles in Yaadon Ki Baaraat and as Indrajit in the television serial Ramayan . He is not to be confused with another Vijay Arora,… … Wikipedia
Vijay Amritraj — 65px País India Residencia California, Estados Unidos Fecha de nacimiento 14 de diciembre de 1953 (5 … Wikipedia Español
Vijay (acteur) — Joseph Vijay Données clés Naissance 22 juin 1974 (1974 06 22) (37 ans) ,Chennai Nationalité Indienne … Wikipédia en Français
Vijay Anand — Infobox actor bgcolour = name = Vijay Anand imagesize = caption = birthdate = birth date|1934|01|22 location = Gurdaspur, Punjab height = deathdate = death date|2004|02|23 deathplace = Mumbai yearsactive = 1954 1998 birthname = othername = Goldie … Wikipedia
Vijay Tendulkar — Infobox actor imagesize = 200px bgcolour = name = Vijay Tendulkar birthdate = birth date|1928|01|06 location = Kolhāpur, Mahārāshtra, India height = deathdate = death date and age|2008|05|19|1928|01|06 deathplace = Pune, India death cause =… … Wikipedia
Actor model later history — In computer science, the Actor model, first published in 1973 ref harvard|Hewitt|Hewitt et al. 1973| , is a mathematical model of concurrent computation. This article reports on the later history of the Actor model in which major themes were… … Wikipedia
Vijay Bhatt — Infobox actor name = Vijay Bhatt imagesize = caption = birthname = Vijayshankar Jagneshwar Bhatt birthdate = Birth date|1907|5|12|mf=y location = Palitana, Gujarat, British India deathdate = death date and age|1993|10|17|1907|5|12|mf=y deathplace … Wikipedia