List of Source engine mods
- Black Mesa - A total conversion mod of Half-Life 2 that features the original Half-Life storyline, characters, and enemies in the high-definition graphics of the Source engine. Currently under development, was aimed for a 2009 release, but now release date is possibly late 2011.
- Eclipse - A fantasy themed action-adventure total conversion mod in 3rd person view, developed by students of The Guildhall at SMU.
- Received 2005 Editor's Choice (released mod) from Mod DB.
- Flipside - a mod where the player takes the role of a mental patient who is breaking out. Flipside was an IGF 2008 Finalist and received Mod DB's 2007 Editor's Choice award.
- MINERVA - Episodic single-player mod based in the Half-Life 2 universe, with a style of storytelling inspired by classic games such as Marathon and System Shock. The first chapter, Metastasis, consists of 4 episodes: Carcinogenesis (September 2005), Downhill Struggle (March 3, 2006), Depth Charge (October 1, 2007), and Pegasus (October 1, 2007). MINERVA was ranked #11 mod of 2005, #5 mod of 2006 and #5 mod of 2007 by Mod DB.
- Nightmare House 2 - This horror-themed mod was nominated at the ModDB 2010 Mod of the Year awards for Best Original Art, Best Singleplayer Mod and Player's Choice Mod of the Year categories, eventually winning 2nd place at the latter.
- Portal: Prelude - An unofficial prequel to Portal, set before the activation of GLaDOS when scientists used to watch over the test chambers and instruct the test subjects. Gameplay is similar to Portal in its basic aspects: There are 19 Test Chambers in which puzzles must be solved in conjunction with a "portal device".
- Research and Development, a "non-combative" modification created by Matt Bortolino that has been likened to Portal, in which the player uses the gravity gun and other aspects of the Source engine physics to solve puzzles and progress forward.
- Riot Act - A mod set in the universe of Half-Life 2. Players take on the role of Jamil Lee, a young member of the civilian resistance. She begins the game imprisoned at Nova Prospekt by the Combine.
- The Stanley Parable - An interactive fiction modification, with multiple endings depending on decisions made by the player.
- Weekday Warrior - A comic book mod developed by students of The Guildhall at SMU. It won Best Mod of the 2007 Independent Games Festival Mod Competition.
- Dear Esther - An experimental "ghost story" created as a research project at the University of Portsmouth. It was released in 2008 as a free mod, and is currently being remade for a commercial release in 2011.
- Age of Chivalry - A multiplayer modification. Players fight for either the Mason Order or Agathian Knights in a fictional medieval environment using swords, spears and many other medieval weapons. Version 1.0 was released on 12/01/07. Age of Chivalry received Mod DB Editor's Choice for 2007.
- Battlegrounds 2 - BG2 places you in the time period of the revolutionary war in America. American rebels are fighting for their freedom and the troops of the british crown are trying to keep control of the colonies.
- Dino D-Day - The game is set in 1942 during World War II. The premise of the game is that Adolf Hitler has resurrected dinosaurs, and players can battle online choosing to serve either the Allied nations or the Nazis. The game has been described as a new twist on "the overdone World War II FPS ... that has become a running joke in the industry and gaming press".
- Dystopia - A cyberpunk-themed total conversion, somewhat based on popular role-playing game Shadowrun, that pits Punk mercenaries against Corporate security forces in both the physical world and cyberspace. Last release February 6, 2009. Dystopia received the Player's Choice Honorable Mention from Mod DB in 2006, Best Mod for Half-Life 2 during the Independent Games Festival in 2006, and received the "Mod Of The Year - 3rd place" and "Genre Award - Action" for mods of 2005 by Mod DB.
- Empires - A first-person shooter/real-time strategy hybrid where each team led by a commander, viewing the world in the top-down perspective leading troops in the first-person perspective. It features a variety of player classes and vehicles. Empires has received media coverage from IGF, PC Games magazine, PC Action magazine, SteamFriends, and Planet Half-Life. It was also awarded the "Genre Award: Multi-Genre" from Mod DB in 2006, won 3rd place Player's Choice at Mod DB's MOTY awards 2007, and a received a Silver award from SteamFriends as 2nd best Source mod of 2007.
- Eternal Silence - A hard science fiction, class-based first-person shooter featuring infantry and space combat scenarios. Eternal Silence pits two capital ships of rival factions against one another for domination of human-occupied space. It won "Best Mod - Multiplayer FPS" during the Independent Games Festival in 2006, "Best Multiplayer Mod of the Year - Honorable Mention" from Mod DB in 2006, and "Mod DB Editors' Choice Award" in 2007.
