Full-screen writing program
In computing, a full-screen writing program or distraction-free editor is a text editor that occupies the full display with the purpose of isolating the writer from the operating system (OS) and other applications. In this way one should be able to focus on the writing alone, with no distractions from the OS and a cluttered interface. Often distraction-free editors feature a dark background and a text field, which is only about one third the width of the screen. The font is then in a brighter colour like green. However, most distraction-free editors include customisable user interfaces. Some editors support rich text editing.
List of full screen editors
Name Operating system support Notable aspects, references CodeRoom Linux, Mac OS, Windows Supports syntax highlighting, written in C++ using Qt FocusWriter Linux, Mac OS, Windows Highly customisable KoalaWriter Linux, Mac OS, Windows Clone of OmmWriter Marave Linux Similar to OmmWriter, CreaWriter; supports syntax highlighting PyRoom Linux, Mac OS Written in Python QuiEdit Linux, Windows Written in Python; supports spell checking (through Hunspell) and basic text formatting. RubyRoom Linux Written in Ruby TextRoom Linux, Mac OS, Windows Supports rich text gedit Cross-platform LightWrite Web based Written in Python/Django. Features save online, export to file and 2 color modes. Free and Open Source.
Name Operating system support Notable aspects, references DarkRoom Windows Clone of WriteRoom for Windows .NET JDarkRoom Linux, Mac OS, Windows Clone of DarkRoom written in Java Q10 Windows Writemonkey Windows ZenEdit Windows Portable, consists of only one binary file
Name Operating system support Notable aspects, references CreaWriter Windows Clone of OmmWriter for Windows; has limited free version OmmWriter Mac OS Supports images as backgrounds, and a player for ambient music Sublime Text Linux, Mac OS, Windows customisable, for programmers, has free trial version WriteRoom Mac OS Simple Xiosis Scribe Windows ZenWriter Windows Simple, with background images and ambient music
Rich text support
Some distraction-free editors support rich text editing. These include CreaWriter, TextRoom, and WriteRoom. In some cases, this feature turned off per default and must be set by a user.
Currently, only a few distraction-free editors support syntax highlighting. CodeRoom is an open source project with the purpose of creating a distraction-free code editor with customisable highlighting schemes. The latest version of Marave supports syntax highlighting. Sublime Text supports a distraction-free full-screen view.
Aids to writing
Word count is a common feature in these editors. Other aids can include spell checkers, auto-corrections and quick text templates.
- ^ Full Screen Writing Program (English translation)
- ^ a b "Comparison of distraction-free editors on bweaver.net.". http://bweaver.net/distraction-free-text-editing.
- ^ "Blog post on innovations in text editing.". http://blog.quplo.com/2010/05/5-innovations-in-text-editing-and-ides/.
- ^ "Poll on lifehacker.com on best distraction-free editor". http://lifehacker.com/5689579/five-best-distraction+free-writing-tools.
- ^ "Tips and Tricks for Distraction-Free Writing". http://www.lifehack.org/articles/productivity/tips-and-tricks-for-distraction-free-writing.html.
- ^ "ghacks.net on distraction-free on the distraction-free editor ZenEdit.". http://www.ghacks.net/2010/05/24/distraction-free-text-editor-zen-edit/.
- ^ "List of distraction-free editors". http://linuxandfriends.com/2008/06/12/text-editors-for-distraction-free-writing/.
- ^ "Tech Malaya blog post on some of the popular distraction-free editors". http://www.techmalaya.com/2009/02/07/full-screen-text-editor-blogger/.
- ^ a b "CodeRoom on Google code". http://code.google.com/p/coderoom/.
- ^ "FocusWriter official website". http://gottcode.org/focuswriter/.
- ^ "KoalaWriter on Google code". http://code.google.com/p/koalawriter/.
- ^ a b "Marave on Google code". http://code.google.com/p/marave/.
- ^ "PyRoom official website". http://pyroom.org/.
- ^ "QuiEdit official website". http://www.cogsci.nl/software/quiedit.
- ^ "RubyRoom official website". http://rubyroom.rubyforge.org/.
- ^ a b "TextRoom on Google code". http://code.google.com/p/textroom/.
- ^ "LightWrite - Gun.io". http://gun.io/w/.
- ^ "LightWrite, A Free Online WriteRoom Clone". http://gun.io/blog/lightwrite-a-free-online-writeroom-clone/.
- ^ "DarkRoom official website". http://they.misled.us/dark-room.
