Doesn't Mean Anything
"Doesn't Mean Anything" Single by Alicia Keys from the album The Element of Freedom B-side "Dreaming" Released September 22, 2009 Format Digital download, CD single Recorded 2009 at
Long Island, New York
The Oven Studios
Los Angeles, California
Genre R&B, soul Length 4:36 (album version)
3:53 (radio edit)
Label J Writer(s) Alicia Keys, Kerry Brothers, Jr. Producer Alicia Keys, Kerry "Krucial" Brothers Alicia Keys singles chronology "Empire State of Mind"
"Doesn't Mean Anything"
"Looking for Paradise"
"Doesn't Mean Anything" is a song by American recording artist Alicia Keys. It written and produced by Keys and longtime partner Kerry "Krucial" Brothers for her fourth studio album, The Element of Freedom (2009), with its lyrics speaking about the importance of love against materialism and fake needs.
The track debuted on September 15, 2009, on Keys' official website and was released as the album's lead single the following month, It attained chart success in several territories, reaching the top ten in Belgium, Germany, Japan, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom, and although it did not experience success in the US, "Doesn't Mean Anything" managed to reach number fourteen on the US Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. This was her first lead single from a studio album that has lost the Top 10 on the Hot 100 and R&B/Hip-Hop chart.
Keys called the song as "very different—it almost feels like you're flying. It has that piano, heavy-drum feeling." She elaborated the song's meaning, saying, "You dream of having all these things, you dream of going all these places. But what's the point of doing that, having that, if the one you want to be there isn't with you?" The song was released through Keys' YouTube channel on September 22, 2009, after her performance at the 2009 MTV Video Music Awards along Jay-Z, singing "Empire State of Mind".
The single was released on the iTunes Store on September 22, 2009, and debuted on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs at number 32, making her highest debut on that chart, and has peaked at number 14. It has also debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 at number 61, making it her highest debut since "No One", which debuted at number 71. It also appeared on the Canadian Hot 100 at number 66. Although it had a higher debut than "No One", "Doesn't Mean Anything" failed to chart high on the Billboard Hot 100, unlike the lead single from her previous album. It is one of Keys' least successful singles to date in the United States and her second lowest peaking song on the Billboard Hot 100. "Doesn't Mean Anything" was released on November 30, 2009 in the United Kingdom. Keys performed the song on The X Factor on November 29, 2009, with a medley of "Empire State of Mind (Part II) Broken Down" and "No One". It debuted at number eight on the UK Singles Chart, becoming Keys highest-charting debut there since "Fallin'" in 2001, and her seventh top ten single in the UK. "Doesn't Mean Anything" peaked at number four on the UK R&B Singles Chart and has spent, so far, fourteen weeks on the UK Singles Chart.
The song received positive reviews from the critics. Mariel Concepcion of Billboard magazine gave the song a positive review, commenting that "A truly confident woman lets herself be vulnerable at the right time" and compared favorably the song to Keys' previous hits 'No One' and 'Superwoman' by saying that "the comparisons are more than welcome, because—as Keys understands so well—everyone needs love, no matter how independent they may be." Nick Levine of Digital Spy gave the song a favorable review, saying that "the production is classic and gimmick-free, the chorus has the same timeless feel that turned 'No One' and 'If I Ain't Got You' into modern standards, and the whole thing oozes class the way a ripe brie oozes cheesey goodness" and then adding "the words 'classic' and 'timeless' apply to the lyrics too."
The music video for "Doesn't Mean Anything" was filmed on September 27–28, 2009. It was directed by P. R. Brown. The video was released on October 19, 2009. In the behind-the-scenes of the video, Keys explained the representation of the mountain climb scene, "Because we all have mountains to climb in our life you know? And you can reach the top, you can climb and you can make it. And as you observe the landscape, the question is 'Are you gonna fly or are you gonna fall?'. And I'm gonna fly, and we all gonna fly." The video ranked at number 42 on BET's Notarized: Top 100 Videos of 2009 countdown.
The music video begins with Keys walking onto the balcony of her apartment, looking out at the city uttering the words, "This beautiful city seems empty. All the people in the world and you can still feel lonely. What's the point of having it all without the person you love. Sometimes you just need to start again in order to fly." The song then starts to play, with Keys playing the piano in her apartment, and also scenes of her sitting on the couch, and looking out of the window at the sunset. Various objects around the apartment then start to disappear, including a photograph on the piano of her and her lover. The scene then changes once her surroundings have all eventually disappeared, showing Keys in a new outfit, in the middle of a desert-like setting, with her piano. She is then seen to walk up the path she is on, eventually leading to a mountain. Keys then climbs the mountain, and once she has reached the top, looks out at the landscape surrounding her.