- Fortress Forever - A mod based on Valve's Team Fortress Classic, but has been created entirely from scratch by the Fortress Forever development team. The intended scope of Fortress Forever is to please the adamant Team Fortress Classic fans, while at the same time creating a game enjoyable enough to players new to Team Fortress styled games. The mod was released on September 13, 2007. Fortress Forever received "Best mod of 2007" in PC Gamer magazine.
- Garry's Mod - A "sandbox" mod that allows the player to manipulate objects using the Source physics engine. Allows both single- and multi-player interaction. Version 10 released commercially and version 9 available for free on Steam. Garry's Mod received Mod DB's "Player's Choice Honorable Mention" from Mod DB in 2006, "Mod of the Year" in 2005 and "Genre Award: Puzzle" from in 2005.
- GoldenEye: Source - A total conversion for Half-Life 2 that aims to recreate the original Nintendo 64 classic GoldenEye 007. It received Mod DB's "Editors' Choice for Reinvention" in 2006, "Third Place, Mod of the Year" in 2006, and "Fourth Place, Top Unreleased Mods" in 2005.
- Half-Life 2: Capture the Flag - A simple capture-the-flag mod. Players are divided into two teams, Combine and Rebels, and try to steal the other team's flag from their base and return it to their own for points, with the aid of ability enhancing runes and various weapons.
- The Hidden - Puts one player (called The Hidden) as an invisible genetically-modified human against a team of SWAT-like operatives called the Infinitum Research Intercept Squad, (IRIS) with regular human attributes but a selection of weapons to choose. The IRIS team's objective is to hunt down the Hidden, while the Hidden attempts to stalk and kill the IRIS team without being detected. Hidden: Source won Mod DB's "Fourth Place, Mod of the Year" in 2006, "Editors' Choice for Ambience" in 2006, and "Editors' Choice for Multiplayer" in 2005.
- Insurgency: Modern Infantry Combat - Is a total conversion mod for Valve Software's Source engine. Insurgency is a multiplayer, tactical first person shooter, and implements elements of realism, in an attempt to increase player immersion and promote teamwork. The game is primarily set in the Iraq war, however some maps are set in Afghanistan, and future updates are planned to expand the setting into a hypothetical conflict in Kosovo and other theatres. Insurgency received the Player's Choice 2007 "Mod of the Year" award from ModDB, as well as the "Best Source Mod of 2007" Gold Award from Steamfriends.
- Iron Grip: The Oppression - A first-person shooter/real-time strategy hybrid set within the fictional Iron Grip universe in a predominantly urban setting. The game pits two separate factions against each other: the Rahmos and the Resistance. Playing as the Rahmos gives at least one, but typically fewer players control of an array of AI-controlled NPCs in a top-down real-time strategy perspective. Players in the resistance, conversely, are individual players in the first-person perspective fighting the player-controlled NPCs. Awarded Editors' Choice for Innovation from Mod DB in 2006, and Players' Choice Honorable Mention for Multi-Genre from Mod DB in 2006.
- Jailbreak Source - A team based first-person shooter where each team has a jail in their base. When an enemy player is killed, they will respawn inside your jail, where they can either await release by their own team who are fighting to get to the release button, or escape by their own means, through devious and deadly escape routes. Jailbreak Source has received media coverage and reviews from Planet Half-Life, Total PC Gaming Magazine, and ModDB. Alongside Interviews with ModDB  and Interlopers.net 
- Modular Combat - Modular Combat is a Half-Life 2 Deathmatch role-playing shooter mod based in the Half-Life universe. The Resistance, Combine, and Aperture Science are testing the HEV Mark VI Combat System. Combatants face off against each other, and monsters, in the Controlled Combat Testing Facility, which is monitored by a super-computer known as BoSS. The gameplay involves "modules" that can be upgraded and used together in deadly combinations.
- Mario Kart Source - A Half-Life 2 mod which attempts to use the best features from each game in the Mario Kart series. It is not licensed by Nintendo and has received criticism for its lack of originality. The release date for this mod has yet to be announced.
- NeoTokyo is a Half-Life 2 mod which puts the player into a future Tokyo universe inspired by anime such as Akira and Ghost in the Shell developed by Studio Radi-8.
- No More Room in Hell is a total conversion inspired by the films of George Romero. This survival horror game features eight-player co-op and hordes of npc zombies.
- Perfect Dark: Source is a total conversion for the video game Half-Life 2 that aims to recreate the original Nintendo 64 game Perfect Dark. It was listed among the top 100 mods of 2007 at Mod-DB and "Honorable Mention" in the top unreleased mods of 2006 Mod DB feature.
