Dr. Kenneth K. Kim Born April 29, 1972
Nationality Korean American Occupation Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon
Kenneth Kwanyoung Kim (born April 4, 1972), best known as Dr. Kenneth Kim, is a Korean born, Korean-American board certified plastic surgeon and medical researcher residing in Southern California. Kim is an active member of the American College of Surgeons, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, and the Dream Medical Group. He currently is in private practice in Los Angeles and specializes in Asian aesthetic surgery.
Early life and education
Kenneth Kwanyoung Kim was born in Seoul, Korea to nurse Sun Ae Kim and banker Seuk Doo Kim. Kim is the youngest of four children and has an older brother, David D. Kim, who also went into medicine. He lived with his family in South Korea until 1981, when his family moved to Southern California during the early years of his adolescence.
Kim's decision to go into medicine was influenced by his mother, who fell sick with a chronic heart condition when Kim was just a boy.
Kim studied Molecular and Cell Biology at UC Berkeley, where he was nominated for a Rhodes Scholarship and was also inducted as a junior into the Phi Beta Kappa Society. Following UC Berkeley, Kim received a 4-year scholarship to study medicine at Yale University, where he received his M.D.. Kim later completed a 7-year residency at Northwestern University.
Kim is best known for his work in plastic and reconstructive surgery. At Yale, Kim was granted the Yale Department of Surgery Research Award and became a fellow of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute, where he won the award for student research training. Consequently, Kim led the research on growth factors and tissue regeneration at the molecular and cellular level. His work led to a first author publication in the scientific journal, Gene, in 2006.
During this time, Kim was inducted into Switzerland's AO Craniomaxillofacial Research and Development Fellowship. As an AO Fellow, Kim led the research on ways to prevent injury during ocular surgery through minimally invasive surgical techniques. His work was published in "Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery" in 2007.
Kim also led the research on using a person's own rib cartilage to autoaugment the tip and bridge of the nose. His work was presented to the Rhinoplasty Society on April 28, 2005 and led to a first author publication in 2007.
In 2008, Kim conducted research on ways to autoaugment a sagging breast without the use of an implant, which was presented at the American Society of Plastic Surgery Annual Meeting in 2008, and published in the Aesthetic Surgery Journal in 2010.
Kim is partnered with Dream Medical Group, and is the only non-Seoul National University graduate to become a member. In Korea, Kim developed his skill in Asian aesthetic surgery, and in particular, the double-eyelid crease surgery. According to the Korea Herald, Kim's plastic surgery patients were "impressed" with his eyelid, eyelid revision, breast, nose, dark circle correction, and wrinkle correction procedures.
Dr. Kim has also been recognized by the Korean American community for offering free cosmetic surgery procedures. According to one article, people were "spreading the word" about his free ptosis surgeries, which Dr. Kim offered to needy patients on a weekly basis.
- Kim, KK; Zhao, L; Belafsky, P; Patel, PK; Strong, EB (Feb 2008). "Technical note: 'look-ahead' navigation method for K-wire fixation in rhinoplasty". Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 105 (2): 168–72. PMID 17900946.
- Kim, KK; Mueller, R; Huang, F; Strong, EB (Apr 2007). "Endoscopic repair of anterior table: frontal sinus fractures with a Medpor implant". Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 136 (4): 568–72. PMID 17418253.
- Kim, KK; Ji, C; Chang, W; Wells, RG; Gundberg, CM; McCarthy, TL; Centrella, M (Sep 2006). "Repetitive exposure to TGF-beta suppresses TGF-beta type I receptor expression by differentiated osteoblasts". Gene 379: 175–84. doi:10.1016/j.gene.2006.05.005. PMID 16806744.
- Kim, P; Kim, KK; Casas, LA (Mar 2010). "Superior pedicle autoaugmentation mastopexy: a review of 34 consecutive patients". Aesthet Surg J. 30 (2): 201–10. PMID 20442097. http://aes.sagepub.com/content/30/2/201.abstract.
- Strong, EB; Kim, KK; Diez, RC (2004). "Endoscopic Approach to Orbital Blowout Fracture Repair". Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery 131 (5): 683–95. PMID 15523449.
- McCarthy, TL; Ji, C; Chen, Y; Kim, K; Centrella, M (2000), "Time- and dose-related interactions between glucocorticoid and cAMP on C/EBP-dependent IGF-I statement by osteoblasts", Endocrinology 141 (1): 127–137, doi:10.1210/en.141.1.127, http://endo.endojournals.org/cgi/content/full/141/1/127
- McCarthy T.L., Ji C., Chen Y., Kim K., Imagawa M., Ito Y., Centrella M. (2000). "Runt domain factor Runx-dependent effects on C/EBPd statement and activity in osteoblasts". J. Biol. Chem. 275: 21746–21753. doi:10.1074/jbc.M002291200. PMID 10801838.
- Chang DJ, Ji C, Kim KK, Casinghino S, McCarthy TL, Centrella M (February 1998). "Reduction in transforming growth factor beta receptor I expression and transcription factor CBFa1 on bone cells by glucocorticoid". J. Biol. Chem. 273 (9): 4892–6. doi:10.1074/jbc.273.9.4892. PMID 9478931.
