Doing Business in 21st Century India
Doing Business in 21st Century India Author(s) Gunjan Bagla Country United States Language English Subject(s) Marketing Genre(s) Non-fiction Publisher Business Plus Publication date 2008 Media type Book Pages 272 ISBN 0446402249
Doing Business in 21st Century India: How to Profit Today in Tomorrow's Most Exciting Market is a 2008 non-fiction marketing book written by Gunjan Bagla, an Indian-American author and businessman and the managing director of Amritt, Inc.. The book is a guide for North American and European firms on doing business in the rapidly developing Indian market. It was published in hardcover in July of 2008 by Business Plus, an imprint of Hachette Book Group USA. The book was released in hardback in the United States in July 2008 and in paperback to the rest of the world in September 2008.
The book is mainly targeted towards Western investors and entrepreneurs. It contains overviews and analyses of Indian industries that are currently experiencing growth, as well as information about the financial situation in different regions in India and the various religious beliefs and customs. It also gives a brief summary of India's recent history. Audiobook and Kindle versions of the book have reportedly sold well; be aware that the audiobook is abridged from the original, while the Kindle book is identical to the printed volume.
The book cover illustration is a picture of a man with a laptop computer riding an elephant. Bagla narrates the story of the blind men and the elephant in the introduction to the book as a way to describe India to Western businesspeople.
The book was released to highly positive reviews. It currently holds five-star reviews from several of Amazon.com's top reviewers and Vine Voices (reviewers who are given access to advance copies of items such as books, movies, and electronics); top-ten reviewer Joanna Daneman described it as "a very readable, enjoyable book and one that anyone doing business in India ought to read as a starting point." A review of the book on the website ManageSmarter said it "opens the door for anyone seeking to expand or even begin business in India." Garima Sharma's review for the Hindustan Times comments on the book's accessibility, noting that "the only bummer" is Bagla's "surprising neutrality" to 'Indianness'. Other reviewers based in India have similarly expressed views that Bagla should have praised the Indian systems and practices more vigorously.
The book was positively reviewed in the business publications India Today, Business Line, and Businessworld. Ron Somers, the president of the U.S.-India Business Council, called the book "required reading for anyone who wants or has business in India." Jagdish Sheth, the Charles H. Kellstadt Professor of Marketing at the Goizueta Business School of Emory University, called it "an excellent practical guide," and R. Gopalakrishnan of the Tata Group described it as "a refreshingly simple book on a very complex subject."
- Globalisation in India
- International business
- ^ a b Sharma, Garima. "Business class". http://www.hindustantimes.com/News-Feed/booksreviews/Business-class/Article1-335864.aspx. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- ^ Hurlbert, Wayne. "Doing Business in 21st Century India by Gunjan Bagla - Book review". http://blogbusinessworld.blogspot.com/2008/07/doing-business-in-21st-century-india-by.html. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- ^ Daneman, Joanna. "Riding the elephant to success in India". http://www.amazon.com/review/R2HUL91RGR39DJ/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- ^ Yi, Karen. "Doing Business in 21st Century India". http://www.presentations.com/msg/content_display/resources/book_store/e3i20304ae39f30fae8612481230d48385b. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- ^ Bamzai, Kaveree. "Just not there". http://indiatoday.intoday.in/content_mail.php?option=com_content&name=print&id=13584. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- ^ "Winning in India". http://www.blonnet.com/iw/2008/08/24/stories/2008082450611200.htm. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- ^ Rajendran, M.. "A Guide to the Big Elephant". http://www.businessworld.in/index.php/Books-and-Guides/A-Guide-To-The-Big-Elephant.html. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- ^ "Doing Business in 21st Century India". http://www.amritt.com/Doing-Business-In-21st-Century-India.html. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
- ^ a b "Editorial Reviews". http://www.amazon.com/Doing-Business-21st-Century-India-Tomorrows/dp/0446402249/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273545738&sr=8-1. Retrieved 12 May 2010.
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
India — /in dee euh/, n. 1. Hindi, Bharat. a republic in S Asia: a union comprising 25 states and 7 union territories; formerly a British colony; gained independence Aug. 15, 1947; became a republic within the Commonwealth of Nations Jan. 26, 1950.… … Universalium
Business and Industry Review — ▪ 1999 Introduction Overview Annual Average Rates of Growth of Manufacturing Output, 1980 97, Table Pattern of Output, 1994 97, Table Index Numbers of Production, Employment, and Productivity in Manufacturing Industries, Table (For Annual… … Universalium
History of the Republic of India — Part of a series on the History of Modern India Pre Independence … Wikipedia
Cinema of India — South Asian cinema Cinema of Afghanistan Cinema of Bangladesh Bengali cinema Cinema of India Assamese cinema Bengali cinema B … Wikipedia
Hyderabad, India — This article is about the city in India. For its namesake district, see Hyderabad district, India. Hyderabad హైదరాబాద్ حیدر آباد The City of Pearls metropolitan city … Wikipedia
Harvard Business School — Infobox University name = Harvard Business School image size = 170px established = 1908 type = Private dean = Jay O. Light city = Boston state = Massachusetts country = USA students = 1,800 MBA and 100 Doctoral faculty = 200 staff = 1,100 campus … Wikipedia
Gunjan Bagla — Infobox Person | image size = 150px name = Gunjan Bagla birth date = 1956 occupation = Author Gunjan Bagla (born 1956) is the author of Doing Business in 21st Century India (Business Plus; formerly Warner Books; Hachette Book Group USA) Bagla is… … Wikipedia
List of Indian Americans — This is a list of Indian Americans who are famous, have made significant contributions to the American culture or society politically, artistically or scientifically, or have appeared in the news numerous times:ListAcademic* Shreeram Shankar… … Wikipedia
List of distinguished Agrawals — This is a partial list of prominent Agrawals.Historical*Nattal Sahu, merchant prince during the rule of Tomar Anangapal and patron of Vibudh Shridhar *Vibudh Shridhar, author and poet, composer of several textsMughal period* Sahu Todar,… … Wikipedia
Economy of Malaysia — Fixed exchange rates 1 Ringgit = 100 sen Fiscal year Calendar year … Wikipedia