- Pirates, Vikings and Knights II - A mostly melee-based mod featuring three factions – Pirates, Vikings and Knights – and includes map objectives such as Deathmatch or Capture the Flag.
- Plan of Attack - A multiplayer first-person shooter that highlights strategy, teamwork, and out-thinking the enemy. Last official release October 5, 2005. However, the development team has halted development and released the source code of the mod. Currently a new mod team is recruiting to continue development of the mod.
- Resistance and Liberation - A WW2 infantry simulation mod for HL2 that realistically portrays the events and actions taken by the 82nd Airborne during their stay in Normandy. RnL features include no hud, no crosshair and no death messages to create a highly immersed and team play orientated game play with real 3D voice chat that is range limited.
- SourceForts - A capture-the-flag mod. Teams use gravity guns to build a fort out of given parts during the build phases, and assault the other team's fort during the combat phases. One can play as a Soldier, Sniper, Engineer, Rocketeer, or Scout in a fast-paced battle for glory. Last release September 1, 2008.
- Synergy - A cooperative mod. Synergy supports official campaigns by Valve, user-made levels, and other third-party mods (MINERVA, City 7, and Riot Act so far). In September 2008, Valve introduced it as one of the first five Source mods being offered on Steam and supported by Steamworks.
- WW1: Source - A World War I modification for the Source Engine, it is an entirely multiplayer-based, tactical first-person shooter placing the player in the shoes of either an Allied or Central Powers soldier on the Western Front, approximately between 1915 and 1918. Each side bears three classes- Rifleman, Machine Gunner, and Officer, with each possessing their own abilities and style of combat. The overall goal of each round is to capture all control points and/or deplete the enemy "morale bar". Released on February 21st, 2010.
- Zombie Panic! Source - A team-based zombie themed mod which pits player-controlled survivors against player-controlled zombies. The gameplay style simulates an outbreak: The zombie team starts with only a few players, but their ranks grow as survivors are defeated and switch to the zombie team. Its first public release was on December 28, 2007, and it received the Mod DB, players' choice, top unreleased mod award for 2007.
- ^ 
- ^ a b "Feature: Mods of 2005 - Editor's Choice". http://features.moddb.com/218/mods-of-2005/?fpage=8. Retrieved 2007-04-29.
- ^ The 10th Annual Independent Games Festival
- ^ a b c "2007 Mod of the Year Awards". Archived from the original on 2008-04-21. http://web.archive.org/web/20080421060716/http://www.moddb.com/events/2007-mod-of-the-year-awards/features/25958/editors-choice-winners-showcase. Retrieved 2008-05-04.
- ^ http://www.moddb.com/events/2010-mod-of-the-year-awards/features/editors-choice-best-original-art-2010
- ^ http://www.moddb.com/events/2010-mod-of-the-year-awards/features/editors-choice-best-singleplayer-mod-2010
- ^ http://www.moddb.com/events/2010-mod-of-the-year-awards/features/players-choice-mod-of-the-year-2010
- ^ Cavalli, Earnest (2008-10-08). "Portal: Prelude Now Available". Wired. http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/10/portal-prelude.html. Retrieved 2008-10-09.
- ^ Breckon, Nick (2009-07-27). "Play This Mod: Research & Development". Shacknews. http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59728. Retrieved 2009-07-27.
- ^ Meer, Alec (2009-07-20). "Science In Action: Research & Development". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/07/20/science-in-action-research-development/. Retrieved 2009-07-27.
- ^ Rossignol, Jim. "Riot TrActors". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2007/10/06/riot-tractors/. Retrieved 2009-06-12.
- ^ McElroy, Justin (2011-08-05). "The Stanley Parable is a thoughtful Half-Life 2 mod". Joystiq. http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/05/the-stanley-parable-is-a-thoughtful-half-life-2-mod/. Retrieved 2011-08-05.
- ^ Kuchera, Ben (2011-08-05). "The Stanley Parable: we're going to cover this HL2 mod in a new way". Ars Technica. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/08/the-stanley-parable-were-going-to-cover-this-hl2-mod-in-a-new-way.ars. Retrieved 2011-08-05.
- ^ Schreier, Jason (2011-08-16). "Brilliant Indie Game The Stanley Parable Will Mess With Your Head". Wired. http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/08/the-stanley-parable/. Retrieved 2011-08-16.
- ^ The 10th Annual Independent Games Festival. Retrieved on 2007-07-09
- ^ http://www.bgmod.com/
- ^ "Steam: Dino D-Day". Valve Corporation. http://store.steampowered.com/app/17780/. Retrieved 2011-03-18.
