List of Ode to Gallantry characters
- Shi Potian (石破天) - the protagonist of the novel who is often mistaken for Shi Zhongyu due to the similarity in appearance of the two. Other names that he has used include "Gouzazhong" (狗雜種; literally: "Dog Hybrid", slang for "bastard"), "Great Dumpling" (大粽子) and "Shi Yidao" (史憶刀).
Xuansu Manor (玄素莊)
- Shi Zhongyu (石中玉)
- Shi Qing (石清)
- Min Rou (閔柔)
Snowy Mountain Sect (雪山派)
Second generation disciples
- Bai Zizai (白自在) - the leader of the Snowy Mountain Sect. He suffers from depression after the departure of his wife and becomes extremely proud and arrogant, believing that his martial arts abilities are the best in the world, until he is eventually defeated by Shi Potian. He attends the Laba Feast on Heroes' Island with the intention of upholding the reputation of his sect.
- Cheng Zixue (成自學)
- Qi Zimian (齊自勉)
- Liao Zili (廖自勵)
- Liang Zijin (梁子進)
Third generation disciples
- Feng Wanli (封萬里) - the oldest disciple of Bai Zizai and teacher of Shi Zhongyu
- Bai Wanjian (白萬劍) - the son of Bai Zizai and Shi Xiaocui and father of Bai A'xiu
- Geng Wanzhong (耿萬鍾)
- Wang Wanren (王萬仞)
- Ke Wanjun (柯萬鈞)
- Huyan Wanshan (呼延萬善)
- Bao Wanye (包萬葉)
- Wang Wanyi (汪萬翼)
- Hua Wanzi (花萬紫) - the youngest disciple of Bai Zizai
Golden Crow Sect (金烏派)
- Shi Xiaocui (史小翠) aka Granny Shi (史婆婆) - the wife of Bai Zizai, mother of Bai Wanjian and teacher of Shi Potian. She leaves the Snowy Mountain Sect after a disagreement with her husband and founds the Golden Crow Sect.
- Bai A'xiu (白阿繡) - the daughter of Bai Wanjian, granddaughter of Bai Zizai and Shi Xiaocui, lover of Shi Potian and ex-lover of Shi Zhongyu. She attempts suicide by jumping down a cliff after being allegedly raped by Shi Zhongyu, but is later saved by Shi Xiaocui. She meets Shi Potian by chance and falls in love with him.
Changle Sect (長樂幫)
- Situ Heng (司徒橫) - former leader of the sect and predecessor of Shi Zhongyu. He leaves the sect after refusing to accept the expected invitation from Heroes' Island and engaging in an argument with Shi Zhongyu.
- Bei Haishi (貝海石) - the deputy leader of the sect. He makes Shi Zhongyu join the sect and become its puppet leader. He is the mastermind behind the mix-up between Shi Potian and Shi Zhongyu; he made marks on Shi Potian to make him replace Shi Zhongyu as the leader of the Changle Sect in an attempt to escape from being its leader and receive the invitation from Heroes' Island.
- Chen Chongzhi (陳冲之)
- Mi Hengye (米橫野)
- Zhan Fei (展飛)
- Shijian (侍劍) - the servant of Shi Zhongyu
Ding family and associates
- Ding Dang (丁璫) - the lover of Shi Zhongyu
- Ding Busan (丁不三) - the grandfather of Ding Dang and brother of Ding Busi
- Ding Busi (丁不四)
- Mei Wenxin (梅文馨)
- Mei Fanggu (梅芳姑) - the illegitimate daughter of Ding Busi and Mei Wenxin. She is the stepmother of Shi Potian and treats him badly, but her true identity is not revealed until the end of the novel.
Heroes' Island (俠客島)
- Zhang San (張三) and Li Si (李四) - the sworn brothers of Shi Potian, disciples of the Island Lords and the "Good and Evil messengers" (善惡二史) from Heroes' Island. They are feared for their ruthlessness throughout the wulin. They meet Shi Potian by chance and forge a friendship with him.
- Island Lord Long (龍島主) and Island Lord Mu (木島主) - the lords of Heroes' Island and teachers of Zhang San and Li Si. They die soon upon finding out the truth behind the carvings on the caves on the island from Shi Potian.
Four major sect leaders of Guandong (關東四大門派掌門人)
- Fan Yifei (范一飛)
- Gao Third Maiden (高三娘子)
- Lü Zhengping (呂正平)
- Feng Liang (風良)
Shangqing Monastery (上清觀)
- Tianxu (天虛)
- Chongxu (沖虛) - the ill-tempered Taoist and junior of Tianxu. He engages Shi Potian in a duel after Shi unintentionally insulted him.
- Lingxu (靈虛)
- Zhaoxu (照虛)
- Tongxu (通虛)
- Xie Yanke (謝煙客) - the pugilist on Sky-scraping Cliff (摩天涯). He is the owner of the Black Iron Tablets (玄鐵令). He holds the young Gouzazhong in captive, takes him to the cliff and teaches him Qi-cultivation techniques in the wrong order in an attempt to kill him, but fails.
- Wu Daotong (吳道通)
- Elder Dabei (大悲老人) - the lord of the White Whale Island (白鯨島). He is killed by members of the Changle Sect, but manages to pass eighteen wooden dolls to Shi Potian before his death.
- Cheng Dayang (成大洋) - the leader of the Flying Fish Sect (飛魚幫). He is murdered by Zhang San and Li Si after refusing to join the Laba feast on Heroes' Island.
- An Fengtian (安奉田), Feng Zhenwu (馮振武) and Taoist Yuancheng (元澄道人) - leaders of the Golden Sabre Stronghold (金刀寨).
- Zhou Mu (周牧) - a subordinate of An Fengtian who is responsible for the murder of Wu Daotong.
Jin Yong's wuxia novels The Book and the Sword (characters) (1955) Sword Stained with Royal Blood (characters) (1956) The Legend of the Condor Heroes (characters) (1957) The Return of the Condor Heroes (characters) (1959) Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain (1959) Other Tales of the Flying Fox (1960) Swordswoman Riding West on White Horse (1961) Blade-dance of the Two Lovers (1961) The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber (characters) (1961) Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils (characters) (1963) A Deadly Secret (characters) (1963) Ode to Gallantry (characters) (1963) The Smiling, Proud Wanderer (characters) (1967) The Deer and the Cauldron (characters) (1969) "Sword of the Yue Maiden" (1970)
Wikimedia Foundation. 2010.
Look at other dictionaries:
List of A Deadly Secret characters — The following is a list of characters from Jin Yong s wuxia novel A Deadly Secret. Contents 1 Main characters 2 Wan Zhenshan s associates 3 Blood Saber Sect (血刀門) … Wikipedia
List of Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils characters — The following is a list of characters from Jin Yong s wuxia novel Demi Gods and Semi Devils. There are about over 230 characters in the novel, including those who are only mentioned by name. Contents 1 Protagonists 2 Kingdom of Dali 3 Murong… … Wikipedia
Jin Yong — The Honourable Dr. Louis Cha 查良鏞博士 GBM, OBE Born February 6, 1924 (1924 02 06) (age 87) Haining, Zhejiang, China … Wikipedia
Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils — This article is about the novel. For other uses, see Demigod (disambiguation). For other uses, see Demi Gods and Semi Devils (disambiguation). Demi Gods and Semi Devils … Wikipedia
The Deer and the Cauldron — Lu Ding Ji redirects here. For other uses, see Lu Ding Ji (disambiguation). The Deer and the Cauldron Author(s) Jin Yong … Wikipedia