- ^ "JDarkRoom official website". http://www.codealchemists.com/jdarkroom/.
- ^ "ZenEdit official website". http://ufridman.org/zenedit.html.
- ^ a b "CreaWriter official website". http://www.creawriter.com/.
- ^ "OmmWriter official website FAQ". http://www.ommwriter.com/en/frequently-meditated-questions.html.
- ^ a b "Announcement of distraction-free full-screen support on Sublime Text official blog". http://www.sublimetext.com/blog/articles/distraction-free-editing.
- ^ a b "Sublime Text features". http://www.sublimetext.com/features.
- ^ "Sublime Text download section". http://www.sublimetext.com/download.
- ^ "WriteRoom official website". http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/products/writeroom/.
- ^ Eisenman, Bonnie (8 July 2010). "Writeroom Review". 148Apps. TrouserMac Industries. http://www.148apps.com/reviews/writeroom-review/. Retrieved 23 April 2011.
- ^ Elliott, Amy-Mae (19 January 2011). "How to: Beat Writer’s Block Online". Mashable. http://mashable.com/2011/01/19/beat-writers-block/. Retrieved 23 April 2011.
- ^ "ZenWriter website". http://beenokle.com/zenwriter.html.
- ^ a b "Comparison of distraction-free editors for OS-X". http://thomas.pelletier.im/2010/02/test-of-distraction-less-text-editors-on-os-x/.
- ^ Q10 is a Full Screen Writing Program
- CodeRoom on Google code
- CreaWriter official website
- DarkRoom official website
- FocusWriter official website
- JDarkRoom official website
- KoalaWriter on Google code
- LightWrite official website
- Marave on Google code
- OmmWriter official website
- PyRoom official website
- Q10 official website
- QuiEdit official website
- RubyRoom official website
- Sublime Text official website
- TextRoom on Google code
- WriteRoom official website
- Xiosis Scribe official website
- ZenEdit official website
- ZenWriter official website
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Full body scanner — Backscatter x ray image of TSA Security Laboratory Director Susan Hallowell. A full body scanner is a device that creates an image of a person s nude body through their clothing to look for hidden objects without physically removing their clothes … Wikipedia
Screen Actors Guild — Infobox Union name = Screen Actors Guild country = United States affiliation = AFL CIO members = 139,200 founded = 1933 office = Hollywood, Los Angeles, California people = Alan Rosenberg, President Connie Stevens, Secretary Treasurer Kent McCord … Wikipedia
National Merit Scholarship Program — Logo of the National Merit Scholarship Corporation The National Merit Scholarship Program is a United States academic scholarship competition for recognition and college scholarships administered by National Merit Scholarship Corporation (NMSC),… … Wikipedia
Television program — Not to be confused with broadcast programming. A television program (usually television programme outside North America), also called television show, is a segment of content which is intended to be broadcast on television. It may be a one time… … Wikipedia
Suspense (radio program) — Infobox Radio Show show name = Suspense imagesize = 250px caption = Lurene Tuttle (left) and Rosalind Russell in The Sisters on Suspense in 1948. other names = format = Drama and Suspense runtime = 30 min or 1 hour country = United States… … Wikipedia
Tungsten (handheld) — Information appliance title=Tungsten E manufacturer=Palm, Inc. type=Personal digital assistant connectivity=Universal Serial Bus, IrDA media=Secure Digital card input=Touchscreen display=320 x 320 16 bit TFT LCD operatingsystem=Palm OS 5.2.1… … Wikipedia
performing arts — arts or skills that require public performance, as acting, singing, or dancing. [1945 50] * * * ▪ 2009 Introduction Music Classical. The last vestiges of the Cold War seemed to thaw for a moment on Feb. 26, 2008, when the unfamiliar strains … Universalium
Computers and Information Systems — ▪ 2009 Introduction Smartphone: The New Computer. The market for the smartphone in reality a handheld computer for Web browsing, e mail, music, and video that was integrated with a cellular telephone continued to grow in 2008. According to… … Universalium
computer — computerlike, adj. /keuhm pyooh teuhr/, n. 1. Also called processor. an electronic device designed to accept data, perform prescribed mathematical and logical operations at high speed, and display the results of these operations. Cf. analog… … Universalium
theatre — /thee euh teuhr, theeeu /, n. theater. * * * I Building or space in which performances are given before an audience. It contains an auditorium and stage. In ancient Greece, where Western theatre began (5th century BC), theatres were constructed… … Universalium