- ^ "Dino D-Day Features Nazi Dinosaurs". Discovery Channel. http://news.discovery.com/animals/dino-d-day-features-nazi-dinosaurs.html. Retrieved 2011-03-18.
- ^ "Dino D-Day: The Best World War II Shooter Ever". The Escapist. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96241-Dino-D-Day-The-Best-World-War-II-Shooter-Ever. Retrieved 2011-03-18.
- ^ a b c d "Feature: Mods of 2006 - Player's Choice - Mod of the Year". http://www.moddb.com/features/mods-of-2006-players-choice/2. Retrieved 2007-04-29.
- ^ "Winners: 2006 IGF Main Competition". http://www.igf.com/2006finalistswinners.html. Retrieved 2007-04-29.
- ^ Mods of 2005 feature - Mod DB
- ^ http://www.igf.com/php-bin/entries2007_mod.php?entry_id=179 IGF
- ^ http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v678/L3TUC3/EmpiresmodPCgamesjune2006-1-1.jpg
- ^ http://www.empiresmod.com/pdf/136_PCA_0606_Empires.pdf PC Action
- ^ http://www.steamfriends.com/reviews/p2_articleid/1048 SteamFriends
- ^ Empires - Planet Half-Life
- ^ Empires 1.06 - Planet Half-Life
- ^ a b c "Feature: Mods of 2006 - Player's Choice - Top Mods by Genre". http://www.moddb.com/features/mods-of-2006-players-choice/5. Retrieved 2007-04-29.
- ^ 2007 Mod of the Year Awards Event Player's Choice Winners Showcase feature - Mod DB
- ^ SteamFriends - Other - The SteamFriends Awards for 2007
- ^ "2007 Independent Games Festival Finalists". http://www.igf.com/02finalists.html#eternal. Retrieved 2007-04-29.
- ^ "Mods of 2006 - Editors' Choice". http://www.moddb.com/events/2006-mod-of-the-year-awards/features/23825/mods-of-2006-editors-choice#readarticle. Retrieved 2007-12-15. [dead link]
- ^ Planet Half-Life News. Fortress Forever Exclusive Release!. Retrieved 2007-09-18.
- ^ http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/3576/scan0001jl6.jpg
- ^ "Feature: Mods of 2005 - Mod of the Year". http://features.moddb.com/218/mods-of-2005/?fpage=4. Retrieved 2007-04-29.
- ^ "Feature: Mods of 2005 - Top Mod by Genre". http://features.moddb.com/218/mods-of-2005/?fpage=7. Retrieved 2007-04-29.
- ^ a b c "Feature" Mods of 2006 - Editor's Choice". http://features.moddb.com/288/mods-of-2006-editors-choice/?fpage=1. Retrieved 2007-04-29.
- ^ "Feature: Mods of 2005 - Top Unreleased: 5 to 2". http://features.moddb.com/218/mods-of-2005/?fpage=5. Retrieved 2007-04-29.
- ^ "2007 Mod of the Year Awards". ModDB.com. http://www.moddb.com/events/2007-mod-of-the-year-awards/features/players-choice-winners-showcase.
- ^ "The SteamFriends Awards for 2007". steamfriends.com. http://www.steamfriends.com/news/1066/steamfriends-awards-2007.
- ^ Rogers, Thomas (2008-08-09). "Jailbreak: Source 0.4". Planet Half-Life. IGN. http://planethalflife.gamespy.com/View.php?view=HLMotw.Detail&id=194. Retrieved 2008-09-16.
- ^ Mod, Report (Issue 08). Jailbreak: Source 0.4. Total PC Gaming. p. 66.
- ^ "Jailbreak: Source preview". Mod DB. 2008-04-12. http://www.moddb.com/mods/jailbreak/features/jailbreak-04-preview. Retrieved 2008-09-16.
- ^ "ModDB Jailbreak Interview". Mod DB. 2008-04-15. http://www.moddb.com/mods/jailbreak/features/modcast-episode-4. Retrieved 2008-09-16.
- ^ "Interlopers Jailbreak Interview". Interlopers. 2008-04-15. http://www.interlopers.net/articles/jailbreak-interview. Retrieved 2008-09-16.
- ^ Lincoln, Ross (2010-10-08). "Modular Combat 2.0.3?". Game Front. Break Media. http://www.gamefront.com/modular-combat-2-0-3/. Retrieved 2011-06-20.
- ^ Christopher Grant (January 22 2009). "Mario Kart: Source PC mod uses 'the best parts of each' MK game". Joystiq.com. http://www.joystiq.com/2009/01/22/mario-kart-source-pc-mod-uses-the-best-parts-of-each-mk-game/. Retrieved 2009-03-16.
