Dowry system in India
In India dowry (known as Dahej in Hindi) is the payment in cash or some kind of gifts given to bridegroom's family along with the bride. Generally they include cash, jewellery, electrical appliances, furniture, bedding, crockery, utensils and other household items that help the newly-wed set up her home.
In India the dowry system has been putting great financial burden on the daughters family. It has been one of the reasons for families and women in India resorting to sex selection  favoring to have a son. This has distorted the sex ratio of the India (933 females per thousand males )and have given rise to female foeticide. The payment of a dowry has been prohibited under The 1961 Dowry Prohibition Act in Indian civil law and subsequently by Sections 304B and 498a of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
Dowry originated in the upper caste families as an insurance to the bride to take care of herself and her children during crisis. The rich and rajas (kings) used to gift land as dowry. Mumbai was presented as part of the dowry when Princess Catherine de Braganza of Portugal was married to King Charles II in 1661. The dowry has been considered as 'Stridhan' where 'stri' means women and 'dhan' means 'wealth'.
In 2001 nearly 7,000 dowry deaths were registered in India over inadequate dowry, apart from other mental trauma cases. Bride burning, inducing suicides, physical and mental torture by their husband or in-laws is sometimes found to be done if the bride fails to bring sufficient dowry . There are laws like Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act 2005 that help to reduce domestic violence and to protect women's rights.
Dowry became prohibited by law in 1961. IPC Section 406, IPC Section 304B and IPC Section 498A are sections in Indian law which relate to dowry. Despite the anti-dowry law in India, it is still widely and illegally practiced across the country.
False dowry allegations
Many times the dowry law (article 498a) have been misused by women to lodge false or exaggerated complaints against husbands and entire extended family accusing them of cruel behavior. As per the data only 2% of the cases registered for dowry demand have been able to convict the groom or grooms family. This had raised questions about the alleged misuse of the dowry laws in India.
- ^ Godrej ‘Nupur Jagruti’- Dahej Ke Khilaf Ek Awaz
- ^ "Dowry death: Police recovers Payal’s items". Tribune. http://www.tribuneindia.com/2011/20110205/cth2.htm.
- ^ . May 17, 2011. http://www.nationalrighttolifenews.org/news/2011/05/indian-man-accused-of-killing-wife-who-refused-to-abort-third-daughter/.
- ^ Govt looks to tighten abortion norms - Times Of India
- ^ Son preference attitude among Indian parents - A silent emergency | TwoCircles.net
- ^ Census of India - India at a Glance : Sex Ratio
- ^ AFP. http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5icE4hXn5sk-QkPYRXAeFXXB-mPWA?docId=CNG.477403fb22cbf6f9627f77ef6427bad2.4c1.
- ^ MAHARASHTRA TOURISM, The Official Website of Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation, Govt. of India - Mumbai
- ^ BBC NEWS | Programmes | Crossing Continents | India's dowry deaths
- ^ . Friday 20 May 2011. http://www.deccanherald.com/content/156070/till-death-do-us-part.html.
- ^ Brideburning claims hundreds in India - CNN
- ^ http://mahilaayog.maharashtra.gov.in/new/pdf/dowery-%20act.pdf
- ^ "A satire on weddings, dowry and 'match-making aunties'". http://www.sify.com/news/a-satire-on-weddings-dowry-and-match-making-aunties-news-national-lfsvPBbghai.html.
- ^ Amend dowry law to stop its misuse, SC tells govt - Times Of India
Indian wedding In Hinduism In other religions By region or culture Neighbours of India Types Traditions Rituals Items Family Other Socio-economic issues in India Economy Education Environmental issues Family Children Women Caste system Communalism Crime Health Media Other
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Dowry law in India — Payment of a dowry, gift often financial, has a long history in many parts of the world. In India, the payment of a dowry was prohibited in 1961 under Indian civil law and subsequently by Sections 304B and 498a of the Indian Penal Code were… … Wikipedia
Dowry — A dowry (also known as trousseau or tocher or, in Latin, dos) is the money, goods, or estate that a woman brings forth to the marriage. It contrasts with bride price, which is paid to the bride s parents, and dower, which is property… … Wikipedia
India — /in dee euh/, n. 1. Hindi, Bharat. a republic in S Asia: a union comprising 25 states and 7 union territories; formerly a British colony; gained independence Aug. 15, 1947; became a republic within the Commonwealth of Nations Jan. 26, 1950.… … Universalium
Dowry death — Part of a series on Violence against women … Wikipedia
Dowry Calculator — DowryCalculator.com is a satirical website that parodies India s one of the most prominent and archaic societal evils Dowry. According to Sify, “The calculator mocks the varied factors that potential brides and grooms in the country have to… … Wikipedia
Crime in India — Crime is present in various forms in India. Organized crime include drug trafficking, gunrunning, money laundering, extortion, murder for hire, fraud, human trafficking and poaching. Many criminal operations engage in black marketeering,… … Wikipedia
Women in India — The status of women in India has been subject to many great changes over the past few millennia. From a largely unknown status in ancient times through the low points of the medieval period, to the promotion of equal rights by many reformers, the … Wikipedia
Transport in India — The Mumbai Pune Expressway, India s first expressway … Wikipedia
Prostitution in India — Prostitution legal and regulated … Wikipedia
Polygamy in India — Legal status of polygamy Recognized under civil law Afghanistan Algeria Bahrain Bangladesh Brunei Burkina Faso Cameroon Chad CAR Comoros Congo Djibouti Egypt Ethiopia Gabon The Gambia India1 Indonesia Iran Iraq Jordan Kuwait Libya Mala … Wikipedia