- US promo CD single
- "Doesn't Mean Anything" (Radio edit) — 3:53
- "Doesn't Mean Anything" (Main version) — 4:36
- "Doesn't Mean Anything" (Instrumental) — 4:38
- "Dreaming" — 4:26
- UK CD & Digital download
- "Doesn't Mean Anything" — 4:35
- "Dreaming" — 4:33
Chart (2009) Peak
Australia (ARIA) 96 Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 75) 15 Belgium (Ultratip Flanders) 10 Belgium (Ultratop 40 Wallonia) 22 Canada (Canadian Hot 100) 66 Czech Republic (IFPI) 31 European Hot 100 Singles 15 France (SNEP) Download Chart 17 Germany (Media Control AG) 8 Ireland (IRMA) 34 Italy (FIMI) 20 Japan (Japan Hot 100) 3 Netherlands (Dutch Top 40) 27 New Zealand (RIANZ) 22 Slovakia (IFPI) 31 Spain (PROMUSICAE) 22 Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade) 5 UK Singles (The Official Charts Company) 8 US Billboard Hot 100 60 US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard) 14
Chart (2009) Position Italian Singles Chart 65 U.K Singles Chart 160 U.S R&B/Hip-Hop Songs 95 Chart (2010) Position European Hot 100 Singles 96 Japanese Digital Track Chart 52 U.K Singles Chart 157
- ^ Vena, Jocelyn (2009-10-09). "Alicia Keys to Release The Element of Freedom in December". MTV News. http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1623531/20091009/keys_alicia.jhtml. Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- ^ Vozick-Levinson, Simon (2009-09-15). "Alicia Keys' 'Doesn't Mean Anything' hits the Web: Hear it here". Entertainment Weekly. Time. http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/09/15/alicia-keys-doesnt-mean-anything/. Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- ^ "Top Hip-Hop and R&B Songs & Singles Charts". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media. http://www.billboard.com/charts#/charts/r-b-hip-hop-songs?begin=11&order=position. Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- ^ a b Concepcion, Mariel (2009-10-09). "Alicia Keys Reveals 'Freedom' Details". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media. http://www.billboard.com/news#/news/alicia-keys-reveals-freedom-details-1004021133.story. Retrieved 2009-10-10.
- ^ Retrieved on October 22, 2009
- ^ http://www.chartstats.com/songinfo.php?id=34669
- ^ http://www.billboard.com/#/news/alicia-keys-doesn-t-mean-a-thing-1004016188.story
- ^ "Music — The Sound — Alicia Keys, it's great to have you back". Digital Spy. 2009-09-25. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/a179171/alicia-keys-its-great-to-have-you-back.html. Retrieved 2009-10-31.
- ^ "On The Set: Alicia Keys 'Doesn't Mean Anything' Video". Rap Radar. 2009-09-28. http://rapradar.com/2009/09/28/on-the-set-alicia-keys-dont-mean-anything/. Retrieved 2009-10-31.
- ^ "On The Set Vol. 2: Alicia Keys 'Doesn’t Mean Anything' Video". Rap Radar. 2009-09-28. http://rapradar.com/2009/09/28/on-the-set-vol-2-alicia-keys-doesnt-mean-anything-video/. Retrieved 2009-10-31.
- ^ "Video: Alicia Keys – 'Doesn't Mean Anything'". Rap-Up.com. 2009-10-19. http://www.rap-up.com/2009/10/19/video-alicia-keys-doesnt-mean-anything/. Retrieved 2009-12-09.
- ^ Doesn't Mean Anything: Alicia Keys: Amazon.co.uk: MP3 Downloads
- ^ "The ARIA Report, Week Commencing ~ 28 December 2009 ~ Issue #1035. See p. 4" ARIA Top 100 Singles. National Library of Australia.
- ^ "Alicia Keys – Doesn't Mean Anything – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Hung Medien.
- ^ "Ultratop.be – Alicia Keys – Doesn't Mean Anything" (in Dutch). Ultratip. ULTRATOP & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch.
- ^ "Ultratop.be – Alicia Keys – Doesn't Mean Anything" (in French). Ultratop 40. Ultratop & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch.
- ^ "Alicia Keys Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Alicia Keys. Prometheus Global Media.
- ^ "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201000 into search.
- ^ "Alicia Keys Album & Song Chart History" European Hot 100 for Alicia Keys. Prometheus Global Media.
- ^ "lescharts.com – Les charts français" (in French). Les classement de telechargement single. Hung Medien.
- ^ "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche - musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- ^ "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart. Irish Recorded Music Association.
- ^ "Italiancharts.com – Alicia Keys – Doesn't Mean Anything". Top Digital Download. Hung Medien.
- ^ "Alicia Keys Album & Song Chart History" Japan Hot 100 for Alicia Keys. Prometheus Global Media.
- ^ "Nederlandse Top 40 – week 45, 2009" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40 Stichting Nederlandse Top 40.