- Chen Y., Shu H., Ji C., Casinghino S., Kim K., Gundberg C., Centrella M., McCarthy T.L. (1998). "Insulin-like growth factor binding proteins localize to discrete cell culture compartments in periosteal and osteoblast cultures from fetal rat calvariae". J. Cell. Biochem 71: 351–362. PMID 9831072.
- Kim, K., McCarthy TL, Centrella M. “Autologous Regulation of the TGF-β Type I Receptor on Osteoblasts.” 1998. (Abstract) Howard Hughes Medical Institute Scientific Publication
- Kim KK, Lear ST, Erickson SK. “Expression of LDL Receptors Along the Small Intestine and its Regulation due to Various Cholesterol Levels.” 1992. (Abstract) American Heart Association Publication
- ^ a b c "[인터뷰] 케네스 김 성형외과 전문의 (Interview: Kenneth Kim, doctor of cosmetic surgery)". Koreatown Daily. 2009-06-12. Archived from the original on 2010-07-16. http://www.webcitation.org/5rG6n6CYU. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- ^ a b "더 지 레이저&메디스파, 성형외과 서비스 실시". Koreatown Daily. 2009-05-26. Archived from the original on 2010-07-16. http://www.webcitation.org/5rG6sIoyE. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- ^ Choi, Allan (May 20, 2010). "처진 눈수술 무료상담 받으세요 (Free consultation for drooping eyelid surgery)". The Korea Daily.
- ^ "'Howard Hughes Medical Institute Awards 166 Fellowships for Graduate Education, Medical Student Research Training". HHMI News. 1997-07-18. Archived from the original on 2010-07-16. http://www.webcitation.org/5rG6yYxwx. Retrieved 2010-07-15.
- ^ Kim et al. 2006
- ^ Kim et al. 2007
- ^ Kim et al. 2008
- ^ Kim, Kim & Casas 2010
- ^ "'베벌리 힐스'여성들 감탄 (Impressing the women of Beverly Hills)". Korea Herald Business. 2006-06-28. Archived from the original on 2010-07-16. http://www.webcitation.org/5rG72u3ca. Retrieved 2010-07-08.
- ^ Yi, Ju-hyeon (2009-05-04), "어려운 노인들에 무료 시술 [Free procedures for needy seniors]", Korea Times, archived from the original on 2010-07-16, http://www.webcitation.org/5rG7GCDbv, retrieved 2010-07-08
- ^ Kim, Hye-jung (2009-05-04), 05월 04일 미주 한인사회 소식 [May 4th National Korean American News], archived from the original on 2010-07-16, http://www.webcitation.org/5rFljLvZq, retrieved 2010-07-14
- ^ Hall-Findlay, Elizabeth; Evans, Gregory, eds (forthcoming). Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery of the Breast. Elsevier. ISBN 9780702031809.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Kim Brimer — Infobox State Senator honorific prefix = name = Kim Brimer honorific suffix = state senate = Texas state = Texas district = 10th term start = preceded = [Chris Harris (Texas politician)|Chris Harris] succeeded = Incumbent state house2 = Texas… … Wikipedia
Kenneth D. Kaunda — Kenneth Kaunda 1978 mit dem weißen Tuch, seinem „Markenzeichen“ Kenneth Kaunda, 1970 in Frankfurt am Main … Deutsch Wikipedia
Kenneth Kaunda — (1983) … Deutsch Wikipedia
Kim Stanley — Fotografiada por Carl Van Vechten en 1961 Nombre real Patricia Beth Reid Nacimiento 11 de febrero de 1925 … Wikipedia Español
Kenneth Lane — Kenneth D. Lane is an American physicist and professor of physics at Boston University. Lane is best known for his role in the development of extended technicolor models of physics beyond the Standard Model.Lane received his B.Sc. and M.Sc. in… … Wikipedia
Kim Gandy — (born January 25, 1954) is an American feminist and the president of the National Organization for Women (NOW).Gandy was born in Bossier City in northwestern Louisiana to Alfred Kenneth Gandy and Roma R. Gandy (1927 1998), a native of… … Wikipedia
Kenneth Bigley — Kenneth John Bigley (April 22, 1942 October 7, 2004). Liverpool, England, who was kidnapped in the al Mansour district of Baghdad, Iraq on September 16, 2004, along with Jack Hensley and Eugene Armstrong, both U.S. citizens. The three men were… … Wikipedia
Kim-André Svendby Lie — is one of the Telemark s most talented goalkeepers.At the age of 16, Kim signed a pro contract for Notodden FK.He is ranked as the third keeper, behind Kenneth Baardseng and the new keeper Nuno Marques … Wikipedia
Kenneth Lane — Kenneth D. Lane ist ein US amerikanischer theoretischer Physiker. Lane studierte am Georgia Institute of Technology, wo er 1965 seinen Master Abschluss machte. 1970 wurde er bei Chung Wook Kim an der Johns Hopkins University promoviert. Er ist… … Deutsch Wikipedia
Kenneth Arnold — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Arnold … Wikipédia en Français