- ^ Eliza Gauger (June 8, 2006). "Mario Kart Source, for All Your Mario Kart Needs". Kotaku.com. http://kotaku.com/gaming/mariokart/mario-kart-source-for-all-your-mario-kart-needs-179448.php. Retrieved 2009-03-16.
- ^ Nelson, Mike (2011-11-03). "Previews: No More Room in Hell Impressions". GameSpy. IGN Entertainment.
- ^ "No More Room in Hell Beginner's guide". NMRiH development team. http://www.nomoreroominhell.com/nmrihwiki/index.php?title=Beginner%27s_Guide. Retrieved 2011-11-19.
- ^ "No More Room in Hell". Valve Developer Community. http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/No_More_Room_in_Hell. Retrieved 2011-11-19.
- ^ 2007 Mod of the Year Awards event - Mod DB
- ^ "Perfect Dark:Source Mod for Half-Life 2 Mods of 2006 - Player's Choice feature - Mod DB". http://www.moddb.com/mods/5882/perfect-darksource/features/23824/mods-of-2006-players-choice/3#readarticle. Retrieved 2008-06-18.
- ^ "Feature: Mods of 2005 - Overall Top Mods: 15 to 11". http://features.moddb.com/218/mods-of-2005/?fpage=1. Retrieved 2007-07-22.
- ^ Valve Corporation (2008-09-26). "Valve's announcement of first 5 Source mods available on Steam". Steam News. http://storefront.steampowered.com/Steam/Marketing/message/1843/. Retrieved 2009-06-16.
- ^ Kendall, Steve (Aug. 26, 2007). "Synergy 2.5". Planet Half-Life. http://planethalflife.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Reviews.Detail&id=35.
- ^  News post announcing the release of Zombie Panic! Source
- ^ "2007 Mod of the Year Awards Event Player's Choice Winners Showcase feature - Mod DB". Archived from the original on 2008-01-31. http://web.archive.org/web/20080131175039/http://www.moddb.com/events/2007-mod-of-the-year-awards/features/25910/players-choice-winners-showcase/. Retrieved 2008-01-29.
- Developer resources
- Source SDK discussion forums
- Valve Developer Community
- Valve List Server Info
- Half-Life Mods wiki - An external wiki
- Mod news
- PlanetPhillip - Single player Half-Life 2 maps and mods database
- Amphibian Mods - List of notable HL2 single player mods
- ModDB - HL2 and other games mod profiles
Half-Life series Main series Portal seriesPortal · Portal 2 Other releasesHalf-Life 2: Deathmatch · Half-Life 2: Lost Coast · Half-Life 2: Survivor · The Orange Box Information and fiction Related articlesBook · Category · Video games Portal Video game technology by Valve Corporation Content delivery Game engines ModificationsGoldSrc modifications · Source modifications Other topics
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
Source (game engine) — Source engine … Wikipedia
List of Half-Life 2 mods — This is a selected list of Half Life 2 Mods (modifications). This list is divided into single player and multiplayer mods.Released single player mods* Eclipse A fantasy themed action adventure total conversion mod in 3rd person view, developed by … Wikipedia
Source port — This article is about software ported by the associated fan community. For software ported by the original developer, see porting. The term source port can also refer to the port from which a packet is sent, e.g. a TCP port. A source port is a… … Wikipedia
Source SDK — The Source SDK is a software development kit compiled by Valve Software that is used to create maps or mods for the Source engine.Utilities* Create a Mod * Refresh SDK Content * Reset Game Configurations There are also a number of smaller hidden… … Wikipedia
List of open-source video games — This is a selected list of open source video games. Open source video games are games assembled from and are themselves open source software, including public domain games with published source code. This list includes games in which the game… … Wikipedia
List of space flight simulator games — Part of a series on … Wikipedia
List of video game console emulators — This is a selected list of video game system emulators. For information about emulating specific systems, including those not covered by the emulators in this list, see the respective article for each system. Contents 1 Arcade 2 Atari 2.1 Atari… … Wikipedia
List of best-selling video games — This is a list of video games that have sold or shipped at least one million copies, including the top ten best selling franchises. ConsolesAtariAtari 2600Atari 2600 games that have sold or shipped at least one million copies. * Pac Man (7… … Wikipedia
List of undead-themed video games — This is a list of video games with an undead theme. Subjects for an undead theme may include zombies, vampires or ghosts. It also covers demons and werewolves which are death related and normally allies with undead. Most games with undead are… … Wikipedia
Counter Strike: Source — Counter Strike Counter Strike Éditeur Sierra Studios Développeur Valve Software Concepteur … Wikipédia en Français