- ^ "Charts.org.nz – Alicia Keys – Doesn't Mean Anything". Top 40 Singles. Hung Medien.
- ^ "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200952 into search.
- ^ "Spanishcharts.com – Alicia Keys – Doesn't Mean Anything" Canciones Top 50. Hung Medien.
- ^ "Alicia Keys – Doesn't Mean Anything – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart. Hung Medien.
- ^ "Chart Stats – Alicia Keys – Doesn't Mean Anything" UK Singles Chart. Chart Stats.
- ^ "Alicia Keys Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Alicia Keys. Prometheus Global Media.
- ^ "Alicia Keys Album & Song Chart History" Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Alicia Keys. Prometheus Global Media.
- ^ "Classifiche annuali dei cd, dvd, compilation più venduti e digital download più scaricati online nel 2009" (in Italian). Federation of the Italian Music Industry. January 19, 2010. http://www.fimi.it/dett_ddmercato.php?id=47. Retrieved December 18, 2010.
- ^ "UK Year-End Charts 2009". The Official Charts Company. ChartsPlus. http://www.ukchartsplus.co.uk/UKChartsPlusYE2009.pdf. Retrieved January 3, 2011.
- ^ "Hot 100 R&B/Hip-Hop Songs". Billboard. http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/charts/yearendcharts/2009/hot-r-and-and-b-hip-hop-songs. Retrieved July 10, 2011.
- ^ "2010 Year End Charts – European Hot 100 Singles". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/charts/yearendcharts/2010/european-hot-100-singles. Retrieved June 22, 2011.
- ^ "レコード協会調べ 2009年12月16日～2010年12月14日「着うたフル(R)」 2010年有料音楽配信「年間チャート」（通称：レコ協チャート） [Record Association Analysis: December 16, 2009—December 14, 2010 Full-length Cellphone Download 2010 paid digital sales "Yearly Chart" (Abbreviated: RIAJ Chart)]". Recording Industry Association of Japan. December 20, 2010. http://www.riaj.or.jp/release/2010/pdf/pr101220.pdf. Retrieved December 22, 2010.
- ^ "UK Year-End Charts 2010". The Official Charts Company. ChartsPlus. http://www.ukchartsplus.co.uk/UKChartsPlusYE2010.pdf. Retrieved June 22, 2011.
Alicia Keys singles Songs in A Minor The Diary of Alicia Keys Unplugged As I Am The Element of Freedom"Doesn't Mean Anything" • "Try Sleeping with a Broken Heart" • "Empire State of Mind (Part II) Broken Down" • "Un-Thinkable (I'm Ready)" • "Put It in a Love Song" • "Wait Til You See My Smile" Other singles
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Doesn’t Mean Anything — Single par Alicia Keys extrait de l’album The Element of Freedom Face B Dreaming Sortie 22 Septembre 2009 Enregistrement 2009 Durée 4:36 (album version) … Wikipédia en Français
doesn't mean anything — meaningless, unimportant, trivial … English contemporary dictionary
mean — mean1 [ min ] (past tense and past participle meant [ ment ] ) verb transitive *** 1. ) to have a particular meaning: The word means something different in French. What does pulchritude mean? mean something by something: Everything depends on… … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
mean — 1 /mi:n/ verb (T) past tense and past participle meant /ment/ 1 HAVE A PARTICULAR MEETING (not in progressive) to have or represent a particular meaning: What does Konbanwa mean in English? It means Good Evening . | The red light means Stop . |… … Longman dictionary of contemporary English
mean — I UK [miːn] / US [mɪn] verb [transitive] Word forms mean : present tense I/you/we/they mean he/she/it means present participle meaning past tense meant UK [ment] / US past participle meant *** Get it right: mean: When you want to say what… … English dictionary
mean — mean1 W1S1 [mi:n] v [T] past tense and past participle meant [ment] ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ 1¦(have a particular meaning)¦ 2¦(intend to say something)¦ 3¦(intend to do something)¦ 4¦(result in something)¦ 5¦(be familiar)¦ 6¦(say something seriously)¦ 7¦(how… … Dictionary of contemporary English
mean — I [[t]mi͟ːn[/t]] VERB USES ♦ means, meaning, meant (Please look at category 19 to see if the expression you are looking for is shown under another headword.) 1) VERB: no cont If you want to know what a word, code, signal, or gesture means, you… … English dictionary
Mean (song) — Mean … Wikipedia
It's Not Easy Being Mean — Infobox Book | name = The Clique: It s Not Easy Being Mean title orig = translator = image caption = author = Lisi Harrison cover artist = Amy Greenspan, Roger Moenks, and Laurent Alfieri country = United States language = English series = The… … Wikipedia
The Element of Freedom — Album par Alicia Keys Sortie 15 décembre 2009 … Wikipédia en Français